closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Military issued watch help

Military issued watch help

Hi I saw The following post on a watch buying group on Facebook and I was hoping someone may have some knowledge to help this young lady.

I'm really hoping someone on this group can help me!! I'm looking for some advice to help me find the issue watch my grandad would have received when serving in the RAF. He was actively serving between 1970 - 1985 at RAF Honington in the UK I believe it might have been CWC Pilot Chronograph but I'm hoping if someone could clarify this for me?! Additionally if anyone has one or know or someone selling one please please please let me know, desperate to get hold of one for him while I still can to surprise him ... Thank you in advance!

Best course of action is to ask him. He might never have even been issued with a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Best course of action is to ask him. He might never have even been issued with a watch.
    She doesn’t really want to ask him as it’s a surprise and I think he was and that is why she wants to get him a replacement

Craftsman
    Did he fly or was he ground crew?

Could be an expensive venture if its a chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post

I have just asked her 👍🏿

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post

Her reply

he definitely flew planes, and I’m certain he got issued one , can’t recall what the plane was called but he was speaking to me about it before being a yellow plane that they used to train in WW2 I think? (Not sure if that’s helpful?!)

Seams strange to me but might make sense to someone

If he was aircrew, which is what it would have needed for him to receive a watch, I don't see how he could have remained at the same base for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    If he was aircrew, which is what it would have needed for him to receive a watch, I don't see how he could have remained at the same base for 15 years.
    Yes seams strange to me that one as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Or ask one of his old pals. I have to assume that you know he will appreciate the watch for sentimental or other reasons.

Otherwise, was he aircrew (I'd assume that he was)? Was he a pilot or navigator? What type of aircraft did he fly? Which squadron? All of these may (note may) help to narrow down the watch he might have been issued with within the fifteen year time frame.

All of which may make my first suggestion...ask one of his old pals...the easiest option. If that isn't possible, then you might as well forego the surprise and explain your thought process to him...I'm sure he will appreciate the thought...and get him something you know he will like by showing him the various military (and other) models you can find.

Craftsman
    Chronograph could be:
    Lemania series 3 (unlikely but possible)
    then most likely one of the Fab Four: Hamilton, CWC, Precista or Newmark
    Seiko Gen 1 from 1984

Thank you I am sending her the reply’s

Likely not to be a cheap present TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Likely not to be a cheap present TBH.
    It looks like she has sold at least 4 high value watches in the last few months all over £2k in value

The obvious alternative (if they had not just sold out) would have been to get the Newmark Re-issue...........

D

All of the "fab four" have been reissued in modern times so there is that option. Has she not got any photos of him wearing it?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    All of the "fab four" have been reissued in modern times so there is that option. Has she not got any photos of him wearing it?
    I will ask her but I think that would have been her first thought

Craftsman
    A Precista chronograph sold at WOK yesterday for £2,500 + fees.