closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Under floor heating settings?

Master

Under floor heating settings?

We've had wet under floor heating in our kitchen diner for about 6 years now, and apart from a couple of minor problems I've not had to touch it for a few years, so today i thought I would look inside the cabinet where the manifold etc lives, ( I know, i live an exciting life ), lol.
    Anyway, just want to check that all the settings seem right, flow temp is set at 50 degrees, pump speed is on 2, and the system pressure is just under 1 bar, should the pressure be slightly higher?

Is the pressure directly related to your boiler pressure ?

I'm literally about to change a pump on our UFH, four manifold system for a building, runs at 6 bar from memory, as this is the pressure for the closed water heating system.

Master
    Blog Entries
    1-1.5bar should be ok.

Master
    There is approx .5 bar difference between the boiler gauge and ufh manifold pressure gauge, I've just increased it slightly to see what happens, boiler is running 1.7 and manifold is reading 1.2 bar.
    I should add that the UFH is currently calling for heat so the boiler is running.

Master
    I’ve found ours to be more effective with the pump speed on 1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I’ve found ours to be more effective with the pump speed on 1
    When you say, "more effective", in what way, heats the floor up quicker?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    When you say, "more effective", in what way, heats the floor up quicker?
    Yes the room warms up faster because the water is moving slower has more time to dissapte heat into the floor is the way it was explained to me and it's made a noticeable difference.

Master
    I might try it, but the area we have is quite large, the furthest point away from the manifold is approx 12mtrs and we have 4 individual runs in the floor, all working off the same manifold though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I might try it, but the area we have is quite large, the furthest point away from the manifold is approx 12mtrs and we have 4 individual runs in the floor, all working off the same manifold though.
    The area I’m heating with mine is 50sqm so pretty large, it’s worth a try and see if it’s an improvement for you.
    it was for us made a noticeable difference in how fast the room warmed up. Doesn’t cost you anything to try .

Yes the room warms up faster because the water is moving slower has more time to dissapte heat into the floor is the way it was explained to me and it's made a noticeable difference.
    If the water’s the same temperature won’t make a difference how fast it’s moving.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If the water’s the same temperature won’t make a difference how fast it’s moving.
    The slower it’s moving the more time it has to transfer into the floor is the way it was explained to me I can only say there has been a noticeable difference in the time taken for the room to warm up.

The slower it’s moving the more time it has to transfer into the floor is the way it was explained to me I can only say there has been a noticeable difference in the time taken for the room to warm up.
    If it doesn't have time to transfer into the floor, more water will be along to do so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If it doesn't have time to transfer into the floor, more water will be along to do so.
    That was my theory too but I tried it on a lower setting for a week and noticed the difference so it’s stayed on speed 1, that’s all I can say really is it has made a noticeable difference and for the sake of pressing a button and seeing what happens for a week or so you can see the results for yourself as to whether it effects your system in the same way.

That was my theory too but I tried it on a lower setting for a week and noticed the difference so it’s stayed on speed 1, that’s all I can say really is it has made a noticeable difference and for the sake of pressing a button and seeing what happens for a week or so you can see the results for yourself as to whether it effects your system in the same way.
    I depends on what the speed settings on your pump equate to TBH.

Our manifold has 3 zones on it, each has an adjustable flow valve/meter so the flow can be regulated individually. In general terms, the larger the run of pipework under the floor, the bigger the flow rate needs to be.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I have 12 runs which covers about 180sqm. Pump on setting 3 and flow rate at 45 degs. I don’t seem to have a pressure reading dial at my manifold.

I have 4 zones with 8 runs feeding them (1 zone with 4, 1 with 2 etc), boiler set at 1.5bar and the manifold thermostat set at 42 deg C.. Can't see a pump speed on the pump, but it all seems fine at that.