closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: *Update* Asking price for a 90's Klein Adroit Race mountainbike

Blog Entries

*Update* Asking price for a 90's Klein Adroit Race mountainbike

I have too many bikes in the garage. One of them is gathering dust. A Klein Adroit Race from the 90s. My youngest goes out on his Specialized, simply because he became too tall for the Klein. And I'm happy with my Cannondale. So gathering dust, it is. Selling? Yes. But, what to ask for it...

I want to sell it over here in The Netherlands. Selling and shipping it to the UK must be too intricate and to expensive. This is not some sort of 'hidden sales post'. Simply a question what my asking price should be, when I start advertising.

Here we go:

Klein Adroit Race - somewhere from the mid 90s(?)
    Size: from crank to the top of the seat tubing = 53cm
    Colour: haze from dark green to violet
    Gears: Shimano XT
    Brakes: Magura
    Seat post: carbon
    Fork: Manitou.

I have more pics, just a few here.

Please educate me on:
    - a fair price (what I've seen goes from high to low),
    - what you need for good pics / additional pics.
    - ... (everything I forgot to mention)

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 27th March 2019 at 17:34.

Retrobike.co.uk would be the best place to visit and ask. Nice bunch who will give you an honest appraisal.
    I've never got the "klein" thing" myself, but I know some of models an be worth something, especially ones with certain paint jobs.
    Pity the original drive-train is not on it...that is turn of the century stuff. So bike could be later that mid 90s if the rear mech & cranks are OEM.

Master
    The groupset is from around 1999/2000 and I'd say the frame is too so maybe £300?

Trek bought Klein in 1995 and it's the pre-Trek ones that fetch the big money. Early 90's Adroit and you'd be looking at 2k for the frame and matching fork.

I raced a Klein Pulse pro back in the 90s ,great bikes and if it’s pre Trek than you have something relatively valuable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    I raced a Klein Pulse pro back in the 90s ,great bikes and if it’s pre Trek than you have something relatively valuable.
    But how to determine that?

I would have thought there would be a frame number stamped somewhere, that's where I'd start.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Ask the same questions at the Retrobike forum! It's a good place, or used to be when I was last there, years ago! Dynam0humm's assessment of about £300 feels in the right area, give or take £100. But then Retrobike will tell you if it's a rare fram, or a rare colour, etc.

There's always eBay, although there's very little there for Adroit, even in the completed listings section...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Pre Trek they had 1 1/4" head tubes, a hangar for the cantilever rear brake and press fit bottom bracket bearings necessitating a square taper BB spindle. Yours is definitely a later one.

In the early 90's Klein were horrifically expensive with the Adroit the range topper. When Trek bought them out they did away with signature things like the one piece bar and stem and rigid Strata fork, loaded them with cheaper components and tried knocking them out by the lorry load. But in doing that they destroyed what Klein were all about - low volume, beautifully made, exquisitely painted and uncompromising designs. They instantly lost everything that made them desirable bar a few fancy paint schemes and Trek let the brand fade away.

Here's one of the last pre Trek Adroit's for comparison - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...p?f=2&t=394732

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Pre Trek they had 1 1/4" head tubes, a hangar for the cantilever rear brake and press fit bottom bracket bearings necessitating a square taper BB spindle. Yours is definitely a later one.

In the early 90's Klein were horrifically expensive with the Adroit the range topper. When Trek bought them out they did away with signature things like the one piece bar and stem and rigid Strata fork, loaded them with cheaper components and tried knocking them out by the lorry load. But in doing that they destroyed what Klein were all about - low volume, beautifully made, exquisitely painted and uncompromising designs. They instantly lost everything that made them desirable bar a few fancy paint schemes and Trek let the brand fade away.

Here's one of the last pre Trek Adroit's for comparison - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...p?f=2&t=394732

Thanks for that! Obviously not what I wanted to read ("... definitely a later one.") But it's fair and square information. I'll start with 400 euros on a national auction site. Let's see what happens

Menno.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Ask the same questions at the Retrobike forum! It's a good place, or used to be when I was last there, years ago! Dynam0humm's assessment of about £300 feels in the right area, give or take £100. But then Retrobike will tell you if it's a rare fram, or a rare colour, etc.

There's always eBay, although there's very little there for Adroit, even in the completed listings section...
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ The guys on Retrobike really know their stuff. In their time the Klein Adroit & Attitude were a quick bikes. I notice the Maguras have quick releases a £20 upgrade on the day.

What's the black bit by the front wheel ? is it a cover you have removed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ The guys on Retrobike really know their stuff. In their time the Klein Adroit & Attitude were a quick bikes. I notice the Maguras have quick releases a £20 upgrade on the day.

What's the black bit by the front wheel ? is it a cover you have removed.
    No that's a part of a Laser sailboat joystick that fell out off a bag I only noticed that after I'd taken the pic. I took it again without the black thingy (knowing that someone would ask about it...). But I've uploaded the first pic here. (i need new glasses for my specs)

Menno

Blog Entries

*Update: sold*

The asking-prices suggested here were correct. I managed to sell the bike for 410 euro on a Dutch auction site.

Thanks for the input guys!

Menno

I had a Klein Attitude back in the day. Always hankered after an Adroit.
    I paid a fortune, sold it for peanuts, and no doubt wort a chunk again now.

Was a pre Trek, had the big, fat head tube with MC2 bars/head set.
    Were all in stunning fade paintwork colour schemes... this mine was a sunburst.