closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Antique clock experts?

Antique clock experts?

Not technically watch talk, but is anyone knowledgeable about antique clocks?

I am thinking about buying a small Victorian black marble mantel clock. I’ve seen a few online under £500. I won’t post links as I don’t want to be unfair to sellers.

Some lack their original key, no information is available about time-keeping, and in some photos the dials seem wonky in the cases.

I’m interested in having a working clock. If it will cost several hundred to fix the mechanism it isn’t worth it.

Any thoughts or links greatly appreciated.

Craftsman
    Most of these clocks have french 2 1/2 inch movement in them secured by 2 brass lugs which often twist so the dial is out of line .
    This is not a major problem .
    The earlier movements had silk suspension and exposed count wheels on the strike mechanism which is usually on a bell . These are a tad more technical to repair .
    The more recent movements early 20c strike on a coiled gong .
    Any good clock repairer ( BHI listed / trained) will be able to help on these if they choose to work on this style of time piece .
    Your budget should allow you to pick something up that is working with a warranty if not a clock from an auction that needs servicing (ensure all the parts are present on the later) .
    I’m not a repairer but have collected these and Carriage clocks over the last 30 years so have a little amateur knowledge ... auction prices for these are very low currently and have been for sometime ... except for the clocks “signed” by the top makers and the English fusee movement examples . Good hunting and good luck .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Just a thought have a look at Winterhalder & Hofmeier clocks .
    These are German made , usual German engineering skills on the time piece and striking movements.
    These are usually housed inn wooden cases of various designs .
    Worth a look in case something stimulates your interest .... these are also repairable by BHI people .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Very useful
    Many thanks