closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tax added on the end of order...?! [emoji35]

Tax added on the end of order...?!

I recently wanted to order some straps from cheapestnatostraps.
    All worked out great, I found some nice ones, god pricing, discount codes, etc., but before payment the VAT tax is added. That got me angry so I gave up.
    It s kind of sneaky to state prices without tax that you have to pay on the end!

Same thing happened when I wanted to order daily quarz beatter from Momentum watches (shipping from EU) and just on the end, after picking and decision, the +TAX appear...what?You thought when I got there I will push through ??? Well, I find that unfair toward buyer and I am not buying!

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

Yes indeed. I don't mind if they specifically state without tax after the given price (and this allows for export to regions without such taxes), otherwise it is very shabby treatment!

Master
    They announce prices without VAT for the customers outside of EU. It is in compliance with law, you just have to point it out somewhere on site. In small letters. Smaller the better.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Yes indeed. I don't mind if they specifically state without tax after the given price (and this allows for export to regions without such taxes), otherwise it is very shabby treatment!
    Agreed. If they're clear about it then there's no issue, but so often on trade sites especially, they don't make it clear.

Most of time when I buy online it s fair, few times it was sneaky and tax is added on the very end of order...

Master
    Borealis do the same but at the Portuguese rate of 23%!!!

And do you find that annoying? IMO it should.be stated atvthe beginning that VAT will be calculated for EU buyers...

Master
    Law is clear: any VAT deduction has to be announced on site.

Only thing that it does not have to be announced in 3ft neon letters.

Classic clicbait. Oooh nice and cheap straps... And then: surpriiise.

Tbh you can find similar straps on bay from chinese vendors ( probably from same factory) for 1/3 of the price of CNS. Same quality.

From their website:-

All prices is shown in USD. On purchase within the EU, 25% tax will be added to the price. On purchases ordered from other places in the wide world there are no additional fees.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Law is clear: any VAT deduction has to be announced on site.

Only thing that it does not have to be announced in 3ft neon letters.

Classic clicbait. Oooh nice and cheap straps... And then: surpriiise.

Tbh you can find similar straps on bay from chinese vendors ( probably from same factory) for 1/3 of the price of CNS. Same quality.
    Yes, I buy with aliexpress ap...quite satisfied

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

All prices is shown in USD. On purchase within the EU, 25% tax will be added to the price. On purchases ordered from other places in the wide world there are no additional fees.
    It is unfair to state just the neto price, when you know it is not the final price. I just dont like it

If Brexit ever happens we may prefer to see prices w/o VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Depending on agreements, we'll still need to factor that into the landed cost anyway. That plus the handling fee of the mail/courier service which stings hugely on cheaper items!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Depending on agreements, we'll still need to factor that into the landed cost anyway. That plus the handling fee of the mail/courier service which stings hugely on cheaper items!
    Yes appreciate all of this. VAT will be UK VAT though, so seeing foreign VAT free prices on a website will be a start.

Buying stuff from US, Japan, Australia though I've never noticed not paying their VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, but you ll probably have to pay customs+VAT on import

Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    …*It s kind of sneaky to state prices without tax that you have to pay on the end!
    Hm. That’s how it is for all of us in the US. I guess it depends upon what you’re used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    So there it is. Is that misleading?

Most European sites I shop let me set whether I’m in the EU or outside, and set their prices accordingly. Or label prices “without VAT” where appropriate. Is that what this site hasn’t done?
    Last edited by ChromeJob; 4th March 2019 at 22:31.

I am just not use to it. Whether I ordered my straps from ebay, aliexpress or directly from traders I knew at the moment what is the cost. Here I did at the very end. The feeling is that I have to pay more and that I dont like...

Last edited by martyloveswatches; 4th March 2019 at 20:05.

Craftsman
    Nothing sneaky about it at all .

Everything should be priced ex vat , it would alert people to how much tax we pay our respective governments.

Paying another band of tax out of taxed income, they’ve got us all ways.

You order Seiko from local (EU) web site and you see the price when looking at the watch. You order Borealis it is charged Tax+ on the very end. For me that is sneaky

Craftsman
    You order Seiko from local (EU) web site and you see the price when looking at the watch. You order Borealis it is charged Tax+ on the very end. For me that is sneaky

So the watch ex vat is obviously quite a bit cheaper than you’ve seen it elsewhere, surely that’s enough for you to proceed with caution for starters .

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill persisting with this point.

Nothing sneaky at all , buy elsewhere if you’re not happy.

That is what I am doing, buying elswhere. And nothing wrong with al of this, just starting a discussion...
    When you are buying a car, or even in the store, you can see the prices per piece, per kg, you have the net prices and gross prices (+vat) at the same label, all in order for not missleading the buyer.
    And if I dont like few sellers that I think are sneaky or it is just their marketing strategy, that is my point, my stand

Last edited by martyloveswatches; 4th March 2019 at 21:36.

I see bulk discount for 5+ items, free shipping for over 25$ and 7.95$ price. Then I want to buy it and +VAT "voilla" its charged on the end.
    So where does this piece cost 7.95$ then???

I'm beginning to see Marty's point. Borealis are based in the EU, Portugal. So why are their prices quoted in US dollars? Don't most companies in EU countries quote prices in Euros, with VAT included, and EX VAT prices called out separately? That's how Steinhart does it. (shrug)

OUR EMAIL ADDRESS
    sales@borealiswatch.com

OUR PHYSICAL ADDRESS
    Cortion, Lda.
    Av Miguel Bombarda N39 2Esq
    2700-581 Amadora
    PORTUGAL

https://www.borealiswatch.com/terms-and-conditions/

Oh wait, we were talking about CheapestNatoSTraps.com. Where the * are they located? https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/pages/about-us

OP don't go to the US then, your brain will melt as most States list all prices without tax, so you always get charged more than the advertised price!

Drives me mad when I go there (how hard would it be to show the total price?), but as someone already said, I guess you get used to it if it's the norm for you.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    OP don't go to the US then, your brain will melt as most States list all prices without tax, so you always get charged more than the advertised price!

Drives me mad when I go there (how hard would it be to show the total price?), but as someone already said, I guess you get used to it if it's the norm for you.

M

Agree but i think this because each state has a different “ state tax” and a couple do not charge a state tax at all so the manufacturer labels at base price.

Obviously takes a little time and math, but it is easier when done in first step (list price). Some do it, some (examples Borealis and CNstraps) dont. Nothing wrong, I just dont like it and thats it...

…Drives me mad when I go there (how hard would it be to show the total price?), …
    Because the sales tax varies a bit from place to place.

That's only an issue if the price is printed on packaging, which it rarely is...

Sales Tax varies across the EU, but everyone manages to show the price including tax...

Prices are shown on shelf edges or on labels added in store.

From what I've seen when in the US, that's pretty much the same there, just you have to add a different amount depending on where you are and sometimes what the product is!

Sorry Americans, but it's (The vast majority of the time) a daft idea!

As a matter of interest, does anyone know of anywhere else that it's a common practice?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 5th March 2019 at 11:25.

Craftsman
    .........As a matter of interest, does anyone know of anywhere else that it's a common practice?

M
    Canada.

Craftsman

M

God help him if he went for a meal in America , menu price then add sales tax then add up another 20% gratuity.

Poor bloke would have a meltdown.

Everything on my truck is plus vat, I only discuss and quote pre vat prices, irritating I know but that’s how it’s always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Everything on my truck is plus vat, I only discuss and quote pre vat prices, irritating I know but that’s how it’s always been.
    I assume that's business to business though, where VAT is something that's passed on each time, so not really a COST in the final analysis, and perhaps not something people are paying directly for that moment.

It's not like buying something clearly marked in a shop as $4.95, proffering a $5 bill and then being told it's another 37 cents or whatever...

Anyway, I appreciate the US do it all the time and I'm sure they're used to it, but it's just a strange idea to have a hidden cost to everything!

M

Yes, for me it is somewhat strange that some shops (B2C) state the final price while others state net price (talking about the online shops in EU)...

Journeyman
    I recently wanted to order some straps from cheapestnatostraps.
    All worked out great, I found some nice ones, god pricing, discount codes, etc., but before payment the VAT tax is added. That got me angry so I gave up.
    It s kind of sneaky to state prices without tax that you have to pay on the end!

Same thing happened when I wanted to order daily quarz beatter from Momentum watches (shipping from EU) and just on the end, after picking and decision, the +TAX appear...what?You thought when I got there I will push through ??? Well, I find that unfair toward buyer and I am not buying!

They do this alot in Europe, I always check if its inc first

I assume that's business to business though, where VAT is something that's passed on each time, so not really a COST in the final analysis, and perhaps not something people are paying directly for that moment.

It's not like buying something clearly marked in a shop as $4.95, proffering a $5 bill and then being told it's another 37 cents or whatever...

Anyway, I appreciate the US do it all the time and I'm sure they're used to it, but it's just a strange idea to have a hidden cost to everything!

M
    Most of my business is to mechanics who are not vat registered, and if you ask a price I will quote you an ex vat and charge you the vat at point of sale, which is rarely spoken or asked about. Amazingly the most questions are asked by vat registered people who claim it back anyway, but seem to forget that at point of purchase.

Master
    That's only an issue if the price is printed on packaging, which it rarely is...

Sales Tax varies across the EU, but everyone manages to show the price including tax...

Prices are shown on shelf edges or on labels added in store.

From what I've seen when in the US, that's pretty much the same there, just you have to add a different amount depending on where you are and sometimes what the product is!

Sorry Americans, but it's (The vast majority of the time) a daft idea!

As a matter of interest, does anyone know of anywhere else that it's a common practice?

M
    Borealis dont,, and they charge Portuguese rate not the EU country they are going to. Also because they charge in dollars there is an extra cost if you aren't from USA.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Borealis dont,, and they charge Portuguese rate not the EU country they are going to. Also because they charge in dollars there is an extra cost if you aren't from USA.
    I really meant shops, etc, rather than online, although I'll admit we're at a bit of a tangent to the original moan about straps with that!

No idea why they'd have such a mishmash on their site, maybe it's hosted in the US or something?

M

Yep, you see the price...then portuguese tax, shipping I suppose and paying in $ which on paypal currency isnt that good...

Master
    I’ve had the same experience with CNstraps - although I did continue with the order it wasn’t anywhere near as good value as I’d thought at the start of the process.

It would be very easy to make the whole process more transparent on a website - just enter (or detect) location and modify pricing accordingly. It left me with the slight feeling that I had been misled.

I realize in the end CNstraps have good choice and prices, but its like what you said, you get that feeling (al least a little) that you have been misled