closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sleeping bags

Master
    Blog Entries

Sleeping bags

Anybody have any recommendations on a decent performance to price bag? We went camping a couple of weekends ago and we were cold in our double sleeping bag so looking for a couple of single bags. A bit of research and I see there's all kinds of options.

Not bothered if it's down or synthetic as long as we get a comfortable nights kip on frosty nights.

Take a look at Alpkit, their down bags are seriously good for the money. If you aren't bothered about weight, Outwell do some warm bags. I have a few bags of varying temperature rating but for UK use, I would aim for a 3 season bag minimum. I have a custom PHD bag and Feathered Friends bag which are good for the worst the UK weather can throw at you.

It depends a lot on whether you’re carrying your stuff any distance before pitching up (i.e. backpacking), or are you just putting the tent up next to your car at a campground. If it’s the latter and you don’t have any weight considerations then I’d go synthetic. If you want to be flexible you could consider having two lightweight singles and sleeping inside those inside your double bag. That would also be more flexible as you’d be set up for summer too. And another big part of keeping warm is isolating yourself from the ground. Are you on some kind of mattress ?

And for shops, I’m out of touch but Go-outdoors always used to have the odd bargain, and probably Decathlon is quite OK too.

Sales people at Go Outdoors are usually quite knowledgeable. They also have a wide choice.

It goes without saying I don’t have any link with them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Try Rock + Run. They have some good deals at the moment on Mountain Hardwear sleeping bags.

This one ought to be toasty and bear in mind women tend to sleep much colder than men if you’re camping with a female tent mate. I once came home to find my wife in a -40c sleeping bag on the sofa with the wood burner and central heating going. The mind boggles..

Anyway here’s a link:
    https://rockrun.com/collections/moun...nina-z-torch-0

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Also if you buy one left and one right zip, you can still zip them together if you wish, but your feet will be in separate bits at the bottom.

For damp inclement uk weather I would go for snugpak. I sleep out all year round and snugpak bags have never let me down. Above the snow line then it has to be a quality down bag but for the UK probably not that practical.
    Tom

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    For damp inclement uk weather I would go for snugpak. I sleep out all year round and snugpak bags have never let me down. Above the snow line then it has to be a quality down bag but for the UK probably not that practical.
    Tom
    Plus one for Snugpak, lots of the armed forces lads junk their std issue bags and replace with the softie range. Made in the UK ( Silsden)

https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags

Weight for weight down is warmer , but needs more care. Synthetic eg Snugpak can be used and abused, eg thrown poorly stored in cupboards, get wet and will still be warm.

I normally go for a three season, you can open up the zips if you are two hot, if you go super light and get cold, then you will be, well cold!

Single sleeping bags will normally be warmer as the seal better. If you are short like me 5’5 go for a 3/4 length, as the more you fill the bag the warmer you will be.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers folks. We will be either sleeping in the back of the camper or on self inflatable mats in a tent so no need to be the smallest bag. Snugpaks look good but it's hard to look past the prices of the mountain hardware bags.
    @ idiotabroad that looks a good bag as I like the idea of a bit of extra room being made for women. I'm at the max recommended length though at 5"8. One thing I do want is a good zip.

Sleeping bags are a minefield, personally I don't get on with them as I find them too restrictive as a side sleeper. I've just ordered a blanket from these.

https://www.astucas.com/en/products/sestrals-blanket/

Also take a look at what your sleeping on as that can have a big impact on comfort and warmth

Master
    Another vote for the Snugpak. Am on my second Softie 9 in nearly twenty years. Been toasty in some fairly chilly weather. Conversely been far too hot in May. Really ought to buy a summer one too. If only I hadn't spent my kit fund on watches :-o

Get a gortex bivvie bag. Will uprate a two season sleeping bag. In the warmer weather the light sleeping bag will do.
    Simples

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Keen on budget - Alpkit

Best available - PHD.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Keen on budget - Alpkit

Best available - PHD.

^^^^^^^

Master
    Blog Entries
    You should be just as concerned about the insulation in your sleeping mattress as you are about the bag.

If you are using an unisulated inflatable mattress like the bog standard camping ones, you are likely to get very very cold.
    The down or synthetic insulation in your bag compresses underneath you and is pretty useless.
    A sheet of foam insulation over the air mattress can help, and a foil blanket below.
    If car camping, a thick wool blanket underneath you will help, but if you are doing that, why not just take a duvet.

I backpack and have used an apex133 version of this backless quilt https://www.gramxpert.eu/product/elite-quilt/
    Down to -5°c, but it is backed up with a well insulated mat like this
    http://www.exped.com/international/e...s/synmat-hl-mw

Obviously that's high spec gear chosen to save weight, but the principal is that a warm mat makes a lot of difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    but it is backed up with a well insulated mat like this
    http://www.exped.com/international/e...s/synmat-hl-mw

Obviously that's high spec gear chosen to save weight, but the principal is that a warm mat makes a lot of difference.
    Out of curiosity, and at risk of hi-jacking the thread, how robust do you find the inflatable mats? I've been using self inflating mats for years and I'm looking for a replacement for my current one which has seen better days. I like the idea of an insulated air mat but I am worried about about it puncturing and not having anything to sleep on (I don't fancy fiddling about with a puncture repair kit at 3am). At least with the self inflating mats you still have some foam even if it punctures. Have you had any problems with air mats?

Tapatapatapatapatalk

As an avid camper, a great tip I read once was to sleep naked in your bag, this allows your natural body heat to warm the bag, whereas wearing thermals etc in the bag doesn’t help. I was sceptical at first but now I’m always toasty and my wife who always wears her PJ’s is often cold. It works; but side note, if you sweat profusely and the bag gets wet it’ll lose its insulation value. I’d go for natural down as well over synthetic.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Cheers folks. We will be either sleeping in the back of the camper or on self inflatable mats in a tent so no need to be the smallest bag. Snugpaks look good but it's hard to look past the prices of the mountain hardware bags.
    @ idiotabroad that looks a good bag as I like the idea of a bit of extra room being made for women. I'm at the max recommended length though at 5"8. One thing I do want is a good zip.
    Hi

Since weight is not a consideration

The Outwell camper supreme is nice and warm and it can be fitted with the Outwell quilted liner.

Great for in the van.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Keen on budget - Alpkit

Best available - PHD.
    Fourthed

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Out of curiosity, and at risk of hi-jacking the thread, how robust do you find the inflatable mats? I've been using self inflating mats for years and I'm looking for a replacement for my current one which has seen better days. I like the idea of an insulated air mat but I am worried about about it puncturing and not having anything to sleep on (I don't fancy fiddling about with a puncture repair kit at 3am). At least with the self inflating mats you still have some foam even if it punctures. Have you had any problems with air mats?

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    I’ve used Thermarests and more recently the Exped mats (down and synthetic).

I think the insulation in the mat makes a pretty minimal difference to be quite honest. That said, they are more comfortable than Thermarests of similar weight/ pack size.

And yes if you get a puncture you’re a bit scuppered. I’ve always used a foam mat under them on expedition as there’s just too much sharp stuff around to risk it (ice axes etc).

Never had a puncture in my Exped mats yet, on over 100 nights. A mixture of being careful and they’re quite well made.

Craftsman
    I have an Outwell Campion. It's square shaped so you have room to turn, but the best bit is that it's double opening. Undo the foot-end zip and it's like having a duvet where you can stick your feet out. 2-3 season, nice little inside pocket, nice soft material. Recommended.

Master
    PHD have got a sale on if you want some serious kit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I’ve used Thermarests and more recently the Exped mats (down and synthetic).

I think the insulation in the mat makes a pretty minimal difference to be quite honest. That said, they are more comfortable than Thermarests of similar weight/ pack size.

And yes if you get a puncture you’re a bit scuppered. I’ve always used a foam mat under them on expedition as there’s just too much sharp stuff around to risk it (ice axes etc).

Never had a puncture in my Exped mats yet, on over 100 nights. A mixture of being careful and they’re quite well made.

Thanks for your reply. I had considered getting a foam mat to put under the air mat but as I carry everything I take with me (including a couple of kilos of camera gear) I think the weight penalty will be too much. I might have to bite the bullet and give one a go and see how I get on. A bit of a pricey gamble but what price a good night's sleep?

Tapatapatapatapatalk