closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: In-House Movements and Conspicuous Production

In-House Movements and Conspicuous Production

Heads-up on an interesting and thought-provoking article at sjxwatches [ http://watchesbysjx.com/2019/03/cons...movements.html ]. Discussion of the role of 'conspicuous production' (new to me anyway) in adding perceived value to luxury goods.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Thanks - interesting article.

Though one thing I would say - Swatch restricting ebauche sales drove the industry to look for alternatives. The marketing geniuses behind the brands found a way to upsell the benefits of in-house in this context while securing their future. Panerai exemplify this the best IMO.

interesting read. thanks.

Interesting link, though surprised to see no mention of the real benefit to the brands with in house movements of exclusive servicing limiting consumers choices drastically when servicing/repairs are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    ...The marketing geniuses behind the brands found a way to upsell the benefits of in-house in this context while securing their future. Panerai exemplify this the best IMO.
    What they did not take into account was that the move to in-house was a way for them to survive and not redefine them as haute-horology with prices to match. Not all in-house's are built alike. Many of the new in-house movements will not be here in 15 years, especially those with 7 and 9 day PR.

Master
    Interesting read, thanks.

Many thanks for posting that; doubt I’d have seen it otherwise...

Interestingly put indeed.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    What they did not take into account was that the move to in-house was a way for them to survive and not redefine them as haute-horology with prices to match. Not all in-house's are built alike. Many of the new in-house movements will not be here in 15 years, especially those with 7 and 9 day PR.
    Absolutely correct - we are basically in a scenario where these watches are disposable. They expect you not to service them but buy a new watch. And if you're lucky, the manufacturer will still serve the watch for you - at a hefty, hefty premium.