timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Autavia Isograph

Journeyman

Autavia Isograph

New Autavia this morning...and for the first time, no chronograph

https://www.calibre11.com/first-look...avia-isograph/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking range of watches, with a vignetted dial, date at a nicely symmetrical 6, and very classical index numeration.
    But
    I am not convinced this is an Autavia - that seems to be cynical brand engineering to give this new range a leg-up.
    It certainly isn't an Isograph, that has been the type of Rotring technical drawing pen that I first bought in 1982.
    Shame it is 42mm, this would be so much nicer at 40mm.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    N
    I am not convinced this is an Autavia - that seems to be cynical brand engineering to give this new range a leg-up.
    It certainly isn't an Isograph, that has been the type of Rotring technical drawing pen that I first bought in 1982.

Dave
    Couldn't agree more - don;t mind the range at all but using the Autavia name is a strange move

It's bloody nasty and not an Autavia.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it would be vastly improved by switching from arabics to markers.

Numerals are usual on an (aut)AVIAtion watch, is presumably the explanation? Are they lumed? Hard not to love lumerals.

I like the design, it's nice and friendly, is not trying to impress itself with severe looks, and doesn't remind me too much of anything else.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 20th March 2019 at 16:11.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    True, but its got a dive bezel on it?
    (I dont like numerals at all really)

Having never had either (too much temptation to fidget) I've never been too sure about the differences between divers bezels and pilots bezels. Bidirection? *cluelessface*

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    And TAG Heuer even agree with me on Instagram!

If my job was wandering around Instagram, I wouldn't be reading the captions neither.

Grand Master
    Apart from that ratty brown strap the watch is fine. First thing I’d do is bin that strap, I dislike brown straps with dark black/grey/blue dials, and that scruffy aged leather look puts me right off. Otherwise the watch looks good, I’m starting to like pilot-style watches because they’re v. easy to read.

Master
    Normally a TAG Heuer fan, but this leaves me a bit cold; mis-matched hands imho; numerals look very Breitling to me. And have to agree with others questioning the Autavia nomenclature.

A very good looking watch and some interesting technology involved with the carbon hairspring. It should never have been called an Autavia though...

Master
    Terrible !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it but I don’t see the connection to the Autavia heritage....

I wonder why they didn’t brand it Heuer.

Craftsman
    I want to like it and may do so if i get to see it in the flesh and might buy one should it ne in a sale (which it surely will at some point) but really it should have brought back the Pilot model name or maybe labelled it a Targa Florio. Its no Autavia.

Don't shoot the messenger. This is copied from Hodinky

"Remember when Heuer made Autavias for the Kenyan and Argentine Air Force? Even the most dedicated Heuer fans would only be able to name a small number of instances when the Autavia was actually used as a pilot's watch. For most, the watch made its mark on the F1 grid. Now TAG Heuer is experimenting with a side of the Autavia that's mostly forgotten; after all, the Autavia was conceptualized as a motorsports and aviation watch, right? AUTo + AVIAtion = AUTAVIA. Some might say it was about time the Autavia embraced its identity as a pilot's watch, but die-hard Heuer fans might also tell you there's a reason why it never originally caught on with the aviation crowd."

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    I want to like it and may do so if i get to see it in the flesh and might buy one should it ne in a sale (which it surely will at some point) but really it should have brought back the Pilot model name or maybe labelled it a Targa Florio. Its no Autavia.
    The Autavia reminds me of the IWC Pilots watch Mark XVIII ‘Le Petit Prince’. Perhaps If they had used the Pilot model name, the similarity would be too much.
    A little bit of digging finds that that the Autavia is powered by a chronometer-certified version of the Sellita SW200 but has a cutting-edge carbon composite hairspring.

The IWC is a movement based on the Sellita SW300

The Autavia clearly has IWC in its sights

Master

Will be sticking with this I guess!
    I wished they introduced a 40mm chrono gmt Autavia...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Kinda neat. I like the blue.. but something about the arabic numerals dont sit right with me!

I do really like it. Have the haters coined “notavia” yet? You’re welcome... but it’s a nice watch :)

I like it.

Far nicer than most TAGs.

Not being a Heuer zealot, I can't be bothered to hate it for sharing a name with an old watch...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd March 2019 at 20:40.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I like it but I don’t see the connection to the Autavia heritage....

I wonder why they didn’t brand it Heuer.
    There is an old Heuer from which this watch takes styling cues. Unfortunately it's also a chronograph.

I think they could have made a nice job of a three-hander by making it like the compressor case 7763 with the rotating bezel. But no.

This

Shameless milking of the name.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

And TAG Heuer even agree with me on Instagram!

One might think they hadn’t read it .....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    This version is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    One might think they hadn’t read it .....
    I like to think most people don't read anything I write.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post

That’s the one I hope to get if I can get around the 42mm size. I have 7.5 inch wrists. Shame I have to wait until June to try it on for size

I like that - my only criticism is that the Hour and Minute hands are too similar to make it easy to see the time at a glance.

Reminds me of some recent Christopher Ward releases (which is high praise from me - I've never previously seen any sort of Autavia that I'd want on my wrist).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Nice looking range of watches, with a vignetted dial, date at a nicely symmetrical 6, and very classical index numeration.
    But

Dave
    Agree on both counts, wrong name, wrong size....but I will try one out for size

I can't find anyone talking about this online, but I think this range is now available, I saw a window display of them in the Tag shop on Oxford Street last week. Those dials look really great irl. So great, I forgot to take a squint at the bracelets, which look really interesting in photos. Swisswatchesdirect are offering the bracelet models for 20% off, which is just a bit over £2500 iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    This

Shameless milking of the name.
    Absolutely true. Sorry but it’s a total mess.
    The only value here is the name which is getting abused with this model.

Model recall

I was very interested in adding one of these to my collection and was invited into the Nottingham Boutique for their big launch event. I duly arrived at my assigned time slot only to be told the courier had messed up and they wouldn't arrive for another couple of days. Oh dear.
    But they did give me a half bottle of Presecco and a carbon fibre TAG branded pen for my troubles.
    Finally saw one a few days later and I liked what is saw, but decided not to bite since my name was down for a 50th Anniversary Moonwatch.
    Dropped into TAG at the beginning of the month to take another look only to be told the watch had been recalled due to issues with the hairspring, and they had no idea when the watch would be available other than to same some time next year. Oh dear.

Has anyone else heard this?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post

Yes ı want it hope ı ll get it soon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    I was very interested in adding one of these to my collection and was invited into the Nottingham Boutique for their big launch event. I duly arrived at my assigned time slot only to be told the courier had messed up and they wouldn't arrive for another couple of days. Oh dear.
    But they did give me a half bottle of Presecco and a carbon fibre TAG branded pen for my troubles.
    Finally saw one a few days later and I liked what is saw, but decided not to bite since my name was down for a 50th Anniversary Moonwatch.
    Dropped into TAG at the beginning of the month to take another look only to be told the watch had been recalled due to issues with the hairspring, and they had no idea when the watch would be available other than to same some time next year. Oh dear.

Does seem to have disappeared without trace. Could not find it on the Tag site by browsing their collections. However, a google search shows this:

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...wbe5112-fc8266

Looks like the Isograph name is going to be replaced by Automatic. Which might support some of the rumours that there’s a problem with the new hairspring and it going back to the base Calibre 5 movement?

I think the £2,900 shown there was the same price as before when it was marked Isograph.

Edit: and the bracelet version is £3,200 which is definitely the same as before.

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post

Oh dear!

I took a trip up to London back in September. At that time the Tag shop in Oxford street told me that the Isograph s hadn’t been released yet and it was likely to be some time next year before they were available.

Which was funny because I then went into Selfridges who were proudly displaying one!!