closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Baselworld 2019 teaser. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Oh dear. TT SD with polished center links. Finally all pretence at being a dive watch have disappeared.

It strangely reminds me of Animal Farm when the pigs (animals repressed) eventually turn into humans (the oppressors).

For professional divers - 1665 - 16660 - 16600 - 116600 - 126600 - 126603 - to jewellery

Martyn

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    There's never been a tt SD, its toolwatch heritage is now gone...
    Sub was always more jewellery.
    Yup the SD has lost if for me, as of last year when they upped the size and wacked on the Cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I’m wondering about this - is it just how they’ve photographed it to emphasise the Rolex engraving it in the rehaut? Or is it possible the’ve tweaked it to be slightly closer to the classic proportions? Somehow it looks a little less bulbous and more like earlier models, but it might be my imagination.
    Does the new movement have a slightly wider date wheel? In all the variants it's looking more open, more dial-dominated to me, but I guess real life photos needed to be sure. The lugs are also looking less present, but that might just be a side effect of the dial looking bigger.

Rolex Baselworld 2019 teaser. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Nothing really tickling my fancy there. I love the look of the Yachtmaster, but being white gold and over twenty grand, I'm out. I'm sure there will be a lot of criticism of Rolex, but come on, creating a massive wow every year is a bit of an ask. Maybe next year.....
    It’s really not an ask...

- Return of the 36mm Explorer I
    - a new Milgauss with a 1019 or 6543-esque design
    - The GMT could have been light blue and dark blue, it would be much smarter and more of a change (also I think one steel jubilee GMT is enough, unless they give a bracelet option for all GMTs as I think they should)
    - Ceramic bezels for bi-metal Daytonas
    - New dial for the 40mm Air-King
    - New Submariner with traditional case shape, new movement, maybe red writing and maxi dial
    - 40mm option for the Explorer II

If I can think of 7 easily doable references, which would be in keeping with the spirit of Rolex, and much more desirable than what has been launched this year, it’s a bit disappointing that the people at Rolex can’t give us better.

I don’t mind the bimetal Seadweller (because of the historical precedent with the Deep Sea Special watches), and the Day-Date and Datejust upgrades are fine, but everything else from Rolex is disappointing.

It’s not like they’ve sent all the brains to Tudor for this year’s stuff, either...

ETA: they’ve also stopped the plain black GMT... probably to come back with the new movement, wonder if it will keep the Oyster...
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 20th March 2019 at 12:37.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Black 116710LN - gone.
    Didn’t see that one coming

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Does the new movement have a slightly wider date wheel? In all the variants it's looking more open, more dial-dominated to me, but I guess real life photos needed to be sure. The lugs are also looking less present, but that might just be a side effect of the dial looking bigger.
    Agreed, it looks very like the 16000 I’m wearing right now, especially with the very clean dial. Didn’t it used to have the slightly fussy train track minute markers around the chapter ring that came in with the 16200? If they have actually changed it to be closer to vintage looking models that would be one of the bigger bits of news, if not the most obvious headline.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 20th March 2019 at 12:54.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    It's in White Gold though so expect a price of around £20k

The TT SD will be in the region of £14k perhaps

the BLNR as per the current model will be impossible to get...

So what is there for the mere mortal?
    Amen Amen. I like that 42mm Yachtie, but in white gold it’s just a no go.

Disappointed to say the least...nothing new for the mere mortals. I never liked the Batman anyway, and even if I did, as you say forget trying to get hold of one...massively underwhelmed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    So that's the call to my AD done

Next stop Amazon

Once again the really big news from Rolex at Basel isn’t what they are introducing but what they are withdrawing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    It’s really not an ask...

- Return of the 36mm Explorer I
    - a new Milgauss with a 1019 or 6543-esque design
    - The GMT could have been light blue and dark blue, it would be much smarter and more of a change (also I think one steel jubilee GMT is enough, unless they give a bracelet option for all GMTs as I think they should)
    - Ceramic bezels for bi-metal Daytonas
    - New dial for the 40mm Air-King
    - New Submariner with traditional case shape, new movement, maybe red writing and maxi dial
    - 40mm option for the Explorer II

If I can think of 7 easily doable references, which would be in keeping with the spirit of Rolex, and much more desirable than what has been launched this year, it’s a bit disappointing that the people at Rolex can’t give us better.

I don’t mind the bimetal Seadweller (because of the historical precedent with the Deep Sea Special watches), and the Day-Date and Datejust upgrades are fine, but everything else from Rolex is disappointing.

It’s not like they’ve sent all the brains to Tudor for this year’s stuff, either...

ETA: they’ve also stopped the plain black GMT... probably to come back with the new movement, wonder if it will keep the Oyster...
    Agree with the above, several things they could have "easily" released alongside this kind of shiny stuff that would have kept their history alive, instead it's like they want to go full jewellery mode instead.

Jewelleryworld - sorry Baselworld 2019 - the year the designers went to the well and found it was truly dry?!

Interesting to see the black GMT might be discontinued - wonder if there will now be a price spike for those?!

Screengrab from the Instagram video

Master
    Nothing out there of real interest to me. I'd imagine that the AD's have already had numerous calls for the BLNR, but in all honesty I prefer the old one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I think this is my favourite release this year. Like the fume diamond dial.

Craftsman
    Im glad that there is nothing of interest for me (I really do not get the TT SD!?) as it means I will not be pining over an unobtainable watch.

Craftsman
    Really disappointed with the releases this year. At least the bank balance can breathe a sigh of relief

Agreed, it looks very like the 16000 I’m wearing right now, especially with the very clean dial. Didn’t it used to have the slightly fussy train track minute markers around the chapter ring that came in with the 16200? If they have actually changed it to be closer to vintage looking models that would be one of the bigger bits of news, if not the most obvious headline.
    Not exactly a like for like comparison (I'll look to see if I can do better)

116234:

It might be entirely down to the loss of the train tracks, I dunno
    Last edited by Der Amf; 20th March 2019 at 13:30.

Journeyman

so disappointed this year

all new release models are ugly , new yacht with white gold ,looking good but too expensive

Der Amf - I prefer the 116234 dial with the railroad tracks around the edge of the dial. There's been a noticeable jump in rrp too!

Master
    Glad the blnr is not discontinued but I can’t see past the jubilee. The oyster suited the watch so much more. How much is a sub bracelet from Rolex?

I'm sure Rolex know their market and your average TZ user isn't it. The high quality tool timepieces they used to produce were great. I have no doubt they will sell in very slowly released bucketloads though. Not for me any more.

Master
    Not exactly a like for like comparison (I'll look to see if I can do better)

It might be entirely down to the loss of the train tracks, I dunno
    Having done a more scientific comparison of the 2018 and 2019 models in photoshop, case dial and date all appear to be as before. The difference is indeed just the train tracks. This to me though is a very good call on the part of Rolex and it’s one of the reasons I chose a vintage 16000 over the later models, the dials became slightly too fussy / fusty. The other reason to prefer the vintage model was the oyster bracelet with brushed centre links, so it’s a pity that this only comes with polished. They’ve very nearly offered up a classic minimal model. This follows on from the recent black and white Osyter Perpetual 39s, and suggests that they are gradually, and wisely, looking back to some of their cooler, more minimal and less ostentatious designs for inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Glad the blnr is not discontinued but I can’t see past the jubilee. The oyster suited the watch so much more. How much is a sub bracelet from Rolex?
    Will the new BLNR take an oyster bracelet? Hodinkee are saying the 2019 BLNR is the same as the 2018 Pepsi in terms of case.

Master
    Well that's disappointing. Particularly as I'd expressed an interest in the black GMT at the AD only last week. Not that an EoI means much. Like others the jubilee for the blue/black makes it less appealing to me. Why Rolex don't offer the choice of straps is beyond me.... Looks like they do for the Pepsi.

Having done a more scientific comparison of the 2018 and 2019 models in photoshop, case dial and date all appear to be as before.
    Did you include the width of the ends of the lugs?

They’ve very nearly offered up a classic minimal model. This follows on from the recent black and white Osyter Perpetual 39s, and suggests that they are gradually, and wisely, looking back to some of their cooler, more minimal and less ostentatious designs for inspiration.
    Wish they’d sodding do this for their sports watches.

Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    Im glad that there is nothing of interest for me (I really do not get the TT SD!?) as it means I will not be pining over an unobtainable watch.
    I agree entirely.

Master
    Did you include the width of the ends of the lugs?
    Yes, I superimposed the image from the 2018 release which you can still find here, and the 2019 release, as they are shot in exactly the same way. There doesn’t appear to be any difference apart from the dial. I thought perhaps the lugs had changed but it appears not.

call me selfish but glad the did nothing with the explorer 11 keeps mine the current model for a bit longer :-),

Watchfinder have just added a new 116710BLNR to their website at £12,450!!!!

With a quiet/poor offering from Rolex and Tudor and no Swatch, Baselworld is awfully quiet this year.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I wonder if they updated their "buy for" a similar amount? No chance.

What a lackluster collection. I really miss my sold GMT2LN and was waiting to get a new one. Can’t believe they have relegated the GMT to multicoloured bezels and jubilees only. Really not appealing at all.

I have the money to spend but I really can’t find a model made by Rolex I like anymore. I thought that the base GMT2 would always be black bezel and oyster bracelet. i know the Sub fills that niche but it does not have the GMT function which I want.

The thing that has made Rolex so iconic over the years, that every other watch manufacturer envied was that Rolex had always kept a certain classic look that everyone recognised. I find it very strange that they seem to be abandoning that strategy. Are they going to become a brand that constantly changes, desperate to find the next look all the time? Because that strategy has never work for anyone else (Omega, Breitling etc.) What a shame.

Just looked at the new Tudors as well. Yawn... nothing worth looking at there either.

Craftsman
    So they did nothing then....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

More likely it's this one they had listed at £11,950 this morning..

That had disappeared shortly after 11am..

To then reappear again this afternoon..

(I was curious...)

Journeyman
    Very disappointed with this year's showing. Rolex and Tudor won't be getting any of my money this year. Perhaps I should be grateful!

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    More likely it's this one they had listed at....

(I was curious...)
    Good work! I notice Chronext have no BLNRs or LNs in stock and they have removed at least one LN since 11am.

Craftsman

Can’t knock them for trying though.

Craftsman
    The dayejust 36 is nice. But honestly, I really don't like the direction that Rolex have gone. I will continue to wear and buy the older models.

Craftsman
    Will the new BLNR take an oyster bracelet? Hodinkee are saying the 2019 BLNR is the same as the 2018 Pepsi in terms of case.
    Yep the oyster bracelet fits the Pepsi and BLNR

Journeyman

white gold yacht master

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Went live this morning.

My guess is Explorer ll with ceramic bezel? Or perhaps steel Yachtmaster 37/40
    white gold yacht master---for sure

Journeyman

the price is on rocket

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    More likely it's this one they had listed at £11,950 this morning..

That had disappeared shortly after 11am..

To then reappear again this afternoon..

(I was curious...)

Journeyman

they will relist them with new price

Good work! I notice Chronext have no BLNRs or LNs in stock and they have removed at least one LN since 11am.
    and of course higher ~~~

Apprentice

Meteorite impact

Will happily keep wearing my LN then...
    That meteorite dial is completely honking and doesn't work at all for the guts of £30k!
    Not feeling the BLNR Jubilee and the whole bracelet swapping carry on well

Blog Entries
    Is the blue/red bezel insert interchangeable with the black/blue, i.e. can you make a Pepsi from a Batman or vice versa??

Watchfinder now down to 2 BLNRs in stock....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Is the blue/red bezel insert interchangeable with the black/blue, i.e. can you make a Pepsi from a Batman or vice versa??
    I suspect the cases are the same, so yes.

Can you swap oyster with jubilee or have the cases changed along with the new movement?

- - - Updated - - -

Watchfinder now down to 2 BLNRs in stock....
    If they've got any sense they won't have sold them, they'll have put them to the back of the safe to see how pricing pans out.

Craftsman

Angry

My wife will give birth to our firstborn son this year and I was planning to get a steel rolex introduced in 2019, to give him at his 18th birthday in 2037.

As I am quite tall and my wife is quite tall, he will probably also be a tall person, so getting him a 36mm Datejust is out of the question.

Only option therefore is the "new" BLNR with Jubilee. So I directly went to Bucherer at 12.30 and guess what...

No chance that I will get it in 2019 as it is still the BLNR and not a new watch. Hence they will give the new watches to clients on the old BLNR waiting list.

quite frustrating... :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Can you swap oyster with jubilee or have the cases changed along with the new movement?
    To potentially answer my own question, I've just read that the springbar holes are in different locations?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    My wife will give birth to our firstborn son this year and I was planning to get a steel rolex introduced in 2019, to give him at his 18th birthday in 2037.

As I am quite tall and my wife is quite tall, he will probably also be a tall person, so getting him a 36mm Datejust is out of the question.

Only option therefore is the "new" BLNR with Jubilee. So I directly went to Bucherer at 12.30 and guess what...

No chance that I will get it in 2019 as it is still the BLNR and not a new watch. Hence they will give the new watches to clients on the old BLNR waiting list.

quite frustrating... :(
    Same with WoS. However, check with Mapping & Webb as they advised me their policy is they are treating this as a new model and therefore a new list. Those on the list for the original Batman would have to apply again to get on the updated list. Be quick though.