closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Helvetia Shock & Waterproof Watches Site Update

Journeyman

Helvetia Shock & Waterproof Watches Site Update

Hello all,

I've just finished a major update to the page on my site ref Helvetia's Shock and Water protected 'Sports' watches.

The update starts from the first shockproof Helvetias in the mid 1920s and their link with Depollier and includes sections on their patent 'floating' spring mounted movement and examples of their watches branded as 'Aero' and 'Aeroplane' in the UK, Huber 'Nautica' and 'Secura' in Germany and Abercrombie & Fitch in the US.

Have a look here: https://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk/1930s-sports-watches

Hope you find it interesting.

Thanks.

Carl

I won't claim the slightest prior knowledge, but that's a great piece of work, thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    Kudos sir
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    enfield, a very interesting website about the Helvetia watches. I assume they're not around today, as they appear to have disappeared during WW2.

With regard to the The Fenchurch Lever Watch 1928, I note it has a face guard on it. I thought these were used primarily in battle situations in WW1. Do you know whether this was a fashion statement by this time, or was the glass too delicate during this time?

Some really handsome watches for sure.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    enfield, a very interesting website about the Helvetia watches. I assume they're not around today, as they appear to have disappeared during WW2.

With regard to the The Fenchurch Lever Watch 1928, I note it has a face guard on it. I thought these were used primarily in battle situations in WW1. Do you know whether this was a fashion statement by this time, or was the glass too delicate during this time?

Some really handsome watches for sure.
    Thanks.

Helvetia made it through to the 1980s but when SGT dissolved, which they were a member of from 1968, then they disappeared. There is a company selling Helvetia watches in Austria now but they have no link to the original that I can see.

The crystal guards were to protect against knocks more than anything else and that could be in a number of situations. The ad in the catalogue is from 1934 so there must have been some call for them still then but I don't think they lasted much beyond as 'unbreakable' plastic crystals were widely used instead of glass by then and there wasn't as much need.

Great job Carl, another enjoyable read. Some of those Hubers are particularly nice.

Master
    Thanks for the 'heads up'. Nice site and obviously a lot of work you've put into it 👍

The work of a true enthusiast. Very well done sir. A credit to the hobby.

A substantial work of genuine research, well presented.
    Well done sir, a real resource.

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Thanks.

Helvetia made it through to the 1980s but when SGT dissolved, which they were a member of from 1968, then they disappeared. There is a company selling Helvetia watches in Austria now but they have no link to the original that I can see.

The crystal guards were to protect against knocks more than anything else and that could be in a number of situations. The ad in the catalogue is from 1934 so there must have been some call for them still then but I don't think they lasted much beyond as 'unbreakable' plastic crystals were widely used instead of glass by then and there wasn't as much need.
    Thanks.