closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Plans 2019?

Master
    First proper holiday in over 5 years, so on the 29th of April I'll be touching down in Reno to spend a few weeks staying with a sheriffs deputy. Plan to eat a boat load of good food, get out onto the mountains skiing, into the desert to shoot a ton of guns, and possibly do some hunting, and a few days at his mining claim in california to try and find myself some mother lode. Hoping I can take him a white Everest as a gift. He's a watch lover as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    With sea views of the power station

n2
    Absolutely - love it there :)

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Absolutely - love it there :)
    The pub is a good place to stay, comfy rooms with good food and ales

n2
    Last edited by number2; 2nd March 2019 at 19:13.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Thank you…. We’ll look a for a flea pit in Porto Vecchio then as I want to get out and about!
    Corsica is the only place I keep going back to. Never had a bad holiday: south west, south east, east, north east, north. Decent towns, beaches, forests, mountains, walks, rose wine (not for me). Food isn’t the world’s best, charcuterie good but salty, usually BBQ unless going into town. Some decent places through Airbnb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from Cyprus and going (at least) twice more this year

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Had a really tough end to 2018 and this year things are dragging their heals. So my mind is off to holidays what are people’s plans this year?

I’m already counting down to mine 86 days! This year we are again off to Estartit in Northern Spain. A place that holds a dear place in my heart having got married there and also scattered mums ashes there, this year we are there for our 3 wedding anniversary and also to scatter my dads ashes with mums.

Love this place

As a family we were in Estartit in 1986. It was the year of my O-Levels. I remember ringing school from a very hot phone box to get my results. Then thinking about how I would break the bad news to my parents... I bet it's changed a fair bit.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    As a family we were in Estartit in 1986. It was the year of my O-Levels. I remember ringing school from a very hot phone box to get my results. Then thinking about how I would break the bad news to my parents... I bet it's changed a fair bit.

I’m sure it’s changed a bit but not a great deal. Where was it you stayed?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The pub is a good place to stay, comfy rooms with good food and ales

n2
    We stayed at The Ship a couple of years ago -plus our dog - and had a great time. Lovely food and long walks on the beach. We're renting a cottage this time but are sure to visit The Ship!

Master
    Two weeks with a group of Scouts heading down to Croatia on a coach.

A short break to France with my daughter and some friends of ours to watch the England ladies in the World Cup.

Somewhere with my lad when he can decide where and a weekend or two away with the wife in the uk if we can get cover for the kids and the animals

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I’m sure it’s changed a bit but not a great deal. Where was it you stayed?

An apartment in the centre owned by a family friend. I'm afraid it was so long ago I struggle to remember more. We drove there - which in 1986 from rural Herefordshire was quite a trek.

Craftsman
    Been to Frankfurt, Beijing, Melbourne, Shanghai & Stockholm so far this year.

3x trips to Barcelona, Maldives, Johannesburg & Croatia all booked in so far.

Probably going to go new orleans & Oman in the next couple of months.

Decided to put the watch collecting on hold for a year and travel every month at least once a month.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Corsica is the only place I keep going back to. Never had a bad holiday: south west, south east, east, north east, north. Decent towns, beaches, forests, mountains, walks, rose wine (not for me). Food isn’t the world’s best, charcuterie good but salty, usually BBQ unless going into town. Some decent places through Airbnb.

Any specific recommendations of towns?

Holiday Plans 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Any specific recommendations of towns?
    I like Calvi, but don’t get drunk there and find yourself in the Foreign Legion next morning.

Propriano in the SW is okay, but I really like the gulf it is on and the inland towns in the region. The firefighting planes take on water in the gulf, a spectacular sight and amazing flying.

I had a nice holiday in St. Florent. And nearby Bastia is quite good for a large town.

Bonifacio is a spectacular sight. Quiet touristy, didn’t stay in the town but relatively close by in an old Genoese tower on a small holding found on Airbnb.

Inland, quite liked Sartene, spent quite a bit of time in the square drooling over my various ice cream coupes.

Porto Vecchio is the smart, up market town. Have visited, perfectly nice, but not stayed there. I get scruffy on holiday, so can’t compete in the style stakes.

To be honest, we have just at arrived at various places, some on the coast, some inland villages in the mountains without doing much research and have never had a bad time.

I like Corsica because of the close proximity of sea, beaches, mountains, deep green forests, fast flowing cool rivers and streams in deep valleys and excellent walks.

I would say that a car is pretty essential.

Not that many Brits, nothing wrong with them, but it is nice to get away and not hear English voices everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 3rd March 2019 at 12:46.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I like Calvi, but don’t get drunk there and find yourself in the Foreign Legion next morning.

Propriano in the SW is okay, but I really like the gulf it is on and the inland towns in the region. The firefighting planes take on water in the gulf, a spectacular sight and amazing flying.

I had a nice holiday in St. Florent. And nearby Bastia is quite good for a large town.

Bonifacio is a spectacular sight. Quiet touristy, didn’t stay in the town but relatively close by in an old Genoese tower on a small holding found on Airbnb.

Inland, quite liked Sartene, spent quite a bit of time in the square drooling over my various ice cream coupes.

Porto Vecchio is the smart, up market town. Have visited, perfectly nice, but not stayed there. I get scruffy on holiday, so can’t compete in the style stakes.

To be honest, we have just at arrived at various places, some on the coast, some inland villages in the mountains without doing much research and have never had a bad time.

I like Corsica because of the close proximity of sea, beaches, mountains, deep green forests, fast flowing cool rivers and streams in deep valleys and excellent walks.

I would say that a car is pretty essential.

Not that many Brits, nothing wrong with them, but it is nice to get away and not hear English voices everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you!

Norwegian Fjords in May. Mexico in September.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

4.5 hours and counting! Everything packed and ready. 25 hours in a coach to come can’t wait for this time. Family, friends and peace..

Holiday Plans 2019?

I am currently having a bit of down time on the coast of Vietnam
    It’s a lovely place.
    Off to Saigon tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 25th May 2019 at 15:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wife and I are taking the grandkids to Wales in August then we are Sailing from Southampton across the pond to Boston then New York, Bermuda Bahamas finally finishing in Fort Lauderdale on the Celebrity Silhouette

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Out to the Mother in Law's Spanish villa in May half-term for a freeby, 4 day fly/ride motorcycle trip to Corsica with mates in September, Peak District cottage with wife and dog in October half-term, Peak District again just after Boxing Day and staying until the new year - rented a 6 bed house and going with 8 friends and 10 dogs. Looking at either a Fjords or Baltic cruise in August.
    Booked the cruise so that’s a definite and off later today for a quickie to Monaco with my son to see my first ever Grand Prix.

Due to a new route opening I’m off to Chicago for a long weekend in June .
    2star restaurant booked as a birthday treat for me by MrsO.

Family will be in Canada for the summer so I’ll do a couple of trips .

Cuba in November.

Not long back from US and will be back there again around October/November time.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The coach broke down so 2 hour delay getting better now just in France. Another 14 hours on the coach and we will be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

I am currently having a bit of down time on the coast of Vietnam
    It’s a lovely place.
    Off to Saigon tomorrow.
    Good on you to call it Saigon. How many locals still do?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I choose London before brexit

My girls are 16 & 18 in June so probably a last family holiday. Booked a 3 week road trip around California, wanted to do it for years, keeping me going!

We're doing France. And this is a big departure from the last 4 years in a row in Greece.

7 nights near Antibes, Villa+pool. Then fly Nice to Geneva (which was £20 each !!!) and then 14 nights in Morizine (chalet + lakes)

Vive la difference

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Disney Florida, followed by the Disney Cruise in 6 weeks.
    That’s been and gone now. Next one is something completely different — a week in Angelsey in August.

Off to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic for the first time early July and a departure from our usual 2 weeks in Greece most years. Nervously looking forward to it. Don’t like change but the Mrs and kids are bored of the same resort 4 trips in. Coincidentally, cost us nigh on the same for the Caribbean as it does Greece..

Off to Tenerife in July with the kids

Craftsman
    Mrs wanted to stay in the U.K. so 2 weeks in Devon beginning of July, which costs more than our normal 2 weeks in Spain or Portugal and takes longer to get to.
    Week in Cala D'Or October half term.

Apprentice
    We had our honey moon in feb - Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia

A few trips to Germany and one to Slovenia and Austria.

September - 2 weeks in Peru

Not a bad year!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Mrs wanted to stay in the U.K. so 2 weeks in Devon beginning of July, which costs more than our normal 2 weeks in Spain or Portugal and takes longer to get to.
    Week in Cala D'Or October half term.
    Nice part of Mallorca, we usually get a week in Cala Mondrago each year.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    I’m wanting to camp in the UK for a week…. We’d considered other stuff, but, it’s what I want to do…

2 weeks in Burgundy directly afterwards…

My spoilt brat family are kicking off though…. Nothing booked and time running out! I may get my way eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Good on you to call it Saigon. How many locals still do?
    Almost everyone calls it Saigon (It came as a bit of a shock as I was referring to HCM)
    Just landed and most business refer to the old name in some way shape or form in their company name.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Almost everyone calls it Saigon (It came as a bit of a shock as I was referring to HCM)
    Just landed and most business refer to the old name in some way shape or form in their company name.
    This really pleases me. I spent my childhood there. If you get a chance, please let me know if the Cercle Sportif Saigonnais (Saigon's Athletic Club) is still up, or if they took it down and rebuilt afresh (I think they call it Cung Văn hóa Lao Động)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This really pleases me. I spent my childhood there. If you get a chance, please let me know if the Cercle Sportif Saigonnais (Saigon's Athletic Club) is still up, or if they took it down and rebuilt afresh (I think they call it Cung Văn hóa Lao Động)
    Will do!!!!!

I am die fro Spain beaches!

Craftsman
    Last year spent a month driving across the USA from Atlanta to San Francisco with many stops along the way , this year the wife and I are staying in the UK but doing similar , driving up to the Scottish Highlands via York, Alnwick and Edinburgh and heading back down via the Lake and Peak Districts

Fancied a change so thought I’d stay in the uk,Torquay for a week in August,probably go abroad in October half term

Holiday Plans 2019?

Flying to Denver in late August for a family mini road trip around Colorado-New Mexico-Arizona.

The wife and I (sans enfants) are off to Miami in October for a long weekend.

Wife is currently in Singapore for May half term with my youngest visiting and staying with friends. I got the short straw and am staying home with my oldest who is in the middle of his ‘A’ levels (he then goes inter-railing around Europe).

I’m OK with this as I had a mad dash around Vietnam (Saigon and Phu Quoc) for one week in January with an old uni friend.

Journeyman
    Anyone done centre parcs?

Never been to one, theres a new one opening in longford Ireland in August, we've booked in the second week its open.

The 2 of us and a very adventurous 2 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    Anyone done centre parcs?.
    We looked into it for May half term a few years ago, but price was ridiculous for the holiday experience you get.

We went to Greece instead which was cheaper, definitely warmer, much better food and still loads to do.

Overpriced posh Butlins.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    We looked into it for May half term a few years ago, but price was ridiculous for the holiday experience you get.

We went to Greece instead which was cheaper, definitely warmer, much better food and still loads to do.

Overpriced posh Butlins.

Its certainly not the cheapest, but its massively cheaper because we can still get away with a one bedroom apartment and a cot. The 2 bed literally doubles the price. Our wee one loves water so I guess we'll wait and see, try anything once!

I’m sure it’ll be lovely and sounds like you’ve fallen into a nice price point.

I’d have done CP in the past if I could have got a decent price in the school holidays. But, you can easily shell out a couple of grand, and your money goes so much further in the Med outside of July and August.

Craftsman

Never been to one, theres a new one opening in longford Ireland in August, we've booked in the second week its open.

Been to the one in Cumbria and the one in Nottingham. Everything is an add on except the swimming. Expensive 3 or 4 day break.

We are off to Turkey for a week in June followed by a week at home with the dogs. We are staying at the Barut Acanthus and Cenet. Not cheap but lovely.
    In September we are back to Turkey for a week at the Barut Lara Beach for our annual visit.

Yes almost every year since Sherwood Forest opened. My parents used to take us, now we’re taking our kids.

We’ve been to Longleat, Elveden, Penrith, Woburn and Sherwood Forest.

Yes it’s expensive but I don’t think there’s anywhere else quite like it in the UK.

Book activities and restaurants as early as possible, and try the things you don’t normally have the opportunity to do.

One thing that is really makes it for us is the company we go with. We’ve always gone with at least one other family and always had a brilliant time.

Just had a quick week in Kitzbuhel, Austria. Did a long weekend in Vienna in Feb and got 3-4 weeks in Vancouver/ Rockies in August. maybe a city break or 2 before Christmas

Blog Entries
    After the family in Suriname last year I´m now taking my little girl to Cornwall again, which is actually a far more difficult and expensive trip than South America! Having no car means Boats, trains, bus and again boat will take us quite some time.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Holiday Plans 2019?

Went to Turkey last month for a week. Off to Cbeebies land for a long weekend in July and then Wales at lodge for 4 days end of August.

I tend to hang aournd the UK for most of the summer enjoying the weather here then try and go away to warm climates during winter months. However with the little one starting school in September I am going to be subjected to being bent over and paying triple what I have done for going away in the school holidays.
    Last edited by eagletower; 29th May 2019 at 09:57.