closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-29A or Speedbird III?

Apprentice

PRS-29A or Speedbird III?

Hello, I am new here. I have read through the threads (not all) and I didn't see much information regarding my question, so at the risk of dredging up old news, here it goes.

I have heard about Timefactors watches for a while now, but I have never owned one. I am very much into field watches and I would like to add a Timefactors field watch to my collection. I am undecided between the PRS-29A and the Speedbird III. My wrist measurement is 17,78 and although I have read that the PRS-29A wears bigger than its 36mm due to almost 47mm L2L, I have yet to see a photograph of this watch on my wrist size and I fear it may be too small for me. On the other hand, at 39mm the Speedbird III seems more suited to me, although I am not a fan of bracelets and it would come off in favor of a vintage leather strap on day one. Seems like a terrible waste to pay for it and remove it, but that's me. Apart from the case size, the two watches seem to have similar specs and good movements.

Before you say it, no, I don't want both of them.

So, the PRS-29A or the Speedbird III? What say you and why?

If your preference is the PRS29 then perhaps you would prefer to wait until you can see SC and then wait until a PRS29b is listed. At 39mm, you may find it more suitable if you prefer the size of the Speedbird.

Whatever you choose, you’ll be getting an excellent watch!

Craftsman
    Bought the latest Smiths Military as my first Timefactors watch and its become a regular day wear watch when not at work. The Smiths has just as much a look and feel if not more so of any number of issued GS Hamilton, CWC and Precista I have collected at some point, plus its very easy to read both day and night.

Cannot comment on the Speedbird, as my only other Timefactors is one of the recently released Aerotimer's on the leather strap; likewise not keen on bracelets. Again a well made watch but a little more fussy, so not as clear to read as the Smiths, however it is another watch that gets its fair share of wrist time.

One thing I would say though the Smiths for me anyway doesn't look right on anything but a 18mm strap.

Ed

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If your preference is the PRS29 then perhaps you would prefer to wait until you can see SC and then wait until a PRS29b is listed. At 39mm, you may find it more suitable if you prefer the size of the Speedbird.

Whatever you choose, you’ll be getting an excellent watch!

Thank you. Good suggestion. I actually do prefer the PRS-29A, however like many others I wonder if it will look way too small on my wrist. I do like the notion of the true nod to the original which appears to have been just 1mm smaller, but buying sight unseen makes this a more difficult choice. I have another watch that is 38mm with 47mm L2L and it is a good fit for me, but I worry about 36mm despite the fact the 29A also has almost 47mm L2L. As for the 29B, I actually think that watch's 50.9mm L2L might be too much for me. I know I sound a bit like Goldilocks here, but there it is.

Any photographs of the PRS-29A on a 17,78cm (7") wrist would be appreciated!

I find my Speedbird to be a great size and just recently bought a 36mm PRS25 Everest which is way too small for me (IMO) and so I’m on the lookout for a 40mm Everest.

The size is the one thing stopping me from getting a PRS29 AM, if Eddie made a larger one (which isn’t going to happen) then I’d buy one in a flash.

The Speedbird is a more balanced watch due to the shorter lugs.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I find my Speedbird to be a great size and just recently bought a 36mm PRS25 Everest which is way too small for me (IMO) and so I’m on the lookout for a 40mm Everest.

The size is the one thing stopping me from getting a PRS29 AM, if Eddie made a larger one (which isn’t going to happen) then I’d buy one in a flash.
    May I ask that you post your wrist size?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The Speedbird is a more balanced watch due to the shorter lugs.
    That is my take on it as well, but I still haven't seen a picture of the PRS-29A on my wrist size.

Ive always worn 36mm watches until maybe 3 years ago when i bought a seiko turtle[44mm] and then experimented with all sorts of big sizes. Solar Tunas, a dan henry 1963, a bulova military HAQ, several more 44mm seikos. (I spend a lot of time in airports... its easy to accidentally buy more seikos in airports....) Bought a speedbird, absolutely loved it, still do. Having bought a 29am which has left my wrist maybe 3 or 4 days since christmas i can say that 36mm is deffo the way forward for me. The speedbird now feels a tiny bit too big. Hehehe!

Im 6:3 and have massive hands and biggish wrists. The seiko still gets some quality wrist time but it just weighs soooo much. As does the speedbird on its bracelet. I find that the heavier the watch, the more likely it is to get doinked into a flightcase at work. Mind you, i always wear two watches at work so that doubles the chances of doinking one anyways...

Theyre both great watches. The 29am is 100% issue free, a lovely lovely watch. The speedbird has short lugs, which makes strap swapping a chore. (I normally wear my sb3 on a bonklip, the original speedbird bracelet lives on a newmark 6bb chrono.) Apart from that its amazing.

Side by side pic-

Note- i dont wear two on one wrist... that would be wierd. One on each is fine. ;c)
    Cheers!
    Rich

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthpunk View Post
    Ive always worn 36mm watches until maybe 3 years ago when i bought a seiko turtle[44mm] and then experimented with all sorts of big sizes. Solar Tunas, a dan henry 1963, a bulova military HAQ, several more 44mm seikos. (I spend a lot of time in airports... its easy to accidentally buy more seikos in airports....) Bought a speedbird, absolutely loved it, still do. Having bought a 29am which has left my wrist maybe 3 or 4 days since christmas i can say that 36mm is deffo the way forward for me. The speedbird now feels a tiny bit too big. Hehehe!

Im 6:3 and have massive hands and biggish wrists. The seiko still gets some quality wrist time but it just weighs soooo much. As does the speedbird on its bracelet. I find that the heavier the watch, the more likely it is to get doinked into a flightcase at work. Mind you, i always wear two watches at work so that doubles the chances of doinking one anyways...

Theyre both great watches. The 29am is 100% issue free, a lovely lovely watch. The speedbird has short lugs, which makes strap swapping a chore. (I normally wear my sb3 on a bonklip, the original speedbird bracelet lives on a newmark 6bb chrono.) Apart from that its amazing.

Side by side pic-

Note- i dont wear two on one wrist... that would be wierd. One on each is fine. ;c)
    Cheers!
    Rich
    Thanks for the photo. What is your wrist size?