closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Getting rid of lawn moss. How?

Getting rid of lawn moss. How?

I've noticed some quite large incursions onto my lawns of moss.

What is the most efficacious and easy method of dealing with it?

Any favourite Moss-be-gone products or is it just raking it out?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Artificial grass?

There are a lot of pretty realistic products around these days.

Master
    You are not alone. I mowed my lawn for the first time yesterday and noticed that about 25% of my lawn is covered in it.

You can buy a moss killer / fertiliser that is very effective such as Toplawn but Monty Don reckons we should copy the Japanese trend of letting it take over as it does look quite good.

So I am going to let it grow and see what happens.

Just buy Iron Sulphate (get it via Amazon in big tubs) It is much cheaper than "Moss-B-Gone" etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Sulpha...hate+for+lawns

Used dilute - it greens grass

Used in Moss-duty- it kills moss as quickly as 24hrs.

Moss goes black and can then be raked out/Scarified out.
    Last edited by blackal; 28th February 2019 at 14:59.

My grass is riddled with it this year, I do have trees, I did some research and it seems that Evergreen 4 in 1 is well liked, I bought a few bags and am hoping to put it down this weekend, then it’s going to be hard work.

Master
    This product promises the Holy Grail of getting rid of your moss by killing it and then making it disappear!

https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/viano...mo-bacter.html

I got some for my mother's lawn a few years ago. I suspect the bloke that does he lawn didn't use it exactly as instructed,. I'd be lying if I said it had worked, as advertised, in my very limited experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You are not alone. I mowed my lawn for the first time yesterday and noticed that about 25% of my lawn is covered in it.
    25%?? I'd LOVE it if mine was only 25% moss!

Master
    Snap! Must be the recent warm weather bringing us to look at our lawns. Ours also is fast becoming a moss incursion! Just been in touch with the local GreenThumb franchise to get it looked at. They have been recommended from looking at older TZ threads on these issues.

Master
    Electric lawn rake Neil bought one three years ago use spring autumn problem solved.
    Paul.

Master
    Expert advice from the Lawnsmith.

https://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/lawn-car...n-moss-control

Why is moss so hated? I love it. Evergreen, don't need to mow it, doesn't give you hayfever, supports quite a bit of wildlife......

Master
    I'm another one who's cheerfully let it take over the lawn. Nice spongy feeling underfoot as well.

Blog Entries
    I rely on ferrous sulphate every year. I live adjacent to a park with very high trees and it takes its toll on the grass. As a matter of fact I've used FS last Saturday. It smells 'rusty' and -be advised- don't walk on the lawn. Part will stick to your soles and once in-house you'll get rusty stains on the floor!

I will leave it on the grass for a few weeks, then start raking it with -of course- a petrol-driven rake. I dislike fancy-pansy electric -or worse- battery-driven machines.

Craftsman
    Ours is about 75% moss now after using the various moss killers and re seeding over the years which turned into a yearly battle . The gardner came round the other night and we were discussing this and basically came to the conclusion to leave it and thin the trees / bushes out . Artificial grass isnt an option having watched a few of the neighbours pillocking about brushing and washing theirs after their cats have dumped / piddled on it

Iron sulphate seems to be the best recommendation, but does it harm the grass?

Sulphate of iron is good. Moss can be a sign of poor drainage, so forking the lawn and brushing in some sharp sand might help.

Watch out for unintended results. I once spread a load of moss killer on my lawn and raked up the copious amounts of black dead moss. This had the effect of attracting the neighbourhood cats to poo all over the lawn. Once they started seeing it as a viable toilet, I could never stop the problem...tried everything. I remember summers of mowing my lawn and flicking cat crap everywhere...on my legs, shoes....

Spent the next few years wishing I never got rid of the moss.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Watch out for unintended results. I once spread a load of moss killer on my lawn and raked up the copious amounts of black dead moss. This had the effect of attracting the neighbourhood cats to poo all over the lawn. Once they started seeing it as a viable toilet, I could never stop the problem...tried everything. I remember summers of mowing my lawn and flicking cat crap everywhere...on my legs, shoes....

Spent the next few years wishing I never got rid of the moss.
    Oh blimey! Now you tell me! Ordered the Aldi electric lawn rake I mentioned earlier. As you say, better moss than cat sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Iron sulphate seems to be the best recommendation, but does it harm the grass?

In mild concentrations- it greens the grass

in strong concentrations - it just kills the moss

*use as directed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Why is moss so hated? I love it.
    You sound like a fungi to be with! (See what I did there? )

Master
    I suppose it is a bit late in the day to mention this, but there is (or was) a good article in this weeks Sunday Times (24th Feb) on moss growing in lawns, in the Property supplement.

Blog Entries
    Couldn't find anything that got rid of the moss like it promised. Then we got an electric scarifier. You won't believe how much it hooks out. Makes the grass look a bit sparse so you might need to scatter some grass seed but worth it.

Similar thing......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I use Green Thumb. I've found them very good.

Thanks everyone, some great advice as usual.

The trouble with moss, apart from its spreading properties is that the mower wheels (motor mower) just sink into it which makes it hard going.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Couldn't find anything that got rid of the moss like it promised. Then we got an electric scarifier. You won't believe how much it hooks out. Makes the grass look a bit sparse so you might need to scatter some grass seed but worth it.

Similar thing......
    He seems to be using that like a vacuum cleaner! I would have thought that you would need to use it going up and down the lawn - one direction at a time!?

I'll see what the instructions on my Aldi special say when it arrives.

I was getting my lawn threads confused. I was referring to my Aldi electric lawn rake posting here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Lawn-Scarifier
    Last edited by David_D; 1st March 2019 at 13:36.

Scarify in runs up and down the lawn.

A week later - do the same, but about 15deg offset from the original runs.

Master
    I saw a small sign in someones garden "I fought the lawn and the lawn won". This garden had no grass just gravel and flagstone plus a few features and statues/ornaments, it looked quite good.
    So when we moved to present location I designed ours to include a 4m diameter circle of grass which takes literally 5mins to mow and the rest is low maintenance bushes and gravel with some ornaments. Makes me laugh to see neighbours labouring over large areas of meadow-type grass that would feed a herd of goats.
    In the next couple of weeks I will don my spiky shoes and clump around my bit of lawn, have a bit of a scrape with the rake then spread some weed n feed. Regular mowing with my small qualcast cylinder about 2 inch trim will keep it happy for the rest of the year.

Dog has done a great job removing the moss from the lawn. Has also done a fabulous job removing the grass too. I've just reseeded the worst areas but it's just feeding the wood pigeons. Close to giving up and just accepting it's fate.

Robot mowers do a good job of getting rid of moss, scarify first for faster results, but they will sort it eventually without. Get a husqvarna automower. I am biased though, I work for them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    He seems to be using that like a vacuum cleaner! I would have thought that you would need to use it going up and down the lawn - one direction at a time!?

I'll see what the instructions on my Aldi special say when it arrives.

I was getting my lawn threads confused. I was referring to my Aldi electric lawn rake posting here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Lawn-Scarifier
    I use mine going up and down in straight lines. Then a month or so later at 90deg to the last time. Like I said you might need to seed it afterwards.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I use mine going up and down in straight lines. Then a month or so later at 90deg to the last time. Like I said you might need to seed it afterwards.
    Absolutely! The closer you look, the fewer blades of grass you see!