closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on money and a holiday to the USA

Master

Advice on money and a holiday to the USA

Other than a few days in the EU, I've never been abroad on my own so rather clueless. I've read various money-saving expert articles etc, but would be interested in some personal experiences.

Heading to the USA for a few weeks, and plan to take around £3000 to cover general spending (will not have any accommodation costs). What do you think would be the best way to take my money with me so to speak. Pre paid travel card credit card cash, combination etc? Any suggestions welcome. I don't have a credit card, but will need to apply for one anyway so that I can rent a car for a few days, so if there is one you've used which has proved itself better for spending abroad etc...

Any input welcome :) totally out of my depth.

Blog Entries
    Revolut card and Halifax clarity credit card... job done. Honestly used Revolut for last 2 trips to US, works brilliant and you get much better exchange rate.

Monzo card - load with money as and when, better exchange rate.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Yep, I use a Halifax credit card when away (others are available with zero/low commission). I don't feel the need to carry much cash unless it's for the odd coffee, tips & taxi's these days unless I'm in a developing country.

Enjoy your trip.

The Clarity card from Halifaxis useful but do make sure there is enough on the card to cover the car rental block which they put on in case of accidents .
    I’d take a few hundred dollars, a prepaid debit card (Monzo maybe) and a couple of credit cards.
    I’d also take out car hire insurance over here to protect yourself as over there the insurance will probably increase the costs significantly.

As others have said, I would also recommend a pre-loaded currency card...or if you are getting a credit card then check what the surcharge is for transactions in dollars. I've sometimes found that the credit card rate even with the surcharge has resulted in a good overall exchange rate....either option reduces the need for too much cash, although a fistful of dollars is always useful for small purchases and, in particular, tips !

Also, if renting a car over there, might be best to get an International Driving Permit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinheadlights View Post
    Revolut card and Halifax clarity credit card... job done. Honestly used Revolut for last 2 trips to US, works brilliant and you get much better exchange rate.
    This is exactly what I do, works brilliantly.

Craftsman
    I use revolute everywhere I go it is fantastic, was sceptical about it at first but it is seriously one of the most useful things I have ever had, I travel a lot with work etc and never have to worry about cash etc and the security settings are top notch.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Going in June and taking a couple of Halifax Clarity cards and Monzo card (it’s not a prepaid debit card it is just a normal debit card attached to a current account). Will take a few dollars but Monzo allows £200 a month fee free as well.

Craftsman
    I have a Halifax Clarity card and travel lots with work , cannot say I have ever needed anything else other than a minimum of the local currency for gratuities.

How might a Revolut or Monzo card compliment my current set up ?

Blog Entries
    At least the time of cash is over: last two trips to the USA proved me that you can have a holiday without a single coin or bill in your pocket. Everything you want to buy/get can be bought with 'plastic'. It is, however, best to book and buy tickets for venues before you go! It's worth an evening searching for 'best prices' and 'vouchers' for popular venues in the US

On the other side of the spectrum... Don't go to Germany without cash! Smaller shops and even restaurants do not accept cards. Everything has to be paid in cash, even in big cities! ATMs are easily found, though.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

On the other side of the spectrum... Don't go to Germany without cash! Smaller shops and even restaurants do not accept cards. Everything has to be paid in cash, even in big cities! ATMs are easily found, though.
    Tell me about it... I thought that things might have moved on in the seven or so years since I was last in the capital but on a recent visit my generous host had to bail me out more than once.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Tell me about it... I thought that things might have moved on in the seven or so years since I was last in the capital but on a recent visit my generous host had to bail me out more than once.
    Even when you do use an ATM they chuck out 50s and 100 notes which smaller retailers don’t like.

Unfortunately in the US you can’t avoid ATM fees even with Clarity card. Usually around £3 per transaction. So, best to get one wedge out, to avoid multiple transaction fees.

Also, quite a few places charge extra for using credit cards, eg gas stations and 7-Eleven.

I just take a big bag of cash and a credit card.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Thanks all. Sounds like hallifax, revolut, and a few hundred of cash should do the job. Don't really intend or want to use a credit card, it's purely for car rental.

Master
    Halifax card here as well and some notes (around $750 for 2 weeks in USA). Always works for me.

America has a lot of 'drive-thru' ATMs, I sometimes wonder why they have Braille on the keypads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    America has a lot of 'drive-thru' ATMs, I sometimes wonder why they have Braille on the keypads.
    Same goes for the remote of my LG TV... Braille! Why?

Master
    As others have said a combination of cash and cards , I too use revolut occasionally much better exchange rates

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Same goes for the remote of my LG TV... Braille! Why?
    So those with sight loss can listen to TV programs,,?

Blog Entries
    ATMs in the US can be found -like in Europe- at the entrance of supermarkets as well. It's worth checking though how much 'fee' you have to pay for using the ATM. 3 gbp is already mentioned, but other fees can be higher or lower. Sadly, this is not always clear.