closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New watch arrival, Ghost Captain

New watch arrival, Ghost Captain

I've just bought this from a forum member. Couldn't believe my luck as I was really tempted to buy one online from the shop but with import duty it would have been a bit steep so when it turned out someone fairly local had one for sale and they were able to come to my town and meet I was delighted!

It's a limited edition of the Rado Ghost Captain, in collaboration with Revolution magazine and The Rake who are a luxury goods retailer. As such, it's got a lovely grey dial and bezel but remains otherwise unchanged. It comes with three straps, a grey leather, a grey NATO and a grey leather NATO(!) but having worn a similar sized and weighted Westclox diver for a long time I feel a watch like this really belongs on a good Perlon, keeping it nice and close to the wrist with zero bulk.

The site is 37.7mm or thereabouts. After wearing a Longines Legend Diver for so long it felt very small initially, but after a day or two I'm used to it and feel again that this is about the right size for me. I have 7.5inch wrists but just prefer the understated look of a smaller watch now and then. Being so small it's features really jump out as jewel like and it's really comfortable. Also being similar in style and size to my Westclox my wife hasn't noticed yet.

So what's to like?
    - Inward sloping bezel in grey ceramic.
    - Domed sapphire crystal creates a lovely shape to the face of the watch with the aforementioned bezel
    - Dial is curved at the edges (pie-pan?) giving more 3D shape and depth
    - Handset is just so 60s
    - Lume is bright
    - Love the size and case shape
    - Rotating anchor in dial logo
    - Powermatic 80 movement, +5spd so far, I'm used to much worse!
    - Red date every day!

What could be improved?
    - 19mm lugs are a pain but 20mm perlons fit perfectly. It does limit options though. 20mm NATOS are squished bit I have some 19mm, but generally don't like NATOs as they make the watch too high and I dislike the bulk
    - Crown is quite small and not very grippy, however with long PR it should't be necessary to manipulate often
    - Date is at edge of dial and can be distorted by the crystal

Here's a quick wrist shot. Yes I have some grey perlons to try it on too:

Last edited by ped; 6th March 2019 at 15:50.

Congratulations! I have a 7.5 inch wrist and just dont prefer anything smaller then 40mm...but this looks great!

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

Lovely. The Fifty Fathoms DNA is strong with this one. I’m becoming an increasingly stronger fan of the Captain Cook.

Thanks chaps, I've added a pic of it on a grey perlon which really brings out the grey subtlety on the watch itself.

Here's an attempt to show the 3D shape of the sloping bezel and box crystal

I'm really pleased that the combo will be a perfect watch for holidays, 100m water resistance, light weight, small, quick drying and comfortable.. bring on the summer!

Lovely looking watch that, looks genuinely vintage but with modern reliability, water resistance etc, win win.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    Lovely looking watch that, looks genuinely vintage but with modern reliability, water resistance etc, win win.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Yes my thoughts exactly. I also like the fact it doesn’t have faux patina, it’s a bit refreshing as so many watches like this do now.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the pictures and comments, I've been eyeing one of these up for a couple months now. I love the look of it but funds are a tad low so have held off. The fact you get 3 strap options and this is an LE of only 150 pieces makes it all the more tempting... I have just under 7 inch wrists and like a 36mm, but prefer something a little larger. This would seem to fit the bill!

John

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks great. Particularly like the red date and red anchor.

Lovely watch, i was interested in this myself but never sent the message asking about it.

If you ever sell it i'd be very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Thanks for the pictures and comments, I've been eyeing one of these up for a couple months now. I love the look of it but funds are a tad low so have held off. The fact you get 3 strap options and this is an LE of only 150 pieces makes it all the more tempting... I have just under 7 inch wrists and like a 36mm, but prefer something a little larger. This would seem to fit the bill!

John

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app
    No probs, I'm afraid my iPad camera doesn't show it off very well; my 'proper' camera doesn't focus at close range but i'll try and get some better pics soon. Let me know if you'd like to know anything.

I've never seen the original Captain Cook in the flesh, in some pics the dial looks brown and in others more silvery, but both have a sunburst effect. I love the flat matte grey.
    Last edited by ped; 5th March 2019 at 12:44.

Craftsman
    Cool little piece that, congrats!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I kept looking at that.. lovely thing and radio's finishing is really decent. I do like a greyscale watch.

I’ve put it on a darker grey Perlon which matches the bezel really well. The Watchinsession straps are just as good as the Eulit ones except for the buckle, which I’ve swapped over.

Images in first post have disappeared so have updated it with a new pic!
    Last edited by ped; 6th March 2019 at 15:51.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that was meant to be in the Friday thread, never mind :)

Master
    Very fifty fathoms and I like that.

I also like the idea of owning a Rado, but so far I have never got round to it, really not sure why.

BH weekend coming up, I might go shopping!

Very nice indeed! (And I love a perlon, they've become my favourite strap recently.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Very fifty fathoms and I like that.

I also like the idea of owning a Rado, but so far I have never got round to it, really not sure why.

BH weekend coming up, I might go shopping!
    I’ve never seen a Captain Cook in the shops, they only seem to stock the fashion types.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Very nice indeed! (And I love a perlon, they've become my favourite strap recently.)
    Thanks yes me too, I’ve become an expert in cutting them to the right length too so there’s no excess. Annoyingly they’re hard to find in 19mm but I managed to find a few because Watchobsession measure them for me (the 20mm size varies a little)

Nice little thing more watches should use red date

Master
    V attractive watch.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I’ve been wearing it on a perlon for ages now but yesterday I randomly decided that I didn’t give the NATO that came with the watch a proper go. In fact it came with three straps; there was also a leather band and a leather NATO.

You know what, now I’m used to the watch I really like it. The grey is a perfect match for the bezel and the size fits me well. I like that the keepers are actually grey leather and the strap is the right length so there’s no need to tuck under the excess, something I really don’t like about normal NATOs.

I’ll keep the Perlon for definite but will probably rotate between them both.

Craftsman
    Not a brand i've any experience with. Congrats, good pickup!

Apprentice
    Lovely this.

I saw this in 42 and 46 mm.
    46 mm is Ti and looks obscenely large.
    42 mm on a beads of rice bracelet was just lovely.
    Almost bought it but held back. Will definitely look into it again.
    BTW, saw the Golden Horse reissue which is also quite lovely.