closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed - hardtail, softail or cyclocross?

Master

Help needed - hardtail, softail or cyclocross?

I've been a keen road cyclist for 30 odd years but know the square root of chuff all about off-road bikes.

I'd like to get something that I can use on footpaths, towpaths, gravel tracks, decent forest/logging paths etc. i.e. decent, albeit not metalled, surfaces. I'm not intending to do anything remotely difficult, nothing involving jumping tree roots, boulders, breaking my neck going downhill i.e. nothing that would ever require any sort of protection. Pootling through alpine meadows enjoying the smell of freshly laid cowpats is more what I have in mind. So, to all you experts out there, what should be my main considerations when choosing something (budget c. 1k)?

Would a hybrid be sufficient?
    Is there any point getting a mountain bike?
    I'm not looking to go especially fast so is there any point not getting a mountain bike (since it would offer greater flexibility)?
    If a mountain bike, is there any need for a softail or, again, is there any point not getting a softail since I presume it offers more comfort/flexibility?

All thoughts and bike suggestions greatly appreciated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gravel bike?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Gravel bike?

I have to agree that this could be an option for you, I would be seriously tempted by something like this if I was you:- https://whyte.bike/collections/grave...ture-gx-series

Master
    Plus 1 for Gravel bikes, I ride a Genesis (UK company) Croix de fer . Mines a Titanium but the range starts at below your budget see here

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/genes...y-blue-x-small

After 30 years as a road cyclist a mountain bike will feel like a tractor, the 2.3 inch tyres are very draggy on the road leading to the gravel paths / offroad

Gravel bikes have road sized 700 wheels and 35 mm tyres, brilliant to transition you from road to fire tracks.
    Last edited by higham5; 10th March 2019 at 20:47.

Master
    Thanks - the gravel bikes dod look interesting. Having drop bars would be a big plus for me.

Journeyman
    No brainer Gravel bike for sure , let us know what you choose and when u get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The Genesis looks a possibility, though I'd need to find it in my size (I'm 1.89m). I always hear Boardmans are very good VFM. Would anyone recommend the ADV8.9?

Master
    I have had a boardman CX bike a while and it’s been good, but I would, as a cheaper option to whyte, consider a Sonder https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-alloy

I recently moved from road to off-road cycling. My Villiers is still being held to ransom by a bonkers ex so I decided to get myself something totally different whilst the court system sorts itself out. I looked at a wide range of bikes and plumped for a Voodoo Bizango 29er 1x drivetrain beast of a bike. I didn’t see the point in selecting something that was just a little different to my road bike and the Bizango has not failed to bring a smile to my face. I completed a 30mile jaunt yesterday, much of it on slipways or promenade but also a lot of it on shingle beach and chalky lumpy tracks. Exhilarating and lung bursting stuff! Particularly with stiff headwind. Anything less than the chunky tyres on the bike and I would have had to cycle on the road. Don’t discount a hardtail and don’t forget that it isn’t impossible to have a couple of sets of wheels for gravel tracks and bumpier stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    The Genesis looks a possibility, though I'd need to find it in my size (I'm 1.89m). I always hear Boardmans are very good VFM. Would anyone recommend the ADV8.9?
    I have a Boardman CX. It's been modded a fair bit but that's testimony to the quality of the frame itself that warrants the upgrades. I love mine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cannondale topstone

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Cannondale topstone
    Beat me to the punch there. Great option!

To the OP I think a gravel/CX bike would be best with the preference for drop bars though don’t discount a nice light race hardtail.

As mentioned before the big tyres on a MTB are like driving a tractor, especially if you come from the road, but if you put on some lighter/faster tyres (say 1.9) you’ll still move along pretty quick with some better handling and comfort which is nice especially if you’re covering a few miles and fatigue starts to kick in.

Something to consider is the terrain/surfaces you have locally. While I love the gravel concept and have the occasional offroad blast on my CX commute bike, my local terrain (dry, loose, rocky) is really not great for extended trips on CX and my rigid 29er is a lot more forgiving and enjoyable to ride.

Best thing would be to find a few demos and try out some options if possible.

Happy shopping and keep us posted as to what you buy.