closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The P01 finds a fan

The P01 finds a fan

From this very enjoyable review by SJX: http://watchesbysjx.com/2019/03/tudo...01-review.html

"The P01 is a peculiar watch, and the response to it has been lukewarm. But I like, enough to actually buy one when it arrives. Watches that go far off the beaten track are usually the province of Kickstarter brands. Establishment names rarely do anything bizarre. Tudor, however, went one better. It has reproduced an outlandish watch often regarded as a fictitious. Crucially, the P01 has historical legitimacy – as well as a sense of humour.

"As the story goes, Tudor developed prototypes for a US navy tender in 1967* – the watchmaker kept two and sent the other two to the navy, which rejected the idea and went with another watch brand instead. The story takes a detour here, for some enterprising souls in the 1990s, relying on the patents filed by Rolex for project “Commando”, created ostensible prototype watches, mostly branded as “Rolex” instead of Tudor, that appeared at various auctions. One sold at Antiquorum in 2004 for 124,500 Swiss francs.

"Now Tudor has recreated an original, based on one of the prototypes retained in its archives, the real deal, in other words. That’s amusing, slightly self-deprecating, and appealing.

"The Black Bay P01 is an unusual, fun and well conceived watch that is strikingly good value for an offbeat watch. It will reach stores in July 2019."

Do read the whole review.

Interesting review thanks. I really like the dial and case, I just can’t get on with the look of the leather strap with unusual metal connectors to the end links. I’d love to see it on a metal bracelet, I think it would look loads better.
    Dan

Master
    The dial is really quite nice. Had it not had this peculiar locking contraption I honestly think it would become a hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If the lug to lug had been 48-50mm and not had the odd locking mechanism I wouldn’t mind the watch. I want to like but just can’t.

Master
    I was like most people appalled when I first saw it but have to admit it's growing on me.
    I believe that the lug to lug measurement is around 57 mm, so that's enough for me not to want one, but if the lugs were shorter and those hideous hinging end links were removed, I think it would be much improved.
    Will it be available on bracelet or is the leather strap the only option? What are those hinging end links for? Can they be removed? What would it look like on a Nato?
    So many questions!!!

Journeyman
    Nice, trading on its novelty back story...
    Unfortunately, I'd still need to look at it whenever I wanted to tell the time, this is the point where the backstory wouldn't make a jot of difference.

Master
    Looks like a novelty belt buckle with a little clock.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    All in all a bit of a disappointing showing from Tudor for Basel World 2019. Here's hoping 2020 is better.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    So true it is hard to believe they are arolex company

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Looks like a novelty belt buckle with a little clock.
    Painfully precise observation there :)

Whoever signed off on that is unhinged...

If it had normal length lugs and didn’t have either the bizarre locking mechanisms or the huge end links, then it would be a nice looking if unremarkable watch. As it is, the proportions are so bizarre that I can’t see who would want to buy it.

They’ve lost the plot.

Simon

Journeyman
    I know I'm in a minority and this watch seems to be dividing opinion but I really like it.

Its just at this price point there are so many other really nice options.

Master
    I’m a happy owner of a BB Heritage 41mm which ticks a lot of my boxes. However Tudor prior to the Blackbay had a whole catalog of oddball watches the hydronauts spring to mind. I feel that Tudor are returning to type.

It doesn't fit in with their recent profile as a kind of posh Steinhart, does it?

I hope those lugs are really curved downwards if the 57 mm lug to lug is correct: that is just stupid long otherwise.

This will be a good and easy candidate for the Seiko modders(minus fiddly end links).

It's a mess/miss for me. Crazy lug to lug, complex locking mechanism on an unlumed 12hr bezel, polished locking mechanism between brushed lugs.

Had the size been a bit more sensible, at least it would fit those that like it. But the lug to lug just renders it silly.

Reviving a prototype that no one thought sensible the first time round? Predictable outcome.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It doesn't fit in with their recent profile as a kind of posh Steinhart, does it?
    Ouch!

I don’t know why, but it reminds me of early CGI children’s TV programme “Knightmare”....

I think the presenter would have been all over the PO1.

That chap.

I like it overall. Have always liked fitted end links. I wish the bezel markings were standard.

Surreal comment....

Simon

Journeyman
    I also don't hate it as much as most people. I think it's quite charming, Tudor have enough Black Bays already in their collection. I wouldn't buy one for myself though.

Rolex probably employs the best marketing gurus that money can buy. Many if not most, of today's Black Bay wearers will eventually become Rolex's Submariner customers. They don't know that but Rolex knows that. The P01 is just a "noise machine". Rolex (or Tudor) don't care if you buy it or not, as long as you are talking about it. And you "are" talking about it so its job is done, now go and buy some "sensible" BBs.

Don't worry about the quirky details. The P01 will sell and sell out and at some point in the future it will become a highly collectable model. If you have money to spare, go buy one and stick it in the bank.

Blog Entries
    The hyperlink doesn’t seem to open anything readable - just a jpg. Maybe I am missing something

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The hyperlink doesn’t seem to open anything readable - just a jpg. Maybe I am missing something
    This link is still working fine for me

From this very enjoyable review by SJX: http://watchesbysjx.com/2019/03/tudo...01-review.html

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I don’t know why, but it reminds me of early CGI children’s TV programme “Knightmare”....

I think the presenter would have been all over the PO1.
    What to wear when trying on the PO1.

I love it, what is the diameter? And is there any idea of price yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    I love it, what is the diameter? And is there any idea of price yet?
    42mm, 57mm lug to lug, about £2700

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I believe that the lug to lug measurement is around 57 mm, so that's enough for me not to want one, but if the lugs were shorter and those hideous hinging end links were removed, I think it would be much improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I hope those lugs are really curved downwards if the 57 mm lug to lug is correct: that is just stupid long otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I make it to be just under 55 mm (not that that's much better). I could, of course, be wrong

Apart from the extra-long lugs and that bracelet-strap contraption, the crown and crown guards look, to me, weird and disproportionate too.

It's almost like the watch is made of whatever parts they had laying around
    Last edited by asteclaru; 23rd March 2019 at 11:56.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post

So around the same price as the GMT, the watch some thought would be kicked out the park by the latest Tudor release.

I think it looks a lot better without the metal strap bits... Like this, I like it a lot. It looks like what Seiko diver's ought to look but don't.
    Last edited by abraxas; 23rd March 2019 at 15:05.

The more I look at it,more I like it.
    So it has atleast one more fan and believe me before long there will be quite a few more, once the herd mentality loosens its grip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

I think it looks a lot better without the metal strap bits... Like this, I like it a lot. It looks like what Seiko diver's ought to look but don't.
    It looks quite good in this photo - although I agree that i the photo's of no-one wearing it the lug to lug looks ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    It looks quite good in this photo - although I agree that i the photo's of no-one wearing it the lug to lug looks ridiculous
    I think you need to have wide, very flat topped wrists to get it to work

Craftsman
    And a Labrador and a white stick to buy it

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Burn it...

This will be a classic and I am sure when they hit stores we will be seeing "I didn't like it at Basel, but when I tried it on......"

If this didn’t have the moronic strap and very long lug length, I could see a niche for this as a ‘luxury’ travel watch (automatic, 12hr bezel, decent lume) which could be worn everywhere without concern it might be mistaken for a Submariner and be forcefully removed etc. An SKX by Waitrose, as it were.

As it is, a few will buy it and enjoy it, but it will be a few.

Cool watch, I'd really like to try one on.

It's a welcome break from generic shiny divers and pastiche nonsense designed to make the red writing crowd go gaga.

I saw somewhere that the design language of the Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk came from the Tudor US Marines.

Looks pretty good on the wrist, I admire them at least for being a bit daring, we're going though a bit of a dull time for brands being adventurous with their designs. The metal strap bits are still there in that pic aren't they? It appears that way to me.

One of my dislikes with the looks of the strap fitting is it will be very limiting for replacement straps I'd imagine, I'm assuming the leather section will need to be much shorter than usual.

Not my cup of tea, but it's nice to see Tudor bringing something from the archives.

I really like the tone of the lume, the return to a simple lume-on-dial indices and the silver hand/white linear indices/ touch of red dial script.
    These are all really elegantly restrained design elements.
    But the case?
    No, sorry, it is just plain ugly and too long. It also addresses an issue that no longer exists. Bezel locking can easily be accomplished by a pring detente, like the Aquagraph and others have used.
    D

It does look a bit better and good point about the Seiko divers. Usually a Seiko reissue is 45mm and costs several grand more.

Craftsman
    Rolex probably employs the best marketing gurus that money can buy. Many if not most, of today's Black Bay wearers will eventually become Rolex's Submariner customers. They don't know that but Rolex knows that. The P01 is just a "noise machine". Rolex (or Tudor) don't care if you buy it or not, as long as you are talking about it. And you "are" talking about it so its job is done, now go and buy some "sensible" BBs.

Don't worry about the quirky details. The P01 will sell and sell out and at some point in the future it will become a highly collectable model. If you have money to spare, go buy one and stick it in the bank.
    I broadly agree the P01 seems almost a concept car that keeps the Tudor brand on our radar. This isn’t the first watch with quirks and won’t be the last. The marketing gurus are showing us ‘look no huge leap with Rolex this Baselworld, so let’s draw your attention back to the Bb’s!

Banned
    Would be nice to see a proper wrist shot and see if those end links actually work , overall I like it but again not sure how it would look on the wrist

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Looks pretty good on the wrist, I admire them at least for being a bit daring, we're going though a bit of a dull time for brands being adventurous with their designs. The metal strap bits are still there in that pic aren't they? It appears that way to me.

One of my dislikes with the looks of the strap fitting is it will be very limiting for replacement straps I'd imagine, I'm assuming the leather section will need to be much shorter than usual.
    In the pic... the bezel-lock elements are there. What are missing are the end-pieces and the parts that attach to the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    Would be nice to see a proper wrist shot and see if those end links actually work , overall I like it but again not sure how it would look on the wrist

Maybe this very short video might help...

https://youtu.be/Uq0rcNXeVpc

Craftsman
    Went to my local ad today to look at a couple of pieces
    Got talking about the po1 and they were the dame as us why
    Still you never no maybe this will be the next daytona ss with massive
    waiting lists and and a huge grey market
    But wait what was that might fly

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If the lug to lug was 48-50mm it would sell. Sadly it’s too big for many.