closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football pitch security..... what to do

Football pitch security..... what to do

So after three separate incidents since Friday it appears that the latest safety upsets are being looked at.

Is banning a “fan” for life enough?

Should the club hold some responsibility?

Criminal charges are a deterant to some I guess?

I think it’s moronic how these events have occurred, yet fear it could be replicated in other events if not nipped in the bud

Thoughts?

Craftsman
    Make the advertising boards give out an upward high voltage shock.

Anyone stepping over them, gets an electric shock to balls. Pretty sure this will stop it happening :)

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I'm not sure how this matter can be tackled. Clubs must and do bear some responsibility, however, if someone is more than determined to get on a pitch I'm sure they will find a way. Without employing an large amount of security staff around the perimeter of the pitch what could be done?. The more 'staff' employed on a game day will eventually push admission prices up. High fences wont work as they will obstruct vision. Banning offenders will work, but this is acting after the event. Its a tricky one that's for sure.

Stuart

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, the scrote who punched Grealish and was pleasingly remanded in custody until he appears at Birmingham Magistrates Court this morning should be sent to prison for between 6 and 12 months and I do NOT mean a suspended sentence!

Any PC limp-wristed ‘deprived childhood your worships’ lesser sentence will send out a very loud and very wrong message that this behaviour will not be punished appropriately by the courts.

This actions of this bottom-feeder has shamed Birmingham AND Football, as did the behaviour of the disgusting ‘fans’ who cheered him as he was being dragged off the pitch.
    Last edited by KavKav; 11th March 2019 at 11:03.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Banning offenders will work, but this is acting after the event.
    It will also have - to a degree - the effect of discouraging others.

Most stewards aren't really in a position to confront someone intent on invading. Would having six rather more athletic stewards, positioned around the pitch and charged with the sole task of chasing down any individual pitch invaders, be any use?

Craftsman
    Snipers.
    Or failing that just heavy sentences, we shouldn't have to put up fencing to stop morons from ruining things for everyone else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

In addition to any criminal charges under current legislation - for every ‘fan’ who invades the pitch......

Decrease the number through each club’s turnstiles by 1000 for their next matches.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    In addition to any criminal charges under current legislation - for every ‘fan’ who invades the pitch......

Decrease the number through each club’s turnstiles by 1000 for their next matches.

I'd suggest decreasing the number of fans attending the club's next game by all of them...

Next home match played behind closed doors. There were (apparently) thousands of fans cheering the thug as he was led off - punish the whole club.

Master
    Play the match in an empty stadium - no refunds to ticket holders. Any repeat offence, loss of any points so basically relegation but obviously this latter sanction would impact on finances and money talks.

Craftsman
    How about a moat around the pitch?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I'd suggest decreasing the number of fans attending the club's next game by all of them...

Next home match played behind closed doors. There were (apparently) thousands of fans cheering the thug as he was led off - punish the whole club.
    It's unclear whether they were cheering the idiot or the capture of the idiot. How would they convey the latter clearly? Perhaps they thought they were yet you have interpreted it differently and would therefore punish them. Bit unfair if so.

Master
    The only answer:

https://youtu.be/04clpd7h0b0

Craftsman
    Dogs with big teeth followed by a tasering.
    Football is the sport of the dregs of society played by the dregs of society with money.
    The only thing that will stop them is the fear of pain or harm, they don't think about having a criminal record or a soft slap on the wrist.
    It will only take a few to be badly bitten by a security dog and then to wet their pants in public after being tasered, difficult to play the big man then.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    It's unclear whether they were cheering the idiot or the capture of the idiot. How would they convey the latter clearly? Perhaps they thought they were yet you have interpreted it differently and would therefore punish them. Bit unfair if so.
    You may well be right (although there seems to be a lot of 'respect' for the thug online) but it would still be a great deterrent to anyone thinking about rushing onto the pitch in future. How hated are you going to be amongst the fanbase if you're the guy who stopped everyone watching their club?

The problem is that although the severity was different, if the 'crime' was entering the field of play then wouldn't they then have to issue the same punishment to Arsenal? Whilst I can see the FA coming down hard on Birmingham (just) I'm rather less optimistic about the Premiership doing the same to a 'big' club.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Football is the sport of the dregs of society played by the dregs of society with money.
    That's a bit harsh - plenty of football supporters on here.

There were a few incidents at football over the weekend but in reality they are as nothing compared to what goes on outside the grounds and in real life every day of the week.

I think football grounds are pretty well stewarded in general but any looney who wants to get on the pitch will.

Only consolation is he will be banned for life.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote from the BBC comments...

The problem isn't security at football grounds it's with the fan culture. I can't think of another global sport that still allows this tribal mentality to persist. NFL, Cricket, Rugby....why do football fans still need segregating? By modern standards they are still in the Dark ages. The people are the problem and it needs fixing.
    I agree, this just doesn't happen at other sporting events. Perhaps it's time to end the segregation of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

I agree, this just doesn't happen at other sporting events. Perhaps it's time to end the segregation of fans.
    Keen on bloodshed are you?

To be honest Chris it is the intense rivalry in football that gives it the huge following all over the world.

The others mentioned by the BBC; NFL, Cricket and Rugby are tiny minority sports in comparison.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That's a bit harsh - plenty of football supporters on here.

There were a few incidents at football over the weekend but in reality they are as nothing compared to what goes on outside the grounds and in real life every day of the week.

Absolutely. Found stat from 2017 that aggregate attendance at Premier League games in 2017 was 13.6 million. One incident of the kind we saw is too many but context is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Keen on bloodshed are you?

To be honest Chris it is the intense rivalry in football that gives it the huge following all over the world.

The others mentioned by the BBC; NFL, Cricket and Rugby are tiny minority sports in comparison.
    Well MMA seems to be getting more popular, and turning the cameras in the direction of the crowd might liven up a nil-nil borefest.

But honestly if fans can't go and watch a sporting event without trying to hurt each other, should they really be allowed out in public? Rivalry is no excuse, opposing fans can work alongside each other, be family, friends even. Buy when they get into a crowd, mob mentality kicks in and some act like morons. If the mob mentality is broken up that behaviour won't escalate so often.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    You may well be right (although there seems to be a lot of 'respect' for the thug online) but it would still be a great deterrent to anyone thinking about rushing onto the pitch in future. How hated are you going to be amongst the fanbase if you're the guy who stopped everyone watching their club?

The problem is that although the severity was different, if the 'crime' was entering the field of play then wouldn't they then have to issue the same punishment to Arsenal? Whilst I can see the FA coming down hard on Birmingham (just) I'm rather less optimistic about the Premiership doing the same to a 'big' club.
    There will always be idiots that recognise and congratulate other idiot behaviour but they are very much in the minority. However, the guy that did this probably (stupidly) thought he would be idolised by all Birmingham City fans and would not even stop to consider he could be hated by the very same so, how would it work as a deterrent? There's little any of the other fans could do to stop him and to be fair, it's not their responsibility ultimately. The stewards are the ones that are (supposedly) trained to deal with such situations and also there to spot such nutters.

Regarding your point about the consistency of imposing sanctions for this kind of offence, I'd wager that all clubs would be treated the same. It's very hard to stop anyone suddenly jumping over the hoardings to enter the field of play if they're stupid enough to do so and therefore, how harshly should a club be treated if that's all the offence is? It's when there is an element of malice that the authorities should act more harshly.

Such trouble in any of the other sports mentioned never existed so it's not as though they've had to deal with a tribal mentality in the first place. Football is a lot better than it used to be though - families are far better catered for, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Football is the sport of the dregs of society......
    Quite the charmer.

Grand Master
    The hostile tribalism associated with football seems to be a unique thing. I’ve been to a few matches at Leeds, Huddersfield and Barnsley over the years, never seen any bad incidents but the prevailing atmosphere of hostility isn’t pleasant. I’m not saying other sports don’t have problems, I’ve watched Rugby League for many years and there have been crowd problems on occassion, but generally speaking there isn’t the atmosphere of menace that you get at football matches.

Segregation has been introduced at most Rugby League grounds, but often fans of both sides end up together and generally there are no problems. There’s always been an element of self-policing in Rugby crowds, peer group pressure from the majority tended to nip any problems in the bid effectively.

Fans going on th pitch to confront players is virtually unknown at Rugby matches, probably due to the somewhat robust nature of most participants! the odd over-excuberant celebration occurs, but any fans going on the pitch are ‘asked’ to leave by the stewards who are relatively few in number.

At the risk of over-generalising, bad behaviour by so- called fans seems to predominantly be a football problem.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th March 2019 at 15:53.

Craftsman
    But honestly if fans can't go and watch a sporting event without trying to hurt each other, should they really be allowed out in public? Rivalry is no excuse, opposing fans can work alongside each other, be family, friends even. Buy when they get into a crowd, mob mentality kicks in and some act like morons. If the mob mentality is broken up that behaviour won't escalate so often.
    It is an association football problem, passions and rivalry are even greater in Rugby Union but you don't get the mob mentality. in Rugby Union there is a lot of banter, but the fans of the opposing teams can sit together, nobody is going to stab anybody or beat somebody's brains in.

Master
    How about a no fan zone at the front of the terracing, more stewards(that are physically fit) so a better chance of grabbing any moron making for the pitch, no drunks allowed in, or ultimately fence them in.

Rugby union fan here and alcohol and rival fans can mix as proved over hundreds? of games played in a weekend, only once had a little bother when a rival fan was asked to mind his language due having children with me(so did he btw), he proceeded to prod me and swear more frequently and loudler, lasted 5 minutes before a steward sent him on his way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    How about a no fan zone at the front of the terracing, more stewards(that are physically fit) so a better chance of grabbing any moron making for the pitch, no drunks allowed in, or ultimately fence them in.
    Drinking is a very large part of the culture as per rugby but they already have rules that forbid people that are drunk. I've seen plenty of people being turned away from turnstiles due to intoxication.

The Birmingham incident is unusual, plenty of idiots manage to find their way into the pitch, attacking a player isn't the norm.

I'd ban any fans from sitting on the first 5 rows for the rest of the season. It'll hurt the club a little, be a decent deterrent to other fans.

Although I'm not sure an idiot like that will pay attention to any rational deterrent.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Drinking is a very large part of the culture as per rugby but they already have rules that forbid people that are drunk. I've seen plenty of people being turned away from turnstiles due to intoxication.
    An "academic" on the radio earlier said that the behaviour and conduct were consistent with cocaine use. Never tried it so can't comment.
    Last edited by David_D; 11th March 2019 at 18:10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    An "academic" on the radio earlier said that the behaviour and conduct were consistent with cocaine use. Never tried it so can't comment.
    A very non-academic Alan Brazil said the exact same thing this morning on Talksport.

Master
    Nothing, it might toughen the precious luvvies up a bit.

Master
    A very non-academic Alan Brazil said the exact same thing this morning on Talksport.
    Maybe he knows more from a non-academic perspective ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    In my opinion, the scrote who punched Grealish and was pleasingly remanded in custody until he appears at Birmingham Magistrates Court this morning should be sent to prison for between 6 and 12 months and I do NOT mean a suspended sentence!

Any PC limp-wristed ‘deprived childhood your worships’ lesser sentence will send out a very loud and very wrong message that this behaviour will not be punished appropriately by the courts.

This actions of this bottom-feeder has shamed Birmingham AND Football, as did the behaviour of the disgusting ‘fans’ who cheered him as he was being dragged off the pitch.
    So this rubbish got 16 weeks imprisonment which is entirely inadequate but better than nothing. 16 weeks less remission is quite long enough for the other cons to express their views on this matter and good luck with that one and good luck with picking the soap up you deadbeat Merchant Banker!
    Last edited by KavKav; 11th March 2019 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by domwells View Post
    Snipers.
    I like you.
    You're a thinking person.
    Hollow point I presume?

Master
    I think the 16 weeks is about right.

He did a totally stupid thing and attacking from behind was cowardly and blowing kisses to the crowd showed a look at me element.

However after a day in remand, he has shown remorse, apologised to everyone and evidently his parents have had to leave the family home due to threats and reprisals.

He will not have a pleasant time in clink and although he will only serve 8 weeks, it will seem a very long and horrible time living with the scum of the earth who are convicts.

On top of that, his career prospects will have nose dived, so yes the 16 week sentence is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    ...it will seem a very long and horrible time living with the scum of the earth who are convicts.
    As a Villa supporter I'm trying to resist the urge to make a joke here...

Equally, from a more neutral perspective, I think he's a disgrace to his club and its supporters. The club may well end up docked points (on top of the points they'll likely be docked for FFP misdemeanours, something Villa were very close to had new owners not appeared in the summer) and/or have to play behind closed doors for a few matches (again, something I think the FA has to do, they have to come down on hard on clubs and encourage fans to self-police), all because of a mindless idiot who thinks he's being clever. Bearing in mind how well they're doing in the league it's going to be a very bitter blow.

I see some kid who posted stuff on social media about Grealish's brother, who died when he was four, has also received a lifetime ban from the club and the police are investigating. The steward who laid into Grealish and Hourihane (and possibly also a police woman) when the former scored and they jumped into the away end was led away by the police. I can't see him keeping his job either.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    As a Villa supporter I'm trying to resist the urge to make a joke here...

Equally, from a more neutral perspective, I think he's a disgrace to his club and its supporters. The club may well end up docked points (on top of the points they'll likely be docked for FFP misdemeanours, something Villa were very close to had new owners not appeared in the summer) and/or have to play behind closed doors for a few matches (again, something I think the FA has to do, they have to come down on hard on clubs and encourage fans to self-police), all because of a mindless idiot who thinks he's being clever. Bearing in mind how well they're doing in the league it's going to be a very bitter blow.

I see some kid who posted stuff on social media about Grealish's brother, who died when he was four, has also received a lifetime ban from the club and the police are investigating. The steward who laid into Grealish and Hourihane (and possibly also a police woman) when the former scored and they jumped into the away end was led away by the police. I can't see him keeping his job either.
    I know you're Villa and therefore you probably despise the blue club of Birmingham but, what do you actually expect other fans to do about the idiot? If you're standing in row 8 (or whatever) and a guy walks past you toward the aisle, your first thought is probably that they're going to get refreshments or visit the loo. If he gets to the aisle and then runs full pelt down the stairs and over the barrier between stewards, what in all seriousness could you have expected anyone to do and why therefore, would you punish them for failing to live up to unrealistic expectations by banning them from a later game? Equally, the club, save from having a solid ring of stewards facing inward from the barriers, can do little to prevent such occurrences. I maintain that the only possible way to deter people from doing it in the first place is by making the sentencing as harsh as possible for the individual. Six or twelve months in clink and a lifetime ban from all grounds might make them think twice but you don't punish all the good fans or the club for his drunken or drugged-up ill-judgements.

Master
    Can't help but feel it's a minor overreaction... which is unsurprising in the current climate.

As someone on Twitter (I think) pointed out, something like 340,000 people went to league football matches this weekend. The number of incidents like this calculated up to something like 0.000064% of attendees. One idiot in a game of tens of thousands ran on the pitch, was widely mocked for his stupidity by fans on all sides, was sentenced the following day (!) to weeks in jail for it.

Let's just move on, and punish people who do this appropriately.

Unfair IMO to greatly punish the club. Not much they can do and imagine security/precautions at Birmingham similar to elsewhere.
    A custodial sentence (as given) will make others think twice.

I know you're Villa and therefore you probably despise the blue club of Birmingham but, what do you actually expect other fans to do about the idiot? If you're standing in row 8 (or whatever) and a guy walks past you toward the aisle, your first thought is probably that they're going to get refreshments or visit the loo. If he gets to the aisle and then runs full pelt down the stairs and over the barrier between stewards, what in all seriousness could you have expected anyone to do and why therefore, would you punish them for failing to live up to unrealistic expectations by banning them from a later game? Equally, the club, save from having a solid ring of stewards facing inward from the barriers, can do little to prevent such occurrences. I maintain that the only possible way to deter people from doing it in the first place is by making the sentencing as harsh as possible for the individual. Six or twelve months in clink and a lifetime ban from all grounds might make them think twice but you don't punish all the good fans or the club for his drunken or drugged-up ill-judgements.
    Do you think he did this entirely on his own without telling anyone or any encouragement? Do you think any people in the crowd applauded what he did? I think punishing the club is exactly what the FA is going to do because they're going to make an example of both fan and club. They've stuck this idiot in the clink, now they're going to concentrate on the club. According to the government, in the 2017-2018 season the club with the highest number of supporters arrested in the top four leagues in England and Wales was... Birmingham City, with 95 arrests. 72% were at home games. Villa supporters were no angels either, in fifth place (behind Sheffield United, Sunderland and Portsmouth), with 48 arrests, of which 33% were at home matches. Birmingham City are in joint fifth place for banning orders too (as of 2017-2018 season) with 50. Yes, unfortunately I think the rest of City's supporters will be punished for the actions of a very small few but it does suggest the club has a bigger problem with violence than most of the other 92 or whatever it is in the four leagues.

And yes, I think there should be more stewards, especially at the bottom of aisles. There's been a suggestion that this time round Villa didn't provide their own stewards for the away stand, which would be somewhere to start if the two clubs are in the same league next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unfair IMO to greatly punish the club. Not much they can do and imagine security/precautions at Birmingham similar to elsewhere.
    A custodial sentence (as given) will make others think twice.
    Why unfair? I stopped going to football in the late 70's for 5 years because of the violence. Birmingham City was one of the most violent grounds back then. Millwall being by far the worst, Leeds and West Ham were not far behind. Unfortunately Birmingham should be made an example of.
    I can't believe that this supporter is not know for his views, no doubt those around him have tolerated his out bursts and language.
    We've had idiots at my club (Southend) over the years, but if someone over steps the mark usually we (as supporters) step in.
    A game or two behind closed doors may make others think twice? Stamp it out now or we go back to fences and nets and we all know where that leads!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Why unfair? I stopped going to football in the late 70's for 5 years because of the violence. Birmingham City was one of the most violent grounds back then. Millwall being by far the worst, Leeds and West Ham were not far behind. Unfortunately Birmingham should be made an example of.
    I can't believe that this supporter is not know for his views, no doubt those around him have tolerated his out bursts and language.
    We've had idiots at my club (Southend) over the years, but if someone over steps the mark usually we (as supporters) step in.
    A game or two behind closed doors may make others think twice? Stamp it out now or we go back to fences and nets and we all know where that leads!
    Unfair because practically nothing they can do and probably doing the same as other clubs. Just down to luck and a supporter could go rogue at any ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unfair because practically nothing they can do and probably doing the same as other clubs. Just down to luck and a supporter could go rogue at any ground.
    And if it happens elsewhere it should be stamped down on there too. If some idiot had done that at Villa Park I'd support action against the fan and the club for allowing it to happen.

I would be amazed if the majority of City's and Villa's arrests, banning orders and public disorder offences didn't happen at derby matches (actually, last season didn't they start one of the derby matches at 5:30 or whatever, for Sky reasons? I bet over five hours of extra alcohol helped massively...). The police and clubs are going to have to look at how they can make some effective changes before next time.

If I go to another event - a concert, horse race or whatever and commit such a crime is the venue held liable?

Why are football clubs liable for the action of spectators?

I was reading something about the 14-week sentence and how it was at the top end of what the magistrate could have given. There's a suggestion it was made more serious than it probably was (most people don't go to jail for a relatively light punch like that) because they need to make an example of him and deter anyone else from doing it and because they might have been concerns about public disorder if he hadn't been given a custodial sentence. Football clubs and supporters, especially in the same city, especially with such fierce rivalry, are a lot different to people going to a gig to see someone they want to see or a horse race, aren't they?

Besides, after he was hit a lot of people in the crowd were booing Grealish whenever he touched the ball. Classy, eh? Do you get half the people at a gig booing the band and having to be kept away from the other half of the people there? Or do people at horse races boo half the horses and jockeys on the course and have to be kept away from the other 50% of the spectators?

Blog Entries
    Do you think he did this entirely on his own without telling anyone or any encouragement? Do you think any people in the crowd applauded what he did? I think punishing the club is exactly what the FA is going to do because they're going to make an example of both fan and club. They've stuck this idiot in the clink, now they're going to concentrate on the club. According to the government, in the 2017-2018 season the club with the highest number of supporters arrested in the top four leagues in England and Wales was... Birmingham City, with 95 arrests. 72% were at home games. Villa supporters were no angels either, in fifth place (behind Sheffield United, Sunderland and Portsmouth), with 48 arrests, of which 33% were at home matches. Birmingham City are in joint fifth place for banning orders too (as of 2017-2018 season) with 50. Yes, unfortunately I think the rest of City's supporters will be punished for the actions of a very small few but it does suggest the club has a bigger problem with violence than most of the other 92 or whatever it is in the four leagues.

And yes, I think there should be more stewards, especially at the bottom of aisles. There's been a suggestion that this time round Villa didn't provide their own stewards for the away stand, which would be somewhere to start if the two clubs are in the same league next season.
    I have no idea whether he did it on his own or whether he had told others he was going to do it. However, what do you expect others to do about it if they knew? Beyond saying 'don't do it' which is easily ignored by an imbecile, you're on a sticky wicket in this day and age to try and physically restrain them and to be fair, that would be an unreasonable expectation of a fellow spectator. With regards to the cheering from the Birmingham fans when he was restrained by the stewards, each fan possibly had their own motivation for doing so - some may have cheered because he was restrained, others because they support the plonker but personally, I'd guess the majority fell into the former camp. Pitch invasion mid-match has only happened on a handful of occasions over the last twenty years at the Chelsea matches I've been to (over 800 matches) but, every single time it has happened, everyone around me has been unanimous in their disapproval, some perhaps with a laugh in their voice but the offenders are always referred to as 'idiots' or worse.

Anyone can run onto a pitch at any time, you can't legislate for idiots.

It's not the fault of the club but the individual.

A lot of hand wringing and people saying something must be done but I can't honestly see what can be done to prevent that rare occasion when this sort of thing happens.

I remember a match in the '90's when we were playing Sheffield United and at half time a Sheffield supporter ran onto the pitch with a 99p football, dribbled to the goal and scored. A great roar went up all around the ground as the perpetrator dived into the Sheffield end to freedom!

Lightened up an end of season boring game no end.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

I have no idea whether he did it on his own or whether he had told others he was going to do it. However, what do you expect others to do about it if they knew? Beyond saying 'don't do it' which is easily ignored by an imbecile, you're on a sticky wicket in this day and age to try and physically restrain them and to be fair, that would be an unreasonable expectation of a fellow spectator. With regards to the cheering from the Birmingham fans when he was restrained by the stewards, each fan possibly had their own motivation for doing so - some may have cheered because he was restrained, others because they support the plonker but personally, I'd guess the majority fell into the former camp. Pitch invasion mid-match has only happened on a handful of occasions over the last twenty years at the Chelsea matches I've been to (over 800 matches) but, every single time it has happened, everyone around me has been unanimous in their disapproval, some perhaps with a laugh in their voice but the offenders are always referred to as 'idiots' or worse.
    I was replying to someone else. If I was talking about doing something like this with a bunch of mates then you'd think a jail sentence and the club getting into trouble might encourage them to encourage me not to but I appreciate the kind of knuckle dragger who'd do this probably has knuckle draggers for friends and there's nowt they'll be able to do about it. Ultimately the club is responsible for the safety of the players on the pitch and they failed, and that's why the club (and all its fans) will undoubtably be punished.

And presumably you're replying to someone else about the cheering when the twat was restrained by the players and one puffing steward and then led off the pitch.

Blog Entries
    I was replying to someone else. If I was talking about doing something like this with a bunch of mates then you'd think a jail sentence and the club getting into trouble might encourage them to encourage me not to but I appreciate the kind of knuckle dragger who'd do this probably has knuckle draggers for friends and there's nowt they'll be able to do about it. Ultimately the club is responsible for the safety of the players on the pitch and they failed, and that's why the club (and all its fans) will undoubtably be punished.

And presumably you're replying to someone else about the cheering when the twat was restrained by the players and one puffing steward and then led off the pitch.
    Sorry, I thought you'd been replying to me in post 37 where you quoted me.

Sorry, I thought you'd been replying to me in post 37 where you quoted me.
    Nope, my mistake, sorry, I was replying to you.

Blog Entries
    Nope, my mistake, sorry, I was replying to you.
    LOL - nice to meet you

LOL - nice to meet you
    Who are you? What's going on?

I'm not quite at retirement age yet, but...

What to do?

1. Accept that the vast majority attending matches cause no trouble.

2. Accept that a 40k crowd has approx. 800 stewards; many of them will be nowhere near pitchside or even have a view of the pitch or spectator areas.

3. Accept that pitch invasions have occurred for the past 150+ years & are therefore unstoppable.

4. Accept that players being assaulted by fans on the pitch is very, very rare. (I know, even one assault is unacceptable.)

5. Accept that common & criminal law has means of dealing with these miscreants.

6. Accept that clubs have means of dealing with these individuals.

7. Accept that the individual(s) involved generally don't have 'malice aforethought': they're pissed & get carried away by the febrile atmosphere.

8. Accept that the clubs don't want heavy-handed stewarding. They want their customers to have a pleasant experience.

The above doesn't excuse what happened in three high-profile matches last weekend. What happened needs to be viewed with a bit of perspective.
    Last edited by jwg663; 12th March 2019 at 15:56.
    ______

​Jim.