closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Career Path

Craftsman

New Career Path

Looking for some inspiration.
    If you had 3 months to start a completely different career path to what you already do, what would you do and how would you go about doing it?
    I am currently in a situation where I can spend the next few months starting a brand new career path. With a bit of savings I can enrol in courses to gain qualifications and research and gain experience to aid in starting my new venture.
    Just to reiterate, I would like to know what you would do, not what you think I should do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rule number one,
    I would do something that interests me, I'd focus less on the money because I'd 'work to live, not live to work'.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I’d get into food. It’s hard work, but can be very rewarding.

I grew up in a catering background, but my parents then diversified into property and a holiday letting company. It was the catering that started them off though. From the age of 12 I worked in their business in the holidays and that gave me a work ethic. I went into finance and property at 23 and 25 years on am still in it but to a lesser extent.

All around where I live in North Devon (just like everywhere) you see cafes and sandwich shops. Very run of the mill. Among them you see the odd really amazing cafe or sandwich shop. You know the ones that do great coffee, tasty doorstop sandwiches, homemade cakes, high teas etc.

If I had 3 months to retrain I’d go on courses, learn how to bake and cook good homemade food. I’d personalise my shop with a funky theme - maybe bygone film stars, 50’s rock and roll, shabby chic, who knows. I’d make it different to all the others. Great personal service with excellent food and it’s a winner. Catering certainly is t for everyone, but done well, it’s very rewarding both financially and personal satisfaction.

Master
    Gigolo, now sadly too old, fat and bald to make a go of it, but I'd still like to try the training courses.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Gigolo, now sadly too old, fat and bald to make a go of it, but I'd still like to try the training courses.
    Trouble is that your training course instructors are also old and fat, good looking women don't need gigolos.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Depends on how old I was. Right now in my early 30's three months wouldn't get me in much of a different direction than I am now. I might use the time to do courses which help me get the next position but for me to change careers completely I'd need a time machine going back 7-10 years at least.

For context I was made redundant just before Christmas and used my own three months to get a better job with better long term career prospects at a ftse 100 company instead of a cash strapped but cool start up. It was a good opportunity to reflect on what I wanted from a role and an employer and what staying there 5+ years would mean for my career.

I start my new job tomorrow. Good luck with yours.

Master
    I’ve done all sorts but honestly I love salvage and collectibles and stuff.. I fancy myself as a wheeler and dealer of the unusual. That’s my dream go to and I don’t need training for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    What do you “do” at present ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DA56 View Post
    What do you “do” at present ?
    I recently left a management role within printing. It was a fast paced production environment and although I enjoyed my 8 years there, it was time to leave.
    I am now looking to do something completely different.
    I am a retained Firefighter, I do the odd job for a stunt safety company and I am currently going though the process off gaining my class 2 hgv licence. So pretty all over the place.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Keep them coming.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    An enviable position to be in. I think you'll need to decide what you want to get out of your new career (more money, better work/life balance, adventure, different challenges etc) before deciding what to do.

I never wanted to be stuck behind a desk but I am so if I were in your position I would be looking for something less desk bound. I enjoy making things so would consider something more creative would be in order. Coupled with a bit of wildlife photography on the side.

The hard part would be finding something that would pay enough to keep the family housed and fed with enough to spare for the odd watch.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Blog Entries
    If I had to work I'd either like to train as a chef if it had to be employed or self employed become an antiques dealer. I'd love learning about all those antiques, furniture, ceramics, clocks, militaria you name it I'd like to deal in it. Bound to make mistakes along the way but it really would have interested me.
    Probably not much help to you I'm afraid!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Rule number one,
    I would do something that interests me, I'd focus less on the money because I'd 'work to live, not live to work'.

n2
    This 100 times over.

I chased cash early on & didn’t focus on what I loved. Always been envious of those that do what they love, regardless of what the earn; they’ve got their priorities right & look forward to work.

I also wasn’t all that successful at chasing cash either lol, but when you’re best friend from Uni is a stupidly successful banker, it’s a tough benchmark. He also loves what he does, damn him....although has zero life apart from Saturdays!

Blog Entries
    I did it: started teaching (special needs education - behavioural disorder), changed to co-owning a communication firm, changed to owning a classic car shop and now... retired and well, I'm back teaching two mornings/week: learning Dutch to refugee children *) and trying to keep the shop running as well.

*) Some of those kids have stories to tell you don't want to hear, tbh. Or, at least, when you hear them, they bring tears to your eyes.

Agriculture, far too few people do it and there’s nothing like doing something with your hands, maybe even abroad.

I like doing a few things so I run a tech company in London as well as a coffee plantation in India, love my time on the plantation, if I had to choose one it would be the Coffee hands down.

Unless I already knew what I wanted to do, I would take advantage of a few career interest tests available:

https://careerwise.minnstate.edu/careers/clusterSurvey

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/tests/career/career-

https://workinterestwizard.com/?gcli...R1cvHQtFBmUO49

You can also Google career testing to find more. There are VERY many out there, so look for quality sources.

After taking at least three of these 'tests,' I would try to decide on the best career path for ME. Then I would research the education, training, certifications and experience required to succeed in this career.

My game plan would essentially be laid out for me.

I wish I knew what I wanted to do!

I have been trying to work out the answer to that question for decades and still have no idea. It certainly isn't what I do now.

It is always a pleasure when I speak with people who are genuinely passionate about the career path they want to follow/the work they do. I just wish I could feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Unless I already knew what I wanted to do, I would take advantage of a few career interest tests available:

https://careerwise.minnstate.edu/careers/clusterSurvey
    Oh dear.

I have just done this test and the career suggestion at the top of their list is what I do now......

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Oh dear.

I have just done this test and the career suggestion at the top of their list is what I do now......
    Same here

I changed a few years ago - Personal Risk Elimination Technician. Great hours and lots of travel. I even offer special rates to TZ members - ten grand up front and ten grand on completion (no women, no kids). If anyone's interested send first payment by Paypal friends and family to simonk@banquepriveegeneve.ch and I'll be in touch.

With 3 months, my priority would be some self indulgent travel.

This would help clear the mind and gain a bit of objectivity on making plans.

I changed career direction in my late 30s and the whole process was hugely enjoyable and fulfilling. Now in my early 50s Im focusing on what to do over the next 20 years. Not a change, other than to look closely at how I am working and how I can improve the working environment, clientele, pace - Im thinking about taking a month off to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I changed a few years ago - Personal Risk Elimination Technician. Great hours and lots of travel. I even offer special rates to TZ members - ten grand up front and ten grand on completion (no women, no kids). If anyone's interested send first payment by Paypal friends and family to simonk@banquepriveegeneve.ch and I'll be in touch.
    You work for Pret?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    You work for Pret?
    Love their Tuna flat bread -).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd go and work at the aisle of Wight zoo.
    Genuinely.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing.
    As soon as I get my bonus at the end of the month, hand in my notice and retrain to be a bike mechanic.... there's 'f' all money in it but I'm in the fortunate position where the opportunity cost makes sense.

It's bloody scary having been in a (largely) gainful employment for other people for 20 odd years to start thinking about setting up my own company and working for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'd go and work at the aisle of Wight zoo.
    Genuinely.
    ...or as the official masseur for the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team.

I'd have liked to study architecture, but not that fussed by the long training nor the job reality of designing an extension for a warehouse. If you could go straight to the top at Hadid or Foster & Partners and sketch skyscrapers for a living I'd be up for a change of career.

Other than that, maybe the guy who applies sun tan lotion to super models when they do those beach photo shoots, I could do that.

Something in the aviation industry, not sure what. Would be very keen on training and air accident investigation.

Master
    I wish I knew what I wanted to do!

I have been trying to work out the answer to that question for decades and still have no idea. It certainly isn't what I do now.

It is always a pleasure when I speak with people who are genuinely passionate about the career path they want to follow/the work they do. I just wish I could feel the same.
    I'm the same, still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I'd better better get a shuffle on though as I'm in to my forties.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    No coincidence that, like all good PRE technicians you have a pad in Paris. And is your pricing structure based on the value of the next watch on your wish list?

Apprentice
    I think you need to take a piece of paper, set aside all of your outside thoughts, and write a shortlist of work areas in which you would like to become an expert. In three months, you can come to a definite choice of your future path. When I was choosing a job as a heating systems designer, it took me no more than a week to make my decision. Maybe this option will work for you, too. You can click here if you are looking for hvac schools. My job pays well because there is always a demand for my services. Think about it.
    Last edited by fisher2; 11th January 2022 at 14:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher2 View Post
    Can you elaborate on what kind of work you might be interested in? Do you like to make things with your hands or do you like to communicate with people?
    I think his three months were up almost three years ago…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think his three months were up almost three years ago…

Oh dear.

Bugger, that is clever, same fo me too.

I knew what I wanted to do from age 13, but now I am in my late forties I am sick and tired of it (Surveyor/Designers/Project Manager). I would like to do something outdoors with nature and less responsibility or maybe something with wildlife/animals. I have even thought about health, fitness and nutrition too. As others have said if you can work doing a hobby or something you love you have cracked it.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Rule number one,

n2
    this ! - welding is good too

i got the fuck out of engineering at 50 - now under paid and over worked and relocated and downsized (housewise) - no kids, no mortgage, same wife (cant win 'em all). best laugh ever - the whole regular merry go round is a load of bollocks (unless you like that sort of thing) - fight the power !

get on with it ! there is no life 2.0 - pass the gin