closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: omega insisting on 'like new' servicing?

Master

omega insisting on 'like new' servicing?

There are loads of threads on Rolex servicing and their insistence on polishing case or changing dials/hands at times, but i hadn't heard of Omega doing it until today. I was in my local indy briefly (to see if My SMP service was done) when another customer came in to collect his Seamaster. It had had water ingress and he said he'd originally got it off to Omega pretty swiftly as he didn't want to wreck the movement. The refused to service it unless they could replace the dial ...at another £750 IIRC! At the time the dial was totally fine.....although it was in the indy as later the lume crystals had fallen out the batons...oops. Still, my indy glued them back and charged A LOT less than Omega wanted for dial.

I hadn't realised Omega played these silly games too, who else does?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like they were right to want to replace the dial? This sort of thing only really matters if they are going to swap out a perfectly aged Tritium dial, hands or whatever and wipe a load of value off a vintage watch IMO.

Surely it’s better than taking your money and offering no guarantee. Insistence on it being replaced is because it may cause an issue further down the line. Though I think you are mistaking Rolex rendering a vintage watch worthless with replacing parts which devalue. I think a new dial on a seamaster will increase value arguably. Also 750 sounds like service, dial, hands any rusty movement parts full polish case and bracelet. Should come with a 2 year warranty as well same as the sales warranty when first purchased. Congrats, you have a like new seamaster for 750!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My impression is that Omega will generally attempt to bring a watch back to modern standards of WR. Therefore they may well replace the Plexi , crown and if a Chrono the pushers. The dial might have been replaced if they were worried maybe about rusting ?!? All replaced parts are returned. My -71 Speedie went through this and then the wonderful Simon Freese put all the old parts back again (where working). The case work that Omega did was second to none so no complaints.
    I think the big concern would be if they binned the parts but they know of course that the vintage back story is one of their key strengths so I can’t see them mucking about with that.

Master
    I can only go on what the guy said but he reported Omega wanted £750 EXTRA for the dial....but maybe he was mistaken. While I agree, it seems they were right/knew or feared later problems showing up in the dial, it seems poor that they wouldn't offer a choice, service the mechanism but no guarantee due to unknown risk. I guess I can understand why they didn't, but its a shame they weren't able to give the customer the choice

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I can only go on what the guy said but he reported Omega wanted £750 EXTRA for the dial....but maybe he was mistaken. While I agree, it seems they were right/knew or feared later problems showing up in the dial, it seems poor that they wouldn't offer a choice, service the mechanism but no guarantee due to unknown risk. I guess I can understand why they didn't, but its a shame they weren't able to give the customer the choice
    I guess from their side they have a standard they have set themselves for work carried out.

Imagine they'd serviced that watch under stipulation with the customer, but then he decides to sell it shortly after stating it had just been serviced by Omega. Somebody buys it and the lume plots start falling off the dial. Would expect that person would hold Omegas servicing in pretty low esteem.

I feel they are correct here, that's where independents come in if it isn't what you want.

Master
    Yes fair point, I can see that. Although a simple enough thing too overcome with a statement on the service report....' watch service, condition on receipt- moisture inside case, work done - mechanism cleaned, customer advised to allow replacement dial due to potential water damage but this was declined/refused. Guarantee - not able to provide guarantee due to risk from water damaged dial'. Something like that would be reasonable. However I can see why Omega choose not to I guess.

Master
    This is only a problem if you want to walk around with a knackered looking watch on your wrist.

I have to admit that I walk around with a knackered looking Rolex on my wrist and I feel a complete idiot that I did not have the case polished and a new besel put on it.

Possibly we ought to rid ourselves of the adage that a worn out look is desirable.

its a shame they weren't able to give the customer the choice
    It seems clear that Omega weren’t able to offer “a choice” because of dial condition; what would the point of the work be if bits of lume were going to be getting into the movement immediately post-service? Or if they knew that the dial would self-destruct when removed.

Omega identified a problematic dial, customer declined to have it changed and is now walking around with some sort of pritt-stick assemblage. What am I missing?

Master
    I think Omega were absolutely right. If they couldn’t service it to their own standards then best to refuse

They were completely vindicated in their decision as the lume fell out and I guess they were well aware of this possibility.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I guess from their side they have a standard they have set themselves for work carried out.

Imagine they'd serviced that watch under stipulation with the customer, but then he decides to sell it shortly after stating it had just been serviced by Omega. Somebody buys it and the lume plots start falling off the dial. Would expect that person would hold Omegas servicing in pretty low esteem.

I feel they are correct here, that's where independents come in if it isn't what you want.
    +1, sums it up nicely.

Even independents get caught out like this, someone sends a water- damaged watch and virtually pleads to have it fixed on a ‘ do your best’ basis, knowing the end result won’t be perfect. Watch owner then puts watch for sale and fails to mention the history of the watch and the less than perfect restoration carried out .......this happened twice with me and learned my lesson.

This is why repairers set their own standard, customers isn’t always right. It usual makes sense to give any repairer the scope to do what they feel is necessary.

Master
    One simple thing to remember - If the customer does not want a perfect repair up to the repairers standards, they can go elsewhere. There is nothing to moan about.

Master
    Sounds fair enough then I guess. I've spoken with another who sent a seamaster back to omega for water/moisture ingress, and don't recall his watch getting a new dial but perhaps it did, or perhaps it was an older painted dial. Or perhaps Omega have become stricter in recent years. Either way I can't argue with Omega, they offer a certain service, they are clear that, and add pointed out the customer can choose not to take it if they wish. I guess the issue is more that an independent would likely have had a good conversation with the customer, made recommendations and explained why, while Omega seem to have offered a good spec of service but left the customer feeling they were going ott. Shame there wasn't a little more communication.

Grand Master
    I think the last sentence sums it up, much of this is down to communication and that's where the big organisations are poor. Ideally, discuss the watch with the guy who's doing the work, especially if you don`t understand the reasoning behind the recommendations.

in the case of a water-damaged watch, it's not always clear-cut whether the dial and hands need work , it depends on several factors. Sometimes its possible to stabilise lume by treating with a thin layer of lacquer, but the big repair centres will frown on this. They are very 'black or white', it's a very Swiss attitude, I`ve worked over there (not in the watch business) and I know what they can be like. I think this culture is evident throughout the Swiss watch industry, it's very much a case of 'we know best' in all things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think the last sentence sums it up, much of this is down to communication and that's where the big organisations are poor. Ideally, discuss the watch with the guy who's doing the work, especially if you don`t understand the reasoning behind the recommendations.

in the case of a water-damaged watch, it's not always clear-cut whether the dial and hands need work , it depends on several factors. Sometimes its possible to stabilise lume by treating with a thin layer of lacquer, but the big repair centres will frown on this. They are very 'black or white', it's a very Swiss attitude, I`ve worked over there (not in the watch business) and I know what they can be like. I think this culture is evident throughout the Swiss watch industry, it's very much a case of 'we know best' in all things.
    Without wishing to state the blinding obvious, there are three types of watch customer, who bring their watch in for a service, those who will follow the repairers advice, those who want to preserve its history within reason and those who want originality at all costs.

The third type of customer may be doing the right thing in his own eyes, but no doubt will be the first to complain when the watch lets in water despite insisting that the exterior parts are to be left as is.

You cannot blame a repairer for refusing to take on that sort of work, it is just to much of a risk.

I have to admit, this latest spite of discussions on this topic have moved me from a keep it original type of person to make it as new one.

A few years ago I sent my Seamaster Chronostop back to Bienne for a full appraisal. I went along with everything they recommended based on the fact that I worked for a bank and the guy assessing it was a watchmaker. I asked (and they did it) for them to return all the old bits to me. If anyone had a mind to, they could put all the old bits back in and it would be 100% original again. It won't be me, I like it looking like new, all the new bits are factory Omega after all.

Master
    My understanding is that Rolex St James London now do exactly as you tell them. They also have a new vintage department. They are a stubborn lot but seems like they are finally listening to customer feedback regarding service instructions.

Sounds fair enough then I guess. I've spoken with another who sent a seamaster back to omega for water/moisture ingress, and don't recall his watch getting a new dial but perhaps it did, or perhaps it was an older painted dial. Or perhaps Omega have become stricter in recent years. Either way I can't argue with Omega, they offer a certain service, they are clear that, and add pointed out the customer can choose not to take it if they wish. I guess the issue is more that an independent would likely have had a good conversation with the customer, made recommendations and explained why, while Omega seem to have offered a good spec of service but left the customer feeling they were going ott. Shame there wasn't a little more communication.
    Did the customer talk directly to Omega or was it translated through the retailer. GDPR makes it difficult for brands to have conversations and rely on retailers to do so correctly. In honesty if they were a good retailer they would have explained the brands stance and then given contact details of an independent watchmaker.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That I don't know, and perhaps you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Could imagine doing this with a car repair at your local dealership?? Don't change the oil filter or tyres cos I won't the originals!! Dumbkop!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    That’s hardly the same thing is it?