closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for inspiration...

Master

Looking for inspiration...

I sold my pelagos blue having bought my BB58 and realising I do prefer slightly smaller watches. The 58 is now my daily. I have an Omega aqua terra golf 41.5mm for weekend/smarter duty and a longines conquest for rougher duty. I was hoping for a modern 58 variant like the BB blue but that did not materialise.

I now have roughly 3k for a watch purchase for this year at some stage and nothing I like is in my budget. The world has moved on! My Omega was 3k ish when I bough it 5 years ago and they now retail for 4k ish. The older explorer 2 40mm is 5k ish for the later models and so on. First world problem I know but I never though I would not find a watch (all be it for my specific requirements) with a 3k budget. It looks like the answer is to wait and add to the pot to get something more expensive unless one of you can help?

My criteria is a sports watch with a GMT function, preferably a white dial, diameter of 39-42mm, thickness of now more than 13mm and lug to lug of no more than 50mm. All this for 3k ish....is it possible?

Stu

Craftsman
    Are you really itching to spend £3K this year?
    Why not carry on saving and then eventually buy the watch you really want?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    Are you really itching to spend £3K this year?
    Why not carry on saving and then eventually buy the watch you really want?
    I think that may be the only way forward. Certainly seems the most sensible.

For me Fortis, Sinn, Zodiac are offering great value for the money

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

Master
    White dial Aerospace? There was an Anniversary LE for sale on here not so long ago for well under your budget, and it sounds like you've nothing similar in your collection.

Or this?
    https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/...31/item/129705
    Last edited by gcleminson; 21st March 2019 at 12:10.

Binsull's Grand Seiko GMT on Sales Corner right now for £1900 is an amazing bit of kit.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    White dial Aerospace? There was an Anniversary LE for sale on here not so long ago for well under your budget, and it sounds like you've nothing similar in your collection.

Or this?
    https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/...31/item/129705
    Like the look of the omega. I’ll do more digging around that.

Taking a look at the rest of your collection I would chose a datejust.

Taking account that you want a Gmt I would save a bit in order to buy a 16570.

Craftsman
    I think we have similar tastes as I have an AT 8500 Golf and have been torn between a BB 58 and a blue Pelagos for a while now. I also have a BB GMT. If it were me with your requirements I'd get an Exp 2 Polar, though I understand that fairly catastrophically fails the £3k requirement.

Looking for inspiration...

For all the disappointment around this year’s Baselworld, I would be surprised were the BB58 not to come in variants over the next few years.

I’m guessing that the reason you haven’t bought a Black Bay GMT is because of the thickness? You state a maximum of 13mm... I think the BB GMT is 15mm. That and it doesn’t have a white dial. Maybe try it on to see if it bothers you? There could be a MkII watch that fits your criteria, the Key West, but it’s not a traditional manufacturer and is certainly not an original design... that’s not a criticism, but some find it problematic.

Have you thought about selling your watches and buying one ‘good watch’ and one you don’t mind bashing about?

You could have a Seiko/Timefactors/etc for rough stuff and then a c.7k watch.

It’s what I like, and it’s hardly a niche choice, but aluminium bezel Submariners would be what I’d buy... 14060 or 16610 depending on whether you want the date, and that budget would buy a beautiful one with a little left over. Or, a GMT from the same generation? A bit more expensive but still c.7k.

Another thought is that you might like to try an Omega Speedmaster? Get the Professional with plexiglass crystal, a beautiful and iconic watch which can easily be found at £3,000 from dealers such as Dom Hackett. (Have bought from him and would recommend) Mechanical chronographs are really rather special, and if you haven’t owned one then you should. I’d have thought it very easy to move on at modest loss if you don’t get on with it.

Ever thought about vintage? 3k can buy a lot there.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 24th March 2019 at 09:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperVM View Post
    I think we have similar tastes as I have an AT 8500 Golf and have been torn between a BB 58 and a blue Pelagos for a while now. I also have a BB GMT. If it were me with your requirements I'd get an Exp 2 Polar, though I understand that fairly catastrophically fails the £3k requirement.
    Indeed and I bought the Pelagos over the 42mm explorer polar because it wore bigger than its diameter suggests. The 40mm is spot on but too expensive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    For all the disappointment around this year’s Baselworld, I would be surprised were the BB58 not to come in variants over the next few years.

I’m guessing that the reason you haven’t bought a Black Bay GMT is because of the thickness? You state a maximum of 13mm... I think the BB GMT is 15mm. That and it doesn’t have a white dial. Maybe try it on to see if it bothers you? There could be a MkII watch that fits your criteria, the Key West, but it’s not a traditional manufacturer and is certainly not an original design... that’s not a criticism, but some find it problematic.

Have you thought about selling your watches and buying one ‘good watch’ and one you don’t mind bashing about?

You could have a Seiko/Timefactors/etc for rough stuff and then a c.7k watch.

It’s what I like, and it’s hardly a niche choice, but aluminium bezel Submariners would be what I’d buy... 14060 or 16610 depending on whether you want the date, and that budget would buy a beautiful one with a little left over. Or, a GMT from the same generation? A bit more expensive but still c.7k.

Another thought is that you might like to try an Omega Speedmaster? Get the Professional with plexiglass crystal, a beautiful and iconic watch which can easily be found at £3,000 from dealers such as Dom Hackett. (Have bought from him and would recommend) Mechanical chronographs are really rather special, and if you haven’t owned one then you should. I’d have thought it very easy to move on at modest loss if you don’t get on with it.

Ever thought about vintage? 3k can buy a lot there.
    The GMT is too think or I would definitely own one.

I like options and some watches I’d never sell such as my omega. It was a 30th present to myself and a represents a change in my career. Had thought about consolidation but just now I can’t bring myself to do it.

I looked at the soeedmaster bit not keen on chronocraohs in general and prefer automatics. Sadly the automatic speed masters are too think. I did consider the ceramic 300 with non wave dial but didn’t like it enough to pull the trigger.

I think the answer is to bide my time and see what else gets released. Just a bit surprised I need the thick end of 5k to get a watch within my criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post

It’s what I like, and it’s hardly a niche choice, but aluminium bezel Submariners would be what I’d buy... 14060 or 16610 depending on whether you want the date, and that budget would buy a beautiful one with a little left over. ...........
    The last of the pre-ceramics are the ones to aim for these days.

Master
    If you can stretch the budget a little, you can get a 16570 Polar.. Not sure why you want to spend a premium on a late model with the 3186 movement. From what I read online they are not as reliable.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KingKitega; 26th March 2019 at 15:45.

Master
    Update! Inspiration has struck. Wanting to build a diverse collection I have decided to hold our for a zenith el primero 38mm (https://m.zenith-watches.com/en_en_m...l-1969-46.html). It ticks an awful lot of boxes! Silver dial which is close enough to white for me, perfect dimensions, I don’t have a chronograph and it’s another make to add to my small collection. I am looking to add a blnr in a few years and that will leave me with a nice range of watches. A diver, chronograph, GMT, nice dress up or down omega and a longines for rougher duty.
    - Omega aqua Terra golf
    - Longines conquest spory ceramic
    - Tudor black bay 58
    - Zenith el primero 38mm
    - Rolex blnr

Thank you for all the responses.

Stu