closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daughter's 21st - I must be going mad

Master

My daughter's 21st - I must be going mad

It's my eldest daughter's 21st in two weeks. I have got a yellow gold Rolex Day Date reference 1803 that has lovely warm and soft colours including beautiful condition pearly colour dial. She absolutely loves this watch and I have allowed her to wear it for some special occasions. Its 36 mm and much too large for her as she's not very big and of slight build, but she loves it. I have told her that she will have it one day when I am gone but I am going to it to her for her birthday. I have made the decision based on the fact that I wear it around once per year so that makes it worn about 10 times in the last 10 years. Maybe I am spoiling her rotten, I don't know. But I do know that I'm setting a precedent for my other two daughters for two and four years time!

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    It's my eldest daughter's 21st in two weeks. I have got a yellow gold Rolex Day Date reference 1803 that has lovely warm and soft colours including beautiful condition pearly colour dial. She absolutely loves this watch and I have allowed her to wear it for some special occasions. Its 36 mm and much too large for her as she's not very big and of slight build, but she loves it. I have told her that she will have it one day when I am gone but I am going to it to her for her birthday. I have made the decision based on the fact that I wear it around once per year so that makes it worn about 10 times in the last 10 years. Maybe I am spoiling her rotten, I don't know. But I do know that I'm setting a precedent for my other two daughters for two and four years time!

Stunning and a lovely gesture. I’d love to do something similar for mine but it’s a sad indictment of the world we live in that I wouldn’t be comfortable with my kids wearing something like this with the attraction it’s likely to draw. I guess all we can do is make them aware of the risks.

I am in a similar situation having purchased a Rolex recently for my son’s 21st, however I am seriously having second thoughts due to the potential attention it may bring.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Stunning and a lovely gesture. I’d love to do something similar for mine but it’s a sad indictment of the world we live in that I wouldn’t be comfortable with my kids wearing something like this with the attraction it’s likely to draw. I guess all we can do is make them aware of the risks.
    Absolutely spot on (in all respects).

Master
    I don't know where you live and where your daughter goes but I really don't think it would be a good idea to have that as a watch to wear any time she is not in a crowd.

Beautiful watch but very noticeable.

My lad was 21 last year and I agonised about getting him a Rolex, Omega or similar, but in the end got a Vostok Amphibia and fitted it with the SE bracelet.

In time (and when he's no longer at uni) I can get him something that he's picked out himself, and for now he's happy that he's got something with heritage that no-one else is wearing and he doesn't have to worry about it as it's inexpensive and tough as old boots.

Master
    Yes - well aware of the dangers. She's currently at uni in London which is about as bigger contrast as you can get to the little Northern town that we live in, so she is already a bit nervous as it is. I will be making her fully aware that it's not an everyday wearer but a special occasion watch, dinner parties, going out for dinner etc. I know she will treat it as that because she has a couple fairly low value little treasures that she is very cautious with.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't quote for London but most people in working class towns/cities automatically assume people are wearing fakes - just like theirs? Set the time 1 hour ahead and If anyone asks the time she can check her phone
    Last edited by Suds; 17th March 2019 at 15:43.

lovely gesture my friend but as a londoner i'd echo the notes of caution sounded here. personally i would advise against this, but if you do then make sure it's fully insured, and that she knows it, so if confronted she is ready to hand it over. i am a fit guy who's done some amateur boxing but i take the same precaution (and i have nothing as eye-catching as that!)
    Last edited by robinsongreen68; 17th March 2019 at 16:09.

Journeyman
    The problem isn't just limited to just luxury watches I'm afraid, my son got robbed at knife point for a £200.00 fashion brand watch, the bag heads have no morals and will rob you of anything. I'm also in a similar predicament op as said son is 21 soon, and I'm very weary of getting another one for him to attract more attention. Lovely gesture though.......

Master
    Crazy to wear out, unless you or she is paying serious money to rent high end and then you still run a high risk as watch thieves are ever present around Notting Hill / Kensington.
    I would wait until she is settled somewhere. If she doesn’t wear it out I’d assume it’ll be left in student digs? No insurer will tend to cover that level of loss.
    Maybe hold it in your own safe storage and when she is back home wear it then .
    A quirky Casio digital seems to be the assumed street wear at the moment. That’s what I’d wear around New Cross , East London or general inner city London.

a 'good' postcode is no help, i used to live in notting hill and women especially often had their phones/bag snatched, friends in chelsea have said the same. thieves go where the pickings are richest

Good areas get targeted, good people get targeted. Sorry to pish on your thread and I understand and agree with your sentiment as a father and watch enthusiast but I would respectfully suggest caution with this gesture. You would feel awful if she was involved in any horrible situation because of a watch. Plus, I'm sure your other children will expect an equal value gift when their times come.

After that doom and gloom I hope your daughter has the most amazing 21st birthday celebration. : )

Master
    I'd be very nervous of that off her wrist and in student accommodation. Waiting until that is out the way and she is settled is worth while.

You say it's too big, maybe a ladies version world be better and a lot less likely to get targeted by thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I'd be very nervous of that off her wrist and in student accommodation. Waiting until that is out the way and she is settled is worth while.

You say it's too big, maybe a ladies version world be better and a lot less likely to get targeted by thieves.
    Are thieves like watch forum members, and won't touch anything under 36mm?

Craftsman
    Amazingly generous, but after living in London for well over decade, I wouldn’t recommend it out of safety.
    A gold Rolex stands out from a mile away, especially on a ladies wrist, no matter how careful you are (there’s really no such thing as an stealth Rolex).

I would suggest waiting until she is a bit older, it would make a really special wedding gift for example.

Lovely gesture but as someone who works in London I personally wouldn't. If she wears it more than you and loves it, it's going to be hers soon anyway. Save it for her 24th or 25th when she's in her first job and hopefully that type of London crime is not as unchallenged as it currently is.

I'd buy her a place marker of her choice that suits her lifestyle for daily wear and save the heirloom for another day.
    My 21 year old is a sensible lad. So much so he doesn't want the responsibility of ownership of anything with sentimental value yet
    Gray

Master
    Whilst I do agree with all the caution here, I also think it’s a wonderful gift which I’m sure your daughter will treasure always. Some do’s and dont’s and being ultra cautious is about all you or her can do. The watch is there to be enjoyed :-)

Master
    Smaller is less noticeable, and If the thief knows watches enough to steal expensive, what they know is the resale value which is a good chunk less for ladies sizes. Not saying they won't steal a ladies, but I think they will look for men's.

I don't think London is too bad, but I always tuck my watch under the shirt cuff/jacket sleeve when outside. I also tend to notice if someone glances at my wrist, I don't hang about in quiet spots and most of all the watch is insured

Master
    Want to adopt me? Seriously though it is thought to leave family something nice, but it’s really great when you can still be around to see them enjoy it, so I think you’re doing the right thing, I’m sure if she is not aware of the danger that when you explain she will take the advice on board. If we worried about every possible outcome we’d never get out of bed. Hope she wears it in good health.

Master
    Buy her a new one you tight old man

Master
    As lovely a gesture as this is, I don't think it's wise for a female student in London to wear such an obviously expensive item, which is a shame.

i think some are missing the point that the concern is not for the watch- which after all is only a lump of metal- but the thought that, god forbid, she could face an unpleasant situation with a potential thief. i'm sorry to say but this type of thing is increasingly common.

Master
    I'm sure one of the young guys fatally stabbed in Greenwich last year was wearing a Rolex. No idea if that was the cause of everything, but it does happen.

I wouldn't want my daughter walking around with £10k's worth of bling on her wrist, but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    i think some are missing the point that the concern is not for the watch- which after all is only a lump of metal- but the thought that, god forbid, she could face an unpleasant situation with a potential thief. i'm sorry to say but this type of thing is increasingly common.
    I can tell you from experience having a watch stolen from your wrist is not a nice experience hence deciding I am not going to give my son a Rolex for his 21st.

Luckily for me no violence was used but still to this day I am very conscious of a watch on my wrist.

Blog Entries
    Great gesture. Give the watch to your daughter and she can wear it on special occasions. I think a lot of people are overthinking as I never took it that your daughter was going to use the watch as a daily wearer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    What a wonderful gesture.

If you have got it then why not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Crazy to wear out, unless you or she is paying serious money to rent high end and then you still run a high risk as watch thieves are ever present around Notting Hill / Kensington.
    I would wait until she is settled somewhere. If she doesn’t wear it out I’d assume it’ll be left in student digs? No insurer will tend to cover that level of loss.
    Maybe hold it in your own safe storage and when she is back home wear it then .
    A quirky Casio digital seems to be the assumed street wear at the moment. That’s what I’d wear around New Cross , East London or general inner city London.
    I am well acquainted with the ‘downsides’ of London and will advise my daughter (and I’m in the process of getting her a nice watch) to be wary of your surroundings with such a desirable item. It’s well known that spotters exist around tube exits knowing full well that people get their phones out, and then guess what happens. The same thing happens in pubs in London where ladies have their bags swiped as there are spotters who are just again waiting for them to be distracted. The same thing occurs in cafes or outdoors where the spotters again scout targets who have high value items. It’s a shame that we have to be so aware of this, but I will advise my daughter not to make herself a target.

Craftsman
    As someone who had a couple watches taken of my wrist over the years, when working in Brazil, I understand the fear, but, to the OP, a real nice gesture !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Until recently I had a Rolex Sub and GMT which I intended to give to my boys on either their 18th or, more likely, 21st.

I then had a rethink and sold the GMT. In its place I bought a Tudor GMT for me and two Sinn 556A - one for each of them.

I thought that probably more appropriate.

Of course this is completely subjective. Ultimately you have to do what feels right to you.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Lovely gesture. But... what the others said. Certain people have a 'trained eye' for spotting a real vs fake. And a golden is icing on the cake for them. Give her an Apple watch. Most youngsters I know don't need the fuss of a watch; your iPhone is telling the time for you! And since most are 24/7 on their phone, it's easy for them to read the time.

M

A couple of years ago I bought a 114060 for my son's 18th. A bit of tradition in the family, my dad bought me a Omega Seamaster when I turned 18.

However I am not thinking rather that a 18th present , perhaps it would be better to wait until his 21st or even his 25th.

It would crush me if anything was to happen to him, but it would be even worse if it was because he was wearing a posh watch I had given him. In the meantime he can carry on wearing his beaten up issued Pulsar (birth year).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

It would crush me if anything was to happen to him, but it would be even worse if it was because he was wearing a posh watch I had given him.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I'd buy her a place marker of her choice that suits her lifestyle for daily wear and save the heirloom for another day.
    My 21 year old is a sensible lad. So much so he doesn't want the responsibility of ownership of anything with sentimental value yet
    Wise words.

Master
    Men who wear YG Rolex bracelets look conspicuous and hence become more likely to be targetted. Women on the other hand wear gold everything and tend to blend into the background. My wife wears her YG 31mm Rolex DJ as her daily beater and no one ever notices it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Men who wear YG Rolex bracelets look conspicuous and hence become more likely to be targetted. Women on the other hand wear gold everything and tend to blend into the background. My wife wears her YG 31mm Rolex DJ as her daily beater and no one ever notices it.
    I do actually think this is true - if you look at a lot of women’s fashion brand watches, they are garish and blingy by design. Think Michael Kors as an obvious example.

To the OP... if it was my daughter and I was in your position I think I would give her the watch, but not as an everyday wearer - that might be pushing her luck a bit too far. If she’s sensible (as she sounds) and wears it ‘for best’, then I think she’ll be fine (and very lucky!).

You are setting a tough precedent for yourself, though ...

Simon

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it's an excellent gift and she'll be thrilled.

If you have concerns over safety, maybe suggest leaving it at home until studies in London are concluded.

You are not going mad. That is a kind, loving gesture that only a father can understand. A lot of well meaning advice in the preceding replies but I think there is an exaggeration of the risk involved. London is far from being the crime capital of the world. As long as she takes common sense precautions, she should be fine. Situations put people at risk of mugging not watches.

Craftsman
    It can happen anywhere, Last summer I was waiting for the last bus home after a couple of beers and some fella just walking past clocked my orange PO...

He stopped in his tracks to ask me if it was real at which point I laughed it off and said nah a Chinese special. Luckily the bus came or I do think he might of been tempted to rob me.

Edit -context - seems the previous post may have been deleted about getting into dodgey situation re theft...

A lot of the posts here are rightly addressing the potential mugging issue but I’d me equally concerned about where it would be kept when not on her wrist. Having an item of that value in student accommodation would give me the willies.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    A lot of the posts here are rightly addressing the potential mugging issue but I’d me equally concerned about where it would be kept when not on her wrist. Having an item of that value in student accommodation would give me the willies.
    A fair chunk of students don’t live in shite hole digs these days. They rent penthouse apartments with 24hr concierge

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    A fair chunk of students don’t live in shite hole digs these days. They rent penthouse apartments with 24hr concierge
    Crikey is that true, you’re kidding no...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Crikey is that true, you’re kidding no...
    Can’t comment on the south because it’s more expensive but in sheffield a good number of the students live in upmarket halls or private apartments that 10years ago you’d have needed a decent job to afford.

There’s one place just opened that’s more akin to a boutique hotel than student halls.

Master
    Thanks for all of the comments. I know for sure she wont be wearing it on a regular basis. She has a watch right now, a couple hundred worth high street and she only wears that on special occasion as she is scared of losing it. She also puts her phone away when walking around, on public transport, going out etc as I have warned her about phone snatchers. I think it will be given with the proviso that its a special occasion watch. She is sensible enough to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I do actually think this is true - if you look at a lot of women’s fashion brand watches, they are garish and blingy by design. Think Michael Kors as an obvious example.

To the OP... if it was my daughter and I was in your position I think I would give her the watch, but not as an everyday wearer - that might be pushing her luck a bit too far. If she’s sensible (as she sounds) and wears it ‘for best’, then I think she’ll be fine (and very lucky!).

You are setting a tough precedent for yourself, though ...

Simon
    On balance I think this is where I stand too. Women are always wearing gold of one sort or another, and in any event nobody will even notice it in the general glare from the plethora of CZ and other assorted bling. Just tell her to use some common sense if she’s likely to be somewhere dodgy.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You are not going mad. That is a kind, loving gesture that only a father can understand. A lot of well meaning advice in the preceding replies but I think there is an exaggeration of the risk involved. London is far from being the crime capital of the world. As long as she takes common sense precautions, she should be fine. Situations put people at risk of mugging not watches.
    Completely agree. The risk is completely overblown - how many people in London are wearing 18k gold, or just very expensive watches every single day of the week? & how many are mugged for their watches?

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    Thanks for all of the comments. I know for sure she wont be wearing it on a regular basis. She has a watch right now, a couple hundred worth high street and she only wears that on special occasion as she is scared of losing it. She also puts her phone away when walking around, on public transport, going out etc as I have warned her about phone snatchers. I think it will be given with the proviso that its a special occasion watch. She is sensible enough to know that.
    If I was her, I’d bloody well wear it every day, enjoy it to the max and never take it off.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If I was her, I’d bloody well wear it every day, enjoy it to the max and never take it off.
    So would I.
    There are sleeves for covering up if you find yourself somewhere less than salubrious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Completely agree. The risk is completely overblown - how many people in London are wearing 18k gold, or just very expensive watches every single day of the week? & how many are mugged for their watches?

The problem is if you are mugged, you get battered. The guy who was mugged outside Tiger Tiger for his Rolex, was left with life changing injuries. A guy I knew was dragged out of his car after they’d smashed the window with a brick and broke 2 of his ribs. It’s relatively rare to be mugged but when it happens its a total pyschological warfare job done on you . Muggers get up close and personal and in teams.
    I’ve been done twice in 10 years so I’m now fairly sanguine about it but I’d imagine it’ll be awful for a young woman. Students are often seen as easy targets . Student digs are easy targets. The chances are hopefully remote but why add the risk in my view.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 19th March 2019 at 18:22.