closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW Recall

Master
    Blog Entries

BMW Recall

Anyone had recall for their BMW Exhaust Recirculation cooler. My 5 Series went in today and they told me it’s affected. Then I was told it could take two days or two months they don’t know when they will get the parts, and to add insult to injury Enterprise arrive with a plasticy Froggy Renault Kadjar for me to use while it’s in

Master
    Big who haa on FB in the owners groups, its run into months for some

A work colleague had his recalled - and 6 weeks later still hasn't had his car back. This appears to be an epic fail of customer service by BMW, taking cars off the road when they have no idea of when the necessary parts will arrive hasn't gone down well...just check out their twitter feed

Master
    Mine was done about 6 months ago on my F20 125d. It took about 4 hours. I guess they had the part in stock!
    Last edited by Padders; 13th March 2019 at 21:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it goes over two weeks I am going to chase them for a better car, can’t ride around in that plasticy thing.

Mates 5 was off the road for 2 weeks, he was given a Skoda, wasn't too thrilled.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Mates 5 was off the road for 2 weeks, he was given a Skoda, wasn't too thrilled.

n2
    I’d sooner have a Superb then this Kadjar.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I’d sooner have a Superb then this Kadjar.
    Understandable

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Mine took three months for the part to be in stock then only took a morning to fix..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

n2
    Nothing wrong with a Superb!

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Our 330d was checked a couple of months ago during routine service. They had to strip down whatever it was, take a video and send it to BMW UK HQ. It was then deemed OK in our case and no further action required. The service manager told me it was a real pain for them due to it being labour intensive for what is a simple check, which I could well understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    A work colleague had his recalled - and 6 weeks later still hasn't had his car back. This appears to be an epic fail of customer service by BMW, taking cars off the road when they have no idea of when the necessary parts will arrive hasn't gone down well...just check out their twitter feed
    Your all making the mistake thinking that BMW give a toss about their customers, once they have your money they really don’t care, when it cones to customer service BMW UK are unbelievable, whearas in the states BMW can’t do enough because they have Lemon laws.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Your all making the mistake thinking that BMW give a toss about their customers, once they have your money they really don’t care, when it cones to customer service BMW UK are unbelievable, whearas in the states BMW can’t do enough because they have Lemon laws.
    It does depend on the local dealer to an extent.

We have had good and not so good between different dealers.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It does depend on the local dealer to an extent.

We have had good and not so good between different dealers.
    I had to sue to reject a faulty car they couldn’t fix, BMW UK didn’t want to know, response was it’s between you and the dealer, who refunded the car 48 hours before the hearing

I had to sue to reject a faulty car they couldn’t fix, BMW UK didn’t want to know, response was it’s between you and the dealer, who refunded the car 48 hours before the hearing
    As I said - dealer dependant.

As I said - dealer dependant.
    We need Lemon Laws on a par with the US legislation, it completely changes the attitude of the car manufacturers. This recall is a good example, they would get a week or have to replace or refund the car

We need Lemon Laws on a par with the US legislation, it completely changes the attitude of the car manufacturers. This recall is a good example, they would get a week or have to replace or refund the car
    We should not need to, but I suspect that you are correct, given the disparity across the dealer network.

Mine failed last week, at fifty eight thousand miles, 2016 (520d) there have been a few fires when the glycol leaks and mixes with the clogged up EGR.

Local dealer fixed it next day.
    They must have had the parts in.

Good luck. Hope you get sorted quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Not a fail - they aren’t taking a chance on this safety recall. They want the cars off the road now.

Craftsman
    In the trade- I know personally of two complete burnouts, both on the way to court at present as BMW have refused any responsibility. Uk main agents are a law unto themselves it would seem. In 50yrs in the motor trade the only properly stand on warranty of any use is with Kia-they rarely fail but if they have any issues the warranty service is superb.QED.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Our 330d was checked a couple of months ago during routine service. They had to strip down whatever it was, take a video and send it to BMW UK HQ. It was then deemed OK in our case and no further action required. The service manager told me it was a real pain for them due to it being labour intensive for what is a simple check, which I could well understand.
    My 330d is going in next week, I think they quote 3 hours for it, and I'm also not sure yet if my car if affected.

Master
    My 525 is in next month, they want it for a full day, the next available date in my local garage is August.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've heard nothing. What was the issue, please? The government MOT check website says my car isn't affected?!

Craftsman
    Mine goes in on 28 March for checking so not too bad. If it requires replacement might be a different issue based on what I read on here

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Ok, my car is affected by the recall
    1) can someone explain in layman terms what it is about please

2) Ashford (Kent) dealer Barretts or worth contacting Cooper in Tunbridge Wells or I don’t have a choice ?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Exhaust leaks, possible CO in cabin, and possibility of a fire.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ok, my car is affected by the recall
    1) can someone explain in layman terms what it is about please

2) Ashford (Kent) dealer Barretts or worth contacting Cooper in Tunbridge Wells or I don’t have a choice ?
    I believe you can choose any authorised BMW dealer to do the work

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I hated the attitude of the BMW salesmen at Sytner Oldbury around 2009/10. My wife got hers from there despite me saying what a*sh*oles they are. Apparently they have improved, but still put me off them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I own a 2012 Alpina D5 and it seems that every 2012 f10 has been affected by the recall except my car.

Is there a website that I can check both the VIN numbers on?

My 5 series went in 3 times, but the first two times they returned it not having done anything, as the part wasn't in stock! The third time the work was eventually done, and they confirmed that a leak was found. A bit of a shambles really. They did clean it inside and out however!

Sent from my SM-J600FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    My 330d is going in next week, I think they quote 3 hours for it, and I'm also not sure yet if my car if affected.
    That’s if they have the parts, here in the U.K. some cars have been lying in the dealerships for weeks. As soon as they find out if your cars is affected, you cannot have it back till it’s done

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I've heard nothing. What was the issue, please? The government MOT check website says my car isn't affected?!
    I had a letter from BMW with a red border round it

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    I own a 2012 Alpina D5 and it seems that every 2012 f10 has been affected by the recall except my car.

Is there a website that I can check both the VIN numbers on?
    Not sure on the VIN check's but I found this when I first heard about it:-

In the European market this technical action relates to the EGR module of BMW 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, X3, X4, X5, X6 vehicles with 4-cylinder diesel engines (production from April 2015 until September 2016) and 6-cylinder diesel engines (production from July 2012 until June 2015).

In the European market this technical action relates to the EGR module of BMW 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, X3, X4, X5, X6 vehicles with 4-cylinder diesel engines (production from April 2015 until September 2016) and 6-cylinder diesel engines (production from July 2012 until June 2015).
    My car is Nov 2011 (F11) and Mot check says it is affected
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Anyone had recall for their BMW Exhaust Recirculation cooler. My 5 Series went in today and they told me it’s affected. Then I was told it could take two days or two months they don’t know when they will get the parts, and to add insult to injury Enterprise arrive with a plasticy Froggy Renault Kadjar for me to use while it’s in
    Two blokes at work were affected by this. The first one had a 335. Enterprise gave him a Hyundai iconic hybrid. Which he didn't seem to mind! It took 5 weeks.

The second bloke had a 5 series not sure which. He took his car in for the initial check and they gave him a 4 series courtesy car. They then told him his car was effected and enterprise would be in touch. He refused to give the 4 series back until they provided him with a 5 series or equivalent. This went on for 2 weeks, with the best offer from enterprise being a Insignia. I saw him yesterday and he showed me a pic of a 68 plate 5 series hybrid which the dealer has supplied him with until his car is fixed, which had only 18 miles on the clock when they delivered it. Only problem is now is he doesn't want to give it back! So it might be worth complaining.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mijyou; 15th March 2019 at 04:10.

Why not the 7 series? They are identical with 6 series under the hood?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    I had a letter from BMW with a red border round it
    Well, I haven’t received one of those- but whether it was sent ....

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Why not the 7 series? They are identical with 6 series under the hood?
    My Sister’s 730d is affected, and being recalled. Coincidentally - she is getting the smell of exhaust in the car.

That’s if they have the parts, here in the U.K. some cars have been lying in the dealerships for weeks. As soon as they find out if your cars is affected, you cannot have it back till it’s done
    That cannot be true, it might be stupid to ignore them but it is the owners property

That cannot be true, it might be stupid to ignore them but it is the owners property

If they have the car - it is quite likely that they will not let you have the car back until it is fixed.

It is seen as a major safety risk.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If they have the car - it is quite likely that they will not let you have the car back until it is fixed.

It is seen as a major safety risk.
    It is your property You can choose to do with it whatever you want, obviously you can take it elsewhere to get it fixed.

I’ve been reading this thread, the EDR valve on modern BMWs is at the very front of the engine, that is a long way from the cabin.

So it is the EGR cooler, some people say they can smell burning coolant, but the recall is in case the valve overheats
    Last edited by adrianw; 15th March 2019 at 08:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It is your property You can choose to do with it whatever you want, obviously you can take it elsewhere to get it fixed.

I’ve been reading this thread, the EDR valve on modern BMWs is at the very front of the engine, that is a long way from the cabin.

So it is the EGR cooler, some people say they can smell burning coolant, but the recall is in case the valve overheats

Craftsman
    Engine coolant creeps into clogged EGR valves,crystallises and becomes highly combustible. Nutshell.

Absolutely!

There's a load of owners here in NI without their cars for months. They're driving rentals... Hyundai etc. And not happy!

I suspect that BMW know that even if an owner signs a waiver to have his car released by the dealer - they know that hardly anyone or their families will have the integrity (after a crash or fire) - to stand by that waiver.

Craftsman
    I've received a letter for my 4 series 420. EGR cooler issue.

Hopefully get mine in this week. If a car is needed I'll ask for a BMW.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just hope they have one to give you, they are inundated and have no Courtesy cars.

You will find they do not want to give you one for the day, it’s only when they confirm that it has to have the work done, then it’s Enterprise with a lowly crap car.

I tried to book my car in for a normal service and was surprised to be told that sometime in May is the earliest with a courtesy car, seeing this thread sort of explains why.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not quite the same as the OP, but my neighbour's new X4 was hit from behind last October. I understand that it wasn't a big shunt, but did some damage to the exhaust system. It is still off the road waiting for the necessary bits. Crazy!