closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrods Rolex waiting list?

Journeyman

Harrods Rolex waiting list?

Hey guys, I'm after a black GMTMaster II. I have rang lots of dealers and they're all quoting waiting lists of 3 years plus with lots that have closed their waiting lists and will only consider you if you have purchased Rolex from the previously.

I went to Harrods recently and they've said I may be able to get a black GMT within a year if I spend 10k on watches and buy another Rolex such as a Datejust. Should be able to do that as I'm on the waiting list for green black bay and Tudor GMT and also after an IWC but I don't know if they are just saying this to sell other watches.

I would be grateful for any insight!
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Wait till after Basel as it may/may not be discontinued. Spending 10k on other watches that’s mad

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Wait till after Basel as it may/may not be discontinued. Spending 10k on other watches that’s mad
    I agree on both counts. If it's discontinued I'd be surprised if it doesn't resurface with a new movement as the 216710LN though. The black black gmt is a mainstay of the range.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Phone up a dealer outside of London and enquire if they have one in stock.

The all black GMT is occasionally seen in windows as its not as achingly popular as the Pepsi/blnr.

As Verv said

I’m based in the Midlands and you do occasionally see one in AD window

Again though - a lot is down to relationships I’m told

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'm also based in the Midlands and I've visited dealers in Birmingham, Leicester and Nottingham.

None of them had professional steel Rolex watches in stock.

Im also after a BLNR, part of me wants to build.up a relationship with a local dealer but part of me is also saying to get a grey market BLNR as no smoke and mirrors involved but not keen to spend double RRP out of principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibo View Post

I'm also based in the Midlands and I've visited dealers in Birmingham, Leicester and Nottingham.

Im also after a BLNR, part of me wants to build.up a relationship with a local dealer but part of me is also saying to get a grey market BLNR as no smoke and mirrors involved but not keen to spend double RRP out of principle.
    I'm West Mids based and I don't think there is an easy way into a ss sports Rolex anymore. I got my blnr after a 3 year wait and regular contact with the local AD. The blnr is a great watch but it's absolutely not worth double rrp imo. Unless you are screamingly wealthy I'd be getting on as many local lists as you can.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'm West Mids based and I don't think there is an easy way into a ss sports Rolex anymore. I got my blnr after a 3 year wait and regular contact with the local AD. The blnr is a great watch but it's absolutely not worth double rrp imo. Unless you are screamingly wealthy I'd be getting on as many local lists as you can.
    Most of the places around me have said their lists are either closed or they will not add anyone that has not purchased from them the past.

Bought a GSOTM from Fraser Hart a few months ago and they've said I need to buy at least another Rolex before they add me to their list and even then no idea of timescale.

I'm on a handful of lists so not all bad!

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    As a BLNR owner I would be just as happy with an all black GMT. If the BLNR get discontinued the prices will go ballistic! The black is still the best all rounder.
    I thought the BLNR was discontinued from Jan/Feb?
    Last edited by Sibo; 5th March 2019 at 19:04.

Just rumour at this stage but even Tim Mosso said it was going on a recent Watchbox video!

Journeyman

Just wishful thinking from those who wish to turn theirs in for huge gains.

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t buy a watch I didn’t want just to be put on a list. Grey prices are crazy at the moment for the BLNR. Watchfinder offered me £9k for mine yesterday and it’s not even officially discontinued (it’s not for sale)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    I wouldn’t buy a watch I didn’t want just to be put on a list. Grey prices are crazy at the moment for the BLNR. Watchfinder offered me £9k for mine yesterday and it’s not even officially discontinued (it’s not for sale)
    How did they make the offer ? You must have enquired, surely ?

Haywood has a secondhand one for sale at £6.4k if you are interested. If you want it perfect, then send it to Rolex for a spa treatment.

No lists, no dicking around with warranty papers. Just a fully sorted watch.
    Last edited by Andyg; 5th March 2019 at 21:16.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DA56 View Post
    How did they make the offer ? You must have enquired, surely ?
    Yeah I do it from time to time. Majority of the time the offers are comical.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    Yeah I do it from time to time. Majority of the time the offers are comical.
    Oh. Do you take your car to the dealership from time to time to see what they value it at ?

Craftsman
    Oh. Do you take your car to the dealership from time to time to see what they value it at ?
    No it’s on a lease so depreciation isn’t a concern

Master
    And the point is?

Crazy to have to spend 10k on watches you don't want to get one you do. Will this Rolex madness keep going?

Journeyman
    What's you're(sic) problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    And the point is?
    The only problem I can see is for those who have their time wasted by people requesting a valuation despite having no intention of selling.
    Putting a car rej(sic) through an automated online process is quite different.

False news! The BLNR is still a current model on the official Rolex website.
    On the Rolex forums someone had confirmed that Rolex continue to show discontinued models on their site so the ADs can move their inventory. Based on this anecdote (which seems plausible) I'd say being on the site is not proof of still being in production.

Craftsman
    Watchfinder would be happy to quote as the cost is negligible. They will have set buying prices and buy so many watches they take no time to give an indicative offer.

I imagine they’d be happy to build some customer relationship with a chance of a future purchase or sale. At the very least they get information from you on the watches you own, therefore the kind of watches you like plus your contact details.

Master
    and they've said I need to buy at least another Rolex before they add me to their list and even then no idea of timescale.
    The staff at these places must be giggling their heads off knowing people are stupid enough to buy another watch at rrp, to get on a "list", with no gaurantees, knowing fine well when a saught after watch reaches the store it goes straight to their mates and into the grey market.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    The staff at these places must be giggling their heads off knowing people are stupid enough to buy another watch at rrp, to get on a "list", with no gaurantees, knowing fine well when a saught after watch reaches the store it goes straight to their mates and into the grey market.
    I'm sure that happens in some cases. The whole situation with Rolex steel sports watches has got way beyond silly, but if folks are prepared to grovel and beg, like dogs begging for a treat, it'll continue.

If an item isn`t available to buy, perhaps it makes more sense to buy something else instead..........or simply don`t bother!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nellyh View Post
    Watchfinder would be happy to quote as the cost is negligible. They will have set buying prices and buy so many watches they take no time to give an indicative offer.

I imagine they’d be happy to build some customer relationship with a chance of a future purchase or sale. At the very least they get information from you on the watches you own, therefore the kind of watches you like plus your contact details.
    Indeed. I got a quote for my aquanaut from them early last year. They phoned and dropped me an email in December asking if it was for sale

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I'm sure that happens in some cases. The whole situation with Rolex steel sports watches has got way beyond silly, but if folks are prepared to grovel and beg, like dogs begging for a treat, it'll continue.

If an item isn`t available to buy, perhaps it makes more sense to buy something else instead..........or simply don`t bother!
    I'm with Groucho. If a watch is available then it clearly isn't desirable and I wouldn't buy it.

Craftsman
    I was chatting to one of the staff in a Chisholm Hunter I'm friendly with on Monday (in Edinburgh). I had been eyeing up a Rolex Coke for a while and it was gone when I popped by (couldn't afford it anyway!). We were just chatting about what they had in - white dial Daytona being the standout.

Anyway, he told me they the company policy had changed recently and that all stock of highly desirable watches were being pulled back into a central location and then sent to branches when they had a customer. Incidentally he specifically mentioned they had had a black GMT with the green hand, because there are rumours it will be discontinued. As such, its tough to get hold of - and they were asked to send it to head office. It may already be gone, but might be worth popping into local CH and seeing if they can help. All the best with the hunt!

John

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

all black GMT is not difficult to buy

try Man AD, they normally hold a stoke of some sports models

FWIW black black GMTs used to be in every AD window up until the last 9 months or so. I haven't seen one anywhere since then. Airkings and Explorers remain ubiquitous but the 116710LN GMT is scarce now imo.

Journeyman
    Wrong again!! It's exactly the same! You fill in an online Watchfinder Enquiry form with the watch model/serial number & you receive a email quote back, just as you do with We Buy Any Car.com!
    You don’t think there is any human involvement in Watchfinder quotations ?

Blog Entries
    You don’t think there is any human involvement in Watchfinder quotations ?
    That made me chuckle!

Journeyman
    Hey guys, I'm after a black GMTMaster II. I have rang lots of dealers and they're all quoting waiting lists of 3 years plus with lots that have closed their waiting lists and will only consider you if you have purchased Rolex from the previously.

I went to Harrods recently and they've said I may be able to get a black GMT within a year if I spend 10k on watches and buy another Rolex such as a Datejust. Should be able to do that as I'm on the waiting list for green black bay and Tudor GMT and also after an IWC but I don't know if they are just saying this to sell other watches.

Thanks
    Friend of mine was told similar abroad. Buy a gold Rolex and next steel sports model yours. Spending 20k on a watch yo buy one for 7k is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    No more or less human involvement than car valuation sites
    Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by donsaini View Post
    Friend of mine was told similar abroad. Buy a gold Rolex and next steel sports model yours. Spending 20k on a watch yo buy one for 7k is ridiculous
    Rolex has been doing that to their dealers for years... forcing them to take tons of unwanted models like the Cellini and the DJs in order to have a couple of desirable models like the steel sub. Now the abused have become the abusers. It's a nasty game.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    And the point is?

Crazy to have to spend 10k on watches you don't want to get one you do. Will this Rolex madness keep going?
    Only as long as people are daft enough to play the silly game Rolex and their AD's have created.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Rolex has been doing that to their dealers for years... forcing them to take tons of unwanted models like the Cellini and the DJs in order to have a couple of desirable models like the steel sub. Now the abused have become the abusers. It's a nasty game.
    You’re right. My AD had to buy a load of lady datejusts just to get a few gold Daytona’s before Christmas.

Grand Master
    Perhaps the waiting lists would shrink a little if folks were asked to pay for the watch up front in full, on condition that they receive the watch within 12 months. If the customer changes his mind he gets his money back minus a 5% admin fee.

That would sort the men from the boys!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I was chatting to one of the staff in a Chisholm Hunter I'm friendly with on Monday (in Edinburgh). I had been eyeing up a Rolex Coke for a while and it was gone when I popped by (couldn't afford it anyway!). We were just chatting about what they had in - white dial Daytona being the standout.

Anyway, he told me they the company policy had changed recently and that all stock of highly desirable watches were being pulled back into a central location and then sent to branches when they had a customer. Incidentally he specifically mentioned they had had a black GMT with the green hand, because there are rumours it will be discontinued. As such, its tough to get hold of - and they were asked to send it to head office. It may already be gone, but might be worth popping into local CH and seeing if they can help. All the best with the hunt!

John

Thanks John. They only have pre-owned ones right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Err...you are aware that the DateJust is the best selling Rolex? The most popular Rolex with the general public. That’s why they offer about 400 variations on the one model.
    Far from being ‘forced’ on dealers, it’s their bread and butter. And with good reason.
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th March 2019 at 10:51.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Err...you are aware that the DateJust is the best selling Rolex? The most popular Rolex with the general public. That’s why they offer about 400 variations on the one model.
    Far from being ‘forced’ on dealers, it’s their bread and butter. And with good reason.
    Rolex do not offer about 400 variations of the DateJust.......

They offer about 1,500 variations.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Perhaps the waiting lists would shrink a little if folks were asked to pay for the watch up front in full, on condition that they receive the watch within 12 months. If the customer changes his mind he gets his money back minus a 5% admin fee.

That would sort the men from the boys!
    I agree but sometimes you want to see how the watch looks on your wrist before you commit to buy.

I was very keen on a Tudor BBB Bucherer and didn't like how it looked on my wrist after trying it on so didn't purchase it.

Craftsman
    I agree but sometimes you want to see how the watch looks on your wrist before you commit to buy.

I was very keen on a Tudor BBB Bucherer and didn't like how it looked on my wrist after trying it on so didn't purchase it.
    Then maybe they should have 1 display model in stock at all times that’s not for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Thanks
    Unless it's in a contract then there is nothing to hold them to it... I'd just buy one from a grey market dealer than go through the hassle of buying other watches to get it.

Craftsman
    Thanks John. They only have pre-owned ones right?
    Yes, only dealing in 2nd hand

John

Grand Master
    Yes I agree but they are looking a bit tired now, time for some updates! A 38mm would be nice
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the Datejust, I think they cover all bases. I`m not a fan of the larger ones but there's clearly a market for them.

If it ain't broken don`t fix it. The design works best, as it always has done, at 36mm.

Just re-read this thread, I don`t know whether to laugh or cry at some of the comments. Did someone really attempt to buy £40K's worth of watches he didn`t really want just to get preference on a waiting list?.........maybe!

Do people really crave to own these watches so desperately?.........sadly they do!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th March 2019 at 17:41.

Apprentice

Have you tried Johnsons in Nuneaton? They are smaller but normally have a good stock of Rolex, I don't know if they currently have a GMT but it's worth asking them.

Much as I like sports Rolex watches, it is ridiculous to have to buy another watch that you don't want or have to 'build a relationship' with AD so that you can buy one. A relationship with an AD if there is such a thing is built by years of custom and not by buying several thousands worth of watches at a go. If one is that desperate, it is better to just pay the premium and be done with it if it suits the wallet. Otherwise, let the dealer know of your genuine interest and patiently wait for the 'call'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Haywood has a secondhand one for sale at £6.4k if you are interested. If you want it perfect, then send it to Rolex for a spa treatment.

No lists, no dicking around with warranty papers. Just a fully sorted watch.
    Where can I get this? Sounds like a good price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk