closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 2254.50 Pricing

Omega 2254.50 Pricing

Hi All, I’m searching for one of these and I’m looking for some guidance from those better informed. I know prices have gone up but what’s a reasonable price to pay for a mint condition full set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think now for a mint full set you would be upwards of £2000

Master
    Good luck with the hunt , luckily they are relatively plentiful.
    I’ve just got the watch minus the papers but will never part with it and I am a serial flipper.

Grand Master
    I think you’ll find a good one for less than £2000. As ever, my advice is to focus on the watch itself and forget the full set thing. Look very carefully at the condition of the case and bezel, poor refinishing can ruin them.

Bracelets can wear quite badly too, and replacements aren’t cheap.

Buy a poor example and it’ll cost a lot to get right, that’s scant consolation for having the original box and guarantee cards in my book.

Craftsman
    Sharp full sets with a fairly recent service are in the region of £2.2-2.3k I’d say, but the quality and price of them does vary quite a bit.

I’ve had mine from new and wouldn’t part with it. Great watches and worth seeking a nice one. Good luck with the hunt.

Thanks all. Yeah, I don’t mind the full set so much. But they aren’t that old so I don’t think finding a full set should be too much of an issue.

From my research I was thinking around £1800 - £2000 for a minter. But seems it may be a bit more than that.

Master
    I sold a pretty good, full set example with the two official rubber straps for £1750 I think (could have been 1850) - around November last year, here on SC..it was due for a service but the insert and case were quite good but not mint.. It did not hang around too long...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Thanks all. Yeah, I don’t mind the full set so much. But they aren’t that old so I don’t think finding a full set should be too much of an issue.

From my research I was thinking around £1800 - £2000 for a minter. But seems it may be a bit more than that.

You aren’t going to find anything close to described as mint for less than 2k, but you could find a perfectly decent wearable watch from £1500 - how much an unmarked case, unmarked bezel, sapphire, crowns etc. and recent service is worth to you will decide what you are willing to pay.

They are a great watch, and I wouldn’t be without one. Personally, I’d buy the cleanest/nicest example I could - but then I already have that one, bought new and worn around 3 times :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Seems like a bit of a lottery with these watches if your buying online ! There must be 50 listed on eBay and echoing what others have said, from £1500 upwards and some will have been daily wearers for 10 years - some hardly worn...
    Love these watches, the speed master style bracelets are very solid and comfortable.

Master
    It is most likely that a 'minter' will still have its box and papers intact. As you are really looking for a watch that has been rarely worn it is highly unlikely that the box and cards have been chucked out, so the 'full set' should come with the territory. I would agree that such a 2254.50 would be north of £2k. A true classic.

Omega 2254.50 Pricing

I don’t mind minor signs of wear. I intend on wearing it myself in rotation. Buying online does appears to be a bit of a lottery. Ideally I’d find one from this forum so I’m happy to wait unless the right watch at the right price comes up elsewhere.

Journeyman
    would the 2255.80 the blue version of it have the same value?

Omega 2254.50 Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    would the 2255.80 the blue version of it have the same value?
    No

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    No

sorry, can you be more specific? generally worth less i assume? much of a margin?

Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    sorry, can you be more specific? generally worth less i assume? much of a margin?
    Around 30% difference at least. It doesn’t have the same cult status. Personally I’ve owned both and liked them equally the same

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Around 30% difference at least. It doesn’t have the same cult status. Personally I’ve owned both and liked them equally the same

thats mad. i bought mine new, i had a choice between the black and blue, and chose the blue, i thought it just popped more. id probably still pick the blue, its not as if im ever going to sell it anyway. maybe the black is more classy, and the blue is a bit rock n roll.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    It is most likely that a 'minter' will still have its box and papers intact. As you are really looking for a watch that has been rarely worn it is highly unlikely that the box and cards have been chucked out, so the 'full set' should come with the territory. I would agree that such a 2254.50 would be north of £2k. A true classic.
    Lets not forget that it's over 10 years since this watch went out of production, and the number of genuine 'mint' examples out there is relatively few. Most have been worn tyo a greater or lesser extent, trying to find one that's had a very gentle life in mint original condition isn`t easy thesedays.

Provided the case hasn`t taken any really hard knocks, they can be refinished to look like new again. Bezels can be replaced, and so can bracelets if they're bad enough. A watch that's been correctly refinished, with a new bezel, may be a better proposition rather than trying to find the mythical mint example. I`ve refinished several of these in the past and replaced bezels, they restore very nicely provided the case hasn`t been knocked around too much.

Beware of bezels that have had their edges rounded by refinishing, I`ve seen watches fresh from Omega service that had this problem. Once the bezel's taken a few hard knocks it has to be replaced to look absolutely fresh again, but a lightly scratched one can be refinished correctly.

Even though I`m not really a dive watch fan I regret selling mine a few years ago.

Craftsman
    Good to hear they are going up in value :) it may just be me, but the one thing that almost put me off this watch and did so for quite some time, was the bezel number font, just looks a bit naff compared to the rest of the watch. fortunately the rest of the watch is superb :)

Master
    I think there may be some wishful thinking or talking up going on in here. The days of the £2,200 2254.50 aren't quite here yet, that is 2201.50 territory. I would suggest £1,750 will still buy you a very decent 2254

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Lets not forget that it's over 10 years since this watch went out of production, and the number of genuine 'mint' examples out there is relatively few. Most have been worn tyo a greater or lesser extent, trying to find one that's had a very gentle life in mint original condition isn`t easy thesedays.

Provided the case hasn`t taken any really hard knocks, they can be refinished to look like new again. Bezels can be replaced, and so can bracelets if they're bad enough. A watch that's been correctly refinished, with a new bezel, may be a better proposition rather than trying to find the mythical mint example. I`ve refinished several of these in the past and replaced bezels, they restore very nicely provided the case hasn`t been knocked around too much.

Beware of bezels that have had their edges rounded by refinishing, I`ve seen watches fresh from Omega service that had this problem. Once the bezel's taken a few hard knocks it has to be replaced to look absolutely fresh again, but a lightly scratched one can be refinished correctly.

Even though I`m not really a dive watch fan I regret selling mine a few years ago.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Most of the ones I see on sale on Chrono24 or eBay definitely have knackered bezels that have been rounded off due to polishing. The prices don’t reflect that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I think there may be some wishful thinking or talking up going on in here. The days of the £2,200 2254.50 aren't quite here yet, that is 2201.50 territory. I would suggest £1,750 will still buy you a very decent 2254
    As you sometimes tend to do, possibly purposefully, you are missing the point and being a of a. Of course you can buy for X £. The suggestion was for a mint example.

A new bezel with insert is how much? A recent service is how much. You can stick your means nothing "very decent" example definition so far up your.... But it doesn't bring it up to the definition of mint or close to mint. So... I don't think there is any talking up. You can buy a 2254 from anywhere around +- £1500 to £2500 - somewhere in between those figures will get you the right watch for you if you agree on the market and take your time. Some worn example are fetching too high prices because of the demand for the model - as some buyers aren't as clued up on bracelet/bezel/crown etc. Damage/marks or the current cost to replace or repair them. The price I paid for mine new possibly wouldn't cover a full service, crown, and replacement bezel. Otherwise pay top dollar and save a like time. Personally, I'd wait did the right watch.

There are a lot of people that would prefer the 2254 to the Planet Ocean too! So it's not a case of oh you could almost but a whatever other watch for that - who cares, we are not talking about a 2201.50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    As you sometimes tend to do, possibly purposefully, you are missing the point and being a of a. Of course you can buy for X £. The suggestion was for a mint example.

A new bezel with insert is how much? A recent service is how much. You can stick your means nothing "very decent" example definition so far up your.... But it doesn't bring it up to the definition of mint or close to mint. So... I don't think there is any talking up. You can buy a 2254 from anywhere around +- £1500 to £2500 - somewhere in between those figures will get you the right watch for you if you agree on the market and take your time. Some worn example are fetching too high prices because of the demand for the model - as some buyers aren't as clued up on bracelet/bezel/crown etc. Damage/marks or the current cost to replace or repair them. The price I paid for mine new possibly wouldn't cover a full service, crown, and replacement bezel. Otherwise pay top dollar and save a like time. Personally, I'd wait did the right watch.

There are a lot of people that would prefer the 2254 to the Planet Ocean too! So it's not a case of oh you could almost but a whatever other watch for that - who cares, we are not talking about a 2201.50.
    Had a drink have we? I’ll return to this when it isn’t the middle of the night and address your less rabid points properly but this strikes me as a rant full of barely contained insults and anger. Save it for the bear pit.
    Last edited by Padders; 12th March 2019 at 07:30.

Had a drink have we? I’ll return to this when it isn’t the middle of the night and address your less rabid points properly but this strikes me as a rant full of barely contained insults and anger. Save it for the bear pit.
    No alcohol for me - it was the middle of the afternoon for me. It just pisses me off a little when people don’t appear to read the posts they are apparently referring to. Some people seem to do it more often than others.

I simply disagree, quite strongly, with all your points apart from “that is 2201.50 territory” and “£1750 will still buy a very decent 2254”

but then I may have confused your user name with another members, and allowed myself to get overly annoyed ;)
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 12th March 2019 at 11:49.

Master
    As this is just down the road from me i was tempted to go and have a look.

New bezel and full set...may need a service and would need to check the bracelet for wear etc.

So an offer of £1800 would probably get you this.

However nice these watches are i don't think the high prices are justified as the latest 42mm seamaster sold on here (sold for £2600) and IMHO a better watch all round.Horses for courses etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sea...sAAOSwEo1cbbhb

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    As this is just down the road from me i was tempted to go and have a look.

New bezel and full set...may need a service and would need to check the bracelet for wear etc.

So an offer of £1800 would probably get you this.

However nice these watches are i don't think the high prices are justified as the latest 42mm seamaster sold on here (sold for £2600) and IMHO a better watch all round.Horses for courses etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sea...sAAOSwEo1cbbhb
    Looks quite nice with a new bezel and maybe worth a closer inspection.

Some older models don’t look great value when compared to more modern models, but that’s hardly the point. Just look at older Speedmasters, or Submariners - no one bats an eyelid when they are changing hands for more than the current watches RRP, but when a classic model Watch is selling for £600 less than the reduced used price of a current model (or £1600, and in reality the majority are changing hands at nearly half the price of the current models RRP) - I don’t see it as too bad value, it’s just market forces at play, and I’m sure some others would prefer the 2254 to the current update, I know I do.

Grand Master
    I have a 'Black Bond' co-axial, circa 2011, and I toyed with the idea of swapping the dial, hands and bezel to create a 2254 lookalike. I had all the parts at one point, and I could've swapped it back to original appearance without difficulty. However, I ended up using the handset on a job and now they're hard to source, so that project never flew. Not sure it was a great idea, in the meantime I`ve lost interest in divers somewhat, but the 2254 remains a favourite. I prefer it on a Bond bracelet, and I think this option was available at some point. I recall buying a new Bond bracelet from Cousins in 2008 or 2009 for around £220, that's what mine had on and I swapped it back when I sold it. I think I sold the Bond bracelet for around £150 after I sold the watch (which was virtually mint, and 2 years old) for a tad under £1000!

How times have changed, and not for the better. Spiralling prices and restrictions on parts supply have taken much of the fun out of it, I was far happier when a 2254 could be had for under a grand, replacement bezels were £185 from Cousins, and bracelets were around £300.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

How times have changed, and not for the better. Spiralling prices and restrictions on parts supply have taken much of the fun out of it, I was far happier when a 2254 could be had for under a grand, replacement bezels were £185 from Cousins, and bracelets were around £300.
    Oh the good ol days ;) I’m happy I bought mine new for under a grand, just after they had been discontinued.

Master
    No alcohol for me - it was the middle of the afternoon for me. It just pisses me off a little when people don’t appear to read the posts they are apparently referring to. Some people seem to do it more often than others.

I simply disagree, quite strongly, with all your points apart from “that is 2201.50 territory” and “£1750 will still buy a very decent 2254”

but then I may have confused your user name with another members, and allowed myself to get overly annoyed ;)
    Well if you have confused me with someone else, then feel free to apologise since I think you were bang out of order. What exactly were my other points with which you disagreed so strongly that you saw fit to form a baseless ad-hominem attack? Have we some history that I have forgotten about that means we need to resort to playground point scoring? I don't think I missed the point of the thread at all. The title is 'Omega 2254.50 pricing'. It seems to me I addressed it pretty directly. I have never seen a 2254 sell for over £2k either here or on Omegaforums so I am not sure where all this certainty is that their prices have rocketed. Yes ebay sellers ask the earth but then this watch no different from everything else on there.
    Last edited by Padders; 12th March 2019 at 12:43.

Master
    Oh the good ol days ;) I’m happy I bought mine new for under a grand, just after they had been discontinued.
    Me too. I bought mine for £895 from Watchfinder in 2008 a year after they were discontinued, box, papers, the lot. It's a 2007 model, one of the last ones I think...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Me too. I bought mine for £895 from Watchfinder in 2008 a year after they were discontinued, box, papers, the lot. It's a 2007 model, one of the last ones I think...
    That's funny ^^ 'cos the one I had was sold brand new in 2009..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    That's funny ^^ 'cos the one I had was sold brand new in 2009..
    It might have been new in 2009 but when was it made? I thought they were discontinued in 2008. Mine was a 1 year old, made in 2007 & I was sure they weren't available new after that. Does anyone know the year of discontinuation (if that's even a word)? I'm intrigued to know if I've been wrong all this time.

Master
    not sure of date but it had the red hologram (?) on the back and some other marking that escapes me now..

as an example for the OP - here is link to my sales ad;
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=omega+2254.50

Bought from AD, November 2004 for £936. Last couple of years it's been on the OEM rubber strap. Never found bracelet very comfortable with no micro adjustment. Happened to buy a 1/2 link from watchfinder ebay a few weeks ago to see if can get a better fit.

A great watch but does have it's flaws.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I sold a very nice condition full set, but quartz variant, on here for £1350 - if that’s any guide. Only light wear on it, and serviced just over a year ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Bought from AD, November 2004 for £936. Last couple of years it's been on the OEM rubber strap. Never found bracelet very comfortable with no micro adjustment. Happened to buy a 1/2 link from watchfinder ebay a few weeks ago to see if can get a better fit.

A great watch but does have it's flaws.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That's the 98000085 strap that the Regent Street OB assured me last week would definitely not be suitable for my 2254 as it was shaped to fit the case of the Planet Ocean...

Well if you have confused me with someone else, then feel free to apologise since I think you were bang out of order. What exactly were my other points with which you disagreed so strongly that you saw fit to form a baseless ad-hominem attack? Have we some history that I have forgotten about that means we need to resort to playground point scoring? I don't think I missed the point of the thread at all. The title is 'Omega 2254.50 pricing'. It seems to me I addressed it pretty directly. I have never seen a 2254 sell for over £2k either here or on Omegaforums so I am not sure where all this certainty is that their prices have rocketed. Yes ebay sellers ask the earth but then this watch no different from everything else on there.
    If you felt insulted, then I apologise to you for my choice of words regardless. However, please note you are the one adding “had a drink have we” throwing around “ad hominem” accusations, “playground point scoring” etc.

I am not taking the discussion off topic in any way. You are adding your views of pricing from two enthusiast forums where prices are generally somewhere between trade and private sales, and well below retail and most certainly are not representative of the wider market place. You have your opinion and I have mine. If you feel that someone can pick up a mint example for around £1750 (although you havent used the word mint - the posts before yours did) good luck to them, imho it would be sensible to budget £2+ for one or settle for a lesser example.

I don’t believe we have any history, in fact I don’t think I have any history with any current members. I’m happy for open debate, and even heated argumentative debate.

Have a a good day/evening.

Master
    If you felt insulted, then I apologise to you for my choice of words regardless. However, please note you are the one adding “had a drink have we” throwing around “ad hominem” accusations, “playground point scoring” etc.

I am not taking the discussion off topic in any way. You are adding your views of pricing from two enthusiast forums where prices are generally somewhere between trade and private sales, and well below retail and most certainly are not representative of the wider market place. You have your opinion and I have mine. If you feel that someone can pick up a mint example for around £1750 (although you havent used the word mint - the posts before yours did) good luck to them, imho it would be sensible to budget £2+ for one or settle for a lesser example.

I don’t believe we have any history, in fact I don’t think I have any history with any current members. I’m happy for open debate, and even heated argumentative debate.

Have a a good day/evening.
    Accepted. Debate is never a problem, I did take issue with being told to shove something up my proverbial for expressing an opinion but I will let it lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    That's the 98000085 strap that the Regent Street OB assured me last week would definitely not be suitable for my 2254 as it was shaped to fit the case of the Planet Ocean...
    Two different references. One for the PO and one for the 2254/2264.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Accepted. Debate is never a problem, I did take issue with being told to shove something up my proverbial for expressing an opinion but I will let it lie.
    It was my attempt at a Pulp Fiction watch analogy.

I am sorry if it/I upset you. I can be quite outspoken but very rarely wish to cause any offence.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Two different references. One for the PO and one for the 2254/2264.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I did not know that. Any chance you can tell me the part number for the 2254?
    Mucho Thanko.

Hi Speedy,

I had trouble tracking down the right strap and buckle. As usual with this forum, some members were extremely helpful. Hope this link helps-
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ng-info-please

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Hi Speedy,

I had trouble tracking down the right strap and buckle. As usual with this forum, some members were extremely helpful. Hope this link helps-
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ng-info-please
    Thanks very much Mylofitz. I'll have a good look at this tomorrow & maybe make some calls.