closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GoPro - any opinions or advice?

Master

GoPro - any opinions or advice?

Thinking of getting a GoPro - mainly because our son is going skiing with the school but then thought we’d be able to use it at other times etc.
    There seems to be loads out there so any advice would be welcome. They also seem to come in a wide variety of prices! Mrs is in US this week so worth buying from there??
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Don’t leave it on top of a stack of speakers after filming your band’s for the next band to steal it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Seriously though, they’re great cameras. Super portable and convenient. I had a Session 4 which filmed a trip round the North Coast 500 in a Lotus Elise, recorded footage in the studio with the band and a few other projects too. The app connectivity has gotten a lot better too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Newbie to action cam, bought Hero 7 couple weeks ago for ski trip last week. First time owning such a thing, very neat, small, compact, audio clear and seems bulletproof. Battery life was good also, used with gopro chest harness and got some great footage. App seemed to work ok but would like to try some sort of other editing tool (anyone recommend dummies/idiot proof app)

Will try on my motox bike next - early days but well impressed even though expensive. They now do a cream coloured Hero 7 which also looks very neat

We have a Hero 6, very good camera and super quality from both movie and stills.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Have run a session 4 for a couple of years now which is a lot of fun. Love the small compact size (treat it as a toy, see photos below, we really just throw it around and get some really different photos) but will definitely go a standard hero next time if I ever manage to break it as at times I’m frustrated by the lack of a screen.

I’ve had it in the pool, ocean, bike, skateboard, trampoline and it’s never missed a beat. Great purchase and some superb photos.

And just for something completely different here it is hanging off a fishing rod off the top of a building.

Master
    I've got an older model Hero 4 Black Edition which has been used and abused over the years and it's still.going string. Mainly used for mountain biking but also been snorkelling, in various pools and given to my kids to.mess about with. Pretty indestructible and still takes great photos and videos. If you're not sure about them buy an older one which are pretty cheap now.

I've a 4 silver (with screen) and the subsequent basic model (with no screen). Video quality almost identical. The screen is very handy and I wouldn't buy another without one. The video quality is out of this world. I find it a bit wide angle if I'm honest, but it's great doubling up as my dashboard cam.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've got a Hero 4 (I think)... this is a 1080p clip from the last time I went snowboarding.

Easy to use, but awkward without a screen... the wireless app to my phone is a bit laggy for using it as a monitor.

The newest version has built-in stabilisation and is excellent, by all accounts !

https://youtu.be/3Nvi72GvFIE

Master
    Thanks chaps. Will see what the budget stretches to. Good advice re getting one with a screen as I know my wife will use it and good to know we can use it in a pool etc which will be handy for holidays as I was thinking of getting an underwater camera. Now thinking that the GoPro will be more useful.

Is there much difference between the latest, highest spec ones and the latest slightly lower spec ones? As in, anyone used both and can compare?
    Thanks

I don’t know if its of any interest or if you specifically want a GoPro but I bought my lad a ‘action cam’ off eBay similar to this and was quite impressed with the spec.
    Obviously a lot less expensive than a actual GoPro.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campark-S...item2ab25170d0

Master
    I’ve a SJ400 I’ve had some years - great little camera
    https://flic.kr/p/Juw4uq
    https://flic.kr/p/Rp3aHy

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

GoPro - any opinions or advice?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks chaps. Will see what the budget stretches to. Good advice re getting one with a screen as I know my wife will use it and good to know we can use it in a pool etc which will be handy for holidays as I was thinking of getting an underwater camera. Now thinking that the GoPro will be more useful.

Is there much difference between the latest, highest spec ones and the latest slightly lower spec ones? As in, anyone used both and can compare?
    Thanks
    After much comparing we bought the previous version (GoPro5), which has the screen and is the Black Edition. It didn’t have the HyperSmooth or whatever it’s called, but it’s been very good and a fair bit cheaper than the latest incarnation. We then bought a huge bundle of accessories for about £20 which allows you to mount it to just about anything.

Took it skiing a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.

Edit to add: you can compare specs amongst the newest model online. The 5 has been a real step up from an older one we had in terms of stability.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by IdiotAbroad; 8th March 2019 at 12:17.