closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shirts

Master
    I think the Tyrwhitt quality went down ages ago when they targeted the 3 for £75 market and that was long before Brexit. They are still ok but not as good and they don’t wash as well.

I only buy non iron shirts for the obvious reason. I used to get a lot from Orvis but the fabrics are very heavy for office wear and the quality is so good that they practically never wear out which can result in the wardrobe filling up with shirts.

Best solution for me is M&S non iron. Quality is good, they wash and hang well and about £25 each, get 4 or 5 at a time on line and chuck a few out. Better than spending £75 each and keeping them forever

Master
    I've got one in the wardrobe, made in England by Grosvenor, looks like it'll last forever

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m glad shirts wear out. Gives me an excuse to research some more. LL Bean are good too.

Journeyman
    It used to be Marks and Sparks all the way for me. Until a few years back when they made the bizarre decision to increase all the sleeve lengths by 1".

So for their 15 1/2" shirt, the sleeve, already plenty long enough at 34 1/2", was increased to 35 1/2".

By way of comparison the Thomas Pink regular length sleeve for the 15 1/2" Traveller shirt was just 34".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Gant for me.
    I only wear Gant shirts too, although I haven't been all that impressed with the last two I have bought (it seems that the fabric doesn't wick sweat as well as some of the older ones I have, which is not ideal as I walk to work). They fit well and seem to last about 45-50 wears/washes before tearing at the elbow (that's probably because I always roll up my sleeves and I have quite big arms). The Tech Prep fabric is awful - don't buy any shirts made with it.

I'm surprised to see how many CT fans are on here. I've bought one of their shirts a few years ago: it looked good in the store, but it truly was the worst shirt I've ever tried. There is absolutely no way I could wear one for the entire work day.

For years I bought only Gant or RM Williams as they were so well constructed, but both brands are now owned by either French or Italian fashion houses and both have gone down hill when it comes to durability.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I found those recently as well - proper Jermyn St shirts from before the rot set in. I realise that most of them have closed down but does this mean there are still some shirt factories in Northern Ireland?
    Bit of thread resurrection here, but I’m another who’s been buying CT shirts for 20 odd years and now looking for a change.
    Independently came across WH Taylor on the web and have given them a go with an order for a couple.
    Hope they live up to expectation as there’s nothing better than a box fresh good quality shirt!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWFH View Post
    It used to be Marks and Sparks all the way for me. Until a few years back when they made the bizarre decision to increase all the sleeve lengths by 1".

So for their 15 1/2" shirt, the sleeve, already plenty long enough at 34 1/2", was increased to 35 1/2".

By way of comparison the Thomas Pink regular length sleeve for the 15 1/2" Traveller shirt was just 34".
    This.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Perhaps they researched that M&S shoppers were all gibbons, those sleeve lengths are ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many others I've gone from TM Lewin to Thomas Pink, dropped down a level to Suit Supply made to measure and now I'm on CT Shirts for £20 each on offer.

Is there nowhere that does good quality shirts for £30-40 per shirt which is worth it? Seems like everything is either cheap or expensive with no middle ground. Personally wouldn't want to buy from M&S or Next. Can't see either working out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Like many others I've gone from TM Lewin to Thomas Pink, dropped down a level to Suit Supply made to measure and now I'm on CT Shirts for £20 each on offer.

Is there nowhere that does good quality shirts for £30-40 per shirt which is worth it? Seems like everything is either cheap or expensive with no middle ground. Personally wouldn't want to buy from M&S or Next. Can't see either working out for me.
    Why wouldn't M&S work for you?

Their top range shirts are excellent IMO (and sleeve lengths fine for me). Son buys Next but don't think quality (esp. fabric) is as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why wouldn't M&S work for you?

Their top range shirts are excellent IMO (and sleeve lengths fine for me). Son buys Next but don't think quality (esp. fabric) is as good.
    I have some of their casual shirts, business casual shirts and chinos, can't imagine the formal shirts would be 10x better. Will try next time I'm in but not a lot of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

I use the CT Shirts luxury line at that price point, they last longer and seem better quality.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    Bit of thread resurrection here, but I’m another who’s been buying CT shirts for 20 odd years and now looking for a change.
    Independently came across WH Taylor on the web and have given them a go with an order for a couple.
    Hope they live up to expectation as there’s nothing better than a box fresh good quality shirt!!
    Just had my first shirt from WHT delivered. Ordered a 17” collar ‘slim’ fit. Quality seems fine but nothing super special.

The fit was a slight surprise though, for a slim it’s too baggy around the waist and hip for me, although collar and chest are right.

I called them up and spoke to their customer service team to discuss. You get an initial free alteration so it’s going back to have the waist and hip measurements reduced by 2”. The guy I spoke to was very helpful.

I’ll update the thread once the shirt comes back (if I remember 🙄).