closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Baselworld 2019 teaser. Any thoughts?

Master
    Nothing of interest for me this year but I did ask my usual AD if they saw the usual flurry of demands. He says, like every year, they have been flooded with people demanding the new shinies. Rolex are getting like PP, they could sell polished turds with the 'Brand' on them...

Some real photos appearing on Hodinky

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I find it interesting seeing how different an effect is made by these two very similar watches

They would certainly have a different effect on your bank balance!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Personally, I think Rolex have sold out on the SD and should have left it as 40mm SS tool watch.

Fair enough, but have you ever tried one? I had the 40mm version, and far prefer the 43mm on the wrist. The proportions seem better; and Rolex always wanted the cyclops, when it became possible. It’s my favourite among the later watches. It surprised me, because I hadn’t expected to like it....
    Stupidly, I sold it (twice!). Shouldn’t be allowed out without supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    They would certainly have a different effect on your bank balance!
    White gold bezel, upgraded movement, date wheel, more elaborate clasp: easily worth an extra 50%, no?

Craftsman
    I'm not a massive Rolex fan but that new Sea Dweller does look tasty!

Master

I think that looks pretty nice, but then I had the old 5 digit black TT sub and, apart from finding the bracelet too blingy, loved it.

I get that it doesn't chime too well with the Sea-Dweller's supposed 'ultimate tool' vibe but, frankly, that Rolex ship sailed about 40 years ago.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 21st March 2019 at 09:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Nothing of interest for me this year but I did ask my usual AD if they saw the usual flurry of demands. He says, like every year, they have been flooded with people demanding the new shinies. Rolex are getting like PP, they could sell polished turds with the 'Brand' on them...
    Isn't the saying, "not coming to an AD near you"! Meh, as much as I like the brand I just couldn't care less any more.

Master
    At the very least, all this demonstrates how varied personal taste is; I think the two-tone 43mm looks pretty awful. I couldn’t wear that if given it free. Why would you when the steel version looks so much better?
    But Rolex needs the money.....poor things. I do quite like the 42mm Yachtmaster, but am not keen on rubber straps on 20k watches. Cheap to produce though.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    but undoubtedly we will start to see the dealer text of “first generation” etc etc to bump up prices and demand.
    Do you honestly think that as dealers we fluff watches up? That does not happen. The general public and watch forums create the hysteria it has no effect on our margins at all if a watch becomes more valuable because it’s discontinued or mk1 whatever we just pay more to buy it. The margin remains the same on a Daytona you sell for double retail as it does for a Frank Muller at 70% below RRP.
    RIAC

I love it. I'll get me coat
    Gray

Master
    White gold bezel, upgraded movement, date wheel, more elaborate clasp: easily worth an extra 50%, no?
    I wonder if the hated (or at least divisive) polished centre links on the oyster bracelet option are another way of ‘differentiating’ these two watches to justify the insane price difference of adding a date and tinkering with the movement. A pity though as like Omega, they don’t seem to understand that most people don’t like PCLs. At least, most people here don’t seem to. And consequently, both Rolex and Omega’s essential bedrock models still aren’t quite right.

But at least it’s a step in the right direction, and given the importance of the DJ36 this small change is significant. Though it speaks volumes about the current state of Baselworld that this might just be the most interesting thing that’s happened so far, apart from Tudor’s brain fart of course.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Fair enough, but have you ever tried one? I had the 40mm version, and far prefer the 43mm on the wrist. The proportions seem better; and Rolex always wanted the cyclops, when it became possible. It’s my favourite among the later watches. It surprised me, because I hadn’t expected to like it....
    Stupidly, I sold it (twice!). Shouldn’t be allowed out without supervision.
    I had a 1665 Great White and upgraded to a DRSD, but apart from that, no.

The upgrade to the DRSD was quite expensive as I recall, the GW, a 16800 plus about £8.5k cash.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 21st March 2019 at 10:41.

Craftsman

I’m not normally a fan of T/T, but that is actually very nice!

Just looking at the new 36mm DJ. Not sure I'm keen on the slimmer lugs because the supercased 116234 was the perfect size for me. Also a pretty big step up in £ for the new 36DJ. I'm thinking I might go ahead and get a brand new 116234 while I still can.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I love it. I'll get me coat
    No need. It IS actually a very nice watch and the only one from the Basel 2019 offerings that really appeals to me. That and the Tudor black and gold chrono.

Master

Rolex Baselworld 2019 teaser. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Just looking at the new 36mm DJ. Not sure I'm keen on the slimmer lugs because the supercased 116234 was the perfect size for me. Also a pretty big step up in £ for the new 36DJ. I'm thinking I might go ahead and get a brand new 116234 while I still can.
    I don’t think the lugs are slimmer, I’ve compared with the previous model in photoshop (well, Affinity actually). But somehow the proportions feel different due to the less cluttered dial appearing larger, which it also isn’t.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Seriously disappointing releases. What is with the jubilee? It’s bloody awful.
    Obviously all those people scrambling to pay 2x list on a BLRO disagree! I wouldn't say it's awful but it's certainly not as appropriate for a professional model as an Oyster. And PCL aren't appropriate either!

Nice, but man that date window is so STARKLY white. Not sure I like it being so distracting

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Nice, but man that date window is so STARKLY white. Not sure I like it being so distracting
    I agree... black would be better here

Seems there’s been some stealth movement upgrades, YMs now feature a 3235
    Ie 116655 is now the 126655

No movement upgrades on the sub range.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I don’t think the lugs are slimmer, I’ve compared with the previous model in photoshop (well, Affinity actually). But somehow the proportions feel different due to the less cluttered dial appearing larger, which it also isn’t.
    Cheers. I may pop in to local AD this weekend and try a TT36 (asuming they have one) as it'll be the same case I believe?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seadweller in those pics looks actually quite nice - thought it looked horrendous yesterday when unveiled

SD two tone. Not good!
    Last edited by paneristi372; 21st March 2019 at 15:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post

The 5 digit TT Sub had a parchment colour background for the date window that worked perfectly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    The 5 digit TT Sub had a parchment colour background for the date window that worked perfectly.
    May be a prototype but yes it should have a champagne date wheel. The old TTs did, much nicer.

Master
    You forgot the PCLs. Must be worth £750?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    No need. It IS actually a very nice watch and the only one from the Basel 2019 offerings that really appeals to me. That and the Tudor black and gold chrono.
    Ditto - I like that Tudor too 😎

Seiko have been digging into the back catalogue effectively too
    Gray

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post

No movement upgrades on the sub range.
    I think they come with revised model next year 216610

No use to put new parts in old case that will be soon replaced

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post

Spot on, that looks amazing.

so with the black 116710ln now gone what do we reckon will happen to the used prices? Sometimes you got the impression it was unloved,although it think is a great watch

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    so with the black 116710ln now gone what do we reckon will happen to the used prices? Sometimes you got the impression it was unloved,although it think is a great watch
    Watchbox saying real winners of Basel 2019 are owners of current steel GMT on oyster bracelets. Expect LN and BLNR 116710 to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Watchbox saying real winners of Basel 2019 are owners of current steel GMT on oyster bracelets. Expect LN and BLNR 116710 to rise.
    I'd agree but the whole situation is bonkers. Currently the black bezel version can be bought around £6.5k, the Black/Blue variant at £10,000 upwards. For the exact same watch! Who in their right mind is paying a £3,500 upwards to have the lower half the bezel insert in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'd agree but the whole situation is bonkers. Currently the black bezel version can be bought around £6.5k, the Black/Blue variant at £10,000 upwards. For the exact same watch! Who in their right mind is paying a £3,500 upwards to have the lower half the bezel insert in blue.
    yep the extra 3k for less than 1sq inch of blue seems mad

Craftsman
    Will go up steadily over time. Just like any steel sports Rolex I guess

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'd strongly advise against googling the term 'flat 4'..

I'm not a fan of two tone watches, and I thought the initial press photos of the TTSD were pretty awful. However, it does look pretty nice in those wrist shots! I personally wouldn't buy it, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would.

The SD hasn't been a tool watch for many years, nor has any Rolex really, except I guess the Explorer II, so the TT nature doesn't really bother me in that regard.

yep the extra 3k for less than 1sq inch of blue seems mad
    Your forgetting the blue gmt hand as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the 126711chnr (two tone GMT) have the new movement that's in the jubilee gmt models ?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Does the 126711chnr (two tone GMT) have the new movement that's in the jubilee gmt models ?
    Oh yes. Chnr pick of the new GMT’s with newer movement imo. Then again I am biased...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Oh yes. Chnr pick of the new GMT’s with newer movement imo. Then again I am biased...

Surely Rolex will release the Batman,Pepsi & regular black GMT again on oyster bracelet at Basel 2020 with the new movement and case, hopefully will spend this year gearing up their production facilities so no 3 years waiting lists.

Surely Rolex will release the Batman,Pepsi & regular black GMT again on oyster bracelet at Basel 2020 with the new movement and case, hopefully will spend this year gearing up their production facilities so no 3 years waiting lists.
    Possibly...we just don’t/won’t know!

Craftsman
    A get the feeling it won’t happen.
    I can see the LN possibly coming back next year but the BLRO & BLNR will remain as they are for the next 6-10 years.

Master
    how quickly do the old models run through the system and the new ones appear? not that any new or old are available....but are there some lucky sods in line to get a nice black bezel gmt on proper bracelet still?

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    how quickly do the old models run through the system and the new ones appear? not that any new or old are available....but are there some lucky sods in line to get a nice black bezel gmt on proper bracelet still?
    Lucky sods? Black bezel GMT’s have been sitting in windows unloved for years lol. I’d imagine Rolex probably stopped shipping them out some time ago and what stock was left at ADs people have bought as an alternative to the watch they actually wanted.

Master
    each to there own. you get my point though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Lucky sods? Black bezel GMT’s have been sitting in windows unloved for years lol. I’d imagine Rolex probably stopped shipping them out some time ago and what stock was left at ADs people have bought as an alternative to the watch they actually wanted.
    One in an AD window in Leeds about 3 months ago. I mentioned it on here in response to a WTB, from memory. I didn't buy it because I didn't want it and the fact that they have now stopped making them still does not make me want one!

Master
    I know its not the popular version, the sought after, unobtainable version. I just think its a smart looking gmt watch with a timeless look. For me the mixed colour bezels look less classic. The batman I quite like, but the pepsi I'm less keen on.

Craftsman
    Noticed that watchfinder no longer have any BLNR’s up for sale, just quite a few awaiting prices. Think it’s a shame the LN has gone but agree that it will likely be back in the future with the new movement, maybe even with more demand if the rest are on a jubilee.

Noticed on chrono and ebay the LN has gone up in price quite significantly,now circa £7-8K asking.I like the LN , its a bit more under the radar than the other 2 ,quite classy..... but thats just my opinion