closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree Pollen Allergy - Are You Suffering at the Moment.

Tree Pollen Allergy - Are You Suffering at the Moment.

Anyone else suffering? My nose is running like a tap and eyes are itchy and red. I think it’s birch pollen that does it for me.

I’ve had this all my life, but only recently connected it to tree pollen as I don’t get hay fever. Also I can’t eat common fruits now, as the tree pollen collects in the skin and gives my mouth an allergic reaction (tingling).

The tree pollen allergy season is much earlier than hay fever season, and kicks off in February. The current unseasonable warm weather has made it worse than usual for me.

So, if you are wandering why you have the sniffles at the moment, but don’t have a cold, it probably you’re allergic to tree pollen.

Yep,
    For the last week or so I've had those symptoms, for a while I thought I had a cold but eventually the penny dropped, my weather app tells me that currently the local pollen count is high.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Yep, me too. Nose is running like a tap and I'm having sneezing fits every 10 mins or so*.....I'm sure my colleagues wish I was WFH today!

*This is despite taking a "1-a-day" antihistamine tablet and several snorts of nasal spray. I ordered a nettie pot, which is due to be delivered today and hope that nasal/sinus rinse helps calm things down a bit.

I’m not sure cycling to work is helping me much. I may as well be snorting the branches.

I get hayfever but usually escape these early tree pollen months. However, I worked at Chelsea Flower Show one year and the stall was on the avenue of plane trees. Within 15 minutes I was ruined. It was worse than any symptoms I'd ever had, even as a child when summers were something to be endured.

After an hour I had to go home because I looked (and felt) like a withdrawing junkie. I can't work at Chelsea now, much to my boss's chagrin

Craftsman
    My son has both tree and grass pollen allergies. He is currently undergoing immunotherapy where he ingests a variety of pollens (programme run by St Thomas') so hopefully we get a good result and the symptoms reduce.

Grand Master
    I also get hay fever, usually start early (late March). I`ve had sore eyes for a week, seemed to coincide with the unseasonal warm weather, so I wondered whether it was pollen-related. Reading this, it seems I`m not alone!

It's always my eyes that cause me problems, I can put up with the other symptoms but I always use antihistamine eyedrops, usually start in April and use them until mid-late July. Can`t get my head around using them in late February!

Very strange weather, can`t ever remember a warm spell like this so early in the year.

Edit: Just done a bit of Googling on this, some of the newspapers have picked up on the early release of tree pollen. However, in true sensational style they refer to 'hay fever misery'! They always paint a picture of people having to stay indoors and having their lives blighted by this complaint; OK there may be a tiny minority of sufferers who do this but for the vast majority it's an irritation (literally) that they learn to put up with, the modern medications are excellent and I`m sure the majority (like me) don't let hay fever stop them doing what they want to do.......but the daft sods who write the papers always have to sensationalise everything and claim it causes 'misery'. FFS it's hay fever, not leprosy!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 27th February 2019 at 12:48.

Master
    Interesting that we are discussing pollen allergy / hayfever in February! I went for a bike ride across the moor yesterday and came back with the sniffles - never imagined it could be tree pollen.

Also interesting to read the comment about tree pollen collecting in the skin of fruit. I noticed a while ago that eating an apple would make me cough. Never really understood why but now I have a theory to work on!

Craftsman
    I remembered this from Russia...imagine living there!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gDLCmZs5dr8

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Also interesting to read the comment about tree pollen collecting in the skin of fruit. I noticed a while ago that eating an apple would make me cough. Never really understood why but now I have a theory to work on!
    Several years ago I developed a mild allergy to apples and pears, not enough to stop me eating them but significant enough to be mildly uncomfortable. I get tingling around the lips and throat for around 10 mins, then it goes away. I've tried washing fruit very thoroughly but it has no effect. Never thought it could be pollen-related.

Allergies are weird, and seem to be on the increase theseadays.

Master
    Just googled "apple allergy" and it appears to be well established topic with people who suffer from hayfever sometimes affected. Also associated links with birch tree pollen allergy, which I have noticed previously. Interesting.

Craftsman
    Grass pollen here.Not kicked in yet but any time soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Just googled "apple allergy" and it appears to be well established topic with people who suffer from hayfever sometimes affected. Also associated links with birch tree pollen allergy, which I have noticed previously. Interesting.
    I’ve had tree pollen allergy all my 50 years, but only figured it out in the last couple of years.

The ‘apple allergy’ has only come on in the last few years. Go figure that one!

Yep. I have only had it for the last 10 years or so. My fruit allergy started about 5 years ago.

The fruit allergy was diagnosed as Oral Allergy Syndrome. I had the skin scratch tests and didn’t react. My GP sent me for tests because I nearly lost my voice, for an hour or so, after eating a plum.

i have some kind of field maple planted extensively around where i live and suffer around may/june when they are flowering. only developed hay fever in the last few years but it seems to be mostly tree pollen and i don't get it as bad as a lot of people.
    have an irritated throat right now but i think thats due to the very bad pollution event happening all over the country (except the government don't like to announce the fact the air is making you ill)

Yep.. started last week for me. Thankfully it only lasts a couple of months for me.
    I take a prescription antihistamine and nose spray which does the trick.

Would recommend anyone who suffers see a GP. Sorted me right out and they give me 3 months of pills on one prescription.

Grand Master
    My eyes were really itchy today and still are now.

Journeyman
    Another sufferer here. Mine's not helped by swimming and will get particularly 'character-building' when the OW season starts for me in April.

Yesterday’s rain has been very welcome as it has knocked all of the pollen out of the air.

Overnight my itchy eyes and steaming nose has disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yesterday’s rain has been very welcome as it has knocked all of the pollen out of the air.

Overnight my itchy eyes and steaming nose has disappeared.
    Ditto 👍
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I recommend getting a Kenalog injection it's life changing

Master
    Yep, normally get the grass pollen but this year I thought it was early, bloomin trees!! Anyway, the missus got me this-for my snotty head cold, but actually works brilliantly for hay fever too. Sterimar, sterile sea water spray, no drugs, a few squirts of this up your hooter throughout the day and it cleans you right out!

Blog Entries

Tree Pollen Allergy - Are You Suffering at the Moment.

I’ve had ‘Hayfever’ since my teens. Always blighted my summers.

Until a few years ago I had the full allergy test that identified tree pollen as the main allergen. Trouble was it struck early and after being sensitised any other pollen would irritate me.

After the results I was advised to take 1-a-day loratadine tablets and Beclometasone dipropionate nasal spray from Feb to Sept.
    Both are cheap over the counter meds.

Works for me.

z

Settled weather is back and so is my tree pollen allergy.

Settled weather is back and so is my tree pollen allergy.
    Mine seemed to be over....... But after this mornings early cycle ride my eyes are itching like a b*****d!

Not a surprise really given how much tree blossom I saw!

Thought I may be coming down with mild symptoms of CV19, but then realised it is late March and the tree pollen season is now underway.

Itchy eyes and a streaming nose for the next six weeks or so for me.

Master
    Don't anti histamines work very well for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Don't anti histamines work very well for you?
    They do help a little, but not enough to make it still miserable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All 3 of us in the house have started in the last week, spell of sunny weather but today windy which is worse combination. I am lucky that 1 pill in the morning
    stops it fairly quickly but tend to wake up a bit bunged up and sneeze a lot for the first 30 mins before the pill kicks in.

Mine started a few days ago. Itchy eyes started today. I also get a very light cough, which I am suppressing when out of the house!

Master
    Thought I may be coming down with mild symptoms of CV19, but then realised it is late March and the tree pollen season is now underway.

Itchy eyes and a streaming nose for the next six weeks or so for me.
    I’ve thought the same had mild symptoms for about 3 weeks I got some birch pollen on my top a few years ago and an hour later I couldn’t see to drive and somebody had to take me to the chemist to get anti histamines

I am really suffering now. This year appears on a different scale for pollen. Literally hundreds of sneezes a day.

I know, in the scheme of things it is no big deal.

Journeyman
    Yes I am. the farmer is doing something in the field and making it worse

Blog Entries
    These girls love it: (although the pollen in the air that causes allergies is not the same size as the pollen collected by bees for protein source):

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/O..._3152-1280.mp4

Yep suffering badly this year. Having to use an inhaler for the first time in a while. Not great given the current situation!

Me too. Must admit my coughing and sneezing in Sainsbury's this PM got me plenty of room to shop!

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=MartynJC (UK);5383088]These girls love it: (although the pollen in the air that causes allergies is not the same size as the pollen collected by bees for protein source):

So, does that mean that sourcing local honey would not help?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Me too. Must admit my coughing and sneezing in Sainsbury's this PM got me plenty of room to shop!
    Had the same thing. Fit as fiddle but due to hay fever had a few uncontrollable sneezes (into my sleeves). Gave me plenty of room to peruse the cheese however.....

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Rob Leeds;5383120]
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    These girls love it: (although the pollen in the air that causes allergies is not the same size as the pollen collected by bees for protein source):

So, does that mean that sourcing local honey would not help?
    Looking at the literature there needs to be more scientific studies done. However I don’t think the pharmaceuticals are too keen to promote natural products over drugs. And also if honey had proven medicinal properties it might become much more difficult to buy - if it is classed a medicine.

So, I would suggest making your own empirical tests to see if eating local (as in UK bee keepers) sourced honey, makes a difference. The pollen in honey is from flowers etc whereas the pollen that causes hay fever is from grasses and trees. Nevertheless - honey is a complex liquid and some swear by its efficacy! It tastes good too!

try whole wax and honey

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=MartynJC (UK);5383405]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post

Looking at the literature there needs to be more scientific studies done. However I don’t think the pharmaceuticals are too keen to promote natural products over drugs. And also if honey had proven medicinal properties it might become much more difficult to buy - if it is classed a medicine.

So, I would suggest making your own empirical tests to see if eating local (as in UK bee keepers) sourced honey, makes a difference. The pollen in honey is from flowers etc whereas the pollen that causes hay fever is from grasses and trees. Nevertheless - honey is a complex liquid and some swear by its efficacy! It tastes good too!

try whole wax and honey
    Thanks,
    I manged to get some local Wakefield honey from a butchers nearby.
    I get hayfever myself but haven't had any symptoms yet.
    However the lads girlfriend has been particularly bad with allergies so we shall see what happens.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Yep suffering badly this year. Having to use an inhaler for the first time in a while. Not great given the current situation!
    Same here. My inhaler usually lasts a year or so because I use it so infrequently but I’ve needed it a few times over the last few days, especially to get a good sleep.

Grand Master
    I’m suffering more than usual this year, started approx 3 weeks ago. I use anti-histamine eye drops to control the itchy eyes, for me that’s the worst thing. Thankfully I don’t suffer badly enough to need inhalers or take tablets, it’s more of a nuisance than an illness, but I never let it stop me doing what I want in summer.

In recent years I’ve eaten honey regularly over the winter, but didn’t this year. Coincidence?......maybe.

I can’t say I enjoy hay fever but I associate it with spring/ summer which I do enjoy, in a funny sort of way I welcome the hay fever symptoms because it means the nice weather is on its way!

Master
    I take tablets daily from late March through to September, but actually the best thing I have found for a good night sleep and not having bad symptoms first thing in the morning is an air purifier in the bedroom. It’s amazing how much dust it sucks out of the air and collects on the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I take tablets daily from late March through to September, but actually the best thing I have found for a good night sleep and not having bad symptoms first thing in the morning is an air purifier in the bedroom. It’s amazing how much dust it sucks out of the air and collects on the filter.
    Any particular air purifier? they seem to vary in price and I presume quality.

Journeyman
    I used to have an Airfree purifier and initially thought it helped me sleep better but I came to the conclusion that it was probably a placebo effect. Reviews seem to vary between, “cured all symptoms” to “did absolutely nothing”. Looking back, I can’t really see how it would work without a fan of some description as convection alone surely wouldn’t be enough to recycle a good proportion of the air in a moderately sized room.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Also interested in this ^^^

I’ve had hayfever for years and always seem to suffer more in spring, but I’m getting absolutely rinsed this year! Keep waking up in the middle of the night because of it. Tablets and nasal sprays etc barely seem to make a dent so I’m open to trying anything really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    I have a Blueair 480i in my bedroom, and some smaller Blueair units in the kids bedrooms. They aren’t cheap, but are well made and I find them effective. Aside from my hay fever I got them to reduce the amount of pollution that my kids breathe, as we live in London.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

well, summer is well and truly here. back to showering 2-3x per day, constant washing my face/eyes in the sink and 3x180mg fexofenadine per day. i give it another 2-3 weeks until i need steroids and an inhaler. i don't mind the tablets and the washing my face constantly but i could really do without the constant pounding headache from sneezing all day, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    well, summer is well and truly here. back to showering 2-3x per day, constant washing my face/eyes in the sink and 3x180mg fexofenadine per day. i give it another 2-3 weeks until i need steroids and an inhaler. i don't mind the tablets and the washing my face constantly but i could really do without the constant pounding headache from sneezing all day, every day.
    Wow, that’s a high dose! Sounds really bad for you

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Wow, that’s a high dose! Sounds really bad for you
    Thanks. Generally it's only the start and the end of the summer so I do get a nice third in the middle where if I shower twice each day and take the tablets I'm fine and get to enjoy it!