closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car SOS

Car SOS

It’s back. Here endeth the PSA.

But Tim shaw is in it

He is.

But his shitness doesn’t outweigh the greatness of Fuzz and the rest of it. This first episode of the season still brought a tear to my eye at the handover. Nothing else on TV comes close to that sort of emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    He is.

But his shitness doesn’t outweigh the greatness of Fuzz and the rest of it. This first episode of the season still brought a tear to my eye at the handover. Nothing else on TV comes close to that sort of emotion.
    I think my current favourite is the Lancia Fulvia. Quite stunning when they'd finished with it.

Master
    Really like this show and even really like Tim, I think him and Fuzz make a good team and balance each other well. Also like the emotional element and that they do some good things for good people. So much better than the other show with that hateful little fat bloke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Tim’s a bell end .

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I think my current favourite is the Lancia Fulvia. Quite stunning when they'd finished with it.
    One of my all time favourite cars, now I just need to find the programme.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    But Tim shaw is in it
    +1

What should be a decent programme is completely ruined by that idiot presenter and the fake jeopardy they always have to inject.

I cancelled the series record as I just cant watch it without getting annoyed by Tim Shaw.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Tim’s a bell end .
    A complete bell end and makes this programme unwatchable.

To be fair Tim can come over as a bellend with the fake 'getting deals' segments. However he is never over the top and for me strikes the right balance of empathy come handover. Compared to a lot of other presenters in car shows he is certainly watchable. Fuzz is ace though

A car show with Fuzz & Edd China would be amazing

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post

A car show with Fuzz & Edd China would be amazing
    That would seem to be a very good idea, obviously I am hoping that their segments aren't faked too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Tim and Fuzz make a good team but also find the deal getting irritating - it so much more interesting when they show experts at work.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    A complete bell end and makes this programme unwatchable.
    Just like Mike Brewer was a blight on 'wheeler dealers'.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    That would seem to be a very good idea, obviously I am hoping that their segments aren't faked too.
    I stopped watching WD mainly because of the magical too obvious miracles at the cheap. There were too many moments I thought ´and here is one we prepared earlier´ when Edd miraculosly recovered from imminent set backs that are the rule rather then the exception with older cars.

Oh and the fat bloke´s foreign trips were tow curling. I had ´vergüenza ajena´ (English does not seem to cover it appropriately) of how he behaved without even being remotely conscious of it.

Not bothering with car shows anymore. If anything it is car fiction abused to air a fake reality show. The only one that I think came close to reality was Chip Foose´s make overs. They did not gloss over disasters nor the expense. Just needed to ignore the female angle thrown in and the fooling the owner part. Thought the technical bit worth it.

Ok, back to my own car reality; chasing lighweight rims to replace the perfectly ok OEM ones without breaking the bank and/or the relationship with mountain love.

Master
    I only recently realised that idiot Shaw was this bloke:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4122842.stm

I've deleted the programme from the recording list as I just can't stand him.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Just like Mike Brewer was a blight on 'wheeler dealers'.
    I don't mind Tim. He and Mike Brewer are genuine petrolheads and know their stuff. Brewer has two dealerships the last time I looked. One in London, the other in Sheffield. I've watched his YouTube vids. He knows what people think of him but doesn't give a damn, except when his kids were threatened after the split.

I find I'm starting to prefer the new WD with Ant. More money spent on the cars. Still the same DIY that Edd did.
    I watched Edd's last YouTube. He's not a worker, a grafter. He's a dreamer. No new plans he's admitting to, and the two attempts he's made so far have failed. I think he threw his dummy out - there were a few acid comments in that vid about Mike. In some ways I'm surprised WD lasted as long as it did with the pair of them. Ant takes less of Mike's nonsense.

Master
    The 7 day land rover rebuild episode, was just about the worst program I’ve bothered watching for a long time..

Studio audience, Ross Kemp, Rick Wakeman, stupid questions to “establish” their petrol head qualifications, stupid 4x4 monster truck, and hardly any coverage of the Land Rover resto...

A program of nonsense and nauseating content absolute rubbish.

I was pleased to see them get back on track with the old format with the TR4 restoration...

no drama/fake bust ups or real, time restraints , means no car show, unfortunately they are all made for more than petrol heads they have to be its a business making theses programmes and selling and a ratings driven business. but thank god the cockney and Indian have gone as it was nearly as bad as the cockney and Canadian efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    What should be a decent programme is completely ruined by that idiot presenter and the fake jeopardy they always have to inject.

I cancelled the series record as I just cant watch it without getting annoyed by Tim Shaw.
    completely agree. I stopped the watching because of him and the fake joeprdy/ deadlines etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    He is.

Agreed! I really cried a few times watching...

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    They did a TR4A it was on last Thursday I think

Grand Master
    I like car SOS, even though I find Tim Shaw irritating at times. However, the 7 day Land Rover episode disn’t work for me, the monster truck thing seemed silly and the segments featuring guests was a bit lame.

I also like Wheeler Dealers and I actually like Mike Brewer. I preferred Ed China to Ant, and I preferred the more down to earth format based in the UK rather the the States.

These programmes need to strike a balance between technical content, human interest and entertainment. Generally I think they’re all OK, I’d prefer virtually all technical stuff because I’m like that, I always like the original Top Gear when it was basically a magazine programme too.

The worst example of the genre was the one with the bald cockney shouty bloke and the Canadian, that grated with me because it was totally fake.

I find the American shows entertaining too and I confess to being a big fan of Fast and Loud. Also enjoy Misfit Garage, without fail both these shows make me laugh at some point in each episode!

Master
    That was great. Made even more special due to the fact that I had a Lancia Fulvia in my 20's. Threw loads of time and money at it and in the end had to sell it and watch it get trailered away. Just wish I'd kept it and parked it up somewhere...love the style and design of that car.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I like car SOS, even though I find Tim Shaw irritating at times. However, the 7 day Land Rover episode disn’t work for me, the monster truck thing seemed silly and the segments featuring guests was a bit lame.

I also like Wheeler Dealers and I actually like Mike Brewer. I preferred Ed China to Ant, and I preferred the more down to earth format based in the UK rather the the States.

These programmes need to strike a balance between technical content, human interest and entertainment. Generally I think they’re all OK, I’d prefer virtually all technical stuff because I’m like that, I always like the original Top Gear when it was basically a magazine programme too.

The worst example of the genre was the one with the bald cockney shouty bloke and the Canadian, that grated with me because it was totally fake.

I find the American shows entertaining too and I confess to being a big fan of Fast and Loud. Also enjoy Misfit Garage, without fail both these shows make me laugh at some point in each episode!
    There's nothing wrong with liking Fast and Loud, some of it is silly but generally a good watch, Chasing Classic cars seems reasonably honest, but things do seem to happen as if by magic.

Blog Entries
    Fuzz Townsend and Edd China working together... Now, that would be TV for car-geeks! Just up my alley. I remember a handful wonderful series with vet Mark Evans. Now, that was nice - and honest about the costs as well!

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Fuzz Townsend and Edd China working together... Now, that would be TV for car-geeks! Just up my alley. I remember a handful wonderful series with vet Mark Evans. Now, that was nice - and honest about the costs as well!

Menno
    Agreed

n2

Menno
    + 2

Menno
    Used to have breakfast with the show mechanic most week days at the B&B we shared when working down in Surrey. A 4X4 is Born was my favourite.

Car bodgery has become the new DIY/home bodgery, which was the new gardening bodgery. All with too much emphasis on profiteering and faux jeopardy.

Mark Evans was very watchable, knowledgeable and honest about the pitfalls and problems. I especially enjoyed his "A Racing Car Is Born" series.

What we need is a series with Fuzz Townsend and Mark Evans (and/or possibly Edd China or Ant Anstead) on the spanners, with voiceover/commentary by James May.

I'd watch that.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

It's all very well wanting an oily rag programme but it has to pay its way and that means drawing in a wider audience - and that means an entertainment aspect. I love the Project Binky YouTube vids but it's hardly mainstream. No way would that ever get on telly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Car bodgery has become the new DIY/home bodgery, which was the new gardening bodgery. All with too much emphasis on profiteering and faux jeopardy.

Mark Evans was very watchable, knowledgeable and honest about the pitfalls and problems. I especially enjoyed his "A Racing Car Is Born" series.

What we need is a series with Fuzz Townsend and Mark Evans (and/or possibly Edd China or Ant Anstead) on the spanners, with voiceover/commentary by James May.

I'd watch that.
    How could I've missed him! Of course, he needs to be in! All his solo-programs are worth watching. Entertaining and educative.

Menno

I agree with some of the comments, but it's still one of my favourite car shows. I'm a petrolhead who is not at all mechanically minded, but I love seeing what they start off with and how it finishes.

I always record it so I can forward the fake haggling bits though!

Blog Entries
    How could I've missed him! Of course, he needs to be in! All his solo-programs are worth watching. Entertaining and educative.

Menno
    Townsend and China restoring an old(er) car; Evans and May for an interesting & educational swap to electric or hybrid. Why not. I think that Evans and May are the dedicated guys to introduce this sort of conversions to the conservative classic car fraternity,

(** I think that I just posted a new format here. May need some help from lawyers here on the forum, when the time comes. And, 10% of the revenues to the Fundraiser of course).

Menno

Not keen at all on Tim, I didn't used to think too much of Mike but I have to say in the recent series he seems much better, some of the things he goes off to do and then tries to do himself I do find really inter4sting in a 'I wondered how they did that' type of way.

Ant taking over from Edd, seems okay to me, a program with any combination of Ant/Edd/Fuzz wouldn't work at all, all three of them are too similar.

While some really knock Mike, I have watched the film when he was in the back of the Chinook under fire and after checking he didn't have any holes in himself he genuinely seemed to be in awe of the others there and concerned for their wellbeing. I'd happily sit down and have a pint with the guy.

This latest WD series has been pretty good. Ant has explained stuff in detail, in just the Edd fashion, and they have just a touch more money for some of the cars they do.

The last episode was a double header where they turned a '67 Barracuda into a 600bhp dragster. Waste of a Barracuda for me, but it was still interesting. New heads, high lift cam, two speed Powershift autobox custom made, supercharger, straight through side exhausts. 0-100 in 11.2 secs. I got the impression it was a commission because it's now in a museum.

I'm just reading Edd China's new book, which I'll comment on when I finish it.

Wasn't he in Dr Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Wasn't he in Dr Who?
    ?
    Edd's an engineer. He made one or two of Top Gear's weirder vehicles.

I've seen most of these shows and as said too many are plagued with the fake jeopardy and deadlines.

The early Fast n Louds were memorable, also the spinoff Misfit Garage.

My pick though would be Bitchin' Rides. Some of their work is truly jaw dropping.

I noticed the name of the show was too non PC for the UK and have seen it called Kindig Designs, after it's owner Dave Kindig.

Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    I've seen most of these shows and as said too many are plagued with the fake jeopardy and deadlines.

The early Fast n Louds were memorable, also the spinoff Misfit Garage.

My pick though would be Bitchin' Rides. Some of their work is truly jaw dropping.

I noticed the name of the show was too non PC for the UK and have seen it called Kindig Designs, after it's owner Dave Kindig.

Totally agreed. Dave Kindig is one of the top builders in the world. I would add Fantomworks and Chip Foose. I also have a soft spot for Fast n Loud (with Arron).

Ant Anstead (For the love of cars) was excellent and I wished he has simply stuck to making films about cars in his workshop.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Dave Kindig doesn't work with unreal deadlines. Some of his creations take two years to build - but that's edited out as if it's an ongoing, fluid-like project. The sheet-metal work and the prep before painting take -almost literally- ages. And I think that there's a pleasant atmosphere in the shop.

Phantom Works: the same: they add a timeline under every scene. Knowing a thing or two about restoration, I would say that the timeline isn't too far from reality. So is the stack of paper at the end: the bill... Having said that, I don't like that Dan person. I wouldn't be one of his employees.

Menno

^
    The time does crop up now and again, and the director shows the changing Utah weather, from deep snow to thundering rain to sweltering heat. They remarked that one paint job took three months.
    It is an excellent programme, but I like some of the others too, but get a little tired of their fooling around. The Diesel Brothers is one example of that.

?
    Edd's an engineer. He made one or two of Top Gear's weirder vehicles.
    It was my feeble attempt at some kind of humorous comment....

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Tim_Shaw

Ah. I do think I noticed that when I watched the episode, but of course it didn't click in relation to this thread. ;)

You should tune into Iron Resurrection with Joe Martin, brilliant car builder can do it all... amazing talent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Tim’s a bell end .
    Of the highest order

Journeyman
    The time lines are so fake it puts me off, think Tim’s ok personally?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    completely agree. I stopped the watching because of him and the fake joeprdy/ deadlines etc

^
    Cutting off your nose to spite your face. I rewatched the T4 Caravelle today. They always make an excellent job, and they made it clear how long it might take.
    Tim is a bit arrogant at times but they make a good team, and the whole programme is very good. Heaven alone knows what budget they have for some of those cars.

on thing I think they all suffer from is some continuity issues, does not help being a anorak like me, but one minute you see a shot & the car has a full interior next in not even painted , sos are practically bad I find , but I have seen it on all , the new WD is the same , some good technical parts with ant but again it clear not all the work/ repairs done gets into the programme .