closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two tone, what's not to love?

Master

Two tone, what's not to love?

Looking at MartynJC's root beer I find myself liking it much more than I would like many two tones....the rose gold has a subdued and 'vintage' hue which i like. Tudor S&G is perhaps making yellow gold more popular too. Its set me thinking, why is it that two tone is out of fashion? Is it just fashion? is it that plain steel, or even plain gold, fit better as part of an outfit? or...is it that its just seen as blingy or worse...wanabe bling? I stated thinking, if it is the wanabe bling image, could a steel and bronze tool watch look good?

JUst a few random thoughts, but what do others think? consign two tone to the sin bin of shame, or wear it and flaunt it, or...?

Journeyman
    Stainless steel goes with everything and is less ostentatious.

They’d make a perfect retirement gift...
    Last edited by DA56; 12th March 2019 at 22:44.

Martyns TT CHNR is probably the only TT I have ever seen that I thought ,wow, that looks great. It's definitely the subtlety of the rose gold that makes it work for me though. YG TT's are just a bit too much for my taste.

Grand Master
    I own several bimetal watches, I’ve always liked them.

I owned one rose gold/steel watch for a while, a watch I struggled to find, but I never really bonded with it and sold it on. For me, yellow gold works far better in a bimetal design.

Having collected watches for 27 years I make my own mind up, I don’t care about fashion or what Hodinkee or some 30 year old hipsters with beards and tight jeans say, I like what I like.

Some might find anything polished to be too blingy for them, and most bimetals fall into this category. I take the opposite view.

Price is another factor working against bimetal watches, given the limited amount if gold in them they’re v. expensive and less people can afford them.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DA56 View Post

They’d make a. perfect retirement gift...
    I was waiting for the ageism to crop up on this thread....disn’t have long to wait!

Retirement has many advantages, particularly when taken early........think about that when you’re gettng up early for work!

I’ll think about you tomorrow whilst I’m having a leisurely breakfast, wearing a nice 70s bimetal Constellation

I'm not a fan of two tone, not quite one thing or the other. Steel and yellow gold just contrast too much and make most watches look unnecessarily busy and, if I'm honest, cheap! That said, the root beer Rolex is a much more subtle two tone, and all the better for it.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I was waiting for the ageism to crop up on this thread....disn’t have long to wait!

Retirement has many advantages, particularly when taken early........think about that when you’re gettng up early for work!

I’ll think about you tomorrow whilst I’m having a leisurely breakfast, wearing a nice 70s bimetal Constellation
    Haha, yes. Only the old folks who’ve done their bit can afford gold.

Good on you, my father retired at 55 (now 68) and I envy his leisurely lifestyle.

Master
    Good points there and yes i think your right, for the amount of gold they don't feel good value. The S&G tudor...plated bracelet, rolled gold crown and oooo a fraction of a gram of solid gold in the bezel.. hmm.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    I'm not a fan of two tone, not quite one thing or the other. Steel and yellow gold just contrast too much and make most watches look unnecessarily busy and, if I'm honest, cheap! That said, the root beer Rolex is a much more subtle two tone, and all the better for it.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk
    If it’s done right, it looks fine! However, there is a danger of the watch looking too ‘busy’, some of the current Datejust variants fall into that trap. I wouldn’t say it looks cheap, but on some watches there’s too much going on ( brushed/ polished/gold/steel). Dial colours that work with steel or gold don’t work with bimetal, but like most things it’s subjective.

Brushed steel/brushed yellow gold works well, I have a 70s Constellation that like this and it’s quite subdued......it wasn’t when I bought it because the gold was polished! Likewise, I have a pre-Bond Omega Seamaster Pro with brushed gold centre links and that works OK.

Craftsman
    I mentioned this before, in another thread on the topic. I've always had my reservations about ttone watches. Seemed a bit too old or dodgy car salesman for me. I was then gifted a vintage TT datejust on a jubilee as a wedding present which I never wore.
    However I was reliably informed by 2 girlsi work with in thier early 20s, that these are the hot watches the ones that they covet and most of thier friends want. They even went as far as asking if I'd sell it ,as I didn't wear it.
    Since then in a effort to look on trend I've given it a few outings and sad to say it's growing on me.

Master
    is there an age thing here? too young to know better and too old to....remember why they should care? ;) those of us in the middle....well.

Blog Entries
    TT are growing on me.

Omega’s take - I think is rather classy at a fraction of the price.

Martyn.

Grand Master
    Got to laugh when folks use the term ‘on trend’..........means absolutely nothing to me!

I own a 1986 bimetal Datejust 16013, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet and silver stick dial. I bought this 11 years ago from the original owner who claimed he’d only worn it around a dozen times, the watch was just like new and it certainly hasn’t had much use. I probably wear it 5 or 6 times/ year so it stays in mint condition. Next time I wear it I can take comfort in the knowledge that I’m doing something ‘on trend’.......I’ll sleep easier knowing that!

I think I like them, before any of the stigma etc.

My first, expensive to me watch, was a two tone Seiko - I didn't think about what anyone else would think, I just really liked it - it was only part gold plate anyway.

Years later I developed a dislike of TT especially sports Rolex, and felt they were the ugly sister of the range.

These days I buy what I like the look of. I quite like a few TT Rolex too. I'd love a TT blue sub for example - as it as a little colour to any collection.

Maybe it is an age thing, I really don't know. I think it's more a personal feeling thing.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 13th March 2019 at 01:04.

Master

Not for me, in general. It tends to look like the owner wants a gold watch but can’t afford it. Go either steel, or gold, not both.
    However, I ignored my own general view in buying this, mainly because of a good price (reminder to myself, don;t be tempted mainly by price).....on the wrist it just looks like a gold dress watch. Still not sure though....

It looks good in sunshine, and replacing the steel bracelet with a leather strap toned it all down. In the specific case of the Rolex GMT, I don’t particularly like GMTs anyway....so it’s irrelevant to me. And, in the end, it’s still each to his own. Always is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th March 2019 at 05:33.

Re: why is it that two tone is out of fashion? Is it just fashion? is it that plain steel, or even plain gold, fit better as part of an outfit? or...is it that its just seen as blingy or worse...wanabe bling?

I am not sure what you are driving at here. Nothing to do with fashion. Don't even know what 'wannabe bling image' means. It is a matter of preference. Nothing to do with age or inability to afford solid gold. When done well, it can combine the strengths of both SS and Au. And vice versa.
    Younger people are less likely to wear a two tone just as they are less likely to wear solid gold.
    They have been around for years but it has never been a fashion. So, no questions of being out of fashion.

Craftsman
    I’ve been drawn to TT ever since I went to view a blue face Omega Aqua Terra but the store only had one that had rose gold markers and hands. Right away I felt it was better than the blue fascia. Fast forward to now where I’m on the list for a TT CHNR 126711

Master
    I like two tone!

Journeyman
    I think it is an age thing. A few years ago I would not have thought of two tone. Mid 40’s and now I am lusting after a two tone date just 41 with champagne dial. Love the look just worried about the risk of looking a bit Swiss Tony!

Master
    My first Rolex was a two tone datejust, polar dial, which I did love but eventually felt a little small to me so traded against a Cartier roadster. I then had a TT YM, again polar dial, wish I had kept that one.
    I now have only one TT watch, a Cartier chronoflex which has small sections of brushed gold in the bracelet and some gold bits on the case. The brushed gold is more subtle and I think it is quite an elegant dress watch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Well.....some might not like 'em, but a little TT loveliness in your life does no harm IMO

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well.....some might not like 'em, but a little TT loveliness in your life does no harm IMO

Proper class ,
    Whilst I don't have a TT currently I am rather taken by some Omegas from the past, particularly the titanium and gold Polaris.

n2
    Last edited by number2; 16th March 2019 at 18:44.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Why anyone (especially on a watch forum) would look at someone wearing a gold and steel Rolex or Cartier, and think that the wearer couldn’t afford a gold watch is beyond me.

My tastes have broadened a bit over the years and I now really like the contrast of the polished gold and steel. Rich medieval knights used to apply gold to their steel armour and weapons for the same reason, so the fashion, if it is one, is hardly new.

I do think that the TT Datejust/Jubilee works particularly well, and like just about anything, can look stunning on someone younger.

That isn’t me by the way, as anyone following the ‘Post an Image that Relates to the Previous One...’ thread will know. For the more ‘experienced’ members of the thread, it is the popular singer Bruno Mars (no ageism here Paul ;))

He can afford a gold one if he wants.

This is my one.

Perhaps this whole dislike of two tone watches may be an age thing in reverse. I guess if you grew up in your 20s and 30s in the 70s and 80s then there may be a bit of a thing with two tone watches being unpopular but I doubt too many people beyond those years could really care less. Some I like some I dont pretty much the same as any type of watch.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I do think that the TT Datejust/Jubilee works particularly well, and like just about anything, can look stunning on someone younger.
    This combo of two tone just always looks absolutely right. Less sure about other brands/renderings. Love the photo!

Master
    This is unfortunately not mine as it belongs to a work colleague but this beauty made me realise how nice TT’s can be.

Also they’re not as blingy in the metal as many would have you believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont mind some steel and rose TT but I do find steel and yellow gold a bit on the elderly side.
    Had a root beer once which was okay, but only with the bracelet removed to calm it down.

Master
    TT, especially the DJ, is so yuppie 80's style, so not for me.

Master
    I’m probably the odd one out.. I sold a watch that was going up in value, for one that lost money as soon as I walked out of the store...🤪🤪

Sold a watch that in reality was a bit to big and hardly got worn but was desirable

For a watch that I wear a lot.... many would ask why??... the answer is simple. Because I like it👍👍

Started to try on a few TT watches last year. Was originally going to go for a DJ with the new movement, but in the end went for this.

Craftsman
    Usually SS for me, but I rather like this one:

Master
    In an AD last Friday and got to try on a TT sub. I was enquiring about steel, the ad was kind enough to let me try the tt for sizing purposes... And he subtly tried to get me to consider spending the extra £4k! Tbh it didn't seem as gaudy as I'd thought it might. I'd probably like a root beer.... Tbh it's probably the pricing they puts me off as much as the aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I dont mind some steel and rose TT but I do find steel and yellow gold a bit on the elderly side.
    TBF I am pretty much an old man these days.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hah. Its no insult.
    I think its cos my dad has a YG TT DJ and he's mid 70s. He's had it since the mid 90s so I always associate it with a dad watch.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Hah. Its no insult.
    I think its cos my dad has a YG TT DJ and he's mid 70s. He's had it since the mid 90s so I always associate it with a dad watch.
    That’s OK verv, there is no mistaking when you are being insulting ;).

Mine came from my father-in-law so has those same associations; he was very much a father to me. I’m just pleasantly surprised how much I like it in its own right.

In the same way I like steel cased watches with gold numerals. Velorum started a very good thread on that a while back so I won’t hijack this one. Most of those are very traditional looking but still benefit from that gold/silver contrast.

Maybe it’s like golden sunshine on silver water, something like that, which makes it a natural contrast rather than a jarring one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Looking at MartynJC's root beer I find myself liking it much more than I would like many two tones....the rose gold has a subdued and 'vintage' hue which i like. Tudor S&G is perhaps making yellow gold more popular too. Its set me thinking, why is it that two tone is out of fashion? Is it just fashion? is it that plain steel, or even plain gold, fit better as part of an outfit? or...is it that its just seen as blingy or worse...wanabe bling? I stated thinking, if it is the wanabe bling image, could a steel and bronze tool watch look good?

JUst a few random thoughts, but what do others think? consign two tone to the sin bin of shame, or wear it and flaunt it, or...?
    The situation with TT 126711 is in the West Midlands, UK is a wait (no prior spending history) of between 1 and 3 years so as far as I see it, TT is very much in demand for SS sports models

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Started to try on a few TT watches last year. Was originally going to go for a DJ with the new movement, but in the end went for this.
    Great choice if I say so...am waiting for the call to collect my 126711 (between 1&3 years)

Grand Master
    Early 70s Constellation, centre links are solid 18ct gold, this model was near the top of Omega's range in the 70s and I`ll bet it was expensive! Bought this on ebay approx. 15 yrs ago for £90, all it needed was refinishing, servicing, new glass and crown t9o get it waterproof again. The brushed gold links do tone it down a bit, they were polished when it arrived and it looked a bit shiny! They also dod a solver dialled variant which looks nicer IMO.

This watch isn`t big, but the design works better on a larger wrist than mine.

Here's one I bought to sort out and sell on, then decided to keep. I refinished this when I was just learning how to do it, in hindsight I should've done the brushing a tad deeper because its now starting to look shiny and it really needs doing again. It's such a tedious process to refinish that I keep putting it off. Super stylish watch, modern Constellations don't feature often on this forum but they're certainly a unique style. This one's early 2000s, before everything started getting bigger, that was a great period for Omega in my opinion.

Here's a pic I took a couple of years ago, not the best photo but it shoes my bimetals nicely, taken before I refinished the 70s Constellation. The pre-Bond Seamaster's my daily beater, only quartz watch I own so it lives on the bench and I use it for timing. The Seamaster pro has now been swapped to a black dial, I changed it whilst servicing it and never got around to swapping it back. The Speedmaster's a rare one, a bit like a bimetal Daytona at a tenth of the price. Valjoux 7750 movement, needs a service too.

It's fair to say I`m a bimetal fan!

harris bank branch locations
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 19th March 2019 at 17:42.

Master
    I like the black and gold seamaster. The contrasts work well and the gold isn't too much. Not so keen on some of your others but thanks for sharing!

my Longines Admiral does look quite similar in design to Paul's Seamaster 200m, certain the pre-Bond Omega was released a couple of years before the Longines

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
    Mark

My first TT was the Blue Dial TT Submariner, I bought my first about 24 years ago, up until last May I had the Rolex GMTC 116713LN TT which I liked a lot but did ultimately sell it. Last week I added the 126711CHNR Root Beer GMT which is currently the favourite in the collection. I’ve never understood the negativity about TT watches although I’ve noticed the Root Beer GMT is appealing to folk who don’t normally like TT.

Master
    The perfect watch-pen combination.

Two tone in the sunshine:

There is a reason why two tone watches are so rarely in fashion: there isn’t one example of a TT watch looking better than the steel or gold equivalent.

Anyway, each to their own but they reek of all the negative associations that have already been listed in this thread.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    My first TT was the Blue Dial TT Submariner, I bought my first about 24 years ago, up until last May I had the Rolex GMTC 116713LN TT which I liked a lot but did ultimately sell it. Last week I added the 126711CHNR Root Beer GMT which is currently the favourite in the collection. I’ve never understood the negativity about TT watches although I’ve noticed the Root Beer GMT is appealing to folk who don’t normally like TT.

When I was collecting, a TT GMT was pretty high on my list for a period-they really look nice and it suits the ethos of the watch I feel-certainly more than other TT Pro watches.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    There is a reason why two tone watches are so rarely in fashion: there isn’t one example of a TT watch looking better than the steel or gold equivalent.

Anyway, each to their own but they reek of all the negative associations that have already been listed in this thread.
    I think there are people who don’t need a watch ‘to be in fashion’ to like it, they just buy what they like.
    Last edited by shalako; 20th March 2019 at 09:46.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    there isn’t one example of a TT watch looking better than the steel or gold equivalent
    Au contraire....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Au contraire....

Strange, thats one of the few I am not too fond of. I think Rolex do it best with the datejust in this example it reminds me a little of the 70s steel and gold plate watches and being a bit of a vintage collector those watches always seem to look the most tired with worn plating or dated designs. The Tudor black bay steel and gold is I think a very good example of when its done well (gold plating I mean)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I think there are people who don’t need a watch ‘to be in fashion’ to like it, they just buy what they like.
    +1......I couldn’t give a damn about fashion and I never read Hodinkee! I’ve been involved with watches for 25 years and I like what I like.

Master

1. How can you love an inanimate object?
    2. It's Two Tone, so wannabe yuppie 80"s

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    1. How can you love an inanimate object?
    2. It's Two Tone, so wannabe yuppie 80"s
    Frankly I don't love inanimate objects either, but a nice retro TT watch is not a bad thing.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.