closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Raymond Weil Battery Replace, AD or not?

Raymond Weil Battery Replace, AD or not?

Hi, The battery on my late dads RW quartz tango has failed, its a 20ish year old dress watch that i very rarely wear except on his birthday. So heres the question, AD in Derby quoted me £70 for change plus seal replacement and a guarantee. Seems steep ! I could prob get it replaced at a local jeweller for ~£5-10 with no guarantee. Think I know the answer to this one.....just need a bit of confirmation for some more experienced WIS'. Thanks in advance. Rob
    Last edited by ...buffering...; 9th March 2019 at 12:56.

Quote Originally Posted by ...buffering... View Post
    Hi, The battery on my late dads RW quartz tango has failed, its a 20ish year old dress watch that i very rarely wear except on his birthday. So heres the question, AD in Derby quoted me £70 for change plus seal replacement and a guarantee. Seems steep ! I could prob get it replaced at a local jeweller for ~£5-10 with no guarantee. Think I know the answer to thos one.....just need a bit of confirmation for some more experienced WIS'. Thanks in advance. Rob
    This is the model (not my photo - nabbed off internet)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ...buffering... View Post
    Hi, The battery on my late dads RW quartz tango has failed, its a 20ish year old dress watch that i very rarely wear except on his birthday. So heres the question, AD in Derby quoted me £70 for change plus seal replacement and a guarantee. Seems steep ! I could prob get it replaced at a local jeweller for ~£5-10 with no guarantee. Think I know the answer to this one.....just need a bit of confirmation for some more experienced WIS'. Thanks in advance. Rob
    £10.00 option for me every time on this watch. I have a bell and ross and will probably have to pay £70.00 as it's not so easy to change.
    Regards Paul

You get what you pay for.

With the cheaper option - lacking seal replacement, warranty & pressure test - I’d discount immersing it in water ever again, but perhaps that’s not on the cards anyway, it’s not that sort of watch.

However, I also wouldn’t want one of those cheaper places touching my watch, which is why a Chinese watch tool set, silicone grease applicator pot & replacement battery from Amazon is my go-to option. £15 on those, some patience & care, plus a couple of quid for the replacement battery would set you up with DIY cheap battery replacement means forever.

Journeyman
    Raymond Weil don't make their own movements.

I don't see what you get for paying extra for an AD. If you want the peace of mind go find a watchmaker who will pressure test the watch after replacing the battery.

Craftsman
    I’d be inclined to put the new battery in Myself. A good quality one mind.Renata or similar standard.

Journeyman
    I would certainly do it myself. Note that if a dead battery has been in the watch for many years, there is a good chance it has leaked and fubarred the movement.

Cheers all for your replies. its been flat 6 months max. Confidence in DIY is pretty low. I'd be more likely to do more damage than good. I want it running but £70 just seems like alot for this.
    Last edited by ...buffering...; 10th March 2019 at 07:19.

As long as your local jeweler uses good quality batteries, (very likely), and puts a light film of silicon grease on the seal, (ask), then you should be fine there. If the seal has gone your local jeweler will likely be able to source one, or may even have one depending how often they get asked to fit batteries - if your not certain just ask them.

£70 is ott for a simple battery change on a watch like your Tango - it's a very simple job to do.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    As long as your local jeweler uses good quality batteries, (very likely), and puts a light film of silicon grease on the seal, (ask), then you should be fine there. If the seal has gone your local jeweler will likely be able to source one, or may even have one depending how often they get asked to fit batteries - if your not certain just ask them.

£70 is ott for a simple battery change on a watch like your Tango - it's a very simple job to do.
    Thanks decided will do this and specify the silicon grease.

If you lived local to me, I'd be happy to meet up and fit you a new battery and look at the seal. Are they any TZ members who might be able to help who are less geographically challenged?

I have a RW and pay £10 at a local AD who replace the battery but advise it is not waterproof. They advise it can be sent to RW, which I did in the first ten years of ownership. But in the last ten years or so, it is a simple battery change.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    If you lived local to me, I'd be happy to meet up and fit you a new battery and look at the seal. Are they any TZ members who might be able to help who are less geographically challenged?
    I was going to make the same offer but He’s miles from Me.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I was going to make the same offer but He’s miles from Me.
    Thanks both for offer. Will sort. Thanks again for all replies.