closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirts

Hybrid View

Craftsman

Shirts

I've always bought Charles Tyrwhitt shirts because I liked the fit, quality and the c£25 mark suited me just fine for work. I've recently noticed the quality has dropped though so was wondering whether anyone could recommend an alternative?

Master
    A friend of mine was remarking (with a little embarrassment) that he buys his work shirts from next, he can afford pretty much what he wants but he said they were hard to beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    SOme of the Jermyn st brands are just a rip off.

Lewin are absolute cr** - after 2 washes they are mush. Collars .......................Sigh!!

M&S are sh*** - they used to be good. Don't get me going on the others.

Main st stores are just low quality and that Quality just seems to have taken a dive recntly

I would dearly appreciate some recommendations.

I buy say 5 every 2 months.... most I just throw away

B
    Last edited by Brian; 12th March 2019 at 22:44.

Journeyman
    Get yourself to Slaters ?

Master
    Thomas Pink for me. But more expensive, but they can be had cheaper from outlets

Master
    Gant for me.

M&S Luxury French Cuff range are excellent.
    £45 each..or £60 for two.
    Great value.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Gant for me.
    I only wear Gant shirts too, although I haven't been all that impressed with the last two I have bought (it seems that the fabric doesn't wick sweat as well as some of the older ones I have, which is not ideal as I walk to work). They fit well and seem to last about 45-50 wears/washes before tearing at the elbow (that's probably because I always roll up my sleeves and I have quite big arms). The Tech Prep fabric is awful - don't buy any shirts made with it.

I'm surprised to see how many CT fans are on here. I've bought one of their shirts a few years ago: it looked good in the store, but it truly was the worst shirt I've ever tried. There is absolutely no way I could wear one for the entire work day.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Thomas Pink for me. But more expensive, but they can be had cheaper from outlets
    Thomas Pink relaunched the brand late in 2018, Gone more upmarket shirts now start at £130 and they closed all the outlets.

See they've not been mentioned, perhaps too downmarket, but Saville Row shirts by mail order are more than good enough for this lackie. I have tried a few others (Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt) but find SR quality and consistency on fit is spot on. No messing around with returns and they last.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Thomas Pink relaunched the brand late in 2018, Gone more upmarket shirts now start at £130 and they closed all the outlets.
    Didn’t know that, so glad I stocked up a while back :)
    I think I still have around 5 unopened along with 10 or more in ‘rotation’ (well, this is a watch forum)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I like the fit of Thomas Pink shirts but I really don't think the quality of them is very good. Their collars seem to wear through at an alarming rate and need replacing far more frequently than Charles Tyrwhitt.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I like the fit of Thomas Pink shirts but I really don't think the quality of them is very good. Their collars seem to wear through at an alarming rate and need replacing far more frequently than Charles Tyrwhitt.
    Have worn T. Pink shirts for twenty years and try to pick up the UK made ones in the outlet here in Kildare. However I believe all the outlets have now closed as LVMH didn't like the concept of them, I got 2 before they shut.

Am now reading this thread with interest, I have looked on the Budd website but prices are a special occasion only. Disappointed to hear the CT shirts are not as good as they used to be.

Master
    I had a few CT shirts and they didn’t last long - just seemed to wear through really quickly. Since then I’ve bought from M&S - think it’s their autograph range. Good quality, last well and the slim fit is good (for me). Mostly bought white ones and they do go a little off-white after a while.
    That’s about the right price for me as I’d rather buy and wear and then replace as opposed to trying to make them last for ages.
    But, always interested in other options, especially if there is a range of colours.

Imho, best bang for buck are Ralph Lauren shirts from tk maxx. They're £40-£50 in most cases and wear very well

They have more formal types as well as button down and casual types.

I used to buy Thomas pink. One season I bought every single colour of a linen shirt they had. Must say the shirt looked great when starched and ironed. Lots of compliments. But awful quality. Every single one ripped below the under arm. This was not because of poor fitting. They were just awful quality. I believe they were £89 full price and -30% in the sale.

I wanted to complain because of the consistency of the flaw but couldn't be bothered

I haven't been back since.

TM Lewin. Tried once. Never again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    Have worn T. Pink shirts for twenty years and try to pick up the UK made ones in the outlet here in Kildare. However I believe all the outlets have now closed as LVMH didn't like the concept of them, I got 2 before they shut.

Am now reading this thread with interest, I have looked on the Budd website but prices are a special occasion only. Disappointed to hear the CT shirts are not as good as they used to be.
    I used to buy Thomas Pink dress shirts years ago when they were made in Ireland but i thought they were all made in the far East these days??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I used to buy Thomas Pink dress shirts years ago when they were made in Ireland but i thought they were all made in the far East these days??
    Last two I bought were made in the Far East alright, The majority were all made in Ireland when they opened a shop in Dublin (Dawson Street) in the mid 90's, I still have one of the last irish made one's in sea island cotton but I would say that all stopped under LVMH control.

Had a look on the Budd website last night, still expensive but a lot less than Turnbull and Asser.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    I've always bought Charles Tyrwhitt shirts because I liked the fit, quality and the c£25 mark suited me just fine for work. I've recently noticed the quality has dropped though so was wondering whether anyone could recommend an alternative?
    Agreed, I've always got the double cuffs and they now seem to all split around the elbow?

Watching this thread with interest for suggestions.

Master
    I am, or shall I say was, a Charles Tyrwhitt fan and order about 6 a year, mainly casual ones now a days. I have noticed that the quality seems to be dropping and Charles Tyrwhitt did say in a FT interview that costs rocketed after the EU referendum and that he was struggling to maintain quality whilst selling at the mail order sweet spot of £25.00.

Nearly every shirt is on special offer for around £25.00 and I suspect that the moment the price hits £30.00, sales will go down. I think Tyrwhitt made the mistake of devaluing his brand by having a permanent sale going on all the time.

Uniqlo shirts are good quality and reasonably priced I have always found

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive got loads of shirts from the likes of T&A, N&L, H&K and although excellent they are expensive.

That said I have a few M&S Luxury range shirts and find them to be super quality, well made and excellent value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    Uniqlo shirts are good quality and reasonably priced I have always found

I would second this - their oxfords fit well and represent good value for money.

If I was forced to choosing out of CT, Lewin and Hawes and Curtis i’d Probably go for the latter.

I do have a few shirts from pink that have lasted around 4 years now and still hold up well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    Agreed, I've always got the double cuffs and they now seem to all split around the elbow?

Watching this thread with interest for suggestions.
    Same here. They also tweaked the shape of the slim fit so it’s not nearasdammit perfect on me either.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Started using Luxire and iTailor to get made to measure shirts as they cost no more and fit far better than the tat the High Street now churns out.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    Started using Luxire and iTailor to get made to measure shirts as they cost no more and fit far better than the tat the High Street now churns out.
    What's the quality like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    That sounds interesting, I'll take a look at that.

I do find the luxury range at CT Shirts better than the standard ones, they last longer, but agree the standard ones are not great.

M&S Luxury range are great. More upmarket try Turnbull & Asser or Harvie Hudson

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Eterna from their own website
    Excellent quality for £40-£50

Journeyman
    Interested to hear recommendations here. I'll be in need of an injection of shirts soon and I've used CT in recent years. I've not had any problems with their plain white, blue and pink shirts. The quality at TM Lewin seemed to drop sharply a few years back. I've also had Pink shirts, but never felt that the quality matched the extra cost.

Journeyman
    I normally buy my shirts from Brook Taverner. I think the quality has dropped a little in the last couple of years, but the shirts are holding up really well. The designs can be a bit suspect at times but like them for the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    I think the quality has dropped a little in the last couple of years..................
    Seems to be a theme on this thread and I quite agree......actually on most things (don't get me started on underwear!). I've had CT, Lewin and PINK shirts. I tend to find Pink lovely but just too pricey for everyday use. I find the TM Lewin Non-Iron range (not usually in the bulk-buy deals) are still of a good quality and they seem to last me for ages (can't understand what some of you are doing on your shirts to go through them in a few months??).

Master
    do some of the premium brands like Turnbull, harvie etc make their own or do they come out of a factory. I had some bespoke ones done by Johnathan Gill in Mcr but at £100 a pop I cant afford a cupboardful

Craftsman
    Anyone for Eton?

I’ve been wearing them daily for 10 years and they’re fantastic in terms of quality, comfort and longevity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Anyone for Eton?

I’ve been wearing them daily for 10 years and they’re fantastic in terms of quality, comfort and longevity.
    I've got one but only worn it a couple of times. One of my favourites is Polo Ralph Lauren.
    I must point out they aren't work shirts as my job is on a factory shop floor and we wear polo shirts with company logo

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RD200; 15th March 2019 at 14:36.

Being fairly close to York’s designer outlet I’ve tried loads of brands. My favourite shirts by a long way are Brooks Brothers, they wash well, keep their shape and are a great fit. They’re American sized so quite long which helps me at 6’1 and they’re about the only brand I can fit nicely into a medium.

Ralph Lauren shirts are good for a while but seem to shorten after a few washes.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Anyone for Eton?

They do look nice but at £100+ a pop a bit too rich for me

Every mine adidas t-shirt is smelly after 2hrs wearing...diesnt happens with other t-shirts
    Any recommendation for good budget quality t-shirt?

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hawes and Curtis for me - some stunning designs, particularly if you don’t wear a tie to work and like a high collar. Unfortunately, the Glasgow stores closed and I now need to travel to Edinburgh if I want to try them on. My wife also has some lovely shirts from here as well.

https://www.hawesandcurtis.co.uk

I'm buying Uniqlo Oxford shirts, and very impressive too. Can't go wrong for £19.90😁

Craftsman
    This thread motivated me to buy 4 more from Hawes and Curtis.

Using the code APPLE15 will get you 15% off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    This thread motivated me to buy 4 more from Hawes and Curtis.

Using the code APPLE15 will get you 15% off.
    Just bought 1 to try using this code and it worked a treat. Thanks!

good.. i have used promo codes for purchase any shirts and clothes its very helpful for me..

Thomas Reid
    Usually Bivolino for dress shirts and Craghoppers for casual shirts. Otherwise, M&S and the occasional impulse purchase elsewhere.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    I think the Tyrwhitt quality went down ages ago when they targeted the 3 for £75 market and that was long before Brexit. They are still ok but not as good and they don’t wash as well.

I only buy non iron shirts for the obvious reason. I used to get a lot from Orvis but the fabrics are very heavy for office wear and the quality is so good that they practically never wear out which can result in the wardrobe filling up with shirts.

Best solution for me is M&S non iron. Quality is good, they wash and hang well and about £25 each, get 4 or 5 at a time on line and chuck a few out. Better than spending £75 each and keeping them forever

Master
    I've got one in the wardrobe, made in England by Grosvenor, looks like it'll last forever

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m glad shirts wear out. Gives me an excuse to research some more. LL Bean are good too.

Journeyman
    It used to be Marks and Sparks all the way for me. Until a few years back when they made the bizarre decision to increase all the sleeve lengths by 1".

So for their 15 1/2" shirt, the sleeve, already plenty long enough at 34 1/2", was increased to 35 1/2".

By way of comparison the Thomas Pink regular length sleeve for the 15 1/2" Traveller shirt was just 34".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWFH View Post
    It used to be Marks and Sparks all the way for me. Until a few years back when they made the bizarre decision to increase all the sleeve lengths by 1".

So for their 15 1/2" shirt, the sleeve, already plenty long enough at 34 1/2", was increased to 35 1/2".

By way of comparison the Thomas Pink regular length sleeve for the 15 1/2" Traveller shirt was just 34".
    This.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.