closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Baselworld 2019 teaser. Any thoughts?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Watchfinder now down to 2 BLNRs in stock....
    And one 2018 116710LN SOLD at 8750GBP.

Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    As I am quite tall and my wife is quite tall, he will probably also be a tall person, so getting him a 36mm Datejust is out of the question.
    If a slim wrist, then perhaps not?

Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    My wife will give birth to our firstborn son this year and I was planning to get a steel rolex introduced in 2019, to give him at his 18th birthday in 2037.

As I am quite tall and my wife is quite tall, he will probably also be a tall person, so getting him a 36mm Datejust is out of the question.

Only option therefore is the "new" BLNR with Jubilee. So I directly went to Bucherer at 12.30 and guess what...

No chance that I will get it in 2019 as it is still the BLNR and not a new watch. Hence they will give the new watches to clients on the old BLNR waiting list.

quite frustrating... :(

You should really buy a 36mm size as well in case the genes skip a generation and he's only 4ft 11 inches tall. Although I believe that well known leprechaun Tom Cruise wears larger watches than that, so maybe not a problem.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I know there is bi metal and full gold sub. But a bi metal sea dweller !!??? Really ??

The full gold SD is coming out next year...

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I'm sure Rolex know their market and your average TZ user isn't it. The high quality tool timepieces they used to produce were great. I have no doubt they will sell in very slowly released bucketloads though. Not for me any more.
    There's a certain bias towards conservatively styled Sports models on the forum, but that's the same I see outside of it too. I've a lot of friends who like watches and they're not the typical forum member. Most would love a Sub, Daytona or GMT but just can't buy them from retailers at RRP. These guys have bought Panerai and Omega instead.

I'm sure Haywood's customers are saying the same thing, Rolex aren't delivering the watches customers want. Fortunately their status as the most desirable and a recognisable luxury watch brand in the world means customers will buy anything with the crown on, regardless.

Master
    You can’t really argue with such massive success. Some enthusiasts, including me, may not like much of the modern, ceramic , stuff. But so what.....they don’t need us, and they have no obligation to us.
    Mind you, I still regard Rolex as the greatest Watch Company, by quite a margin.
    And I like the, all steel, SD 43.

Glad I got a batman for myself and one for my brother at Christmas from my AD. Prefer it on the oyster. Would have liked the 70hr power reserve though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone over on TRF just came up with the name 'Batwoman' for the BLNR on jubilee 😂😂😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Is the blue/red bezel insert interchangeable with the black/blue, i.e. can you make a Pepsi from a Batman or vice versa??
    Nope. The red blue is more fragile and fitted with a gasket, the others friction fitted.

You may be able to swap over the entire bezel assembly though but unsure if they were clever enough to alter it a bit. I know it uses different dies and tools.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Nope. The red blue is more fragile and fitted with a gasket, the others friction fitted.

You may be able to swap over the entire bezel assembly though but unsure if they were clever enough to alter it a bit. I know it uses different dies and tools.
    That was comparing to the old model I presume, both jubilee models may use the same system?

Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    And one 2018 116710LN SOLD at 8750GBP.
    That's the one that appears to be discontinued. The plain old best of the bunch black bezel GMT on an Oyster is no longer on the Rolex website.

Craftsman
    I like the yachmaster and the two-tone sea dweller.. but all-in its quite a disappointing release!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    The full gold SD is coming out next year...
    I did see a full gold deepsea some years ago. It was in a shop in Sharm to be fair......

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Glad I got a batman for myself and one for my brother at Christmas from my AD. Prefer it on the oyster. Would have liked the 70hr power reserve though.

Wear it more often, and you won't need the 70hr power reserve... ;)

Craftsman

Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    That's the one that appears to be discontinued. The plain old best of the bunch black bezel GMT on an Oyster is no longer on the Rolex website.

There will the inevitable secondary dealer increase on the now discontinued models and the usual sales talk crap to justify it but right now most buyers will be looking to see if Rolex starts to improve production numbers. With the old case now out of production that I would assume free up capacity to produce the new gmt case we saw released last year for the Pepsi and now the Blnr, with the inevitable increase in availability(Hopefully).

For myself the new Blnr wth the newer case, improved movement and on the jubilee takes this model to a new level when compared to the now discontinued one and if availability was to increase I could see no reason to pay silly money over RRP for the older model but undoubtedly we will start to see the dealer text of “first generation” etc etc to bump up prices and demand.

Not quite sure why they only released the one Yachtmaster 42mm and how that isolated model fits in with other 40mm range, some talk of future releases in the 42 Yachtmaster but why not just bring the new size out in a number of different metals.

With no new Milgauss or Explorer and the Sub still with the same spec.not much has changed within the catalogue and as I said above only now we wait to see if availability levels rise.

Rolex Baselworld 2019 teaser. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Isn’t it all just a bit demeaning? Scrabbling desperately around after a mass-produced Watch? I’d prefer to go without (which I will!)
    The whole situation is offputting.
    Exactly this.

ETA.
    ...and after seeing the offerings from both rolex and Tudor; underwhelmed is an understatement.

Until the rolex professional models return to the 5 digit dimensions I’m opting out of anything new new.
    Last edited by darko; 20th March 2019 at 18:30.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    More likely it's this one they had listed at £11,950 this morning..

That had disappeared shortly after 11am..

To then reappear again this afternoon..

(I was curious...)

Master
    Was anything else discontinued in the professional range except 116710/13/18 ?

Platinum DJ36 is gone too it seems.

Master
    All GMT on jubilee going forward is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackett.dp View Post
    Wear it more often, and you won't need the 70hr power reserve... ;)
    You mean people wear them? I’d have to remove the stickers then Dom, and that would play with my ocd :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    This.

Woeful new additions, but the madness will continue unabated - without me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    The white gold models are still on an oyster!

Craftsman

Hulk lives to fight another year. More surprised about the lack of new movements in the new sub than anything.

Seriously disappointing releases. What is with the jubilee? It’s bloody awful.

I was hoping to treat myself to a new release (at least try to get on a list at my AD) but there’s nothing new to lust after.

Roll on 2020!

Craftsman
    I know, it was more about the price, which seemed rather optimistic in the morning.

Master
    The worst Baselworld releases from Rolex in years.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Isn’t it all just a bit demeaning? Scrabbling desperately around after a mass-produced Watch? I’d prefer to go without (which I will!)
    The whole situation is offputting.
    Yes it is. I’ve totally lost interest and haven’t even bothered looking at the new releases (given that I’ve no chance of snagging anything I might like).

Im lucky to have other interests or I’d probably be having conversations with my wife by now

Master
    Rolex can't always release home run watches each year. Looking back, 2014 and 2015 were pretty weak releases also.

2011 Explorer 2
    2012 Submariner, Yachtmaster SS
    2013 Batman
    2014 Milgauss, SD4K
    2015 Yachtmaster Everose, 3255 movement
    2016 Daytona, Air-king
    2017 SD50/Skydweller
    2018 Pepsi

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

The platinum Day Date 36 I presume you mean?

As far as I can see, all the smooth bezel options are gone, as is the oyster bracelet, at least for the time being. (Maybe the stores are still very well stocked with them, and they're converting the range slowly?)

Furthermore, the dial options are very heavily tilted towards gem-set: there's just one plain dial option each for the yellow and white gold, and none at all for the pink gold.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Maybe they are focusing their efforts on meeting demand for previous years’ models!! (Or maybe not.)

Master
    I’m quite glad that nothing of significance was launched really given the availability of stuff from last year, the year before etc...

Now I won’t have yet another must have watch on my (waiting) list

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post

I’d love to be a fly on the wall at a Rolex product development meeting. I wonder how it goes.

Product Manager: Sales Manager, what are our ADs hearing from customers?

SM: They’re saying they want Sports model stock, as much as possible. A Submariner with an updated movement, maybe an oysterflex too. And more bracelet choices on GMTs so they can try both oyster or jubilee and a they want a Coke bezel version. A ceramic bezel in an Explorer II and a white dial on the I. The big watch fashion seems to be behind too.

PM: How many people have asked for a Meteor Dial GMT?

SM: None

PM: and how many have asked for a two-tone SeaDweller.

SM: None, why would they. The SeaDweller is our top end dive watch, it has a helium escape valve. Divers would probably like a silicone strap, our competitors all use them.

PM: Right that settles it then let’s put into production a Meteor dial GMT and a two-tone SeaDweller, and let’s make a 42mm Yachtmaster that looks like a steel Submariner on rubber but with only 100m WR, but we’ll make it out of white gold obvs.

Journeyman

I’d love to be a fly on the wall at a Rolex product development meeting. I wonder how it goes.

SM: They’re saying they want Sports model stock, as much as possible. A Submariner with an updated movement, maybe an oysterflex too. And more bracelet choices on GMTs so they can try both oyster or jubilee and a they want a Coke bezel version. A ceramic bezel in an Explorer II and a white dial on the I. The big watch fashion seems to be behind too.

SM: None, why would they. The SeaDweller is our top end dive watch, it has a helium escape valve. Divers would probably like a silicone strap, our competitors all use them.

PM: Right that settles it then let’s put into production a Meteor dial GMT and a two-tone SeaDweller, and let’s make a 42mm Yachtmaster that looks like a steel Submariner on rubber but with only 100m WR, but we’ll make it out of white gold obvs.
    Yep that pretty much sums it up...both Rolex and Tudor have released some stinkers this year.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Excellent

What a massive disappointment. It’s almost like they forgot Baselworld was coming up and threw something together in the taxi on the way to the venue.

I’m a fan of the brand but a TT seadweller? Come on.

I'd like to say that despite the cool reaction to the releases in these parts, Rolex knows its market and likely these watches will sell as well as Rolex expects.

But it's a harder argument to make for Tudor's releases, and I don't know if the two operations share the same design and marketing departments--if they do then maybe it's only Rolex's relative conservatism that's saved it from a new-release shambles of Tudor proportions.

Best looking yacht master for a while though
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Yes, I superimposed the image from the 2018 release which you can still find here, and the 2019 release, as they are shot in exactly the same way. There doesn’t appear to be any difference apart from the dial. I thought perhaps the lugs had changed but it appears not.
    I find it interesting seeing how different an effect is made by these two very similar watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Best looking yacht master for a while though
    yeeeesss....until you notice its white gold not steel and hence £20k! Well maybe less as its on rubber....but a white gold on rubber? really? just like the smurf, i can't see it selling well.

Master
    £21,400. Including the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    yeeeesss....until you notice its white gold not steel and hence £20k! Well maybe less as its on rubber....but a white gold on rubber? really? just like the smurf, i can't see it selling well.
    How well it sells depends on how much you want a Daytona

I can see it selling really well to people who own a Yacht and want the appropriate Rolex accessory and are not necessarily going to get wet 'cos that's what staff are for surely?? ;D

Master
    £21.4k on rubber! Feck. what is a smurf now?

A platinum SD would have made more sense for this year, then bi-metal next year.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    The Yatchmaster is a solid 10/10.

If only I had £21kGBP :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    That was comparing to the old model I presume, both jubilee models may use the same system?
    No, the pepsi insert is the same as it was on the old wg 116719BLRO. Assume the new BLNR insert is the same part number on the 126710 as 116710 BLNRs. Rolex are very pragmatic...

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes it is. I’ve totally lost interest and haven’t even bothered looking at the new releases (given that I’ve no chance of snagging anything I might like).

Im lucky to have other interests or I’d probably be having conversations with my wife by now
    I used to be all over this stuff several years back. Then about 3 years ago I started losing interest because there was zero chance of actually being able to buy something you liked the look of (at rrp anyway). However, I'd still look on basel release day to see what new watches I wouldn't be able to buy. This year, I didn't even know when baselworld was and have zero interest in anything new from rolex.

Rolex have a massively powerful position over their dealer network yet allow watches to be sold to people who sell them on. Sure, you can't stop Joe Punter from selling a watch he's bought from an agent, but you can stop the agent from selling multiple watches on a monthly basis to the guy who comes in with a back hander in a brown envelope. I 100% know this happens and whilst it continues, I am not even going to look. I love my rolex watches from the pre hysteria era and will enjoy them without buying more.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    What a massive disappointment. It’s almost like they forgot Baselworld was coming up and threw something together in the taxi on the way to the venue.

I’m a fan of the brand but a TT seadweller? Come on.

Asia will love it. We don’t have to.

The TT SD looks a little odd because we are not used to having one. The rest of the range have had TT for years and opinion has always been divided. Equally, should a tool watch like the Submariner really be made in gold with diamonds on the dial? Someone always seems to buy them.

The SD has always been true to its roots up until the introduction of the SD43 in a larger size with a cyclops, which was a step too far for me. I suppose TT followed by full gold then diamond dot dials is the natural progression.

If it was anyone else, like Omega for example people would say it was desperation, milking the thing for all it's worth, put as many versions of the same watch out there as you can. However, with Rolex the usual hysteria will ensue. People will be visiting 'their' AD in the next few days, scrambling to be put in the list and the all too familiar profiteering cycle will continue.

Personally, I think Rolex have sold out on the SD and should have left it as 40mm SS tool watch.