closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ch ward Trident gmt new pepsi now

ch ward Trident gmt new pepsi now

CW really putting themselves out there now. Not sure what to make of this one - kind of a Steve McQueen explorer/BLNR lovechild. What do you guys think
    https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...dent-gmt-range

Personally, I prefer the first version with the plain bezel and orange gmt hand. I liked the box sapphire and prefer the overall look to the Steinhart Vintage GMT. However, I don’t think it’s worth twice the price of the Steinhart.

I think the Pepsi look and dark dial just doesn’t look “right” though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Have had a few CW's over the years and enjoyed them- Think they are pricing themselves out of the 'good value' market with the current prices, I guess we'll have to wait for the 50% sales....... Hats off to them though they're not afraid to try something different.

Journeyman
    I like them, especially the orange hand, black dial on bracelet. Dimensions are spot on for me. Seems to be mixture of Sellita and ETA movements depending on which one you select.

Chr Ward GMT

Nice clean appearance but not so sure about the pepsi bezel which for me seems a little too narrow, at first sight...so I prefer the plain bezel models which I think work better visually. However if I had the pepsi I'm sure it would grow on me.

I like a number of Christopher Ward watches and actually prefer the Trident Pro as my daily wearer...mainly because as a secondhand buy, the weight, quality, appearance were right for me, plus I got it for a good price and it came with the balance of a 5 year warranty.

Also, my Trident Pro has the old style name logo at centre, which again I prefer from a visual point of view......but that's another well worn topic.

It does seem to be edging up to nearer a thousand £ now for their new offerings. Dangerous game - lots of competition in that bracket.

Craftsman
    I got the email and thought it was rubbish
    Just another brand doing a pepsi thing
    There was a time (no pun intended) when from there website i thought
    that these watches look fantastic and i could stop buying swiss watches
    Then i had a delivery from them opened the box and yuk
    Return to sender
    Sorry overpriced i prefered my barbour fashion watches

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I agree. Moving into a price bracket where there are pieces from brands with no image issue, no ridiculous sales or plunging residuals. A pity. I’d like to be a patriotic buyer, but I can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I like how the bezel is quite thin,but I can’t stand seeing the name on the face,another Rolex homage,how many more do we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about the pricing, I suppose the finishing is a bit better than your average micro brand but they don't offer anything significant over someone like Steinhart for instance, whose pricing is what I feel is acceptable for a homage watch of good quality. At the 1K mark I feel like I would save a bit more and get something second hand from Omega or Nomos personally. Maybe brand snobbery? I dunno :D

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I agree about the pricing, I suppose the finishing is a bit better than your average micro brand but they don't offer anything significant over someone like Steinhart for instance, whose pricing is what I feel is acceptable for a homage watch of good quality. At the 1K mark I feel like I would save a bit more and get something second hand from Omega or Nomos personally. Maybe brand snobbery? I dunno :D
    I don’t think they are creeping into Omega or Nomos ground, but the likes of Oris in particular springs to mind. CW make good watches but not to the quality of Oris imho

Master
    I like it, but the crown is too small and makes it look odd. When there are no crown guards, I like a good chunky crown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I don’t think they are creeping into Omega or Nomos ground, but the likes of Oris in particular springs to mind. CW make good watches but not to the quality of Oris imho
    I think most of the current CW offerings are every bit as ‘quality’ as Oris. They are screwed together by a company that knows what they’re doing and the movements are the movements.

Quality control probably differs, I’ve had a couple of CWs in the past with silly little faults like dial printing being off or bezels misaligned, but they’re not alone with that. The CW customer service is A1 in my experience too. Residuals are dire if you try to sell one on here, but sold on eBay they do pretty well. I’ve taken a bath on a couple of Oris too mind.

I don’t currently own either brand though, my daily wearer at the moment is a Pulsar Chrono, so I may not know much!

Where Oris do win I think is branding/history. Whether that’s important to you is very much a personal thing.

They have been well over a grand territory for years now and as for residuals and competing with other brands of the same price the likes of Oris, Longines, sink like a stone too on the used market.

I dont like this one because it just looks like a thrown together mix of popular current watches with no real originality.

Master
    the cot vs value curve is always a great debate isn't it. there is no right or wrong answer. I've a steinhart ocean 1 on my wrist now, stunning in my mind for £350, a work horse ETA movement, good quality case, dial etc, ceramic bezel...great watch for its money. Is a CW at 2 or 3 times the price more watch? a little perhaps, probably not 3 times but hey....I have PO too, that is more watch...coaxial movement, better case, better bracelet, is it 15 times the watch of the Steiny? err. no but it makes me smile an awful lot and that is worth something. you can't put a figure on the emotional element really.

I like these. CW make decent watches and quality is definitely better than Steinhart IMO. They are moving up the ladder, slowly. As it is wont to happen in a crowded market place.