closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Noise Cancelling Headphones

Noise Cancelling Headphones

The ad in SC for the noise cancelling headphones reminded me about a question I've been asking for a while.

Six of us are off on holiday later this. 4 adults and 2 kids. Three of the party have not flown before and we have an 8 hour flight (in the back seats) with Virgin. As we don't travel very often, I was wondering about whether buying some noise cancelling headphones for some/all of the party might be a good idea to make the flights each way a bit more bearable?

I'm not a frequent flyer myself and, to be honest, I'd probably just put up with the noise myself. What do you reckon? Six pairs of headphones for one trip a year (at most) seems a bit excessive. Perhaps we should buy a few pairs to share? Are there any cheaper options that you could recommend?

I have some as I fly a fair bit with work but wouldn't buy them for one trip/year.

Do any of your party have in-ear earphones? I don't get on with them but I'm told they do a pretty good job of noise-blocking rather than noise-cancelling.

For transatlantic trips I try to get a bit of sleep on the way out and to sleep as much as I can on the way back and would recommend simple ear plugs for that.

I have Edz Kids Ear Defenders for my children and Howard Leight foam ear plugs which were about £3 for 20 pairs. I didn't use these but gave some to a work colleague who said they worked really well. Both were from Amazon.

Couple these with blindfolds and certainly helps in getting rest and feeling relaxed, even if you don't actually fall asleep.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For that use I would just use the free earplugs in Virgin. I can send you a boat load if you want some.

I travel a lot at really rate Boss NC items, may favourite are the QC20 variants that are small and quite comfortable once you find a good fit with the different sizes. I find them better as I can sleep with them and they are light. The over ear QC variety are also brilliant.

I would also say that I hear great things about the current Sony over the ear offerings. Not tried them though.

Journeyman
    Find somewhere with a decent returns policy (Apple?) and order away.
    Return any you don’t want to keep when you get back - this assumes you don’t trash them or lose them while away.

I bought a pair of over the ear noise cancelling headphones for a long flight last year and when switched on it was a shock how good they blocked out the background noise. Kids wouldn’t really notice it to be honest but compared to my wife’s non NC it was a revelation. Don’t tell the missus mind you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a pair of Bose QC 35's. They are very good at reducing low level background noise but do let higher sounds through. Excellent on a long flight, but I use them regularly cycling and when out walking - so don't look at them as single purpose devices. Oh, and they also allow me to take incoming calls on my mobile whilst I'm out walking without me having to take my phone out of my pocket.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Bought a pair of QC NC 13 years ago from Las Vegas, think Price was $299.
    Only use them when flying, absolutely fantastic as they lower the noise level.
    Headphones still going strong, only had to replace the ‘donut’ style ear pads.
    Well worth their weight in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I bought a pair of Bose QC 35's. They are very good at reducing low level background noise but do let higher sounds through. Excellent on a long flight, but I use them regularly cycling and when out walking - so don't look at them as single purpose devices. Oh, and they also allow me to take incoming calls on my mobile whilst I'm out walking without me having to take my phone out of my pocket.
    Interesting. How do you respond vocally with the phone in your pocket ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Interesting. How do you respond vocally with the phone in your pocket ?
    The headphones have a built in microphone. When a call comes in it is passed straight to the headphones and overrides whatever you're listening to. Just push a button on the side of the headphone to answer the call.
    Best Regards - Peter

The headphones have a built in microphone. When a call comes in it is passed straight to the headphones and overrides whatever you're listening to. Just push a button on the side of the headphone to answer the call.
    Excellent Peter, I too have a pair of QC 35's and I didn't know they had a microphone built in ! Ta

On further digging, is it just the QC Mk II's that have this feature ? Cant seem to find it on my MK I's.
    Last edited by reggie747; 9th March 2019 at 18:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DA56 View Post
    Return any you don’t want to keep when you get back - this assumes you don’t trash them or lose them while away.
    Are you seriously advocating buying from a retailer, using them while on holiday & then returning them for a refund?

Do you really think this is an acceptable thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Excellent Peter, I too have a pair of QC 35's and I didn't know they had a microphone built in ! Ta

On further digging, is it just the QC Mk II's that have this feature ? Cant seem to find it on my MK I's.
    Yes, standard in the MK 1's, which is what I have.

Page 20 in the User Manual https://www.bose.com/content/dam/Bos...rsguide_ML.pdf

HTH.
    Best Regards - Peter

Yes, standard in the MK 1's, which is what I have.

Page 20 in the User Manual https://www.bose.com/content/dam/Bos...rsguide_ML.pdf

HTH.
    Thanks again.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Are you seriously advocating buying from a retailer, using them while on holiday & then returning them for a refund?

If the retailers T&Cs permit it then I don’t see the problem.

I bought some cheap nc headphones from Amazon - in ear types and they make the world of difference on a flight. I would consider something like this even for non frequent travel.

Can’t link the the ones I bought but were Taotronics and about 30.00

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    You're a few posts and months away from Sales Corner but noted.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    You're a few posts and months away from Sales Corner but noted.
    Indeed.

Master
    I use them regularly cycling and when out walking
    Blimey! Brave man! Last thing I want in traffic is to have zero external sound.

You would if you were a retailer being 'played' by somebody like you.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I'm lucky, there are many cycle tracks around here, so no traffic to worry about, I can cycle for miles without worrying about cars etc. Though those cyclists who prefer to not use them and cycle on the roads instead deserve all that they get!
    Best Regards - Peter

Thieving in my eyes, thieves don’t have a problem with that too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I use my Bose for walking about as well. But I turn down the noise cancelling to the lowest setting so that I still have at least a modicum of situational awareness.

Would you buy used headphones, at full price? What about a used nosehair trimmer, or how about a used buttplug? If the retailer's Ts & Cs allow it then thats ok right?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Would you buy used headphones, at full price? What about a used nosehair trimmer, or how about a used buttplug? If the retailer's Ts & Cs allow it then thats ok right?
    All I know is that I bought an iPhone XS Max and used it for a week before deciding it was too big, they let me return it - no questions asked.
    I’ve no idea what became of the return, nor do I care as they allowed it and there was no drama whatsoever. I doubt they need anyone to be upset on their behalf either, in fact they probably pride themselves on having such a flexible returns policy.

Thanks for all the advice re. this. Much appreciated. I don't think I'll be 'borrowing' pairs of these from retailers for the holiday but there are plenty of other great ideas here to pursue. Thanks TZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    I use my Bose for walking about as well. But I turn down the noise cancelling to the lowest setting so that I still have at least a modicum of situational awareness.
    What ones are those? On my mine noise cancellation is on or off.

Master
    Bose QC35 II

The option is in the app.

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/product...reless-ii.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Bose QC35 II

The option is in the app.

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/product...reless-ii.html
    Thx, unfortunately not an option for my QC35 Is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thx, unfortunately not an option for my QC35 Is.
    I believe you have to upgrade the headphones to the latest firmware for this to be enabled. Before you do it may be an idea to brows the Bose forum as there are reports of upgrading firmware affecting noise cancellation. I've left mine at the original firmware as I don't need the added functionality so can't comment personally if there is any effect due to the upgrade or not.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master
    I'm lucky, there are many cycle tracks around here, so no traffic to worry about, I can cycle for miles without worrying about cars etc. Though those cyclists who prefer to not use them and cycle on the roads instead deserve all that they get!
    Shoreditch to name a place....

I believe you have to upgrade the headphones to the latest firmware for this to be enabled. Before you do it may be an idea to brows the Bose forum as there are reports of upgrading firmware affecting noise cancellation. I've left mine at the original firmware as I don't need the added functionality so can't comment personally if there is any effect due to the upgrade or not.
    Thanks for the info (and warning) but I've bitten the bullet and upgraded - haven't had any issues so far.
    There's just hi/lo/off noise cancellation and the lo setting is fine around the house to remove noise of PC, oven fan and such like.

I have some Sony NC headphones. They do reduce the noise and make flights more enjoyable, but you can't beat the Bose ones in my experience.

I rarely fly these days, mostly short haul holiday flights, but if I still travelled a lot, I'd definitely invest in some.

For one flight? Well, you'd get a good chunk of the purchase price back, so it might not be as excessive as you think, if you think it's that important for one flight.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    I have a Bose set but cannot get them to work inside a Dreamliner! They simply won't work when I plug them in! Other Boeings and Airbus planes is not a problem. It has something to do with the Dreamliner.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've got these and used them quite a lot as I travel a fair bit for work,had Bose in past and for the money these are great bang for your buck and i highly recommend them

Zinsoko Z-H01 Wireless Active... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N556I...p_mob_ap_share

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I have a Bose set but cannot get them to work inside a Dreamliner! They simply won't work when I plug them in! Other Boeings and Airbus planes is not a problem. It has something to do with the Dreamliner.

Maybe you don’t need to use the adapter on a dreamy. The console in the seat will take the standard 9mm jack. At least it does on the virgin dreamy and most new A350s I been on.

Edit. Whoops...Thought 9mm sounded big...I think it’s 2.5mm anyway same point applies.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mi e work fine in the Dreamliner, used them with a few airlines too.

Could someone comment on quality over Bluetooth.

I'm using Apple lossless from phone to my Bose QC35 - is the quality degraded by Bluetooth compared to wired? Is Sony MDR1000s Bluetooth the same?

Master
    Could someone comment on quality over Bluetooth.

I'm using Apple lossless from phone to my Bose QC35 - is the quality degraded by Bluetooth compared to wired? Is Sony MDR1000s Bluetooth the same?
    Apple devices can’t use APT X HD so the best alternative is Apple AAC which the Sony supports. So it will be as good as it can be but probably never quite as good as wired. But then again the noise cancelling and the environments you tend to use these sort of headphones in probably makes it a moot point anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Bought a pair of QC NC 13 years ago from Las Vegas, think Price was $299.
    Only use them when flying, absolutely fantastic as they lower the noise level.
    Headphones still going strong, only had to replace the ‘donut’ style ear pads.
    Well worth their weight in gold.

When i got mine in LV at a Bose outlet I had flown out with a cheaper pair of Sennheisers which I thought were good. the difference between the Bose and Sennheiser was quite noticeable in terms of design and operation. the Bose were superior in every way but they were a larger price tag originally.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Apple devices can’t use APT X HD so the best alternative is Apple AAC which the Sony supports. So it will be as good as it can be but probably never quite as good as wired. But then again the noise cancelling and the environments you tend to use these sort of headphones in probably makes it a moot point anyway.
    Thanks, but do Bose also support AAC?

Thanks, but do Bose also support AAC?
    Yes, Bose supports Apple lossless. Apple's implementation of Bluetooth though is, for some unfathomable reason, not a full implementation of the Bluetooth standards on iPhones etc.
    Best Regards - Peter