closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Baselworld 2019: Zenith Defy Inventor

Blog Entries

Baselworld 2019: Zenith Defy Inventor

The new limited run movement - produced last year - reaches mainstream production for Zenith this year. Their innovations continue in their Defy range with the Defy Inventor. Still in the 44mm case but with the strange aluminium popcorn style polimer filled material making up the bezel but with Titanium case - it houses their revolutionary movement which gets rid of the normal escapement and the whole silicon structure vibrates at very high frequency but means it runs accurate even to 90% of the 60h pwr.

These will be produced in their 100s so still small runs. Priced at CHF 17,900.

Ref: https://monochrome-watches.com/zenit...n-video-price/

Obviously not to everyone’s tastes but good to see a watch house still being radical and innovative.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th March 2019 at 21:55.

It is nearly double the price that they promised it to be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It is nearly double the price that they promised it to be.

Interesting. Where did they promise the lower price? That is CHF if it helps any.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Interesting. Where did they promise the lower price? That is CHF if it helps any.
    +1 - be interested to hear where as well. Otherwise, good to see this making production.

Not a fan of the bubbled case at all, looks almost like it's diamond encrusted at a glance.

Put that movement in the Defy case of your chronograph Martyn, and then we're talking. The only reason the Defy Lab (and now Inventor) is if interest to me is the utterly mesmerising silicone oscillator.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not that keen on the looks but Zenith is carrying a torch for under the hood horology, none of this 'omg they made it with an coloured bezel' stuff.

My house is done with the same harling. Good stuff

Master
    I want Zenith to succeed; but the designs are, frankly, a mess. More Hublot than Zenith; especially sad because they are making brave moves in horology.
    And around £15k or so? That technology has to be paid for, but how many people who want such looks care about technological advance?
    Let’s have some traditionally elegant Zenith designs. The other thing is, early adopters syndrome. Let others take the risks inherent in such an advanced design.
    Brave souls!

Interesting and innovative but quite frankly I prefer the Zenith Defy 21 model you had on SC.

I like what they're doing and while there are some interesting bits to the design, there are some really awkward parts too.
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I want Zenith to succeed; but the designs are, frankly, a mess. More Hublot than Zenith; especially sad because they are making brave moves in horology.
    And around £15k or so? That technology has to be paid for, but how many people who want such looks care about technological advance?
    Let’s have some traditionally elegant Zenith designs. The other thing is, early adopters syndrome. Let others take the risks inherent in such an advanced design.
    Brave souls!
    I actually don’t agree with this...I think the skeletonised dials on all the Defy lines work really well, and are well executed. There is a touch of Hublot about the bezels but these mostly stand on their own as pieces with their own identity. And the movements leave Hublot in the dust. Zenith still have classic looking ranges as well, and clearly haven’t strayed far with the El Primero this year.

Ultimately they look to be on a strong upward trajectory from where I sit. I’ll seriously consider one of their pieces in the next few weeks if I’m honest. I’m not paying ridiculous prices for a Rolex that simply aren’t worth it. Zenith there seems to be some real thinking and innovation, alongside great pedigree and history.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike83 View Post
    There is a touch of Hublot about the bezels but these mostly stand on their own as pieces with their own identity.TZ-UK mobile app
    Apparently it was Hublot that developed the process for that material. They used it for the case as well as the bezel when they made the Defy Labs pieces and the design looked more cohesive.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 21st March 2019 at 09:02.