closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wood dial anyone?

Craftsman

Wood dial anyone?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajpac View Post
    The link doesn’t work but I’m guessing this is the Bentley limited edition. Whilst I’m not a fan of such tie ups I think the outcome is a rather stunning watch. I actually really like the dial.

Craftsman
    Clever but no thanks.Reminds Me some years ago wasn’t there a few polished marble dials about or something?

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watc.../RB01181A1Q1X1

Not 100% sure of the watch but think the dial works well. Wouldn’t mind a meteorite dial someday which are somewhat similar.

Banned
    A few years ago I was in NY and attended a Patek event - there I met a wood marquetry craftsman who solely worked on dials for Patek (apparently he makes 4 dials a year) - some amazing art on his dials:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajpac View Post
    Doesn’t look as bad as I was expecting but it’s a bit of a ‘novelty’ feature for me.

Master

That’s the watch from the non-working link in the OP. Not bad and suggests that different kinds of wood could achieve some interesting and rich effects. However for some reason I don’t feel entirely comfortable with having wood in a watch. The right kind might convince me.

Also that Patek marquetry is pretty amazing, regardless of whether you actually like it as watch.

Banned
    Yes it was the first time I've ever seen marquetry up close - seeing the craftsman take slivers of wood and piece it together into the image in his head was amazing - he even left me a signed souvenir of a rabbit outline design.

His pieces would be more expensive then what I could probably ever justify spending on a watch but for those with the dosh and a lover of the arts I'd definitely see the "value" in purchasing art from PP. Same with intricate enamelled dials etc.