closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New blue Alpinist

New blue Alpinist

I don't often like Hodinkee stuff, but ignoring the patronising guff about this being a 'value proposition for young collectors', this is fantastic. Not quite so attractive price wise with the dollar exchange rate and customs duties but still,

https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/40674/click

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I don't often like Hodinkee stuff, but ignoring the patronising guff about this being a 'value proposition for young collectors', this is fantastic. Not quite so attractive price wise with the dollar exchange rate and customs duties but still,

https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/40674/click
    I'll stick with my green. Classier. Blue seems to me, anyway, to be more tool watch than the Alpinist is intended to be.

It appears to be USA only.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I'll stick with my green. Classier. Blue seems to me, anyway, to be more tool watch than the Alpinist is intended to be.
    I do like the green with the gold combination, really unique. But I like this shade of blue too.

Craftsman
    Hodinkee already sold out, and several scalper listings on US eBay at astronomical prices .... looks a bit "meh" to me vs the green one.

Personally I wish they'd go back to the HAQ versions that actually said "Alpinist" on the dial :)

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Hodinkee already sold out, and several scalper listings on US eBay at astronomical prices .... looks a bit "meh" to me vs the green one.

Personally I wish they'd go back to the HAQ versions that actually said "Alpinist" on the dial :)
    The HAQ versions were great I agree.

I do like this blue version but think it's a bit pricey and plain but suppose it's limited addition will appeal.

I have the green one which has a bit of bling going for it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've got the green but I do like the blue, think it's over priced. Be interesting to see what Seiko replace the green with now it's discontinued

I prefer the green. Green goes better with alpine settings than blue, which seems more suitable for divers.

I like blue dials, but like most others, I think the green dial of the Alpinist marks it out as something special, which this lacks.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bugger the US only bit.
    I really like that

I saw a video on this last night and expected to love it, but the numerals being silver rather than gold really takes some of the Alpinist's character away.

Finally a decent strap on an Alpinist though; I imagine that was specced by Hodinkee...

Anyway, I wouldn't have been particularly happy to pay the $600+delivery+tax required to buy one if I had been early enough; it has at least reminded me to get my green faced version serviced.

Very nice .

I was collecting Alpinists for a while and definitely would have tried to track one of those down. When Orient did a US only model they would only ship to US addresses so e-bay.com became the most obvious place to find one. I'm sure in the early days if a few are listed at the same time the primium won't be too bad.

Lovely watch, but a PITA when the manufactures start saying 'Conus only' - I thought that was the preserve of WUS sellers

That's a lovely looking Alpinist... shame there won't be more of them around. Why would Seiko make a fairly affordable and modest product line so limited? They would sell really well alongside the current mainstream models

Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    That's a lovely looking Alpinist... shame there won't be more of them around. Why would Seiko make a fairly affordable and modest product line so limited? They would sell really well alongside the current mainstream models
    Agree, makes no sense. I'd assume that Hodinkee had the idea and stumped up the cash, hence exclusive to them and US only? Just thinking out loud...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    I've got the green but I do like the blue, think it's over priced. Be interesting to see what Seiko replace the green with now it's discontinued
    Its limited edition, has a movement that is now in watches up to 1k and is a sibling of one of seikos modern cult classics. Id say its a bargain at 600 quid.
    The day of the super affordable SARB style seiko is gone. God knows its annoyed me no end, and i regret not picking up a 033 and 065 when they were 300 bucks on seiya. I regretted it so much that i recently purchased a 035 for 400 euros, 100 quid more than it was last year, all because im not willing to pay 1000 euros for the sarx, pretty as it may be.

I think its a handsome watch but very expensive...

The green Alpinists were half that price.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I was collecting Alpinists for a while and definitely would have tried to track one of those down. When Orient did a US only model they would only ship to US addresses so e-bay.com became the most obvious place to find one. I'm sure in the early days if a few are listed at the same time the primium won't be too bad.

Lovely watch, but a PITA when the manufactures start saying 'Conus only' - I thought that was the preserve of WUS sellers
    I ordered one and have had confirmation from hodinkee that it will be delivered to the uk.

The uk seiko boutique price for the green alpinist is £450 anyways so when thats factored in its not so bad a price as such. $2 difference. Obviously internet prices are much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    I ordered one and have had confirmation from hodinkee that it will be delivered to the uk.

The uk seiko boutique price for the green alpinist is £450 anyways so when thats factored in its not so bad a price as such. $2 difference. Obviously internet prices are much cheaper.
    Nice! Look forward to seeing real life pictures when it arrives.

Journeyman
    I really hate companies who think it’s fun to create a buzz with a watch that nobody can buy outside the US, and even for Americans, pissing people off by giving almost no warning and disadvantaging those who lived on the other side of the country (not Hodinkee’s side). I don’t think H made a huge amount from her deal, unless Seiko supplied the watches at SARB prices (c$400). If they did then kerchinkee at hodinkee. But these collaborations leave me cold because they don’t help the majority of fans. For me, I now love my green Alpinist more and I like Seiko and Hodinkee a whole lot less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a big Worldwide community... one of the benefits of making friends across the world is we can help each other obtain these market specials.

I don't think this is I overpriced and it really is quite a looker in the photos.

I didn't realise at first it was a Hodinkee tie in as I saw pics on Insta and didn't read the story. Maybe it would not have happened at all without Hodinkee...

There could well be more stock one day... or if not Seiko at least see there is much love for another Alpinist JDM release?

Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    It's a big Worldwide community... one of the benefits of making friends across the world is we can help each other obtain these market specials.

I don't think this is I overpriced and it really is quite a looker in the photos.

I didn't realise at first it was a Hodinkee tie in as I saw pics on Insta and didn't read the story. Maybe it would not have happened at all without Hodinkee...

There could well be more stock one day... or if not Seiko at least see there is much love for another Alpinist JDM release?
    This was a US limited release - not HODINKEE specifically. Hodinkee has stock and rest went to boutique only. So not sure if it comes to even JDM markets. Though knowing Seiko, there could be about 10 colour variants coming....

It got sold out instantly, already offers at forum for like 1700$. Btw, I dont find it that attractive when compared to SAR0017

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

I really like it. However at that price its just ridiculous, seems a new paint job and a limited run is enough to triple the price.

Yes, agreed. Just buy the original and enjoy

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

I have the green alpinist but like this one as well. Saw some pics on aftermarket bracelet on Instagram that look pretty good as well. Too late unfortunately.

Bruce Williams on Youtube received his and unboxed it in a short video yesterday. It looks really rather gorgeous in the video; none of the photos I've seen show that it has a similar sunburst effect to the green SARB017, and the compass chapter ring is dark blue rather than black to integrate better with the dial... it works.

OK, I have a SARB017 and it's just a re-colour of the same thing but I am a bit sad not to have bought one.

Craftsman
    Must admit I'm a fan, I love the green dial too but I do feel like green as attractive as I find it just doesn't suit me. Blue just goes with anything.

Journeyman
    Saw this by chance the day it was available and were it not for my watch fund being depleted, I probably would have grabbed one. I like my green & gold Alpinist, but I must admit it is a challenge to match it up with most of my wardrobe. The blue, on the other hand, looks wonderful on the bracelet (the green & gold not so much) and I think it will be a much more versatile, if not so classy, watch as the green & gold -017 we've all come to love or hate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    The blue, on the other hand, looks wonderful on the bracelet (the green & gold not so much)
    That's a good point - it does indeed look excellent on the bracelet in the photo above, whereas I've always kept my green and gold one on different brown leather straps.

Of course, the OE bracelet isn't that easy to find, isn't particularly cheap and apparently isn't particularly high quality. And it isn't included so adds to the cost. Aftermarket bracelets tend to need a bit of end-link modification to fit perfectly. All moot, since I didn't get a blue one.

Lovely. Never liked the green one so this is a great improvement imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post

Curious if you received it yet and how you like it. Is it as nice as the pictures?