closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Omega Polaris

  1. #1
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    16,862

    Omega Polaris

    Is there an information resource for the Polaris?

    For some time I've been trying and failing to cover all bases with just three watches, yet I've a feeling that I'm at last on the right track as the Omega Seamaster Polaris could be the two tone semi-dress watch I've been looking for, however they range in size from about 24mm to about 40mm, analogue, analogue chrono and ana-digi multi function with variations of dial colour and case combinations, I have in mind 38mm + and would like to know what combinations might be out there around this size.

    Any help pointers advice will be gratefully welcome.

    n2.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    363
    Hello n2, I donít believe there is any single resource, but I believe that the larger ones are referred to as jumbo and XL

    Here is the one I have

    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...is-tr-378-0885

    On SC but you will need to search

    Cheers


    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is there an information resource for the Polaris?

    For some time I've been trying and failing to cover all bases with just three watches, yet I've a feeling that I'm at last on the right track as the Omega Seamaster Polaris could be the two tone semi-dress watch I've been looking for, however they range in size from about 24mm to about 40mm, analogue, analogue chrono and ana-digi multi function with variations of dial colour and case combinations, I have in mind 38mm + and would like to know what combinations might be out there around this size.

    Any help pointers advice will be gratefully welcome.

    n2.

  3. #3
    There was a nice thread here with many models listed out and insight on the complex process used to inlay the gold in the titanium, it should still be there somewhere.

    As for case sizes there would be from the top of my head
    19mm - ladies
    32mm - mens analogue, digiana, GMT
    37mm - analogue chronos
    40mm - three hand manual
    42mm - manual chrono

  4. #4
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemaster View Post
    Hello n2, I don’t believe there is any single resource, but I believe that the larger ones are referred to as jumbo and XL

    Here is the one I have

    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...is-tr-378-0885

    On SC but you will need to search

    Cheers
    I've seen a good amount of Polaris over the years but never that one, that's really nice. Most of them wear much smaller than their dimensions imply.

    One thing I like about the Polaris is from an era that didn't really have any distinctive style, they are about as 90's as you can get(IMO anyway).

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,937
    An unusual design, thatís for sure, I fancied buying one several years ago when prices on everything were lower. Thesedays Iíve very limited enthusiasm for older quartz watches, and I view anything with an integral bracelet as a risk.

    Around 10 years ago I came across a supposedly new old stock example in Cyprus, price was silly so I wssnít tempted.

    As with any old watch, a really good example is worth buying if the conditionís excellent. Iíd stick to the 3 handers, easier to sort out if problems arise.

  6. #6
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    10,587

    Omega Polaris

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I've seen a good amount of Polaris over the years but never that one, that's really nice. Most of them wear much smaller than their dimensions imply.

    One thing I like about the Polaris is from an era that didn't really have any distinctive style, they are about as 90's as you can get(IMO anyway).
    Iím sure I was looking at these in shop windows in the late 80s.

    I bought an ana-digi model in around 2000 having wanted one since I was originally looking at them. I only kept it for a couple of years but enjoyed owning it. Itís quite amazing just how many things could be controlled from the crown.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,467
    The ana-digi is actually the grandfathers of the X33, it uses the 1665 movement, the X-33 is the 1666 with the addition of a couple of features such as mission timer. They aren't a bad design but are all pretty small. I have the intermediate step, the SM Multifunction 150m which also uses the 1665. They get through a battery in around 2-3 years, a std quartz watch could be double this so that is one consideration. The crown is a bit of a weak spot, Unless recently checked, don't depend on the water resistance as the crown seal is prone to failing on all these designs.
    Last edited by Padders; Yesterday at 16:26.

  8. #8
    Master Der Amf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Iím sure I was looking at these in shop windows in the late 80s.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The ana-digi is actually the grandfathers of the X33, it uses the 1665 movement, the X-33 is the 1666 with the addition of a couple of features such as mission timer. They aren't a bad design but are all pretty small. I have the intermediate step, the SM Multifunction 150m which also uses the 1665. They get through a battery in around 2-3 years, a std quartz watch could be double this so that is one consideration. The crown is a bit of a weak spot, Unless recently checked, don't depend on the water resistance as the crown seal is prone to failing on all these designs.
    That would be the SM120, I have both the SS and Two-Tone version, very nice watches, very sleek and good size at 37mm.

    Actually I'm not sure which one came first, the Polaris 1665 or the SM120 1665.

  10. #10
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    363
    I had one of these for a while also

    I remember seeing one in an AD in Albertville in 1992 when the winter Olympics was on

    Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m sure I was looking at these in shop windows in the late 80s.

    I bought an ana-digi model in around 2000 having wanted one since I was originally looking at them. I only kept it for a couple of years but enjoyed owning it. It’s quite amazing just how many things could be controlled from the crown.
    Could be, to be honest late 80's/ early 90's share similar style with their typical integrated bracelets, smooth and slim smaller sized cases. Certainly of their time which is kind of cool, although not nearly as cool as the bold designs of the 70's(how I wish I could have been an adult through the late 60's early 70's, must have been an amazing time for watch enthusiasts!).

    Very undervalued watches the Polaris so if you like the style it's a buyers market. I quite like them but not enough to buy and wear one.
    Last edited by Tetlee; Yesterday at 17:46.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    That would be the SM120, I have both the SS and Two-Tone version, very nice watches, very sleek and good size at 37mm.

    Actually I'm not sure which one came first, the Polaris 1665 or the SM120 1665.
    Yes you are right itís the SM 120m Multifunction but it definitely came after the Polaris by around 5 years. This design dates to around 1996. The Polaris MF was circa 1988-1990. Itís more like 38mm. The superficially similar SM150m watch was only 36mm.

    Last edited by Padders; Yesterday at 19:21.

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Yes you are right itís the SM 120m Multifunction but it definitely came after the Polaris by around 5 years. This design dates to around 1996. The Polaris MF was circa 1988-1990. Itís more like 38mm. The superficially similar SM150m watch was only 36mm.

    I think this was perhaps the forerunner

    Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •