closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I took the plunge! Jaeger-lecoultre Polaris Date (with pics)

Journeyman

I took the plunge! Jaeger-lecoultre Polaris Date (with pics)

Well... After countless months and trying it on 5 separate times, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a new Jaeger-lecoultre Polaris Date.
    I'm quite glad I didn't buy it when it was released last year as I managed to get nearly 30% discount off it here in Hong Kong. It retails for HK$64500 and I paid $45500 from an AD.

I initially had doubts over its size of 42mm (actually measures around 41mm) but the stubby lugs meant its 48mm lug-to-lug was quite manageable on my 6.8 inch wrists.

I love the vintage vibes of this piece; the not-overly-done subtle vanilla lume, boxed sapphire crystal, tiny Jaeger-lecoultre logo - it's so low-key, simple yet elegant. It's a perfect addition to my current collection of: Rolex Explorer, Rolex Explorer 2 and G-Shock GMW B5000.

Its timekeeping has also been stellar and far beyond my expectations. This is my most accurate mechanical piece - I've been wearing it 3 days in a row and it's only gained 1 second. My Rolex Explorer gains around 2 seconds a day. Quite incredible.

Tell me what you guys think!

cool boys names uk

Last edited by tcy148; 19th March 2019 at 15:44.

Craftsman
    That’s a very classy looking watch, enjoy

Craftsman
    Nice one ! Always liked it, however cannot convince myself to go for it ....

Well done. You cannot go wrong with a JLC... especially when you haven't paid list.

That is lovely. Well done.👍

that's lovely

I'm a big JLC fan and still have Master Compressor Geographic purchased in 2005 - so love the heritage of this piece and the 2 crowns

What's the strap like ?

Looks great. I'm surprised how well it fits actually. Stunning watch

Master
    Very nice. Very Longines legend in style but without excessive lug to lug. V legible. It's a winner for me.

Craftsman

Discount

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Well done. You cannot go wrong with a JLC... especially when you haven't paid list.
    Good solid pick up with a sizeable discount, which is probably needed at the moment to shift most JLC here in the UK but i feel that if they had substituted the date for a solid "3" marker the balance of the dial would have been perfect.

JLC have been hammering the polaris range on instagram ads, and they do look very nice!

Craftsman

JLC

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    JLC have been hammering the polaris range on instagram ads, and they do look very nice!
    I think this is JLC's big issue at the moment, they have nice models but nothing truely outstanding in a saturated watch market.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I think this is JLC's big issue at the moment, they have nice models but nothing truely outstanding in a saturated watch market.
    Hence the 30% discount? I recently got a similar discount on a new Zenith, from an AD. Which was, of course, pleasing. But the other side is that these watches can’t hold their price.....which hits used prices too. JLC, along with others such as Zenith, IWC and so on, have got to up their game, or cut prices.
    Last edited by paskinner; 19th March 2019 at 17:49.

Master
    A quite stunning looking watch from one of the best brands out there.
    its quality is truly outstanding.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    that's lovely

I'm a big JLC fan and still have Master Compressor Geographic purchased in 2005 - so love the heritage of this piece and the 2 crowns

What's the strap like ?
    The rubber strap is very supple, well made and pretty much pulls right down. It's got a clous de Paris design on it and doesn't taper at all. Deployant buckle is removable.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Good solid pick up with a sizeable discount, which is probably needed at the moment to shift most JLC here in the UK but i feel that if they had substituted the date for a solid "3" marker the balance of the dial would have been perfect.
    I actually like the white date aperture on the 3 marker; the original Polaris had one too. I have a Rolex Explorer with the 3,6,9. This 6,9,12 arrangement is a nice addition.

Thomas Reid
    That's a nice watch, with a reasonably balanced dial.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Blog Entries
    I call it the roulette wheel because of the concentric circles - I like it so good choice

Very class and beautiful watch, which will go with almost any outfit!

Master
    Was it easy to get a 30% discount, if so where from? I am going to Hong Kong and Japan this year and will be watch shopping.

Cheers Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this a lot so thumbs up from me. I wish they’d stick a date on the non-date as I prefer the dial design and white rather than aged lume. I’m splitting hairs though as I think they all look good.

19mm lug width though right? I’m a serial strap changer and don’t like the idea of squeezing 20mm straps on it. Wonder if this is such a bit problem?

Craftsman
    Very modern clear dial i like it.

Master
    Very nice choice. Enjoy it !

thats stunning and a really classy JLC.

Simply classic
    Gray

Nice watch

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Was it easy to get a 30% discount, if so where from? I am going to Hong Kong and Japan this year and will be watch shopping.

Cheers Fred

I got this discount from an AD that I've shopped with a few times (I live in Hong Kong). That said, you're able to get a good discount on most brands (outside of Rolex) here.
    The discounts generally depend on specific models. Even the big watch dealers (Prince Jewellery and Elegant watch company - the 2 I recommend) usually offer some kind of discount, expect around 15% to 20% minimum on brands like JLC, Vacheron, Oris and sometimes they even throw in an additional strap or two if you haggle enough. 25% is achievable even if you're a first time buyer. Always haggle here in Hong Kong! Always!

Hong Kong has a huge variation of watch shops - check out Montrez in Tsim Sha Tsui (they also have a fb page and website) for grey market imports that include manufacturer's warranty. They even have some discounted Rolexes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    Like this a lot so thumbs up from me. I wish they’d stick a date on the non-date as I prefer the dial design and white rather than aged lume. I’m splitting hairs though as I think they all look good.

19mm lug width though right? I’m a serial strap changer and don’t like the idea of squeezing 20mm straps on it. Wonder if this is such a bit problem?
    I think it's actually a 21mm lug width for all models in the Polaris range.

Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    Ah, thanks very much.

Craftsman
    Very nice pickup! Congrats!

Very nice! I like the blue dials but I think this is the pick of the bunch for me as it brings to my mind most the original Polaris and also I'm a sucker for a dual crown!

Master
    Wonderful watch with a healthy discount, well done.

Craftsman
    Well plunged!

Excellent taste - looks very good, one of JLC's better releases over the last few years. Enjoy!

That looks really really nice, very jealous

It looks really nice !

Master
    Very nice indeed.

Such a restrained, practical and yet totally elegant design. Lovely
    Dave

Journeyman
    This looks like a lovely dress watch but with the markers it looks like some 'maritime' heritage (in my view anyway). I actually like how subtle the JLC branding is on it. Nice job!

Very classy, this and the Longines Heritage both are very nice reissues of this style.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    I got this discount from an AD that I've shopped with a few times (I live in Hong Kong). That said, you're able to get a good discount on most brands (outside of Rolex) here.
    The discounts generally depend on specific models. Even the big watch dealers (Prince Jewellery and Elegant watch company - the 2 I recommend) usually offer some kind of discount, expect around 15% to 20% minimum on brands like JLC, Vacheron, Oris and sometimes they even throw in an additional strap or two if you haggle enough. 25% is achievable even if you're a first time buyer. Always haggle here in Hong Kong! Always!

Hong Kong has a huge variation of watch shops - check out Montrez in Tsim Sha Tsui (they also have a fb page and website) for grey market imports that include manufacturer's warranty. They even have some discounted Rolexes.

- - - Updated - - -

Appreciated

Congrats! That's a nice looking watch and like good on your wrist.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Excellent taste - looks very good, one of JLC's better releases over the last few years. Enjoy!
    I agree. That said, I actually think the Polaris line is a little too reserved for JLC, the date and the Memovox have the most charm IMo. I liked their Master Compressor range a lot but couldn't get past the big compressor crowns. Most of them also wore too large for my wrists.