closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW Recall

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Just hope they have one to give you, they are inundated and have no Courtesy cars.

You will find they do not want to give you one for the day, it’s only when they confirm that it has to have the work done, then it’s Enterprise with a lowly crap car.
    They can't get mine in until end of May. Can't be that serious.

Master
    That’s if they have the parts, here in the U.K. some cars have been lying in the dealerships for weeks. As soon as they find out if your cars is affected, you cannot have it back till it’s done
    Well, it went exactly like you said. I took the car in today, they phoned me in the afternoon to tell the car was affected, it was the EGR cooler and supposedly there was already a hole burnt through... something. They've ordered the parts and I'm now driving a 520d xdrive courtesy car.

Master
    I can’t let BMW have a car for an hour to service it without it getting a ding, or them screwing something up.

I’d want my property on my driveway or in my garage until they had the part. Happy to not drive it etc, but no way they or their customers are going to ding my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I can’t let BMW have a car for an hour to service it without it getting a ding, or them screwing something up.

I’d want my property on my driveway or in my garage until they had the part. Happy to not drive it etc, but no way they or their customers are going to ding my car.
    So why drive the brand?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    So why drive the brand?
    Because I can separate between the brand/manufacturer & the dealer. However I don’t need to use the dealers for servicing, they are the ones that don’t care. Besides, nobody else to my knowledge makes M cars!

I now use a respected independent for the Z4, who know their onions & has a passion for cars vs a BMW technician who on the whole couldn’t really give a toss IMHO based on the state some of my cars has been been returned to me.

A dealer is not going to waste time training ‘part fitters’ on the nuances of the S54 engine which was last produced in 2008. Last time at the dealers, they were unable to just do an oil and brake fluid change as it wasn’t on their computer schedule & the car didn’t ‘need’ a service for another 14k.

M4 will go to them whilst under warranty, but travelling to Guildford where they are not cowboys like Coopers Reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Because I can separate between the brand/manufacturer & the dealer. However I don’t need to use the dealers for servicing, they are the ones that don’t care. Besides, nobody else to my knowledge makes M cars!
    I agree!!.

Thanks for the expansion.

Craftsman
    My 520D is affected. BMW have a deal with Enterprise and currently I'm driving a Mercedes A180 auto for an unspecified time. I was offered a Nissan Quashquai but wanted an auto. You may have to haggle with Enterprise to see what replacement vehicle is offered

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I've just had my 2007 E90 330i in for two outstanding recalls, the rear battery cable and heater blower/cable loom issue.
    First impression was not amazing, arranged over the phone that I could drop it off the day before and have a courtesy car for the day, turned up to be told that they don't usually issue that for these recalls so re-arranged it for the following friday. Dropped it off then and it was done in 3-hours.

Overall not too bad, full valet and enough coffee I could drink and found the staff very polite and helpful.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wish mine would have been done in three hours, they have had it three weeks now with no sign of when it’s going to be done.

The wife’s new Mercedes GLC is coming in 10 days and I have tried to blag it but no joy, so looks like I am stuck with the Crapjar

Master
    Blog Entries
    Telephoned BMW Tamworth today only to be told the recall parts for the 5 Series are taking the longest to come as even Germany have no stock. She admitted I should be prepared for the long haul.

She then telephoned me back saying could I bring the Enterprise hire car back tomorrow as they can put me in a Demo 5 30d so happy days.

Craftsman
    Telephoned BMW Tamworth today only to be told the recall parts for the 5 Series are taking the longest to come as even Germany have no stock. She admitted I should be prepared for the long haul.

She then telephoned me back saying could I bring the Enterprise hire car back tomorrow as they can put me in a Demo 5 30d so happy days.
    That's good news. How long have you had the hire car for

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    That's good news. How long have you had the hire car for

Three long weeks.

Don't get me wrong the Kadjar is a capable family car, but when you are used to a quality auto with loads of kit and the best intuitive ifotainment system on the market, your patience wears thin.

Journeyman
    My 4 series went in today for egr cooler recall, and steering rack bolts. I was expecting the worst, but got a call a few hours later to come collect it. Happy days, no work was required.

I really can't get my head round this, your car may burst into flames with you and the family inside, BMW are willing to fix the problem but people are whining they haven't been given the right car to get them around while yours is being fixed?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    I really can't get my head round this, your car may burst into flames with you and the family inside, BMW are willing to fix the problem but people are whining they haven't been given the right car to get them around while yours is being fixed?
    I think the issue is the open ended nature of the time frames. I'm okay with a mini for a couple of weeks while my 5 series is sorted, however I have a bigger car for a reason and it is not practical for such an arrangement to go on indefinitely. In a similar vain, I bought the car I did because I want to drive that car and not another brand therefore I would rather like to drive it!

I think most people don't mind having a different car for a few days/week but given the time scales quoted I really can't get my head around the reason why you can't get your head around it.

Dropped ours off today for a brake fluid change, whilst sorting out the courtesy car/driving license stuff I overheard the chap next to me going through the whole recall angst bit. Service person stated that BMW were running at £2.5 million per week with Enterprise for courtesy cars (stated 4000 cars currently affected in the UK).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I think the issue is the open ended nature of the time frames. I'm okay with a mini for a couple of weeks while my 5 series is sorted, however I have a bigger car for a reason and it is not practical for such an arrangement to go on indefinitely. In a similar vain, I bought the car I did because I want to drive that car and not another brand therefore I would rather like to drive it!
    In a nutshell.

If I wanted a Kadjar I would have bought one. As you say a week or two I have no problem, but 10 or twelve weeks I want something half decent.

Master
    Out of interest have there been any cases of people returning their cars as unsuitable due to these extended periods?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Out of interest have there been any cases of people returning their cars as unsuitable due to these extended periods?

A fair few if it’s dragging on. There are some people over on the Pistonheads threads have changed their hire car for a bigger and better spec when they become available.

Craftsman
    I rang my dealer today for an update and was advised they were currently experiencing a 6 week wait for the part.

I found that holding out for an auto with Enterprise seemed to get a slightly better car type

Master
    Blog Entries
    I guess if you start from the proposition that BMW are a luxury car manufacturer who pride themselves on making the 'best' cars, then consider they are making 'death traps', then consider why bother buying BMW when you can buy the equivalent hire car at half the price...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Went to collect the replacement for the Enterprise car and was given a 68 plate with just a 1k miles Active Hybrid 5 3.0i 345 bhp in sport mode

Went to collect the replacement for the Enterprise car and was given a 68 plate with just a 1k miles Active Hybrid 5 3.0i 345 bhp in sport mode
    We had one of these for the last 2 days - quite impressed with it. First foray into hybrid and it has dispelled most of my concerns

Master
    I got a voicemail today from BMW about my 2010 X5 needing to go in for recall, it seems there may be more cars affected than previously thought because when it was last in the dealership in December they checked and there were no outstanding recalls on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just left my 525 with Bmw, they say still 5 to 6 weeks lees time for the part, they have 17 being delivered tomorrow but have over 60 in there compound to do. Let’s see what enterprise bring for the meantime.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Just left my 525 with Bmw, they say still 5 to 6 weeks lees time for the part, they have 17 being delivered tomorrow but have over 60 in there compound to do. Let’s see what enterprise bring for the meantime.

My 520 was quoted at 6 weeks but they managed to get it done in 3.
    Fingers crossed for you Enterprise car. I got a Mercedes A class as I wanted an auto - was originally offered a manual Quaskquai

Master
    I have an old 2001 5 series and received a recall notice today about a possible problem with the air-bag. To be honest, I was surprised as the car is 18+ years old.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    My 520 was quoted at 6 weeks but they managed to get it done in 3.
    Fingers crossed for you Enterprise car. I got a Mercedes A class as I wanted an auto - was originally offered a manual Quaskquai

I got an insignia Sri which is quite fun to play with. The girls wouldn’t play ball when I offered to take the M5 Demo and take them away for the weekend.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I got an insignia Sri which is quite fun to play with. The girls wouldn’t play ball when I offered to take the M5 Demo and take them away for the weekend.

That's not too bad. I'm guessing if you could have procured the M5 they could have taken as long as they wanted to fix yours !!!

Enterprise drove me back to the dealers in a Range Rover (I think the guy wanted an excuse to drive it). Apparently the RR is not available to Joe Public for daily hire (insurance jobs only). He did offer me the opportunity to rent a Defender ..... with a £1400 insurance excess

Master
    I worked until recently with Kia and we had several recalls that at times meant cars off the road, due to a limited stock of courtesy/demo cars we used Enterprise too, unfortunately they too have a limited stock of certain models so some folk got a replacement car of another marque, not good when the customer owned a Kia and were given a Hyundai. I feel sorry for the poor guy in the factory working 24 hours a day producing egr valves to try and meet demand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    I've received a letter for my 4 series 420. EGR cooler issue.

Hopefully get mine in this week. If a car is needed I'll ask for a BMW.
    Well with being out the UK for so long with work I finally got my BMW in to the dealership Saturday.

Was told they'd need it for 4 hours, they gave me a 2 series convertible for the day.

Got a call 3 hours later telling me my car was affected and I'd be looking at up to 5 weeks. So went straight back to BMW.
    Walked out with a 5 series M-Sport fully loaded with 1100 miles 19 plate. Only downside is it's an estate. Fleet manager told me if I call her after Thursday she'll replace it for me if I want a 3 series or another 5 series.

Absolutely love the 5 series though and will probably just stay with it, BMW in Northampton have been great. Did tell them from the start I'll only take like for like if my car needs the part changing.