closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quartz module replacement Query.

Master

Quartz module replacement Query.

First of all, please excuse my absolute lack of knowledge on this subject. I just love wearing different watches but know very little about how they work when the back comes off.
    I have a Tawatec tritium diver with a Ronda 516 movement ( I would need to confirm the number) that I've had for about 8/9 years. I just love this watch even though it's pretty battered and scratched as its worn 24/7 but its about the only watch I can see clearly during the day and at night.
    It packed in recently so I was just wondering is it expensive to replace the module and does anyone on here do this type of work.

Master
    515?

If so, readily available for sub £10+ vat

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    515?

If so, readily available for sub £10+ vat
    Yep you're spot on. It's a 515#6. Just need to find someone to change it now.

Cousins has them.. £4.45 - £8.95 a piece (plus vat usually). I'm sure a few of our forum experts could swop that in very easily for you... its only the hand swop that is the tricky bit there really.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    . its only the hand swop that is the tricky bit there really.
    That’s a bit like saying ‘racing the 100 metres is fairly easy, it’s only doing it in under 10 seconds that is the tricky bit really’

Removing and refitting hands can be tricky to say the least, even with the correct tools it can be difficult and the risk of damaging the dial or hands makes it interesting to say the least. Sometimes its an easy job, other times its a nightmare.

Strongly advise the OP to send the watch to a repairer, who will take full responsibility for sourcing the correct movement, fitting it, and guaranteeing the job. Trying to do it yourself with no experience is likely to end badly.

Journeyman
    If the watch has tritium tubes on the hands, then there is a possibility that the Ronda movement has been modified to use a longer minute arbour and cannon pinion as there has to be sufficient clearance between the hour and minute hands. The modified movements may or may not be available from such as Cousins.

Master
    Thanks for all the advice chaps. As suggested think it easiest to send to a watch repair shop I know in Glasgow and get them to source the module and fit it.
    cheers All.

Grand Master
    The point regarding the height of the movement (hr wheel, cannon pinion and seconds pinion) is well made. These movements are sometimes available in different height sizes to compensate for dial designs. The only sure-fire way is to measure the old one when ordering. If the correct height isn`t available the fortunate watchie who's doing the job has to strip both movements and swap parts over.........and it all goes on the bill!

Master

Lightbulb

Thanks again. Still waiting to hear back from repair shop.