closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Most fun for a grand.

Craftsman

Most fun for a grand.

I've been shifting a bunch of stuff on eBay to fund an Aerospace Advantage and I'm just about to hit a grand.

I've managed to find someone selling one without box and paper for my budget, but before I do, am I missing out on something more fun for £1000? I feel the Aerospace is hard to beat.

I'm a one watch guy for the last 2 years, just a Black Bay 41 on bracelet. The 41 x 11mm size suits me, and I love a bracelet, but I'm open to potential wild cards!

So what 2nd hand pickup would you aim your sights on?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post

I've managed to find someone selling one without box and paper for my budget, but before I do, am I missing out on something more fun for £1000?
    A weekend in Amsterdam?

There is one on SC for that money at the moment
    It hard to find a watch that does everything, looks good and is great value 2nd other than the Aerospace.
    I would seriously consider looking for one if I were in the market for an Ani Digi Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    A weekend in Amsterdam?
    I would head to Riga. Similar attractions but The beer is better...

Master
    Hamilton ventura?

Something from one of the whackier micro brands (Xeric perhaps)?

Neither is really a direct competitor to the Aerospace but they are certainly fun.

Master
    You might find one under budget...

Otherwise, an Aerospace is an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    You might find one under budget...

Otherwise, an Aerospace is an excellent choice.
    Perfect choice. :-)

SBBN037 and change - it’s calling my name at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    SBBN037 and change - it’s calling my name at the moment.

Tuna is a very good choice. Plenty of Nomos as the quality mechanical choice, but I’m not sure they are exactly “fun”. The Aerospace is excellent, and a lot of fun, if you can get one you like at £1000.

Bell & Ross 123 Geneva is classy, and you could probably get a steel BR03-92; now that’s a fun watch!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    but no weed here :(

Craftsman
    Thanks for the watch suggestions guys. If the Nomos ahoy on forum was a grand id be tempted, but I've heard they don't keep great time?

Regarding the motorcycle - I just sold mine unfortunately

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    There is more than Heineken...

Craftsman
    Thanks for the watch suggestions guys. If the Nomos ahoy on forum was a grand id be tempted, but I've heard they don't keep great time?

Regarding the motorcycle - I just sold mine unfortunately
    I’d buy the nomos for a grand too. If it was white I would be more interested in that one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I'd go for something Japanese and very accurate - the fact is that a watch with gadgets rarely gets use once you've played a bit - seconds a year accuracy just gets more smugly satisfying as the year passes.

Journeyman
    Picked up a Bell and Ross BR03 for around that price. Also a Sinn U1. Just about the lowest value watches I have.
    Wear them the most !

Master
    With a budget of a grand you've got access to a pretty much unlimited number of micro-brands, many of which would, imo, be more fun than nearly anything most well-known brands are offering.

I've been shifting a bunch of stuff on eBay to fund an Aerospace Advantage and I'm just about to hit a grand.

I've managed to find someone selling one without box and paper for my budget, but before I do, am I missing out on something more fun for £1000? I feel the Aerospace is hard to beat.

I'm a one watch guy for the last 2 years, just a Black Bay 41 on bracelet. The 41 x 11mm size suits me, and I love a bracelet, but I'm open to potential wild cards!

So what 2nd hand pickup would you aim your sights on?
    I think it’s a great choice. There aren’t many options from brands as well positioned, and models as well loved.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    There is more than Heineken...
    Yes, there's Amstel and Grolsch too!

The Aerospace (without the gold accents) is a great choice and something I have considered myself.

But the best fun for a grand, has to Johnathan Palmer Experience. A chance to drive cars like you stole them.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Yes, there's Amstel and Grolsch too!

And huge amounts of craft and Belgium beers.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    And huge amounts of craft and Belgium beers.
    I was joking, by naming the most common generic lagers. The stuff most Dutch don't drink. But, I do like the idea of a country where their Fosters, is fresh Heineken.

Not a craft fan, tried a few, they just came across as over priced hipster nonsense. The best i've found are local ones, please don't ask me names as I don't remember.

As for the Belgium stuff, nothing you can't get here in the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Personally I'd go for something Japanese and very accurate - the fact is that a watch with gadgets rarely gets use once you've played a bit - seconds a year accuracy just gets more smugly satisfying as the year passes.
    That’s a good shout, a used GS Quartz should be achievable and mine has outlasted many other cheap and cheerful options that end up not getting worn, while the GS does and is a pleasure every time.

Craftsman
    The BR03 is an interesting suggestion, it was one of the first watches I noticed. I've not seen many on SC tho?

The issue I have with a used GS Quartz, and I know this is gonna sound silly... I hate their logo with a passion!

Master
    The BR03 is an interesting suggestion, it was one of the first watches I noticed. I've not seen many on SC tho?

The issue I have with a used GS Quartz, and I know this is gonna sound silly... I hate their logo with a passion!
    That does't sound silly at all, there are several brands I avoid because I can't make peace with the design of the brand name. Anything that appears on the dial is quite significant in the end. I didn't start out with much love for either Seiko or the gothic scripted Grand Seiko, but was gradually won over and they came to represent some designs I really loved. But this could lead us off topic...

I'd also be thinking of a good vintage Omega dress watch on that budget and agree on Nomos too.

Craftsman
    Christopher Ward make some good watches, I had one in the early days. Oh my god are all their logos past and present horrible.

Master
    I was saving for a Breitling Aerospace but then stumbled upon a Casio MT-G for a similar price. Had to buy it and not a single regret, best pick me up and go watch I've ever owned.

For VFM the likes of the Casio Oceanus or Citizen PMD56 range are excellent...I also agree with the Casio MTG line..brilliant do it alls

Craftsman
    The Casio MT-G looks like a very capable watch, but I've had some of those ABC type watches in the past and found their build quality and "fussiness" off-putting. Most Breitlings are far too fussy, but the Casio MT-G makes them look like Braun designs lol

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Bell & Ross 123 Geneva is classy
    W-w-what???

I thought I was the only person west of La Chaux-de-Fonds to have even heard of the Geneva 😜

But yes, a huge amount of bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    and you could probably get a steel BR03-92; now that’s a fun watch!
    ^ definitely worth consideration; though not sure it would come in at three figures?

(and a used 123 Geneva seems to be £1200-1500!)
    Last edited by JGJG; 19th March 2019 at 10:23.