closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dad's Smiths pocket watch

Dad's Smiths pocket watch

Had my folks round for dinner yesterday and my dad handed this over. A Smiths pocket Watch that he used to take down the pit when he was a trainee fitter. It's suitably beat up and unfortunately it's not working when I wind it.

Does anyone know anything about these? My guess is they're as common as muck but I'd be interested in any information anyone may have. Based on that I can decide if it's worth getting it looked at.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Looks good to me. Welsh-made I think, rather than the higher-grade Cheltenham models (which say "Made in England" rather than "Britain"). Does it tick loudly? That would indicate a low-jewel pin-pallet ecsapement. Was it issued by the Coal Board? Some have markings on the back that show they were.

That would look great on a chain with a waistcoat.

Enjoy!

PS date: I think 1950s. I'll have a look later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Looks good to me. Welsh-made I think, rather than the higher-grade Cheltenham models (which say "Made in England" rather than "Britain"). Does it tick loudly? That would indicate a low-jewel pin-pallet ecsapement. Was it issued by the Coal Board? Some have markings on the back that show they were.

That would look great on a chain with a waistcoat.

Enjoy!

PS date: I think 1950s. I'll have a look later.
    Yes I think so Roy Taylor (RLT) Used to sell quite a few of them NOS a few years ago I had one and sold it but bought another from ebay years ago. They are chrome cased as far as I know and very basic movement (And yes as you say, loud tick) Mine was ticking fast but seems to have settled down rather well which would suggest in spite of the low grade movement they will last fairly well.

OP regarding restoring the pocket watch, I had an old stopwatch I had restored a few years ago by the watch bloke. The service cost more than the value of the stopwatch but it was from my uncle so was worth every penny.

Thanks for the replies both of you. My dad purchased this himself so it's not a coal board issue. Unfortunately it's not working when I wound it up. I've quite a lot on at present so will come back to it in a few months hopefully when I can look into it properly. For information the number on the movement is 62

Master
    Have just sent my Grandfather's Moeris pocket watch to Steven Fletcher (of Repair Shop fame) at The Clock Workshop. Am awaiting an appraisal and service cost estimate.

It's monetary value is very modest but I feel I should at least try and give it some more life.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering who would be best to send this to for a looking over. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

So further to this my mum appeared today with her dad's old pocket Watch. An Ingersoll Thriumph in a nice leather pouch. I assume its common as muck but I can't really see any on Google / ebay with the same face as this one. Anyone any ideas please? The movement is stamped - 537M made in Gt Britain.

Craftsman
    Basically the same as your Smiths. Might even be made in the same factory.
    I have one and a couple of Smiths. They tick nice and loud which my kids used to appreciate when they were going to sleep.

Dave

Thanks for the reply. This one does work and as you say it is quite loud

I believe the mainspring has a tendency to snap on those. Nice history to it though.