timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW Recall

Hybrid View

Master
    Blog Entries

BMW Recall

Anyone had recall for their BMW Exhaust Recirculation cooler. My 5 Series went in today and they told me it’s affected. Then I was told it could take two days or two months they don’t know when they will get the parts, and to add insult to injury Enterprise arrive with a plasticy Froggy Renault Kadjar for me to use while it’s in

Master
    Big who haa on FB in the owners groups, its run into months for some

A work colleague had his recalled - and 6 weeks later still hasn't had his car back. This appears to be an epic fail of customer service by BMW, taking cars off the road when they have no idea of when the necessary parts will arrive hasn't gone down well...just check out their twitter feed

Master
    Mine was done about 6 months ago on my F20 125d. It took about 4 hours. I guess they had the part in stock!
    Last edited by Padders; 13th March 2019 at 21:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it goes over two weeks I am going to chase them for a better car, can’t ride around in that plasticy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    A work colleague had his recalled - and 6 weeks later still hasn't had his car back. This appears to be an epic fail of customer service by BMW, taking cars off the road when they have no idea of when the necessary parts will arrive hasn't gone down well...just check out their twitter feed
    Your all making the mistake thinking that BMW give a toss about their customers, once they have your money they really don’t care, when it cones to customer service BMW UK are unbelievable, whearas in the states BMW can’t do enough because they have Lemon laws.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Your all making the mistake thinking that BMW give a toss about their customers, once they have your money they really don’t care, when it cones to customer service BMW UK are unbelievable, whearas in the states BMW can’t do enough because they have Lemon laws.
    It does depend on the local dealer to an extent.

We have had good and not so good between different dealers.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It does depend on the local dealer to an extent.

We have had good and not so good between different dealers.
    I had to sue to reject a faulty car they couldn’t fix, BMW UK didn’t want to know, response was it’s between you and the dealer, who refunded the car 48 hours before the hearing

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I had to sue to reject a faulty car they couldn’t fix, BMW UK didn’t want to know, response was it’s between you and the dealer, who refunded the car 48 hours before the hearing
    As I said - dealer dependant.

Journeyman
    My 4 series went in today for egr cooler recall, and steering rack bolts. I was expecting the worst, but got a call a few hours later to come collect it. Happy days, no work was required.

I really can't get my head round this, your car may burst into flames with you and the family inside, BMW are willing to fix the problem but people are whining they haven't been given the right car to get them around while yours is being fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Not a fail - they aren’t taking a chance on this safety recall. They want the cars off the road now.

Craftsman
    In the trade- I know personally of two complete burnouts, both on the way to court at present as BMW have refused any responsibility. Uk main agents are a law unto themselves it would seem. In 50yrs in the motor trade the only properly stand on warranty of any use is with Kia-they rarely fail but if they have any issues the warranty service is superb.QED.

Mates 5 was off the road for 2 weeks, he was given a Skoda, wasn't too thrilled.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Mates 5 was off the road for 2 weeks, he was given a Skoda, wasn't too thrilled.

n2
    I’d sooner have a Superb then this Kadjar.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I’d sooner have a Superb then this Kadjar.
    Understandable

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

n2
    Nothing wrong with a Superb!

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Mine took three months for the part to be in stock then only took a morning to fix..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Our 330d was checked a couple of months ago during routine service. They had to strip down whatever it was, take a video and send it to BMW UK HQ. It was then deemed OK in our case and no further action required. The service manager told me it was a real pain for them due to it being labour intensive for what is a simple check, which I could well understand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Our 330d was checked a couple of months ago during routine service. They had to strip down whatever it was, take a video and send it to BMW UK HQ. It was then deemed OK in our case and no further action required. The service manager told me it was a real pain for them due to it being labour intensive for what is a simple check, which I could well understand.
    My 330d is going in next week, I think they quote 3 hours for it, and I'm also not sure yet if my car if affected.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    My 330d is going in next week, I think they quote 3 hours for it, and I'm also not sure yet if my car if affected.
    That’s if they have the parts, here in the U.K. some cars have been lying in the dealerships for weeks. As soon as they find out if your cars is affected, you cannot have it back till it’s done

That’s if they have the parts, here in the U.K. some cars have been lying in the dealerships for weeks. As soon as they find out if your cars is affected, you cannot have it back till it’s done
    That cannot be true, it might be stupid to ignore them but it is the owners property

Master
    Well, it went exactly like you said. I took the car in today, they phoned me in the afternoon to tell the car was affected, it was the EGR cooler and supposedly there was already a hole burnt through... something. They've ordered the parts and I'm now driving a 520d xdrive courtesy car.

Master
    My 525 is in next month, they want it for a full day, the next available date in my local garage is August.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've heard nothing. What was the issue, please? The government MOT check website says my car isn't affected?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I've heard nothing. What was the issue, please? The government MOT check website says my car isn't affected?!
    I had a letter from BMW with a red border round it

Master
    I had a letter from BMW with a red border round it
    Well, I haven’t received one of those- but whether it was sent ....

Craftsman
    Mine goes in on 28 March for checking so not too bad. If it requires replacement might be a different issue based on what I read on here

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Ok, my car is affected by the recall
    1) can someone explain in layman terms what it is about please

2) Ashford (Kent) dealer Barretts or worth contacting Cooper in Tunbridge Wells or I don’t have a choice ?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Exhaust leaks, possible CO in cabin, and possibility of a fire.

I hated the attitude of the BMW salesmen at Sytner Oldbury around 2009/10. My wife got hers from there despite me saying what a*sh*oles they are. Apparently they have improved, but still put me off them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ok, my car is affected by the recall
    1) can someone explain in layman terms what it is about please

2) Ashford (Kent) dealer Barretts or worth contacting Cooper in Tunbridge Wells or I don’t have a choice ?
    I believe you can choose any authorised BMW dealer to do the work

Master
    Blog Entries
    I own a 2012 Alpina D5 and it seems that every 2012 f10 has been affected by the recall except my car.

Is there a website that I can check both the VIN numbers on?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    I own a 2012 Alpina D5 and it seems that every 2012 f10 has been affected by the recall except my car.

Is there a website that I can check both the VIN numbers on?
    Not sure on the VIN check's but I found this when I first heard about it:-

In the European market this technical action relates to the EGR module of BMW 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, X3, X4, X5, X6 vehicles with 4-cylinder diesel engines (production from April 2015 until September 2016) and 6-cylinder diesel engines (production from July 2012 until June 2015).

In the European market this technical action relates to the EGR module of BMW 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, X3, X4, X5, X6 vehicles with 4-cylinder diesel engines (production from April 2015 until September 2016) and 6-cylinder diesel engines (production from July 2012 until June 2015).
    My car is Nov 2011 (F11) and Mot check says it is affected
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Why not the 7 series? They are identical with 6 series under the hood?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

My 5 series went in 3 times, but the first two times they returned it not having done anything, as the part wasn't in stock! The third time the work was eventually done, and they confirmed that a leak was found. A bit of a shambles really. They did clean it inside and out however!

Sent from my SM-J600FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone had recall for their BMW Exhaust Recirculation cooler. My 5 Series went in today and they told me it’s affected. Then I was told it could take two days or two months they don’t know when they will get the parts, and to add insult to injury Enterprise arrive with a plasticy Froggy Renault Kadjar for me to use while it’s in
    Two blokes at work were affected by this. The first one had a 335. Enterprise gave him a Hyundai iconic hybrid. Which he didn't seem to mind! It took 5 weeks.

The second bloke had a 5 series not sure which. He took his car in for the initial check and they gave him a 4 series courtesy car. They then told him his car was effected and enterprise would be in touch. He refused to give the 4 series back until they provided him with a 5 series or equivalent. This went on for 2 weeks, with the best offer from enterprise being a Insignia. I saw him yesterday and he showed me a pic of a 68 plate 5 series hybrid which the dealer has supplied him with until his car is fixed, which had only 18 miles on the clock when they delivered it. Only problem is now is he doesn't want to give it back! So it might be worth complaining.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mijyou; 15th March 2019 at 04:10.

I tried to book my car in for a normal service and was surprised to be told that sometime in May is the earliest with a courtesy car, seeing this thread sort of explains why.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not quite the same as the OP, but my neighbour's new X4 was hit from behind last October. I understand that it wasn't a big shunt, but did some damage to the exhaust system. It is still off the road waiting for the necessary bits. Crazy!

Master
    I can’t let BMW have a car for an hour to service it without it getting a ding, or them screwing something up.

I’d want my property on my driveway or in my garage until they had the part. Happy to not drive it etc, but no way they or their customers are going to ding my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I can’t let BMW have a car for an hour to service it without it getting a ding, or them screwing something up.

I’d want my property on my driveway or in my garage until they had the part. Happy to not drive it etc, but no way they or their customers are going to ding my car.
    So why drive the brand?

Master
    So why drive the brand?
    Because I can separate between the brand/manufacturer & the dealer. However I don’t need to use the dealers for servicing, they are the ones that don’t care. Besides, nobody else to my knowledge makes M cars!

I now use a respected independent for the Z4, who know their onions & has a passion for cars vs a BMW technician who on the whole couldn’t really give a toss IMHO based on the state some of my cars has been been returned to me.

A dealer is not going to waste time training ‘part fitters’ on the nuances of the S54 engine which was last produced in 2008. Last time at the dealers, they were unable to just do an oil and brake fluid change as it wasn’t on their computer schedule & the car didn’t ‘need’ a service for another 14k.

M4 will go to them whilst under warranty, but travelling to Guildford where they are not cowboys like Coopers Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Because I can separate between the brand/manufacturer & the dealer. However I don’t need to use the dealers for servicing, they are the ones that don’t care. Besides, nobody else to my knowledge makes M cars!
    I agree!!.

Thanks for the expansion.

Craftsman
    My 520D is affected. BMW have a deal with Enterprise and currently I'm driving a Mercedes A180 auto for an unspecified time. I was offered a Nissan Quashquai but wanted an auto. You may have to haggle with Enterprise to see what replacement vehicle is offered

I've just had my 2007 E90 330i in for two outstanding recalls, the rear battery cable and heater blower/cable loom issue.
    First impression was not amazing, arranged over the phone that I could drop it off the day before and have a courtesy car for the day, turned up to be told that they don't usually issue that for these recalls so re-arranged it for the following friday. Dropped it off then and it was done in 3-hours.

Overall not too bad, full valet and enough coffee I could drink and found the staff very polite and helpful.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wish mine would have been done in three hours, they have had it three weeks now with no sign of when it’s going to be done.

The wife’s new Mercedes GLC is coming in 10 days and I have tried to blag it but no joy, so looks like I am stuck with the Crapjar

Master
    Blog Entries
    Telephoned BMW Tamworth today only to be told the recall parts for the 5 Series are taking the longest to come as even Germany have no stock. She admitted I should be prepared for the long haul.

She then telephoned me back saying could I bring the Enterprise hire car back tomorrow as they can put me in a Demo 5 30d so happy days.

Craftsman
    Telephoned BMW Tamworth today only to be told the recall parts for the 5 Series are taking the longest to come as even Germany have no stock. She admitted I should be prepared for the long haul.

She then telephoned me back saying could I bring the Enterprise hire car back tomorrow as they can put me in a Demo 5 30d so happy days.
    That's good news. How long have you had the hire car for

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I rang my dealer today for an update and was advised they were currently experiencing a 6 week wait for the part.

I found that holding out for an auto with Enterprise seemed to get a slightly better car type

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk