closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Other 'Achievement' or 'famous' watches?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    A very unusual 'first', the 1957 Tourist Everlight was the first watch to use an electric light.
    That's actually really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The Movado that belonged to my greatest hero, Alan Turing.
    I was pleased and a little surprised to see he won the recent BBC "Icon of the 20th Century" award. I first heard of him and his work when I was at Uni (just as the embargo on his papers lifted, really) and have been a fan of his ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    That's actually really interesting, thanks for sharing.

I was pleased and a little surprised to see he won the recent BBC "Icon of the 20th Century" award. I first heard of him and his work when I was at Uni (just as the embargo on his papers lifted, really) and have been a fan of his ever since.

If you liked that one, maybe you will enjoy this 1946 'TELEFOOT' referee/football fan/phone call timer watch.

It appears to be a forefather of the 1970's Sicura GT4B, which uses the same resetting extra minute hand, similar to the Omega Chronostop, but slower!
    My example below.

Last edited by bobbee; 25th March 2019 at 11:38. Reason: corrections

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    The reason that the Bulova Chrono wasn't accepted was that, Ironically, it failed the NASA procurement criteria that the watch had to be 51% American made. Thanks to the long standing relationship with Star watch cases, the Omega was. The Bulova chronograph was made by Universal Geneve in Switzerland and didn't.

The Accutron was well and truly proven in the X15 and the NF104A. It was the standard replacement issue for the A17 in these, and a few other programs. While it is perfectly true that the 214 Accutron was the standard panel and instrument package timer, that's not an argument against the Speedmaster and mechanical chronographs, it's an argument for them. The variation was a good thing in case some sort of solar event interfered with an electrical watch and the chronograph function was of undoubted value.

Incidentally, the first watch in space gets complicated - the first watch movement was, and indeed still is, a 214 accutron in Vanguard 1 (March 17 1958) The first watch, the first watch to make it back and the first watch on a living creature was a Pobeda, on the collar of Chernuska the dog on March 9 1961.

The first watch on the wrist of a man is debatable, but it certainly wasn't a chronograph, it was a simple three hander and while it is traditionally a 1МЧЗ 'sturmanski', there's more than a suspicion that it was an almost identical Zim watch, also not unlike Cernuska's Pobeda, but with a dial that celebrated a memorial to a famous skirmish during the Russian revolution. It's certainly the watch in the section of the Cosmonaut's museum dedicated to the flight.
    The first watch in space would surely be the first watch to survive a space walk/ the vacuum of space/ harsh environment of space - not sit inside a space crafts so that would be (for me) the strela or not please sirs? (Honest question)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Tudor Oyster Prince - British North Greenland Expedition (1952-54).
    Indeed, specifically the 7809 reference. Here’s one Tudor made a short while later.

There’s a good thread on the BNGE Tudors on VintageRolexForum. There’s an endurance element to BNGE that none of the Everest expeditions can match, as the two missions each lasted for one year.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    The first watch in space would surely be the first watch to survive a space walk/ the vacuum of space/ harsh environment of space - not sit inside a space crafts so that would be (for me) the strela or not please sirs? (Honest question)
    Good to see this thread revived.
    Your assertion would seem true if that is how you define first watch in space. That is based on what I gleaned from Wornandwound article. Look forward to what Matt has to say on the subject.

Blog Entries
    Good read this…

Now…. Which watch did Laika wear?

Great thread

What about General Schwarzkop, Seiko 7548 I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Heuerfan View Post
    What about General Schwarzkop, Seiko 7548 I believe
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/9r0u8GP.jpg
    Seiko SKX009

General Norman Schwarzkopf & His Watches
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/remembe...f-his-watches/

The only man allowed to be wearing two watches.
    Last edited by abraxas; 14th April 2019 at 13:42.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The only man allowed to be wearing two watches.

I stand corrected Mr Curta.

Journeyman

Other 'Achievement' or 'famous' watches?

As part of my research for an article I wrote on the sole surviving Land Rover from the London-Singapore First Overland expedition in 1955-56, I was lucky enough to interview one of the expedition members, Tim Slessor. The book he authored on the expedition is widely regarded as one of the greatest travel books ever written.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxfo...ern_Expedition

While reading the book, I noticed a mention of the Smiths watches that the expedition party was supplied with, so I made sure to ask about them during my correspondence with Tim. I had a faint hope that he might still own/wear the watch, but he told me that it broke after ten years of hard field use - after returning from First Overland, Tim went on several other expeditions (writing books for them too). He’s not a watch enthusiast and the watch was merely a tool to him, so when it failed it was disposed of one way or another. He couldn’t quite remember the circs; this was 50 years ago after all!

I’m no Smiths expert, but I believe these would’ve been Everest models as the dates of the trip roughly tally with the launch IIRC, and it would seem a no-brainer to link then PR-wise. I sent Tim a link to various Smiths models but he couldn’t pick a particular one out as being recognisable as the models the party was given. I would love to find out and treat myself to one as a memory of my time researching/writing the Land Rover’s story and spending several enjoyable hours interviewing Tim, but if he doesn’t know I don’t know who will for sure today! Perhaps someone with more Smiths knowledge than me could dig into the numerous pictures from the expedition and have a stab at identifying them...

If you’ve made it this far into my post, then you should probably consider reading his book on the expedition - witty, well-written and an insight into the world as it was in the mid-50s. Only a few quid off Amazon, I’m sure i can post/PM a link if anyone’s struggling to find it.

Pic is of the six expedition team members and all their kit (including six Smiths watches in there somewhere)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JoeyTudor; 25th April 2019 at 01:07.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I stand corrected Mr Curta.

[url=https://postimg.cc/8sKZhxRM][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Prh0kjN3/IMG-6073.png[

Not all men though. Diana certainly not one. A debate to be had about Cruz after the way he caved in to Trump after he said disgusting things about his family and Amitabh Bachchan is the God Of acting.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 25th April 2019 at 02:45.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Todd Beamer was an account manager for the Oracle Corporation. He died at age 32 in the September 11, 2001 attacks on board United Airlines Flight 93. His watch was amongst the wreckage.
    Todd and other passengers had been in communication with people via in-plane and cell phones and learned that the World Trade Center had been attacked using hijacked airplanes. Beamer tried to place a credit card call through a phone located on the back of a plane seat but was routed to a customer-service representative instead, who passed him on to supervisor Lisa Jefferson. Beamer reported that one passenger was killed and, later, that a flight attendant had told him the pilot and co-pilot had been forced from the cockpit and may have been wounded. He was also on the phone when the plane made its turn in a southeasterly direction, a move that had him briefly panicking. Later, he told the operator that some of the plane's passengers were planning "jump on" the hijackers. According to Jefferson, Beamer's last audible words were "Are you guys ready? Let's roll." This term would later become the war cry for those fighting Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

^ Just been reading about this on Reddit. Thought it had a place in this thread.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I don't deny that, but you may want to look into the complexities of Bulova's relationship with NASA and the vast effort they went to to get bulova back on Astronaut's wrists. Because this:

Was the default watch of astronauts until the Speedmaster came along and was the watch worn by Scott on Gemini eight.
    Accutron Cockpit clock may well be one of my next buys.
    In the interim I'll settle for my own M4, now if I could I track down a NOS handset
    The effort Bulova put into precision timing and the NASA links are of significance to early US spaceflight IMO.

I've got Murray Douglas’ Watch from the Commonwealth Transantarctic Expedition (CTAE) of 1955–1958 on which Hillary and Fuchs went overland to the South Pole

I was working at the computer on Saturday afternoon when an email arrived from the great John Senior.

Had I seen this?

I had not. But I thought it was a nice watch with interesting history.

As it turned out I was the only bidder so I won the auction very cheaply, which is no reflection on the seller as it was well listed.

Some pics from the ebay listing (better photos than I could take)

Who was Murray Douglas?

“Murray Douglas was part of the New Zealand contingent on the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition [CTAE] which took place in 1956/57.

He was a mechanic and a dog handler.

A top mountain guide, later, he was to run a tourist shop in Lake Benmore.

Mount Douglas is a striking pyramidal peak in Antarctica, 1,750 m, near the head of Fry Glacier, on the divide between the Fry and Mawson Glaciers. The New Zealand Northern Survey Party of the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition (1956-58) established a survey station on its summit in December 1957.

Mount Douglas is named for Murray H. Douglas”

Source: http://douglashistory.co.uk/history/murraydouglas.htm

“Another person with climbing experience was Murray Douglas who had originally been assigned as a member of the summer party for the 1956-57 season. However, Hillary had seen the need for an extra person to help Ayres out with the dogs and decided that Douglas should remain for the coming year. Hillary had not gained Ross Sea Committee approval for this change and towards the end of the summer season rather than make a formal request, he decided to send Douglas on an extended sledging journey to ensure that Endeavour would have sailed north by the time he returned to Scott Base. The RSC were not amused calling Hillary’s gambit a “...a somewhat high-handed action” and with no practical alternative were forced to acquiesce and give their consent.”

Source: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/35472219.pdf

Film footage here:

https://www.coolantarctica.com/Commu...expedition.php

N.B. the final instalment: at 05:20 Fuchs appears to be wearing a black dialled watch — IWC Mk XI? — on his right wrist and the Smiths 27CS (?) on his left.

Look here for pics of the man himself https://adam.antarcticanz.govt.nz/nodes/view/45461

And the inevitable wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common...tic_Expedition

plus some extra details here:

https://adam.antarcticanz.govt.nz/nodes/view/33008

The watch is running (Felsa 690 movement, nothing special but solid enough). I’m checking timekeeping but it might end up going for the “Senior Spa” treatment if it’s anything less than COSC. Heck, at my age a Senior Spa sounds increasingly like a good idea. (Although I don’t think John wants to oil my jewels.)

Speaking of people called "John" there's a funny thread on Omega Forums identifying Basil Fawlty's watch as a 1970's Seamaster chronograph.

BASIL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I've got Murray Douglas’ Watch from the Commonwealth Transantarctic Expedition (CTAE) of 1955–1958 on which Hillary and Fuchs went overland to the South Pole
    Photo taken at the exhibition at the University of Oxford History of Science Museum.

https://www.idawatches.org
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Photo taken at the exhibition at the University of Oxford History of Science Museum.

https://www.idawatches.org
    Did they have the CITES certificate in the display case as well?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.