closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linking to previous SC ad when selling a watch on SC

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Oh I am not so sure on that.
    I have written quite a few things and taken quite a few photos for forum posts that I have later found all over the internet, from a mini potted histroy of Lemania found pasted into Ukrainian Ebay Listings to my pictures of an old Wittnauer Chronograph now part of someones watch database.
    None of them were credited or permission sought, and it is annyoing, as in both cases they were taken for free and then used to bolster someone else's commercial offer.

We do own what we write and photographs we take, the least others can do is ask before appropriating them. It's just manners.
    It has always been forum etquette to ascribe photo credits to ones that we have not taken for ourselves.
    This is just an extension of that.

Dave
    Appropriating someone’s photos/text to use in your own posts is not the same as using a link.
    Who doesn’t sometimes use a link to a news story or whatever in their posts?

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    I think if you’re selling a watch regardless of how long it’s been owned then you should do your own sale ad.
    Yep.

The only thing more bone idle is "I'll post pictures later", with "Can email pictures" a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Appropriating someone’s photos/text to use in your own posts is not the same as using a link.
    Who doesn’t sometimes use a link to a news story or whatever in their posts?
    Agreed, sure. The reason I quoted those examples is merely to suggest that we do have ownership of text and pictures that we post. Not to equate linking with appropriating.

The seller is still offering someone else's listing to bolster his own (otherwise there is no point in doing it), so I still think manners suggest that you ask, even if, as you rightly suggest, linking it leaves it in its original situation.

Dave

Craftsman

Ditto ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think it’s a nonsense.

Using someone else’s photos, I’d expect permission to be sought - but linking to a advert/sale that anyone could search for on the forum, then I’m sorry but some people are just too precious and need to get over themselves. It’s neither wrong or impolite to link to it, it’s just a bloody fact, especially if they the current seller now own the watch bought from that ad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The main problem as I see it (and it’s not just sales corner), is that many people see a thread that they’ve created as belonging to them.

Many times I’ve seen phrases like “it’s my thread, please keep it on topic” or similar. What we need to do is remove the concept of ownership; non of us own anything we post in this (or any other) public forum.

On that basis, there’s no need to ask permission to link to or quote an existing thread.
    Can you please just focus on the question re sc links? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Agreed, sure. The reason I quoted those examples is merely to suggest that we do have ownership of text and pictures that we post. Not to equate linking with appropriating.

The seller is still offering someone else's listing to bolster his own (otherwise there is no point in doing it), so I still think manners suggest that you ask, even if, as you rightly suggest, linking it leaves it in its original situation.

Dave
    Then again, no-one comments when pictures are posted from other sources - of watches, naked ladies, cars etc. - where copyright clearly lies elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    A quick PM to make sure that the previous seller is aware of the proposed link just seems courteous. It seems equally courteous to say yes, btw.

What I find totally infuriating is a sales post that relies totally on that link - no description of condition, no new photos etc. That’s lazy in the extreme and in my opinion the seller doesn’t deserve to make the sale.

Worst of all is a sales post that starts with the words “This is a quick/lazy sales post...”. That’s just disrespectful to the community - make an effort, for goodness sake!

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree. I PMd the OP.. he said no.. end of story.

As I said to him, I was always gonna do my own post and taking my own pictures.. I just wanted to show the provenance of the watch by including his original post, that’s all

Then again, no-one comments when pictures are posted from other sources - of watches, naked ladies, cars etc. - where copyright clearly lies elsewhere.
    I certainly try to give credit every time I use someone else's piccy, but I am certainly aware that I may be in the minority

D

For me the ideal ad has a few recent pictures and also links to all previous ads.

I cant see how anyone would take umbrage with a link back if the new seller puts some of their own work into the post.

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post

As I said to him, I was always gonna do my own post and taking my own pictures.. I just wanted to show the provenance of the watch by including his original post, that’s all

Personally, I wouldn't have asked permission. If I was having an off day, I may have sent a pm advising that I was moving the watch on and would be linking to the original sale.

It's nothing like lifting other people's words and photos, it's clearly a link to their work.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it - it's completely flawed logic.

Don't want anyone linking to one of your previous posts, then don't post!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Do we really need to ask permission to link to a thread which is already available to anyone?

The original poster doesn’t own anything with this. If people want to do it then that’s fine but to feel aggrieved if someone hasn’t is a bit over the top don’t you think?

Surely there are bigger problems in the world.

Being a serial flipper I always refer to previous sales posts with “purchase from forum here

When I buy from the forum, I like to do my homework and make the effort of finding previous sales posts of the same watch. I want to know as much about the watch and who owned it.

I still post my own text, recent photos etc, and link merely as a courtesy for members to save them time trying to find the earlier sales post.

Not sure why a previous seller would not mind being linked to be honest. Transparency makes this forum a much safer place to buy expensive watches, and long may it remain that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Do we really need to ask permission to link to a thread which is already available to anyone?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    The original poster doesn’t own anything with this. If people want to do it then that’s fine but to feel aggrieved if someone hasn’t is a bit over the top don’t you think?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Being a serial flipper I always refer to previous sales posts with “purchase from forum here
    When I buy from the forum, I like to do my homework and make the effort of finding previous sales posts of the same watch. I want to know as much about the watch and who owned it.
    I still post my own text, recent photos etc, and link merely as a courtesy for members to save them time trying to find the earlier sales post.
    Not sure why a previous seller would not mind being linked to be honest. Transparency makes this forum a much safer place to buy expensive watches, and long may it remain that way.
    My views entirely. If previous information about the watch is publicly available on this forum, it's in everyone's interest to make it as accessible as possible to any potential buyers.

So you asked michael.jaye if you could link to one of his posts, as well? On an ad with your own pics and description, and he said 'no'? And then he got the hump with Mart Broad for also linking back to one of his forum sales posts?

Case closed. Someone needs to stop being so precious, me precious …

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

This pretty much nails it for me. The more information available the better.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I don't get provenance thing. Does it really matter that watch was owned by Steve, Peter and Mary, sold 7 times in 2 years, lived happy and full live? Why don't we go further - let's add address of shop it was sold, sales assistant photo and quick recap of sales pitch that lead to purchase :-)
    With dictaphone recording of whole transaction.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    So you asked michael.jaye if you could link to one of his posts, as well? On an ad with your own pics and description, and he said 'no'? And then he got the hump with Mart Broad for also linking back to one of his forum sales posts?

Case closed. Someone needs to stop being so precious, me precious …
    Didn’t have sight of the ad at the time of the initial request. If asked the question I have every right to decline. My personal view is I can’t see what value links being added to advert bring hence why I declined.

Not being precious, just asking what the forum view is in posting links. By the looks of things I’m not alone in my thinking.

This isn’t a big deal...why is it when a question is asked on the forum people interpret it as a moan?

Master

Not quite true, no mention in your PM to me of including your own pictures, provenance reasoning or anything like that when you sent me that message...minimal mention of the post you would do actually.

Didn’t have sight of the ad at the time of the initial request. If asked the question I have every right to decline. My personal view is I can’t see what value links being added to advert bring hence why I declined.

Not being precious, just asking what the forum view is in posting links. By the looks of things I’m not alone in my thinking.

This isn’t a big deal...why is it when a question is asked on the forum people interpret it as a moan?

Links might not add value for you but if it does for others why not just say yes? Who are you to say it doesn’t add value for someone else?
    You might have a right to refuse but you’ve no right to be asked. Seller could always name date of previous sales post (and even you) so easily found anyway.

Master
    Links might not add value for you but if it does for others why not just say yes? Who are you to say it doesn’t add value for someone else?
    You might have a right to refuse but you’ve no right to be asked. Seller could always name date of previous sales post (and even you) so easily found anyway.
    Why can’t I answer based on my own views? As you say I have a right to refuse. My main crux is I can’t see how old photos/description help in a current sales ad? To me none hence my reasoning to decline....not because of me being protective of “my” post. Opinion of whether old links add value is split, I am not alone.

I’m not saying I have the right to be asked, topic is to gauge forum opinion.

Why can’t I answer based on my own views? As you say I have a right to refuse. My main crux is I can’t see how old photos/description help in a current sales ad? To me none hence my reasoning to decline....not because of me being protective of “my” post. Opinion of whether old links add value is split, I am not alone.

I’m not saying I have the right to be asked, topic is to gauge forum opinion.
    I think the opinion is pretty conclusive, and you are being protective else why refuse? Your post is still available so it's pretty pointless to refuse anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I think the opinion is pretty conclusive, and you are being protective else why refuse? Your post is still available so it's pretty pointless to refuse anyway.
    I’m not alone in my thinking, and as mentioned I refused based on my views on the perceived added value of linking to old adverts, simples. I know my posts are still available. If I was that fussed I’d go back and delete my original sales ads which I haven’t.

Master
    If I was that fussed I’d go back and delete my original sales ads which I haven’t.
    Isn't that against forum rules?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

Cant see that specifically in the guidelines - perhaps implied in (6).

Dealers are not allowed to post, neither should there be any links to commercial websites.

If pictures or links to pictures are used, the picture should be of the actual item offered for sale. If the picture is NOT the item offered for sale, it should be made clear in the description.

Anyone who posts more than 3 items a week will be regarded as a dealer.

The advertising of replica watches is not permitted.

All "For Sale" posts should include a selling price whether or not the post also includes a link to another site where the item is offered for sale or auction.

Prices should not be deleted when the sale is completed.

All items offered for sale should be the property of the poster, not "sold on behalf of".

If your first post after joining the forum is a "For Sale" post, expect it and your membership to be deleted.

All "Wanted To Buy" posts should be in the "I Want One Of These" sub-forum. Any WTB posts in "Sales Corner" will be deleted.

All knives and air guns offered for sale must be UK legal and the sale must be conducted in accordance with the relevant laws.

All posts which contravene these guidelines will be deleted.

Master
    I’m not alone in my thinking, and as mentioned I refused based on my views on the perceived added value of linking to old adverts, simples. I know my posts are still available. If I was that fussed I’d go back and delete my original sales ads which I haven’t.
    The internet doesn't really work like this.

It's in the the public domain.

I love this forum and the passion on it but sometimes the level of preciouness leaves me bewildered.

Maybe with one comes the other or something

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Cant see that specifically in the guidelines - perhaps implied in (6).
    I can.

How can you leave the price in, if you delete the post?

I’d say you are in the vast minority in your opinion on it. Id also say it’s ridiculous that you feel you have a right to refuse, when in fact you have no rights in relation to the linking of your previous posts.

It is an absolute nonsence imho.

Master
    I’d say you are in the vast minority in your opinion on it.
    Please change 'vast' .... ;-)

Please change 'vast' .... ;-)

You don't like my use of a cliched oxymoron? You can ignore the word vast if you like :)

If I was that fussed I’d go back and delete my original sales ads which I haven’t.
    There was one member a while back who, once whatever he was selling sold, used to delete all the content of his sales posts apart from the price, I think it was. Maybe the price too. It leads one to wonder why someone would want to cover their tracks like that.

For clarity, I'm not referring to michael.jaye, as you can see for yourself here, here, here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    There was one member a while back who, once whatever he was selling sold, used to delete all the content of his sales posts apart from the price, I think it was. Maybe the price too. It leads one to wonder why someone would want to cover their tracks like that.

For clarity, I'm not referring to michael.jaye, as you can see for yourself here, here, here and here.
    Did you ask to link to his sales?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have no objection to people linking back to my sales posts. Why would I? If people want to look back over the history of the watches.. GOOD.

Saves on "oh ive had this for years" aka bought it from eBay last week.. shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The main problem as I see it (and it’s not just sales corner), is that many people see a thread that they’ve created as belonging to them.

Many times I’ve seen phrases like “it’s my thread, please keep it on topic” or similar. What we need to do is remove the concept of ownership; non of us own anything we post in this (or any other) public forum.

On that basis, there’s no need to ask permission to link to or quote an existing thread.
    That is another can of worms and I totally agree.

Then there are the people who ask for opinions on their watch and then get upset when someone dares to say they don't like it...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Not quite true, no mention in your PM to me of including your own pictures, provenance reasoning or anything like that when you sent me that message...minimal mention of the post you would do actually.
    Minimal doesn’t mean absent.. or that I’m lying though, does it?

I made it very clear in the second PM ive sent you!

I can.

How can you leave the price in, if you delete the post?
    I know the answer to this: you delete everything else in the post but the price
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Linking to the old ad just seems lazy. I want to see the watch you have, right now, in your ownership.

Take some photos, put up a description. It's not hard and I don't think it should be considered a complete advert unless there are new photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I know the answer to this: you delete everything else in the post but the price
    You could, but a) that wouldn’t be in the spirit of the rule, b) that wouldn’t actually be deleting the post - just some of the content.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    Linking to the old ad just seems lazy. I want to see the watch you have, right now, in your ownership.

Take some photos, put up a description. It's not hard and I don't think it should be considered a complete advert unless there are new photos.
    Completely different argument though - yes a good description and recent pics should be included - but linking to a previous post, of a watch which you have actually purchased should be a non-issue, and actually adds a bit of history to the watch.

Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with a seller linking to a previous ad PROVIDING you get permission/agreement AND you are just using it as a piece of extra provenance in addition to your own description and current pictures. The old ad is not yours and any pictures in it are not yours, using them without permission is extremely discourteous and they may not be indicative of the current state of the watch. A lazy ad does not tempt people to buy and the ‘piggybacking’ issue mentioned earlier in the thread is a very valid point.

One thing I find particularly irritating is a seller who has had and worn a watch for a couple of years and put it up for sale whining that they ‘just’ want to get all of their purchase price back. I know there are various and valid Daytona-like reasons why a seller could reasonably ask more than they paid but some buggers think that applies to all watches and asaiac it does not!

HAGW guys!
    Last edited by KavKav; 15th March 2019 at 08:55.

Master
    Like most on here I do my own Sales Post with as much info and photos as I can give. However some people do a much better job when it comes to a Sales Post than my sometimes pathetic efforts with regards to content and photos. In that case I always ask before linking to their post as to me it gives a better chance of selling the item. Without arguing the legal rights etc of using someone elses pics etc, it just seems only polite to ask.
    Must admit never had anyone refuse yet.

Craftsman
    Just wondering what the forum etiquette on this as it’s happened to me a few times recently.

Example 1: A Forum member got in touch as they now own a watch I sold via the forum 5 months ago. The person who now owns the watch isn’t the person I sold the watch too. They were asking if they could link to my original sales ad in their sales post. I declined as the watch is now 5 months older and has had two new owners, so linking to my old ad has no value. I haven’t seen the watch since selling so can’t attest to its condition.

Example 2: Recently my Tudor Pelagos blue was sold via the forum. The new owner decided it wasn’t for him and put a sales ad on the forum linking to my original advert. This watch was subsequently traded to someone else...This new owner has also put the watch up on SC and also linked to my original advert. Again the watch now has had two new owners (albeit for a short time, just under 3 weeks) so what value is there linking to my original advert? Again I can’t attest to its current condition.

Personally I think if you’re selling a watch regardless of how long it’s been owned then you should do your own sale ad.

What is the forums view.

Cheers
    Mike

This took with a bit of a surprise, as I am the current owner of the blue Pelagos referenced here. I honestly never thought it was a thing nor I see an “ownership” issue, for me it is a link to the history of the watch. I will however remove your link from my ad, and, please accept my apologies if it offended you in any way.

Cheers