closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time to buy some new shoes

Master

Time to buy some new shoes

I need a new pair of work shoes (either Brogues or Oxfords) and wondering what to buy.

I've had a couple of pairs of Grensons (Oxfords with Dainite soles) over the years and always been impressed with the quality and durability, but considering maybe getting something a little better in quality.

I also have a pair of Church's that are nice shoes, but have never been totally convinced that they are that much better quality than the Grensons given the increased cost, so, would appreciate any advice and recommendations please.

I've been considering a pair of Crockett and Jones, so, - Loake, Crockett and Jones, Church's, Barker what do you buy?

Thanks
    Adam

Loake and barker are not in the same league as Trickers, Cheaney or Crockett and Jones.
    I like the George Cleverley RTW range which are actually made by C&J.

I like the country Trickers but for something more refined/formal I personally go for Cleverly or C&J

I wear Crocket & Jones but I wake up early on a Saturday and buy from the factory for considerably cheaper. Last time I got a pair which retails for £360 for £140. The soft green bag is a fiver on top.

Master
    C&J seem to work better for me

Master
    Trickers are my personal favourite

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I wear Crocket & Jones but I wake up early on a Saturday and buy from the factory for considerably cheaper. Last time I got a pair which retails for £360 for £140. The soft green bag is a fiver on top.
    That's incredible!

Craftsman
    I owned a pair of Loake welted brogues shoes (not the cheap range) and they lasted me three years but they did have to be resoled each year with general polishing on occasions.

Even in heavy down pours and walking through puddles they did not leak and I also remember standing in a puddle that went up to the tongue and still my socks remained bone dry.

Earlier this year I purchased a pair of Trickers brogues but I feel there quality is not as good as Loake. For example, the first time I wore them new out the box, it was lightly raining while walking to work and I felt dampness in the shoes and they had allowed water in.

Get yourself to Northampton and fill yer boots

Master
    That sounds like a good plan.
    I'm going to put a Saturday morning visit in my diary.
    Does the factory shop have a decent selection?

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Decent enough but if you go online and know what you want you can call ahead and reserve a pair for a week or two. If you have small feet get in EARLY. You'll see plenty of Japanese buying up the smaller sizes and they are on time. Better to be half an hour early than 5 mins late or might be a trip for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Get yourself to Northampton and fill yer boots
    This, everytime. Theres numerous factory shops in the area.

https://www.northamptonshoes.com/factory-shops

It varies but it pays to get there early and ask if they anything else in the back as some places just don't have room to dispaly everything.

Crocket and jones exceptional even amoung other English shoes the 396 last is particularly good for narrow feet and whatever you do invest in a pr of crocket and jones shoe trees which really do extend the life and helps maintain the shape !... I have various shoe trees and there’s are way better than any others ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I have a few Loake 1880s and a couple of Trickers. The honest truth is that the Loakes win hands down.

Take a look at Herrings website?
    Lots of their own brand stuff is made by well known makers such as Cheaney
    Or try some Alfred Sargent, beautiful shoes often available at shoe healer (along with Tricker etc)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    This, everytime. Theres numerous factory shops in the area.

https://www.northamptonshoes.com/factory-shops

It varies but it pays to get there early and ask if they anything else in the back as some places just don't have room to dispaly everything.

Sound advice Gents thanks.
    I've a date fixed to visit C&J's factory shop in a couple of weeks.
    I'll let you all know how I get on.

I'll look at visiting the other factory shops aswell in due time

Master
    All update,

I made the trek down to C&J’s factory shop this morning, dropped lucky on a parking space just opposite the factory arriving at about. 08:45. First in the shop when the door was unlocked and after trying on a couple of pairs bagged a pair of dark brown Hallam Oxford shoes in 348 last. A £440 pair for £200. All I can see wrong with them is a very small blemish on one of the toe caps, which is hardly visible, so I think that’s a decent result!!

I’ll post some photos later.
    A big thanks to Wileeeeey for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    What size are you Adam?

I’m about to clear out few pairs of Cheaneys and Alfred Sergeant that haven’t been worn - owned by my late father and it’s time to pass them on.

Jim

I need a new pair of work shoes (either Brogues or Oxfords) and wondering what to buy.

I've had a couple of pairs of Grensons (Oxfords with Dainite soles) over the years and always been impressed with the quality and durability, but considering maybe getting something a little better in quality.

I also have a pair of Church's that are nice shoes, but have never been totally convinced that they are that much better quality than the Grensons given the increased cost, so, would appreciate any advice and recommendations please.

I've been considering a pair of Crockett and Jones, so, - Loake, Crockett and Jones, Church's, Barker what do you buy?

Thanks
    Adam

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    What size are you Adam?

I’m about to clear out few pairs of Cheaneys and Alfred Sergeant that haven’t been worn - owned by my late father and it’s time to pass them on.

Jim
    PM sent Jim.

Glad you got them sorted. I'm going in a few weeks for some nice black Oxfords and brown suede penny loafers. Hoping they have some available!