closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hip to be square (pic heavy)

Hip to be square (pic heavy)

I’ve just received this Bell & Ross BR03-92 Diver Bronze from Watches Of Mayfair, who were excellent I have to say.

I was looking at a Monaco for my 50th in June, it seemed fated as the Monaco is also 50 this year and, even though I’ve always intended to, I’ve never got around to picking one up.

My budget left a little room after the price of the Monaco so I was looking to see what else I could find to go alongside it when I came across the B&R Diver with the blue dial and was immediately smitten.

I researched it and looked at many images online and in doing so I found the bronze diver, released alongside the blue at Basel last year and, even though it was more expensive and may have to bump the Monaco for a while yet again, I couldn’t resist.

The movement is a Calibre BR-CAL.302, which is a Sellita automatic at it’s base. The case is bronze with a steel back, 42x42 but only 12.2 mm thick and the watch conforms to the ISO6425 standard for dive watches, which includes an internal faraday cage to combat magnetic fields apparently.

It comes on a calf leather strap with a spare rubber strap in the peli case, along with hex tools to change them, and is surprisingly comfortable on the wrist, wearing smaller than the 42mm size would suggest, in part due to the stubby lugs I’m sure.

It’s water-resistant to 300 metres so it will be fine in the bath I’m sure I’ll take on it! B&R aren’t known for their value retention obviously and, even though this is a limited edition of 999, the fact that I was able to get one around six months after first release means that this is no Speedy Tuesday!

Anyway, enough rambling, sorry for all the waffle, on to the pictures.....

If the pics are too big can someone let me know and I can replace them with smaller ones.

Finally I have to say I’m liking the bronze so much that I’m still thinking of grabbing the blue diver too, though I’m battling with myself as I really must get around to the Monaco at some point!

Sent from my back pocket without my knowledge
    Last edited by thefatboy; 21st March 2019 at 14:58.

Master
    Very nice. I’m also a recent convert to the square B&R, in my case a ceramic cased BR03. It gives me far more joy than I thought it would, and is probably my most worn watch (it’s on my wrist as I type!) Would also love one of the divers.

Enjoy your new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Very nice. I’m also a recent convert to the square B&R, in my case a ceramic cased BR03. It gives me far more joy than I thought it would, and is probably my most worn watch (it’s on my wrist as I type!) Would also love one of the divers.

Enjoy your new purchase.
    Thanks Skip, I’m glad you’re enjoying yours too, how’s the ceramic, I imagine the lightness makes it pretty comfortable on the wrist?

I had always dismissed B&R due to imagined size concerns but I was pleasantly surprised when I tried on the blue diver, with those stubby lugs there’s no overhang.

Every time I look at the picture below the Monaco purchase is a little less certain!

Craftsman
    That’s rather lovely, congratulations on the incoming 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    That’s rather lovely, congratulations on the incoming
    Thanks, much appreciated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    Thanks Skip, I’m glad you’re enjoying yours too, how’s the ceramic, I imagine the lightness makes it pretty comfortable on the wrist?

I had always dismissed B&R due to imagined size concerns but I was pleasantly surprised when I tried on the blue diver, with those stubby lugs there’s no overhang.

Every time I look at the picture below the Monaco purchase is a little less certain!

The ceramic is great - as you say its extremely comfortable, and the best thing is, 3 months after buying it its not got a mark on it!

Was also concerned about the size before i got it, but have found it to be spot on. I've got 3 OEM straps for it (leather, rubber, nylon) and each changes the look dramatically.

The ceramic is great - as you say its extremely comfortable, and the best thing is, 3 months after buying it its not got a mark on it!

Was also concerned about the size before i got it, but have found it to be spot on. I've got 3 OEM straps for it (leather, rubber, nylon) and each changes the look dramatically.

That looks lovely and I like the idea of no scratches!

How have you found changing the buckle? I understand that it’s just a spring bar? I’m tempted to give the rubber strap a go but I haven’t tried it yet. The strap change itself should hopefully be easy with the supplied tools but I do have an uncanny ability to cock things up so you never know!

I must say I am also taken with the B&R blue diver which is a surprise as I have never been a fan of their square cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    B&R are interesting and probably one of the best watch with 4.30 date integration on the dial

In comparison,Bp divers’ date window looks sloppy

Master
    I like these, but they’re not a Monaco (if I assume we’re talking CAW211P).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    So buy One of each....Obviously !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That looks lovely and I like the idea of no scratches!

How have you found changing the buckle? I understand that it’s just a spring bar? I’m tempted to give the rubber strap a go but I haven’t tried it yet. The strap change itself should hopefully be easy with the supplied tools but I do have an uncanny ability to cock things up so you never know!

Very easy to change the buckle, as it has drilled “lugs” just a matter of pushing the spring bar out (if you don’t have a spring bar tool a paper clip would do it) After the first time you’ll find it a doodle.

Very easy to change the buckle, as it has drilled “lugs” just a matter of pushing the spring bar out (if you don’t have a spring bar tool a paper clip would do it) After the first time you’ll find it a doodle.
    Thanks Skip, I’ll give it a go, see how it looks on the rubber.

Hip to be square (pic heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I must say I am also taken with the B&R blue diver which is a surprise as I have never been a fan of their square cases
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    B&R are interesting and probably one of the best watch with 4.30 date integration on the dial

In comparison,Bp divers’ date window looks sloppy
    I’m definitely seeing B&R in a new light, the BR03 does seem a lot more wearable than the BR01 at 46mm.

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I like these, but they’re not a Monaco (if I assume we’re talking CAW211P).
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    So buy One of each....Obviously !
    Probably a Calibre 11 yes, though I wouldn’t rule out a Calibre 12 and getting both the Monaco and the blue B&R would be the sensible decision and will probably happen but one of them might have to wait for a bit!

Master
    I have a soft spot for these B&Rs. In fact, I've just popped a pre-order in for the new Bi-Compass :)

simon

Very refreshing choice and great to read about your enthusiasm for your new purchase. The Monaco is a great watch, but nice to have something a bit less freighted too👍

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I have a soft spot for these B&Rs. In fact, I've just popped a pre-order in for the new Bi-Compass :)

simon
    That looks very nice Simon, the colours really work well with the black case, have you got a long wait?

Master
    That looks very nice Simon, the colours really work well with the black case, have you got a long wait?

Should be be beginning of April - fingers crossed!

simon

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Very refreshing choice and great to read about your enthusiasm for your new purchase. The Monaco is a great watch, but nice to have something a bit less freighted too
    Thanks JG, I’m surprised to hear so many B&R fans weighing in as I thought they weren’t well regarded but I also have to say I really did have to wrestle with the value retention demons but in the end I chose to take the advice frequently given by the TZ faithful “...buy what you like.....”

Master
    I looked hard and long at the square B&R but in the end this won out, time yet for another square in the box though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I looked hard and long at the square B&R but in the end this won out, time yet for another square in the box though.

A good decision I think, it is beautiful and the heritage is hard to ignore too, it's the complete package, enjoy it!

I'll definitely be getting one, hopefully sooner rather than later and I think the blue diver can then be picked up later, once there are a few on the pre-owned market at a decent price. That's the plan, at least for the next hour or so anyway!

Master
    Aha, the best laid plans of mice and men.........

It’s all good fun though.

Craftsman
    The divers are very nice actually, the concept has worked better than expected when i first read about them.

I also like to see a BR with applied markers rather than paint. It just brings the level up.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    The divers are very nice actually, the concept has worked better than expected when i first read about them.

I also like to see a BR with applied markers rather than paint. It just brings the level up.

It looks like you weren't the only one with reservations, I was reading a thread on the B&R forum on WUS and I was quite surprised, there was a lot of negative reaction when the first diver was announced in 2017!

It does seem like it's won most people over now though and I haven't been able to find many of the black dial on the pre-owned market, I thought I might be able to find one at a decent price as it's the oldest but either people are holding on to them or they just haven't sold many!